As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Night Watch Phalla] - Dark Ones - Game Over: Dark Ones Win!

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    Infidel: I totally called it about Inquisition damage :P

Ah, sorry, that was me calling the Inquisition in on you. :wink:

Shamus on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Palette swaps were art!

Obbi on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shamus wrote: »

No love for your fellow capitalists? :(

Smasher on
  • MaximMaxim Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Day 7 Deaths

(colored by faction, alphabetical order)

Ardor - Light Purist Enchantress
    giltanis - Light Great One
    JoschuaESQ - Dark Fanatic Sorceror
    Quoth - Dark Fanatic Witch
    Rainfall - Dark Witch
    Romantic Undead - Dark Sorceror

Having eliminated all Fanatics on their side, the Dark Others are declared victorious!

I will try to have some reveal material ready soon.

Maxim on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Maxim, would we have won if Ardor hadn't inquisitioned Gil?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shamus wrote: »

No love for your fellow capitalists? :(

Nothing but love, but the law..is the law. 8-)

Edit: Nice job, guys!

Shamus on
    edited May 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

a very good question.

I don't think it'd change the attitude towards the action, though

Obbi on
    edited May 2008
    Obbi wrote: »

a very good question.

I don't think it'd change the attitude towards the action, though

No, but it will help determine his location on my grudge-o-meter.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited May 2008
    from what? "Grudge the fuck out of" to "Grudge the shit out of"?

Obbi on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Nope. The Dark Ones had 28 SP at the end of the game, while the Light Ones had 37SP (45 with giltanis).

Master Spreadsheet
    Master Proboards

More about roles and items coming soon...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    So I one shotted Eri, CJ and Exarch, who three-manned me?

I was attacked three days in a row, dying on the last round, so not exactly a one shot. Also, Giltans joined you in killing me there at the end, ate 7 total levels of attack hehe. This the day after I'd been attacked by no less than four people.

Also, I totally stick by my decision to go for the Fanatic kill win condition, once we had downed three of them it just seemed so much better than an all out war.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Although I wasn't a Purist, I'd like to say that I feel completely vindicated in saying, on day 1, that our odds of success would be better if we went after the Fanatics.

Also, MVP award to Lady Eri.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Also, MVP award to Lady Eri.

I'll second that. Maybe without the internal bloodshed we'd have been able to get the 3:1, but with her witchcraft and some people reading reactions well we took it, so hats off.

Erandus man, I was totally suspicious of you the whole game, you came across as very bloodthirsty. Good thing I was a lowbie with a useless passive perk or I might have gone and done something dumb hehe.

Biggest thing of the game for me was killing off Frostmist errantly.

Exarch on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hilariously I never got to use my damage reduction perk.

Since nobody ever attacked me. What was up with that?

Rainfall on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Hilariously I never got to use my damage reduction perk.

Since nobody ever attacked me. What was up with that?

JoschuaESQ and Durax attacked you. :)

But otherwise I blame the rampant inactivity. The number of "No action" entries on the master spreadsheet is disheartening. I wasn't targeted by anything the entire game.

Last Son on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Various Reveals

Master Spreadsheet
    Master Proboards

Role Effects
    Enchanters and Sorcerors made up the majority of the playerbase. Nothing special about them.

Enchantresses and Witches had the same properties, but could analyze and use special Enchantress- or Witch- only items. If a different player got a hold of these items, they would not be told their use. If a Great One got a hold of these items, they would be told if someone on their team or another team would be able to make use of them.

Shapeshifters could change into Animal Form, giving them an extra point of Offense and Defense. They could also act as a guardian shield for another player, taking their attacks. However, while in animal form only Offense and Defense spells could be cast, and their overall Spell Points was one less than normal players.

Vampires could use The Call with their entire spell point pool to try and prevent their prey from taking any actions, as well as hitting with an amount of unblockable damage equal to an Offense spell of the same level as the spell points spent. However, The Call did not work if the target was too strong, their level meeting or exceeding the level of the vampire. Vampires had one Spell Point less than the normal player.

Light got a bit of an advantage over the Dark with their unique special, and their Enchantress items were much better than the Witch items, in my opinion...

