As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Greatest Country on Earth!

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Saying that people were deluded is not lambasting them. It's an unfortunate thing that they were tricked.

But being tricked does not mean "Oh, you were so awesome, what with your being used and all."

My opinion of the majority of veterans is purely neutral. They are what they are. Their veteran status simply has no reason for me to apply a positive opinion.
    I think the only problem I have here is you're stating this "they were all deluded, no smart person would ever go to war" as fact. Which is ironic, considering the only reason you're able to say this without being arrested, tried, and executed is because people have been willing to go to war.

Some previous wars were justified, so all wars are justified? Nice.
    Sure, 30 years after the fact we know that the Domino Effect never happened, that communism spent itself out of existence. But at the time, it was a real fear. And even completely ignoring the fear of communism, we went to South Vietnam to help our allies, the French.

No war is good, no war is "just", but that doesn't mean no war is necessary. John Stuart Mill said it best.

Please. All the JSM in the world won't make Vietnam a necessary war. The fact that Johnson had to mislead Congress and the public to get support for a substantial commitment to it should start to give you an idea of how much sense the case for the war made.

And, re: the French, are you going to argue in favor of European colonialism now?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ege02 wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Saying that people were deluded is not lambasting them. It's an unfortunate thing that they were tricked.

But being tricked does not mean "Oh, you were so awesome, what with your being used and all."

My opinion of the majority of veterans is purely neutral. They are what they are. Their veteran status simply has no reason for me to apply a positive opinion.
    I think the only problem I have here is you're stating this "they were all deluded, no smart person would ever go to war" as fact. Which is ironic, considering the only reason you're able to say this without being arrested, tried, and executed is because people have been willing to go to war.

Uh, we're talking about the Vietnam War dude. What you said has nothing to do with it, unless you're somehow suggesting that if the USA had not invaded Vietnam, we wouldn't have free speech today?
    No, he's talking about all veterans.
    Incenjucar wrote:

My opinion of the majority of veterans is purely neutral.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dyscord wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

Sure, 30 years after the fact we know that the Domino Effect never happened, that communism spent itself out of existence. But at the time, it was a real fear. And even completely ignoring the fear of communism, we went to South Vietnam to help our allies, the French.

No war is good, no war is "just", but that doesn't mean no war is necessary. John Stuart Mill said it best.

Please. All the JSM in the world won't make Vietnam a necessary war. The fact that Johnson had to mislead Congress and the public to get support for a substantial commitment to it should start to give you an idea of how much sense the case for the war made.

And, re: the French, are you going to argue in favor of European colonialism now?
    Says who? The South Vietnamese sure seemed to be thankful for our presence. You're saying that helping people who want our help isn't a good thing?

And honestly, chances are you live where you live thanks to European colonialism.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It hurts my head that you took me comparing them with Einstein as "No smart people."

You'd better be totally drunk from New Years.

Incenjucar on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

On a side note, I love how that quote by Mill is often employed by hawkish pundits/bloggers/commentators/etc who don't serve, haven't served and never plan to serve in the armed forces themselves. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was the universe's idea of a practical joke.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dyscord wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

The South Vietnamese sure seemed to be thankful for our presence.
    Says who?

Couscous on
    edited January 2007
    FCD wrote:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

On a side note, I love how that quote by Mill is often employed by hawkish pundits/bloggers/commentators/etc who don't serve, haven't served and never plan to serve in the armed forces themselves. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was the universe's idea of a practical joke.
    Yeah, most also forget that he said
    Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mill sounded like a pretty cool guy. Pity he's not around anymore. The world could always use a few more people with good heads on their shoulders.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No, he's talking about all veterans.

Somebody needs to re-read the thread. The veterans under discussion were all Vietnam war veterans, and the original post by Inj refers to evading "that war."
    Says who? The South Vietnamese sure seemed to be thankful for our presence. You're saying that helping people who want our help isn't a good thing?

Would that be the South Vietnamese government that the French installed, or the one that we installed when we took over?
    And honestly, chances are you live where you live thanks to European colonialism.

