As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Musical Acts

wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2004 in PAX Archive
Did anyone tape this for those of us who couldn't make it? Optimus/Front/Minibosses is nothing short of the holy triumvirate, which I would have creamed my pants to see live.

siggy2.jpg
Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
wombat on

• Options
    TinMan1997TinMan1997 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Front (according to rumor) has a minidisc of his set.

TinMan1997 on
    logo_top.gif
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    The Minibosses ROCKED SO GODDAMNED FUCKING HARD that we must come up with a new term for how hard they rocked. I suggest "fraxed".

And from what I understand, pretty much everything will be on the DVD they put out. That includes the Q&A panels, the concert, and all the rounds of the Omegathon.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    The Geek wrote:
    The Minibosses ROCKED SO GODDAMNED FUCKING HARD that we must come up with a new term for how hard they rocked. I suggest "fraxed".

And from what I understand, pretty much everything will be on the DVD they put out. That includes the Q&A panels, the concert, and all the rounds of the Omegathon.

thank the good jesus lord guy.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I hope the sound is good on the DVD. The sound of the audience needs to be there for the final round of the Omegathon thing.

It's nothing without it.

That, and I need to be able to see these. I missed out.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Optimus WangOptimus Wang Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Legacy wrote:
    I hope the sound is good on the DVD. The sound of the audience needs to be there for the final round of the Omegathon thing.

It's nothing without it.
    Same goes for the concert. Singing along with the Minibosses was beautiful. And I ran into them crossing the street. Fuckin eh.

Optimus Wang on
    Din wrote:
    I'd be Optimus Wang, and come out with just a bathrobe on and drink maple syrup out of a coffee mug.
    ani-me.jpg
  • Options
    SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Having seen the concert and all of the hype that surrounded The Minibosses, I can assertively say that it met the hype. It was just as Tycho described in the news post, when they closed on Metroid to find that all the attendees were holding up various electronic devices in lieu of the more standard lighters. Plus, they received a most righteous introduction from Tycho, "I need to ask you all a favor... make like Jesus and throw up the fucking horns!"

That said, I showed up to see Conney Lin play her grand piano.
    I'm an avid Final Fantasy fan, and really a fan of the RPG genre as a whole, and it truly is rare to achieve the sort of quality that Conney was able to produce in the theater on Saturday night. Uematsu himself is a keyboardist, and it's no simple feat to pull off the rapid timings that go into his epic scores, especially when one considers that Huang's arrangements emulated the orchestra with a single piano.

Next year, I hope to see a return of all the artists from this year, and perhaps PAX could even add to the mix. I'm confident that the logistics will be worked out with the experience from this year. The seating may not even be a big issue if this fabled "main ballroom" is as large as people are claiming it is.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Legacy wrote:

It's nothing without it.
    Same goes for the concert. Singing along with the Minibosses was beautiful. And I ran into them crossing the street. Fuckin eh.

WE ran into them crossing the street. Fucker. :P

Legacy on
  • Options
    LincolnLincoln Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Legacy wrote:

It's nothing without it.

That, and I need to be able to see these. I missed out.
    They better have the "Boop." sound.

Lincoln on
  • Options
    radjagoradjago Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I would give my appendix for a quality boot of the 'bosses set.

radjago on
    PAX East Train Alliance, Metal Gear Line: 2013 || 2012 || 2010
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    i wanted to go to that but i also didn't feel like standing in a line for 3 hours. so i went back to the hotel and chillaxed with some people.

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    LogicLBLogicLB Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    There was something really special that happened during that last song, metroid.

During the slow part in the metroid intro (you know, when you dont press start and let the game run) everyone was humming along to the song like some cult chant. And then everyone brought out their cellphones (or other devices). Then the two miniboss guitar leads walked out in the audience, jamming up the crowd. It was the culmination of all that is nerd, and I've never felt more at home.

I really hope I can feel that agian next year.

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • Options
    RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    hey, i recorded the piano set and about 2/3 of the minibosses set.

Its gonna be a few days, but im gonna get it cut and put into mp3s.

PM me if u want them when im done.

