As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RAM upgrade vs Buying a new laptop

Craigus17Craigus17 Registered User regular
I bought my laptop about 3 maybe 4 years ago and its starting to get a bit aged and I've noticed a huge decline in its performance.

When I bought it it was just under £1000 (about $750 in US money)

Its an HP Pavillion ZD8303EA and I don't know the specs off the top of my head but it has a 2.8ghz pentium 4 processor, and I *think* 1GB RAM

I dont play PC games very often (I normally play on my Wii and my 360), but I will probably be renewing my WoW membership soon to keep my busy through the summer.

If I'm going to get back into PC gaming I need to do something about my laptop's performance. Basically what I want to know is should I go for a RAM upgrade on my laptop, or should I just buy a new one???

Edit - Model ZD8303EA and 1GB RAM not 1MB lol typos :P

Craigus17 on

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Most likely 1gb of memory, and most likely it's going to be DDR 1 probablly 400mhz (most likely case). Now older memory is more expensive and what most manufactures like to do is have two slots in there and they usaully fill them both with 512mb pieces. So to get any reasonable gain you'd have to take out 512mb then stick in a 1gb stick. The stick would cost around 70-80 bucks I think. Now your most likely running XP, take note that any new laptop will be vista, you could install an XP OS but not the one from your old laptop as thats prob a manufacturer copy and it will detect that you have different hardware (most of the time) and won't install, you would have to buy an OEM version. Thats if you really care about what OS your using.

Also It might not be just your memory thats causing the slow down, you said you noticed a large drop in performance, have you installed anything new lately? such as anti-virus or you may have some sort of infection on the machine causeing the slow down. Also you can check how much memory you have by going to Control Panel > System then if the first window it will tell you how much memory you have, if you can't find the System icon click on "switch to classiv view" on the left side of the control panel window.

If you want to get back into gaming and you use a laptop your going to have to get something which a better proccessor and video, I haven't check the video on your current laptop, but most likely it's on board and that won't do.
    You can get a pretty decent gaming laptop from Dell (which are pretty good now a days) for about 1500 cdn so thats like 750 in pounds. You would want something with at least a 8600M in it for video and 2gb of ram with a processor in at least the T5000 series line, the higher end T2000 line might be okay but you might as well go for the T5000 stuff, if you have any other questions about specifics on the parts give me a shout

Dixon on
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Posted this in your other thread just as you reposted:

I googled but i cant find an hp laptop with a model number anything like that. I think you meant 1GB of ram, but you can check this by right clicking on my computer and clicking properties (in XP at least) .. it will state your amount of ram down the bottom.

If you dont like its performance then some extra ram may help, however if you were happy with performance before it went downhill, it may be that simply a format/reinstall of your OS would do the trick.

Also .. £1000 is nearly $2000

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The stick would cost around 70-80 bucks I think.
    I bought a 2GB DDR2 667 stick for $38 (US) before a $5 mail-in rebate for my laptop, if you're paying $70-80 for a 1GB stick ur doin it rong.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    I bought a 2GB DDR2 667 stick for $38 (US) before a $5 mail-in rebate for my laptop, if you're paying $70-80 for a 1GB stick ur doin it rong.

An older laptop may be DDR1 ... which is much more expensive ... ddr2 though, as you pointed out, is cheap as hell.

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
    edited May 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

DDR 2 memory like the post above mentioned is much cheaper as it is supply and demand, SDRAM is even more expensive then DDR 1 where a 512mb piece can run you around $90. So new memory is dirt cheap while old memory gouges your wallet

If you find a model of a laptop your interested post it here. Things to look for
    Processor: You want to know the Cache and processor speed and the FSB (front side bus) if it's available
    Video: They never really give much info on this so just post the amount of video memory it has a long with the model of the card e.g. 8600M (M = Mobile)
    Harddrive: Size (preference really), and the speed of the drive i.e. 7200 RPM would be nice, most are 5400 RPM though

Dixon on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hrm, I was going on the assumption that 3-4 year old laptops were at least using DDR1 (which is about $40 for a 1GB stick). After looking at older models that does not seem to be the case D:

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited May 2008
    I don't really know the common price for DDR 1 as I don't need it ever for laptops I'm just at work (Computer Store) and we sell it for like 79 so I assumed it would be close.