That doesn't mean I think it was a good thing. In Vietnam, North America, or let's be honest, pretty much anywhere there was a European colony.

As an aside, do you know how the Vietnam War is taught in Vietnamese schools? As a war of independence against colonial oppressors. It's their version of the revolutionary war. It has very little to do with communism or western capitalism and a lot to do with wanting popular sovereignty and self-determination.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The entire thing could have been avoided if Wilson had granted Vietnam the self-determination Ho Chi Minh asked him for after WWI. Too bad for Minh he had all three of Wilson's -isms working against him. Racism, anti-communism, and imperialism.

Sami on
  • fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Unless I missread something the fault lies here

Inc first said that veterans from vietnam war, were
    deluded by society, weren't clever enough to get out of it or flee, people who were desperate, or people who're just fucked up.

I do not think someone who was forced by a draft is necesarily "not clever". I do not know a great deal about the punishments of refusing draft but I am assuming that it was a crime. Now there are a number of reasons you do not want to commit a crime.

I guess that you migt label those as "desperate" and while that does not make them "worthy of respect", it does not make them eligable to be grouped in with a bounch of idiots who served there for different reasons entirely.
    I am guessing that often that wether or not you could get out of it had not so much to do with your brains as with your wallet or family, and I think neither of those is something which affects how much respect you deserve.
    But then I might be way off, american laws are often stupid.

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
    edited January 2007
    fjafjan wrote:
    Unless I missread something the fault lies here

Inc first said that veterans from vietnam war, were
    deluded by society, weren't clever enough to get out of it or flee, people who were desperate, or people who're just fucked up.

I do not think someone who was forced by a draft is necesarily "not clever". I do not know a great deal about the punishments of refusing draft but I am assuming that it was a crime. Now there are a number of reasons you do not want to commit a crime.

I guess that you migt label those as "desperate" and while that does not make them "worthy of respect", it does not make them eligable to be grouped in with a bounch of idiots who served there for different reasons entirely.
    I am guessing that often that wether or not you could get out of it had not so much to do with your brains as with your wallet or family, and I think neither of those is something which affects how much respect you deserve.
    But then I might be way off, american laws are often stupid.

There's a lot of retarded people. Would I be unfair by grouping you in the "people" category?

Incenjucar on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm totally with Incenjucar on this.

And a bunch of people need to work out what 'deluded' means.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It might be a bit offensive saying

"there are alot of people that are retarded, people that served in Vietnam, people that murder babies.."

yeah you are not saying they killed babies, but...

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
    edited January 2007
    fjafjan wrote:
    It might be a bit offensive saying

"there are alot of people that are retarded, people that served in Vietnam, people that murder babies.."

yeah you are not saying they killed babies, but...

I do not dumb down my language use unless I'm trying to make money off of it.

Incenjucar on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One second it's bread and pizza, the next minute it's war. Those Americans!

Can we talk more about pizza?

desperaterobots on
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar sounds like a pampered, elitist prick who enjoys looking down on those who gives him the freedom and luxury to do so.

The point is, the government decided to send in troops, and deemed it a high enough priority to enlist citizens against their will to fight.

Whether or not it was the right choice, it was made by the same government that made all the other choices that created a society where Incenjucar can holler insulting remarks to religious people at a college campus without getting the piss beat out of him.

Also, it was the same government that decided that if someone was rich enough, they could pay the government to buy out their obligations, so no matter how high the pedestal is that Incanjucar places his dad, his dad still helped out the war effort by:

1. Being wealthy enough to pay his way out of fighting;

2. Paying taxes on that wealth;

3. Spending his wealth and generating wealth in the country, helping out the economy.

Just because his dad was "too important" to go directly fight in a war the government deemed necessary, he still helped that very same government that relies on fools, the insane, and the deluded to defend the land Incenjucar's dad lives in.