Player Distribution
    Purists started out networked and were composed of a variety of roles. They were able to Investigate two players each night, which acted as a 'Scry' (see Special Spells) that could not be blocked.

Fanatics started out networked and were composed of a variety of roles. They had in their posession a weapon that had a power equivalent to a Level 5 Offense Spell. It could not be powered up, but could be blocked by regular defense spells. One player could use the weapon per night, and the weapon automatically stayed with the group no matter what. The Light Fanatics had a Knife of Light, the Dark Fanatics a Sphere of Darkness.

On the light side was a team of four Purists and eight Fanatics; on the dark side was a team of five Purists and seven Fanatics. It was assumed that the light would concentrate more on their own number while the dark side would concentrate on the other side initially, making the uneven distribution interesting. The Purists were perhaps a little underpowered and understaffed, but their power to Investigate without failure could hold potential for quite a bit of power, considering the Inquisition.

The Light Great One was an Enchanter with 8 Spell Points. The Dark Great One was a Sorceror with 8 Spell Points. Neither were aligned with Purists or Fanatics.

There were no 'spies' in either group.

Perks
    All players received at least one perk from the following list. All Purists and Fanatics started with two perks, All level 1 players started with two perks, and the Great Ones each started with three perks.

Endurance 1 / 2- Start with 110 or 120 max HP (rather than the normal 100)
    Adept 1 / 2 - All attack spells deal 5 or 10 more damage than normal unless negated below effective level 1.
    Offensive- Any attack spell of level 2 or higher automatically receives one extra attack level.
    Resilience 1 / 2 - Receive 5 or 10 less damage from all attack spells.
    Defensive - If 2 or more points of defense are retained, one extra defense level is automatically provided.
    Regeneration 1 / 2- If below maximum, regenerate 5 or 10 HP per turn.
    Drainer - All spells in the drain category cost one less spell point to cast. (Could also use Offense Wands to increase Drain Spell SP)
    Scryer - Able to use scrying spells. (Could also use Support Wands to increase Scry Spell SP) (see Special Spells section)
    Healer 0 / 1 / 2- Able to use healing spells. May heal 5 or 10 more points than expected. (Could also use Defense Wands to increase Healing Spell SP) (see Special Spells section)

Special Spells
    Scry Spells – Scry spells allow you to see the actions of a target player. The level of the Scry spell you cast must be equal to or greater than the 7 minus the Power Level of your target. If your scry spell is successful, you will be informed of all actions taken by your target that night. For example, a Scry spell with 3 Spell Points invested will see the actions of a target if they are Level 4 or weaker, and fail if they are Level 3 or stronger.

Healing Spells – Healing spells allow you to give back some HP to a target (but never above maximum). The more Spell Points you spend on a healing spell, the more HP you heal. Only certain people are skilled enough to be able to use healing spells.

Healing level 1 - Target recovers 20 HP.
    Healing level 2 - Target recovers 25 HP.
    Healing level 3 - Target recovers 35 HP.
    Healing level 4 - Target recovers 50 HP.
    Healing level 5 - Target recovers 70 HP.
    Healing level 6 - Target recovers 100 HP.

Common Items
    These items could be used by anyone:

Offense / Defense / Support Wands

Wands are items that can store power within them. A wand is charged with a certain number of Wand Points. The bearer of the wand can use those points in addition to their own. Your wand also has the Support/Defense/Offense aspect. <A support wand adds levels to any support spell cast./ An offensive wand adds levels to any offensive spell cast./ A defensive wand adds levels to a person’s defense.> Wand points work a little differently than normal Spell Points. One spends wand points in order to gain Spell points. The more Spell Points one wants to add to their offense or defense, the more wand points it costs to do so. The Wand points to Spell Points ratio is indicated by this chart:

WP SP

1 1
    3 2
    6 3
    10 4
    15 5

White Noisemakers

White Noisemakers are items that block scrying attempts. To use a white noisemaker, you crush it in your hand. For one day, any scrying attempts on you will be blocked. White noisemakers can be used only once.