Note: I know here In canada you can also get some entry laptops that come with dual cores and at least 1gb of DDR2 ram with a 160 gb harddrive for 500cdn so about 250 pounds. I mean that may be a way to go, most likely it will be on board video but sometimes you can find one with like a 6100-m or a x3100

Dixon on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The closest model number I could find was the HP Pavillion zd8030EA (released in 2004), which takes PC2-4200 RAM, max 2GB.

Not as many places sell PC2-4200 these days, most sell PC2-5300. It's backwards compatible, but will only run at PC2-4200 speeds.

If you have a Fry's nearby, you can pick up 2x1GB OCZ PC2-5300 for $15 after rebate or 1x1GB OCZ PC2-5300 for $7 after rebate, through May 15.

BubbaT on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well after 3/4 years it might just be the whole computer declining in performance because of age. This is usually what happens with my computers after about 4 years, and they just tend to slow down. So yeah, it might be the time to buy a new laptop. Or Im just rough with my computers.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited May 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    The closest model number I could find was the HP Pavillion zd8030EA (released in 2004), which takes PC2-4200 RAM, max 2GB.

Not as many places sell PC2-4200 these days, most sell PC2-5300. It's backwards compatible, but will only run at PC2-4200 speeds.

If you have a Fry's nearby, you can pick up 2x1GB OCZ PC2-5300 for $15 after rebate or 1x1GB OCZ PC2-5300 for $7 after rebate, through May 15.

You have to be careful of this as some mobo's don't allow you do down clock memory, and won't post for you. I have found that like 70% of mobo's do, but with it being a laptop I think it may even be more picky, but the mobo may take a higher speed and use it at that speed. I mean that could work unless the mobo doesn't support that speed at all. But yeah down clocking memory is always iffy

EDIT: In fact I worked on one today, an asus p4b something. And he had DDR 333mhz and all we had on hand was DDR 400 and it wouldn't take it with or without the DDR 333 module plugged into the mobo

Dixon on
  • Craigus17Craigus17 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just did the whole right-clicking My Computer thing and it turns out I have a 2.99Ghz pentium 4 processor and 512 MB of RAM so faster processor but far less RAM than i thought.

I think I should buy a new laptop. As far as Gaming goes I'm not likely to expand my games library and only ressurect the games on my shelf which are;
    1. WoW
    2. Fallout
    3. Fallout 2
    4. Fallout Tactics
    5. Gangsters 2
    6. Mafia
    7. Sims 2 (plus assorted expansion packs)

so you can see most of games are pretty old with only Mafia, FoT, WoW and Sims 2 requiring any half-decent hardware.

I'm somewhat out of the loop in terms of processors and graphics cards at the moment, what should I be looking out for?

Craigus17 on
    edited May 2008
    All those games should be playable even with integrated graphics, but for WoW perhaps some sort of dedicated memory would be preferred. Depends on how much you will be able to spend. Should be relatively cheap since WoW is not that power hungry.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Sounds like you'd be a good candidate for a middle-of-the-road (read: cheap!) Dell or HP. Hit up www.dell.com/eppbuy and tell it you're a large corporation -- they don't check.

Satan. on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think you're probably right in that a new laptop is going to be better rather than fiddling around with an upgrade. My parents had the same problem with a 512MB DDR1 machine and the cost to upgrade to 2GB wasn't that different from just buying a new machine.

As for graphics cards, with the games you listed you'll get away with an integrated intel but an 8400M GS would probably enable a few extra pretties. An 8600M GT would allow to play any game out there but that'll push the budget up a little.

Rook on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd second the suggestion for a reformat/reinstall. Chances are if you haven't done that in your 4 years of ownership, the majority of your slowdown is related to it.