Just because you don't agree to certain decisions the government that the majority elected makes does NOT make it right to judge those who are in the military. They are there to protect your rights, whether they are volunteers or conscripted, and are working under orders by the people we elected to provide us our rights and the freedom to make our own decisions, all of which they gave up to serve the governement.

Incenjucar deserves to be permanently crippled in a car wreck, and then we could pity his poor, deluded decision to drive and put himself in harm's way.

Incenjucar can rot in hell for his elitist attitude and the ignorance he has on reality.

slurpeepoop on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To give some background: Guy was around my age (22) and I was asking someone for directions in Tokyo (fuckin' A that city is confusing the first time I was there).

Man, some Japanese guy talked to me in (broken) English "how come your country can't learn Japanese, but we can learn English?"

I replied(brokenly): "Doushite nihonjin wa chuugokugo kanji o kakimasuka? Bushou!"[Why do Japanese people use Chinese language characters? Lazy!] He got angry and walked away.

Also:
    Most people I have met, in any country, really aren't all that bad. I mean, I've had buggers in London call me a "Yankee Bastard" in jest (I was wearing a Yankees baseball cap) so long as I can call them a "Bloody Redcoat" in return.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The general point (I think) Incenjucar is trying to make is that he won't respect someone solely for being in a war. If they did anything else he considered admirable, then he can probably respect them for that, but fighting in Vietnam won't be one of them (although special cases exist in Vietnam that could or could not be considered admirable, such as in the case of Hugh Thompson, Jr.)

Also...
    Can we talk more about pizza?
    My favorite is pepperoni.

SpeedySwaf on
    edited January 2007
    Just because you don't agree to certain decisions the government that the majority elected makes does NOT make it right to judge those who are in the military. They are there to protect your rights, whether they are volunteers or conscripted, and are working under orders by the people we elected to provide us our rights and the freedom to make our own decisions, all of which they gave up to serve the governement.

Mmmm... that right there? Yeah, smells like bullshit.

You want to explain how conscripts sent to fight in Vietnam (or for that matter, any of the many foreign adventures U.S. troops have been sent on since) were "protecting [my] rights"?

The government doesn't "provide" our freedoms. Consent of the governed and all that. And, you don't lose all personal responsibility and autonomy when you enlist.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    So, the US.

I hear they invented pizza.

Echo on
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar sounds like a pampered, elitist prick who enjoys looking down on those who gives him the freedom and luxury to do so.

My freedom was not being infringed upon by Vietnam.

And yes, I am so pampered, what with growing up felling trees and cleaning up horse crap and building houses and living in a trailer for several years.

My family is currently upper middle class, but there's no fricking pampering involved. I spent my youth working my ass off far more than your average poor-as-fuck suburban kid. Sure, I had enough to eat, but I fucking earned it.

You try cleaning up a horse stall when you're five fucking years old, see how pampered you feel.
    The point is, the government decided to send in troops, and deemed it a high enough priority to enlist citizens against their will to fight.

No, a small group of powerful individuals who headed the federal government at that time decided to send youngsters to shoot people and get shot at, so that they could reap whatever benefits they envisioned.

They sought fit to sacrifice human lives, including those of the people who trusted in them, for their own ends.
    Whether or not it was the right choice, it was made by the same government that made all the other choices that created a society where Incenjucar can holler insulting remarks to religious people at a college campus without getting the piss beat out of him.

Yes.

My ancestral Adams were doing it, with George Washington and the Swamp Fox.

Fucking moron.

The government is not a static entity, nor a single entity, especially not over time.
    Also, it was the same government that decided that if someone was rich enough, they could pay the government to buy out their obligations, so no matter how high the pedestal is that Incanjucar places his dad, his dad still helped out the war effort by:

HAHAHA

No.

My dad just called up his lawyer. The government decided it wasn't worth the legal battle and found some other poor schmuck to sacrifice to their bullshit who didn't know his rights.

My dad was/is a carpenter.

He would be sent in to the forest on the weekends all by himself to hunt for food.

That's how rich his family was.

