As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Tortoise Hostel: Party PARTY ON! $230 raised!!

That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guyRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
I heard last year that a bunch of people were going to try getting an entire dorm just for PAX goers. I think this year we should get that going too.

What is it: The Green Tortoise Hostel is dorm type lodging at a very affordable rate.

How far from PAX: It looks to be a solid 7 blocks from PAX.

How much:
Room Size
Price
7/8 Bed Drom
$25 per person / $26 credit
6 Bedded Dorm----$27 per person / $28 credit
4 Bedded Dorm----$29 per person / $30 credit

All shared doubles for couples
$40 cash / $42 credit
All shared doubles for one person
$30 cash / $31 credit

Amenities: Free Internet Terminals and (Wi-Fi), Free Continental Breakfast, Free Dinner three times a week, Wednesday Night Open Mic.

To reserve a room, call 206.340.1222 and tell them you are with the Penny Arcase Expo (PAX) group. You will need to provide a credit card to hold your bed, but we will all get the same dorm.
SOLD OUT. The place is totally full for PAX weekend. I am sorry if you missed the boat on this one. You may be able to check in daily for no-shows, but I would not expect to get a room this late in the game.

Party Plans Finalized: Hamburger Helper and I have been talking about getting a big party together for one of the nights. I would still consider getting a bottle of some sort of liquor as well. I for one plan on bringing Vodka and Sake. I will be bringing my 27in LCD and my Wii with me for Rock Band or what-not. It has HDMI and Component, so bring your HD cables, if you have them. The speakers suck on them, so if I will bring my little 2.1 set. Post what you would be able to bring with you. I hope someone can bring a 360/PS3 and Rock Band for the partying down. If I am in Seattle before PAX, I will check in and see what they have planned and what we might be able to work out as far as a party.

I just got off the phone with the manager for Green Tortoise. We spoke about the party and she gave it the OK. They will be providing money for one keg, and we will over the other. They are totally down with the little bit extra it will cost to get Big E ale. We are also going to get pizzas.

Everything is in place for a Friday (29th) night party. Mark your calendars for this one. It is not to be missed!

Donations have been collected. We will have a donation box at the keg, though. Feel free to chip in.

Update: The party was great. Thanks to all of you for the donations. We raised a total of $230. You guys ROCK!!

That_Guy on

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anyone?

I have not really heard anything (good or bad) about the place. To anyone who stayed there last year, do you have anything good or bad to say about the place?

That_Guy on
  • Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Its good, clean, cheap, but oh MAN is it hot..

its like an oven when you first come in off the street.

Each bed has a little fan on it so you can cool down and you eventually aclimate to the heat but oooh man.
    That heat definatly stands out in my mind.

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    deiru moved here to seattle about a month and a half ago. when he first came, he stayed at the green tortoise for part of a week. i got to spend a lot of time in there, and i think it's a really great place. suppoedly one of the best hostels in the country. it wasn't hot at the time, though, so i don't know what it'll be like now, but i definitely recommend the place. and $25/night ain't bad.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you've got a little fan, use a small water spray bottle to keep your face & chest lightly moist. The water really helps fight the heat, and the air pushed by the fan seems cooler with the water.

b0wser on
    edited May 2008
    I am glad to hear that it is a nice place. As for distance, how far are we talking? I was planning on walking, but it looks like a long 7 blocks. Any opinions on the walk?

About a "group room." I am sure we could get something like that arranged. I was thinking we should try to get this together sooner rather than later, as there is a lot going on in Seattle that weekend.

That_Guy on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    it is all uphill, and yes, a solid 7 blocks. the great thing about the uphill, though, is that at the end of the day, you get to walk downhill to get back.

and i would certainly recommend arranging in advance. I think they only have about 2-4 eight bed rooms, and they're sold out almost every single night.

one thing that you will miss out on is the free dinner nights. they do it a few nights a week where they make army sized portions and everybody eats for free, to try to help you get to know your neighbors, but that's only 7-8pm.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited May 2008
    Before I call about a PAX dorm, I would like to get a list of people interested in going. I will update the list as people post. If there are enough people interested, I will call and make arrangements.

That_Guy on
    edited May 2008
    I will be in the Green Tortiose.. dunno what type of room yet though.. so.. pencil me in I guess.

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    edited May 2008
    I will be in the Green Tortiose.. dunno what type of room yet though.. so.. pencil me in I guess.

What are the nights you are looking at staying?

That_Guy on
    edited May 2008
    The thursday before until sunday.. I think you have until noon on monday to check out..

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    edited May 2008
    checkout is at 11 if i remember correctly. i might stay there. i like about 20 miles from pax, but i think it could be fun to stay there and just walk to pax. i'll let you know soon.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited May 2008
    Great. Once I get a few more people interested I will call over to GT and see about setting up a PAX dorm.

That_Guy on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I stayed there last year, and other then the previous complaint about it being hot, didn't have a problem with it. Its not like you'll spend that much time there anyways. As for the walk back and forth, I didn't mind it at all really, its not that bad and I didn't even notice it being uphill at all, its not much of a slope at any rate.

Just be sure to stop at Georgio's Subs at least once on the way to and from the convention. Its about halfway down and fucking tasty.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • dblueguydblueguy Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Im interested in thursday-sunday

dblueguy on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Book me in for Friday-Sunday. I stayed there last year and had a great time.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • monkmunkmonkmunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Friday - sunday is what i'd be looking at. I stayed there last year too, and the only reason i wouldn't recommend it would be that i want to make sure there's a bed for myself again this year. The walk is a breeze, you're right next to pike's place, and the atmosphere is warm and relaxed.

monkmunk on
  • ZORRZAXXZORRZAXX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will be in attendance. Mariokart DS mayhem again, yes?