Dehumanized on
    edited May 2008
    Oh yeah that list of games there you could probablly all play on intergrated graphics, I know you could play mafia and sims 2 for sure, as my gf's laptop runs those well. She has a t2600, 1.5gb ddr2 and intergrated graphics. But yeah you could get something like the 8400 or maybe the 8500 as I don't think the price difference between those two is huge, but you would want like 2gb of ram. For the processor you could stick with something in the T2000 series but I would keep it T2600 and above.

Also satan thats a pretty nifty thing there, I didn't know about that. I'll be purchasing a rather high end laptop later this year so that will help thanks

Dixon on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd be a good candidate for a middle-of-the-road (read: cheap!) Dell or HP. Hit up www.dell.com/eppbuy and tell it you're a large corporation -- they don't check.

The only thing I don't like about EPP is you usually have to go to the XPS line to get any kind of dedicated graphics, which jumps up to $1000 as a baseline - even though other Dell sections will put an 8400/8600m in an Inspiron.

There should be some good inventory-clearing deals coming up soon though, as the gaming line of XPS is being shut down and the new line of Inspirons is rolled out.

I'd also take a look at Lenovo. The nVidia Quadro NVS 135/140 is designed for CAD/CAM, but for games is equivalent to an 8400m GS. Lenovo deals pop up on SlickDeals and FatWallet nearly as often as Dell ones.

BubbaT on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Satan. wrote: »

The only thing I don't like about EPP is you usually have to go to the XPS line to get any kind of dedicated graphics, which jumps up to $1000 as a baseline - even though other Dell sections will put an 8400/8600m in an Inspiron.

There should be some good inventory-clearing deals coming up soon though, as the gaming line of XPS is being shut down and the new line of Inspirons is rolled out.

I'd also take a look at Lenovo. The nVidia Quadro NVS 135/140 is designed for CAD/CAM, but for games is equivalent to an 8400m GS. Lenovo deals pop up on SlickDeals and FatWallet nearly as often as Dell ones.

I've never experienced getting the shaft from EPP, especially how you describe. Your mileage may vary, I guess?

Satan. on
  • FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am posting because I've had some drinks. You'll pardon my bluntness, but I promise to tell the truth.

You wouldn't be posting if you thought a simple upgrade would do the trick. Buy a new goddamed laptop, and make it a GOOD one. Get the absolute shizzle.

Don't rationalize. Don't worry. Your current shit is weak, and an upgrade is worth your time.

Best of all, you won't spend as much as you did last time.

Here's what you do. You donate your old laptop, and you claim $1000 of value on your taxes, which will lower your tax burden by $220-250. You take that money expectation, and the money you expected to pay on RAM (100-200), and you're already near $500. You take a few weeks worth of extra pay and you buy a kick ass laptop.

You know why?

Because you only live once, and you know this, and you're smart. Quit making do with bullshit. Just buy something that kicks ass already.

Screw tech specs, they're all available on TomsHardware... Just buy the most kick ass rig you can and start kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

Yeah - I kid. A LITTLE BIT. A laptop is a one time thing, forget upgrade paths. Buy all the machine you can, because you'll love every minute of ownership if you do.

FatmanGames on
  • Craigus17Craigus17 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've decided that a computer is a bad idea, instead I am donating my laptop my consoles and my tv to charity and I'm going to spend my summer playing sports wth the guys, maybe going to the beach and stuff.

Yeah whatever, I'm buying the new laptop and going to spend my summer curbstomping locusts, grenade sticking the covenent, sniping terrorists and grinding Gnomregan. Farewell daylight...

Craigus17 on
    edited May 2008
    What laptop is it going to be?

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Craigus17 wrote: »
    I've decided that a computer is a bad idea, instead I am donating my laptop my consoles and my tv to charity and I'm going to spend my summer playing sports wth the guys, maybe going to the beach and stuff.

Yeah whatever, I'm buying the new laptop and going to spend my summer curbstomping locusts, grenade sticking the covenent, sniping terrorists and grinding Gnomregan. Farewell daylight...

Balance my friend, Balance. I think people think they have to do just one thing. Sure you won't be the best but you will be happier.

Viscountalpha on