The alternative is being sent to debtors prison, or leaving the whole of his family behind for the rest of his life.
    3. Spending his wealth and generating wealth in the country, helping out the economy.

Clearly, because the current federal government seated on the opposite side of the country was a bunch of jackasses for the current election cycle, he should have a deep hatred for the entire country, forever, especially California, land of warmongers, where he was living.
    Just because his dad was "too important" to go directly fight in a war the government deemed necessary, he still helped that very same government that relies on fools, the insane, and the deluded to defend the land Incenjucar's dad lives in.

Defend? Defend from what?

America hasn't been invaded since the colonial era, and if it WAS invaded, my dad, my entire family, would be fucking Armageddon to whoever was so fucking stupid as to threaten America -for real-.

Fuck, my dad was a republican until Dubya failed to find WMDs after claiming he found them.

He was just the not-stupid-as-fuck kind.
    Just because you don't agree to certain decisions the government that the majority elected makes does NOT make it right to judge those who are in the military.

Fuck you.

My existence as a sentient being gives me the right to judge every fucking thing in the universe, and things which don't even fucking exist, especially people who are supposedly representing me with machine guns.

You seriously have no idea what the American ideal is about. America was founded by ANTI-Patriots who started a war based on the notion that a government can be wrong.
    They are there to protect your rights, whether they are volunteers or conscripted, and are working under orders by the people we elected to provide us our rights and the freedom to make our own decisions, all of which they gave up to serve the governement.

That war was not about protecting my rights anymore than the war in Iraq is.

Are you even looking at what you're typing?
    Incenjucar deserves to be permanently crippled in a car wreck, and then we could pity his poor, deluded decision to drive and put himself in harm's way.

And that's the American way.

The Revolution was about getting rid of douches like you.
    Incenjucar can rot in hell for his elitist attitude and the ignorance he has on reality.

I swear, every word you wrote was designed to enforce my sense of superiority.

If you want to get me off my high horse, say something -sane-.

Incenjucar on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007

It's not the same government you moron. There have been many elections since the Vietnam War. The government that exists now is by no means the same as that which served during the Vietnam War.

Protect my rights? Excuse me? How did invading Vietnam protect my rights, exactly? Did they threaten my individual liberties in some way?

Speak for yourself. Coming from a person who thinks we went to Vietnam to protect the liberties of our citizens, this is rather amusing.

ege02 on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This thread started out great but it seems to have run out of amusing Asian stereotypes of Americans.

Someone remedy this please.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited January 2007
    MuddBudd wrote:
    This thread started out great but it seems to have run out of amusing Asian stereotypes of Americans.

Real good; big penis?

That's all I got.

Incenjucar on
  • CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hardly amusing. Did the "pizza arrives faster than the ambulance" one come up yet?

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, lots of people look down on lawyers. It's nothing uncommon.

And, God knows, if the government deems it a just cause, it must be, right?

No, not by a long shot. The government of 1776 didn't decide to wave its dick around in East Asia under the veil of "containment". Don't be a retard.

Yeah because that's a really fair system.

"Okay, all you rich kids with deep enough pockets have the option of paying your way out of involuntary service. All you poor kids can either 1) flee to Canada, 2) go to jail, 3) get drafted, or 4) enlist. That's fair, right?"

Vietnam wasn't a defensive action, shitcock. They didn't threaten us in any way, and we didn't have any business being over there in the first place.

And if you cite the Truman Doctrine as vindication for our actions over there, I will come to your house and murder you. That arrogant piece of interventionist legislation is no different than the Monroe Doctrine or Roosevelt Corelary of old, and it's just as bad as both of them.

Just because you don't agree to certain decisions the government that the majority elected makes does NOT make it right to judge those who are in the military.
    Yes, yes it does; it's called the First Amendment. It's a basic guaranteed right. You may not like that, but it's also the same right that's allowing you to be a flagrant moron on the internet right now.