ZORRZAXX on
  • ZORRZAXXZORRZAXX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Umm...that is, Friday thru Sunday

ZORRZAXX on
    edited May 2008
    I called GT up and was told their event coordinator would give me a call back. I am still waiting for a call. If I don't here anything by tomorrow, I will call back again.

That_Guy on
  • demiveemandemiveeman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was wondering if anybody else is interested in doing this before PAX?

I'd like to stay a little longer in Seattle before PAX to get around and see the sights...but a standard hotel is too expensive...this would work before for like a two days before PAX thing before I join up with my group in the regular hotel. I could deal with the heat for a couple days.

Plus since I'm paying for a flight anyway, might as well make a few days earlier for only $30 a night max.

demiveeman on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ZORRZAXX wrote: »
    I will be in attendance. Mariokart DS mayhem again, yes?

Of course! And more of your Hendricks concoctions too kthx.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i'm interested...i have a party of 7

xxhennersxx on
  • cronjob00cronjob00 Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    hey I would be interested if you had room let me know

cronjob00 on
    edited May 2008
    Big update. Check the OP.

That_Guy on
  • That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I might stay here if I don't find a bed elsewhere...haven't tried that hard.

How many beds (dorms?) does the GT have?

Edit: Made a reservation from Thur-Sun night

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just to keep track of people at PAX staying at GT, I made a reservation last night for 7. I mentioned PAX while I was on the phone with the girl, but I didn't say to put us with the PAX group. She said we'd probably get into the same dorm.

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
    edited May 2008
    The impression I get is they are going to keep a tally of people regestering for those dates, and divvy us up in PAX dorms. I have a feeling we are gong to fill the place up for that weekend. Maybe next year we could get an official deal worked out with them.

That_Guy on
    edited May 2008
    Would it be too late now to try to do some sort of deal with them? Staying here is a shitload cheaper then trying to get a room at a hotel.

That_Spoony_Bard on
    edited May 2008
    Would it be too late now to try to do some sort of deal with them? Staying here is a shitload cheaper then trying to get a room at a hotel.

It's their normal price, but if you call soon, there should be plenty of space available. I don't know how many they can hold, but I am sure there is space left.

That_Guy on
  • DorkaliciousDorkalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are staying at the GT from the 28th to the 1st of September. I had called in our reservations 2 weeks ago and was told the price would be going up by a couple of bucks per night for July/August but I wasn't given a definite answer as to how much. I requested a 4-person dorm so if another couple is interested in taking the other two beds just let me know. Maybe we 4 can room together?

Dorkalicious on
  • MadHa77erMadHa77er Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    This sounds pretty decent. When you say 'Party Dorm' do you mean it? I would be down. If anyone lives in a state where Everlcear 190 is legal you should hook me up and i can make some Green Dragon...

MadHa77er on
  • fredericfrederic Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    I was there last year with my friend and we met another paxer, its ok but damn it is true its hot. Note that they provide 3 soupers per week and breakfast everyday, there is no curfew which is a plus, and you have to bring soap etc as it is a hostel. Another thing for ladies, they are mixed dorms.

It is always a good idea to bring your own lock as they rent theirs for 5$/day...i think, or maybe 5$ for you stay.

They have pinball machines and a smoking room and they really have a party atmosphere. All in all, of my 2 last trips to Seattle, i stayed there (if anyone stayed there back then, they moved btw) and loved it, not sure if i will be staying there this time tho.

frederic on
  • risraelsrisraels Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Howdy, my friend and I are looking at the Green Tortoise Hostel to stay in if it's just us two and not a car load of guys, but we're trying to figure out the parking situation. Does anyone know where we can park at the hostel, is there free parking if we're staying there or are we just supposed to park on the road or is it better to just park at the convention center...just trying to price it out, thanks!

risraels on
    edited June 2008
    I was thinking. If the weather keeps up like it has been here, we won't have to worry about being hot.

That_Guy on
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    this is going to be raaaaaaaaaaaaad. i want massive parties. massive dammit.

xxhennersxx on
  • steffuhhkneesteffuhhknee Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    The Green Tortoise is certainly the party dorm. In fact, last year, I barely even went to PAX cause I had so much fun at the hostel. I won't be making it this year cause I'm broke, but if I could, I certainly would.

The hostel provides free breakfast every morning if you can wake up in time, and they have free dinner some nights. Theres usually entertainment of some sort, last year a zombie party.

They have the internet, but they only have some ancient macs that are super slow.

My only suggestion is BEWARE OF RAPISTS/CREEPS. Last year I certainly had some creepy encounters, but there were way more awesome people than creeps.

All in all, I would suggest this over any other hotel just because you will get to meet all sorts of different people, and not just PAXers.

steffuhhknee on
  • Dr. HobbesDr. Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Myself and a friend are going to be staying there during PAX ( and the entire week prior). when we booked we asked to be put with other PAX people. So hopefully even though we're arriving far in advance, we'll still get to party with you guys :D

Dr. Hobbes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2of12ad0.png
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    i made a reservation at the green tortoise,

I feel really bad about it but do snore, I will have free earplugs by my bead to prevent people from killing me while i sleep.

super... on
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm with henners' group and I think I'm going to get there on Thursday and I'm staying through Sunday. And like henners I look forward to the massive parties.

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
    edited June 2008
    Just wondering....these massive parties people are talking about, are they taking place in the sleeping quarters? or is there other rooms in the GT to cause chaos in?

That_Spoony_Bard on
This discussion has been closed.