As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your Game Ideas

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh I see.

No, I would just like to see a game that has all of the best things of the different SW games all rolled into one.

That, and branching storylines.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want Harvest Moon in a moon Urban Type enviorment - Or harvest moon with just MORE. like, Obliviion Moon, Towns, other jobs, own a bar, own a farm, whatever you want, and different gameplay elements for each.

I'm a big variety fan.

ANTVGM64 on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Last time we had one of these threads, I suggested a Guitar Hero-style game where you blasted your zombie enemies with the power of rock.

It would basically play like Guitar Hero mixed with Typing of the Dead, essentially.

I still want this game, and any budding developers are free to steal it.

When I was on a big lotro kick I started making a guitar hero ripoff where you played a minstrel and each song was a different scenario. Groups of notes acted like QTEs that would do things like heal you or hurt the enemies and missed notes would screw them up, causing you to not do damage/not heal teammates.

I should try to make this again.

EDIT: Actually it sounds like Patapon + EBA.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • UpfishUpfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have two main ideas for games. They are both first-person RPGs.

Eastern European Genocide (Somewhat inspired by Operation Flashpoint).
    You play as one member of a family (Mother, Father, Teenage Son, Preteen Daughter, Grandfather). The first hour or so of the game involves you doing chores, talking with your family and neighbors, and so on. By speaking to people, it becomes clear to you (the player) that a bordering superpower country is gearing up for a mass-displacement or killing of some kind. When you're done exploring the area, you go to sleep. You're woken up by screaming and gunfire. The army has arrived. Your family decides to hide. You are of course free to do as you like, but it's highly recommended that you hide as well.
    The game is extremely free-form, and so it could go many different ways from this point. The soldiers come into the house, and begin searching. If you let things be, your entire family will be rounded up, or shot as they try to run. Your fate depends on what you do. There's an antique shotgun in the closet, a pistol in your grandfather's dresser, and knives in the kitchen. You could try to kill/incapacitate all the soldiers in your home, run, cause a distraction for the rest of your family to escape, or things in between. If you die, the game switches to a randomly-chosen living family member.
    In any case, if you get away, on your own or with family, you choose what to do from then on. You can try to flee to France or similar country. You can join a guerrilla resistance. If you're young enough, you can join the invading soldiers (where you can choose to participate in the slaughter, or help out the resistance). You can become a part of a refugee community, maintaining a small camp in the forest.
    There's an invisible stats system that slowly and almost imperceivably improves certain aspects of your character.
    A large part of the game is social interaction. Even with the guerrilla or army choices, much of your time is spent talking to people, doing chores, gathering resources, etc. There's a set of minigames for games such as poker or checkers that you might play in these situations. Talking to people involved in the fight, such as soldiers on either side, you'll be given information (that might or might not be true) about both sides. Obviously, if you're on the receiving end of genocide, you'll already be against the army, but if you join the army's side as a means of survival, I want the interactions to be strong enough to make the player think of the invaded country as the enemy.
    The fighting aspect of the game needs to be as realistic, horrifying, and depressing as possible. If you play as the preteen daughter, firing a shotgun will knock you onto your back. Two or three shots to the chest will kill anyone. Nonfatal wounds will impair you significantly. Wounded enemies will drop to the ground and cry (similar to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.). Unarmed enemies will run, hide, or beg for forgiveness. Because of the racial conflict taking place, both sides will brutally and vengefully execute anyone left once the battle is over. Killing in this game should not be fun. The objective is to make you unwilling to kill anyone, and even if your life depends on it, you'll regret it. This game is not fun. And there is no winning. You can escape to a friendly country, you can die in battle, or you can kill every last Albanian dog (or whatever country happens to be invaded).