RedBeastMage on
    I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.
  • Options
    chef_socrateschef_socrates Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hey, i was curious about that. I wanted to see the concert, but figured out about the capacity of the theatre a bit too late. So i was wondering about the minibosses...was there some moshing? I know that'd be very difficult in a theatre but...i dunno, there might have been an empty space in the front of the room big enough for like, 50-100 people to go at it. I was just asking because...moshing at a regular concert kicks ass....moshing to videogame music could be... GOD LIKE.

chef_socrates on
  • Options
    LogicLBLogicLB Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    well, alot of people were starting to walk up to the stage and that was cool for a little bit. But once alot of people started to get up there the enforcers broke it up. So we all ended up jamming in front of our seats.

The other side of the event center is like all gym, so I hope they hold the concert in there next year.

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2004
    LogicLB wrote:
    well, alot of people were starting to walk up to the stage and that was cool for a little bit. But once alot of people started to get up there the enforcers broke it up.

Actually, nobody had a problem with it until the Meydenbauer people saw someone get up on stage and half-heartedly jump off. The Meydenbauer people said that they couldn't let things get anywhere near stage diving or they'd have to shut down the concert ... so we came in and sent everyone back to their individual seat (or at least a close approximation). Better that than to stop the concert even for a couple minutes.

And before anyone gets the wrong impression about the Meydenbauer folk ... they were immensely helpful and were just as concerned about making the show a success as we were. But they didn't want to get sued over someone diving off the stage into chairs bolted down to a cement floor. Can't blame them there ...

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    so where are those mp3's?

huh, fucker?

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    wombat wrote:
    so where are those mp3's?

huh, fucker?

A few days is not one and a half...

:P

Legacy on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    Earen wrote:
    LogicLB wrote:
    well, alot of people were starting to walk up to the stage and that was cool for a little bit. But once alot of people started to get up there the enforcers broke it up.

Actually, nobody had a problem with it until the Meydenbauer people saw someone get up on stage and half-heartedly jump off. The Meydenbauer people said that they couldn't let things get anywhere near stage diving or they'd have to shut down the concert ... so we came in and sent everyone back to their individual seat (or at least a close approximation). Better that than to stop the concert even for a couple minutes.

And before anyone gets the wrong impression about the Meydenbauer folk ... they were immensely helpful and were just as concerned about making the show a success as we were. But they didn't want to get sued over someone diving off the stage into chairs bolted down to a cement floor. Can't blame them there ...
    If the concerts for PAX05 are held in the main ballroom, there will be moshpits. And stagediving. And crowdsurfing.

And you KNOW that the Minibosses will want to be back after the absolute love they got from the crowd at PAX04.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    Sigma_100Sigma_100 Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    wooo minibosses!!! i shall see them yet!

Sigma_100 on
  • Options
    RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Heres an update.

Ive been moved the whole shee-bang over from my camera to my computer, but i have to organize, cut edit the files then zip them. And im in college for sound engeneering, so I like to take my time to get quality work done. Im estimating ill be done by sunday night. If anyone has a site to host them off off, it woul be easier for to just let someone put them up instead of me tried to email them or shit like that, since its gonna be alot of MB.

Also, as far as qulaity is concerned, the music is pretty clear. The FF music is very clear, and the minibosses, well, there is a bit of crowd noise, which i will try to deaden to an extent. And you can hear people in the crowd singing/humming quite loudly at points. Just to let u guys know what your in for.

RedBeastMage on
    I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Got to get the crowd humming/immitating 8-bit sound that was what made that concert.

I could mirror it for you, don't think I could be the main host. Especially if it gets wanged.

terrix on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Here is a kinda weak, but possibly the only picture off all of you going faux-lighters with your GBAs and such. (re-posted from another thread)

concertnerds.jpg

I had a good angle to get the picture from, but the first one didn't take very well and then the batteries on my camera died.

It was the nerdiest and yet possibly the most awesome thing I've ever seen.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FrodoelfFrodoelf Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    The Geek wrote:
    Here is a kinda weak, but possibly the only picture off all of you going faux-lighters with your GBAs and such. (re-posted from another thread)

img

I had a good angle to get the picture from, but the first one didn't take very well and then the batteries on my camera died.

It was the nerdiest and yet possibly the most awesome thing I've ever seen.

We were backstage, which was cool, but we totally would have loved to be there holding up our gbas. We were kinda holding them up behind the curtain, but i doubt anyone saw.

Minibosses DID rock, though. We are setting up an interview with them AS WE SPEAK. Oh yes. Minibosses on The Weekly Geek. It will be glorious.

Frodoelf on