These items were Enchantress use only:

Ring of Aura Recognition

The Ring of Aura Recognition is an Enchantress-only item. It is a ring that can capture a snapshot of an attacker’s aura. Any time the Enchantress holding the ring is attacked, the ring records the aura of the attacker, and the Enchantress learns their full identity (name, level, and character type). If the Enchantress is killed, the ring goes to the Great One for the Light Others. He can then give it to another Enchantress, who can analyze it and find out the identity of every person who ever attacked the Enchantress who formerly held the ring.

The Ring is a passive item; there is no need to send any PMs regarding this item.

Amulet of Generous Protection

The Amulet of Generous Protection is a one-use, Enchantress-only item. The Enchantress who holds it may choose an ally to “watch”. If she or her ally is attacked, and the damage they take would be fatal, then the Amulet activates and a shield is thrown up around both the Enchantress and her ally. All damage to both of them is prevented for that round. Once the Amulet has activated, it disintegrates.

Please send Maxim a PM with the name of the person you wish to "watch". Once you have sent this PM, it will be assumed that you are watching this person for the rest of the game, unless you send another PM changing who it is.

These items were Witch use only:

Glamour Comb

A Glamour Comb is a Witch-only item. It is worn in the hair of a witch. The Glamour Comb casts an illusion over the witch that disguises her. A witch wearing a Glamour Comb appears to be of a different power level and character type than she actually is. The level and character type of the illusion is set at the beginning of the game and cannot be changed each round by the witch. However, if the witch wishes, she can take 2 rounds to change the power level and character type of the Glamour Comb. The witch cannot use the Glamour Comb during these 2 rounds.

Please send Maxim a PM saying the level and character type you would like to appear as. You may choose between Levels 6 through 1, and character types Sorceror, Witch, and Vampire. Every night, send a PM to Maxim saying whether you wish to wear the comb or not. If you do not send a PM, Maxim will assume that you maintained the most recent action you took with the comb. You start out not wearing the comb. If you wish to change the power level and character type of the Glamour Comb, PM Maxim with that request.

Conversation Stone

A Conversation Stone is a Witch-only item. It is a small stone that can easily be placed in someone’s pocket. A witch in possession of a Conversation Stone may choose a target at the beginning of the game. The target will be given the Conversation Stone. From then on, the witch may communicate with that person anonymously, through an alternate account that will be set up for this purpose. The witch may not retrieve the stone unless the player in possession of it is killed. If this occurs, the witch gets the stone back and may give it to another player.

Please send Maxim a PM saying which person you wish to give the Conversation Stone to. This can be anybody, Light or Dark. If your target is killed, Maxim will send you a PM asking which person you wish to give it to next.

Uncommon Items and Special Roles
    Pendant and The Messiah

Three Light players started in posession with mysterious Pendants. They were not told the specifics, but they could use the pendant each night on one person to see if they held a pendant as well. However, they were forbidden from mentioning or talking about the pendants to anyone. Pendants were destroyed if the player holding one was killed.

If one pendant holder found a second, they would be connected and given the offer to combine their pendants. If they did so, one player at random would be brought back from the dead as the Messiah. The Messiah gained the powers of a Great One as well as the ability to use any Enchantress item.

Vial of Twelve Bloods and The Higher Vampire

One Light Player was charged with holding a Vial of Twelve Bloods. If a Vampire player took hold of it and drank its contents, he could become a Higher Vampire. The Higher Vampire gains the ability of a Great One while retaining the ability to use The Call.

And with that, I think I am done. I'm sorry the game ended up being so complex and it's really too bad there weren't any narrations, but I'm glad that so many of you were willing to come back after the suspension to finish up the game. If there are any other questions or issues, I won't be around much tomorrow, but I'll keep an eye out tonight and tomorrow morning.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited May 2008
    Yeah inactivity seemed to be a big problem in this one, perhaps a smaller starting size with more reserves would have been better.

After seeing that full list of what people had, I kinda feel screwed. Having only one spell point and regen2 as my perk meant I couldn't do jack, especially when compared to all the stuff that was out there.

Exarch on
  • VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cool, I finally survived until the end of a main game, victorious at that.