They are there to protect your rights, whether they are volunteers or conscripted, and are working under orders by the people we elected to provide us our rights and the freedom to make our own decisions, all of which they gave up to serve the governement.
    Not to disrespect our folks in service, but they weren't protecting shit in Vietnam. Unless you're refering to our right to be nosey bastards, in which case yes, they were protecting our rights. Specifically the ones granted by the Truman Doctrine.

And you deserve to have your brain torn our through your nostrils, so we could pity your decision to be a total waste of life with the intellect of a soap stone.

And you can rot in an insane asylum for the twisted and flat-out incorrect view of reality you hold.

Hacksaw on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd find it much easier to take this debate seriously if people stopped saying fuck and shitcock.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    I'd find it much easier to take this debate seriously if people stopped saying fuck and shitcock.

How about shitfuck?

ege02 on
    edited January 2007
    ege02 wrote:
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    How about shitfuck?
    No, because that's just gross.

Should we move this Vietnam veteran discussion into an independent thread rather then continue it here? I want to get back to hearing about stereotypes, akward stories and pizza.

SpeedySwaf on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    Shut the fuck up you stupid shitcocking bastard.

Hacksaw on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    How about shitfuck?

Should we move this Vietnam veteran discussion into an independent thread rather then continue it here? I want to get back to hearing about stereotypes, akward stories and pizza.

At least the US has decent Pizza. My experience of UK pizza has been almost universally terrible. The only ones I've really enjoyed so far are from Pizza express.

Then again, it could just be because I don't generally find fast food all that enticing. Burgers usually taste like crap too, unless you dump a tonne of ketchup on them. And if you're going to do that then you may as well not bother with them. I prefer homemade Pizza and burgers I guess.

subedii on
  • blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    subedii wrote:
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    How about shitfuck?

At least the US has decent Pizza. My experience of UK pizza has been almost universally terrible. The only ones I've really enjoyed so far are from Pizza express.

Then again, it could just be because I don't generally find fast food all that enticing. Burgers usually taste like crap too, unless you dump a tonne of ketchup on them. And if you're going to do that then you may as well not bother with them. I prefer homemade Pizza and burgers I guess.

US pizza is fucking awful. My god, what the fuck are you on - unless I went to the wrong pizza stores - jesus christ this stuff is awful. All shitty dough and hardly any toppings. Give me a woodfire pizza anyday.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    subedii wrote:

US pizza is fucking awful. My god, what the fuck are you on - unless I went to the wrong pizza stores - jesus christ this stuff is awful. All shitty dough and hardly any toppings. Give me a woodfire pizza anyday.

Fair enough, I guess that's another cultural myth dispelled then. :mrgreen:

So where can a guy go to get a decent Pizza? Aside from Italy?

subedii on
  • richpearichpea Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They make an interesting 'sweet potato' topping pizza in Korea. Personally I haven't tasted anything weirder, but if it floats your boat....

richpea on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MuddBudd wrote:

Sadly I don't have any of those but I do have a mildly amusing tale of moving from Texas to Colorado.

I was asked how many horses I had, where my accent was, why I didn't drive an SUV, and most importantly what did I do with my cowboy hat and boots. If people can't understand what people are like less than 1,000 miles away they have no chance of understanding other countries with vastly different cultures.

edit: and we can't forget the ever popular "what country singer do you like best?"

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited January 2007
    So this thread is about pizza now?

ege02 on
    edited January 2007
    ege02 wrote:
    So this thread is about pizza now?
    Pizza in different countries.

SpeedySwaf on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    subedii wrote:
    subedii wrote:

Fair enough, I guess that's another cultural myth dispelled then. :mrgreen:

So where can a guy go to get a decent Pizza? Aside from Italy?
    San Marino?

Aldo on
  • KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All shitty dough and hardly any toppings. Give me a woodfire pizza anyday.

As I said earlier, go to Manhattan or Brooklyn. Several of the places there have ovens which are actually illegal (coal, usually), but they're so old they're grandfathered in. And the pizza is the better for it.

KMGor on