Thanks MrB for running the rest of the game sans VH.

Also, looking at it now I don't think a 3:1 SP victory would have been likely if both sides attacked one another full out. It is likely that the fanatics from one side would have been eliminated during the course of the war before a 3:1 ratio was established. Hell, we still would have won tonight if Zot died and Giltanis lived. (45 : 20 by my math)

I really liked base mechanic of having two factions which the main village had to pick between, it was well done.

Varcayn on
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh awesome, looks like we won. And I'm just putting this out there.

I suspected Quoth of being a Fanatic on Day 2.

Just saying.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So yeah, cool idea for the little figure-eight mechanic, but it made it completely impossible for a fanatic victory. The game would have been better without purists, IMO.

Plutonium on
  • MaximMaxim Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    So yeah, cool idea for the little figure-eight mechanic, but it made it completely impossible for a fanatic victory. The game would have been better without purists, IMO.

Yeah, I didn't do enough calculation and simulation to figure that the 3:1 condition was too extreme; 2:1 should have been better. Sorry about that.

Maxim on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Light Fanatic Thread:

http://photonphanatics.proboards83.com/index.cgi?board=general

Where the fanatics think they are close to winning but it turns out they really aren't close at all.

iamtheaznman on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey dark ones

The dirty traitor phone is ringing

Its for you

Didn't Zot

Our Great one

even say

"No bandwagoning him!"

and get ignored?

Gumpy on
    edited May 2008
    People don't listen to Zot, because Zot is a tool.

Also, he never accepted the trade for the Vial of Twelve Bloods from either Fembot or myself.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Scoundrel

Gumpy on
    edited May 2008
    Zot or myself? Because I suppose that could apply to either at this particular point in time.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Zot

I could have done many things with that vial

To see that it got so close to us

so close

Gumpy on
    edited May 2008
    Indeed. On the bright side, at least we won.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So Eri called like all of the fanatics?

Man I want a copy of that spreadsheet.

Or maybe I'll start writing my own. Ever since she mentioned the formula, I've been thinking about it. I use, customize and sometimes develop data mining tools for a living, and applying the same principles to Phalla sounds like fun. An extremely nerdy kind of fun. My kind of fun.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited May 2008
    The thing is, if you've played enough games, her formula doesn't work.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited May 2008
    What kind of formula can break into the spirits of man?

Gumpy on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The thing is, if you've played enough games, her formula doesn't work.

Well, yes and no. It might not be able to directly catch you, but chances are everyone on your team wouldn't be as slippery as you, and their posts might end up incriminating you as well.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gentlemen go down in glorious combat.
    For the record, sorry Rainfall, I made it the whole game not attacking anyone on our side, I wanted to go out being ... evil and vindictive. 3:1 admittedly made no sense, especially with the way the inquisition the first night darkies used it only to get fanatics somehow lol.
    Being evil is a burden on my nice guy soul.

And lady Eri is an evil witch. MAN IS NOT NUMBERS.
    P.S. haha that's so nerdy-ronic. lawl.

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    We won and I'm not dead!

Thanks Mr.B for running the game and VH for starting it. I hope VH isn't dead.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So dying day 1 while inactives roamed?

Fun times, really.

Thank you for getting me killing RU. Told you I wasn't a Fanatic.

It was a really neat game. I would've enjoyed playing more.

Oats on
  • JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    After doing a few probable math scenarios though, it was VERY difficult to keep a straight face and say: 3:1 makes sense. I know you saw the problems later, Max/Blarney its all good. :) Made my job all the harder.
    And abotkin shouldve died!!!!! dammit!
    I needed like 1,00000000000000 hp to last the onslaught of Dark hatred for my booty.

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want to know what all the new players thought of the game and playing in general.

Toxic Toys on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really want to know how the hell anyone pegged me for a fanatic when I never actually took a side and only did what I was told. Is that so obvious?

Quoth on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So we won?

Woo.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    I really want to know how the hell anyone pegged me for a fanatic when I never actually took a side and only did what I was told. Is that so obvious?

Ask Lady E.

Toxic Toys on