Zombie Survival
    The game takes place in 1950's American suburbia. Like the genocide game, you can choose one of several people living in a town. The husband or wife of a young married couple, a 40-something accountant, etc. When the game starts, you are watching television. Your program is interrupted by an emergency announcement: A mob of rioters is moving through the town. Citizens are recommended to retreat into their basements or to a community shelter with essential items. Not all the characters you can start as HAVE basements, so several of them will have to get to the shelter.
    You have five minutes from the time you hear the announcement to round up family and take items from your home. It's almost certain that the player will take zombie-killing items instead of more conventional things like jugs of water or photo albums. At the end of the period, you will go into your basement or outside to get to the shelter.
    A week later: You emerge from your hiding spot. Dozens of abandoned cars sit in the streets. All the houses around you have had their windows smashed in, doors are knocked out, there's debris everywhere. You're set loose to explore. In the game's final scripted event, you encounter a horribly wounded man, who, when approached to ask if he needs help, stands up and tries to bite you. He's shot to death by a police officer.
    So, it becomes clear that the town has come under attack by zombies.
    At this point, the game becomes a sandbox. The object of the game is to survive. You can pull together a party, or join someone else's. It's important to establish a base, and any building in the town can be used for this purpose.
    Every NPC has a sims-like motivation and relationship system built into them. This determines how a given NPC will react to certain situations. A cowardly character will run and hide when they see zombies. Some of your party members might not get along with each other, or you. It's up to you to manage these conflicts, or tell whoever's in charge about such problems. It's important you take care of these things, because when an NPC gets upset enough, they will become a liability. Through sabotage or outright murder, they will pull the group down, and you need to get rid of them somehow. Other groups of survivors will have relationships with yours, and this will determine whether you will trade, ignore each other, or fight.
    The zombies are 28 Days Later-style. If you are bitten or scratched even once by a zombie, you are doomed. The game is over, and your friends will shoot you out of self-preservation.
    During the day, the zombies are less active. You have this time to search houses and buildings for food, weapons, building supplies, and other survivors (after the first couple days, all the survivors will be dead or taken by other groups).
    Depending on how desirable your shelter is, other groups may try to take it. Because of this, you need to keep some of your group there. You can stay, and send people out for supplies, you can go alone or with other people. You can get walkie-talkies and use them to communicate with your group.
    At night, zombies will emerge. This can happen while you are still outside gathering. You have to protect your shelter and group, as all your supplies (and hopefully, over time, friends) are there.

Upfish on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jast wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    Oh man, Star Wars.

I don't think anyone wants to hear my Star Wars game idea again.

Wasn't your idea the one when you're a Jedi during the Jedi Civil War, and you're stuck on this planet and have to stealth your way out without being revealed? It was awesome.

Yeah, pretty much.

The player would be a Jedi Padawan (ideally completely customizable because I really, really love having a customazable protagonist at least with a choosable gender and face) during the Jedi Civil War (since during this period, there are a lot of force users still running around, though not so much on the Jedi side anymore). If you remember from KotOR, the Republic is in pretty bad shape at this point and their military is primarily a glorified militia, so you and your master are on a diplomatic mission to a small Outer Rim world trying to drum up support.

While you're there, the Sith attack the planet and your master is killed in the process. The Sith then set up an occupation force.

You're still a Jedi, but you're still just a Padawan. You're inexperienced and your grasp of the Force and your skill at saber combat isn't as robust as a battle hardened Dark Jedi or Sith. You're not invincible and you're not all-powerful. You're just one person trapped on a Sith occupied planet crawling with hundreds of Sith troopers. You're more than a match for your average soldier, but a Dark Jedi veteran of a hundred battles would most likely cut you down with little effort.

So you'd have to avoid too much attention. You'd have to shed your robes and find more inconspicuous clothing and weaponry. You'd have to be just another spacer.

Vibroblades and blasters would have to become your weapons of choice, though you should probably try not to walk around too heavily armed as to avoid drawing too much unwanted attention. You'd still have your lightsaber, of course, but walking around with it strapped to your belt probably isn't the best way to avoid notice by the Sith. And wounds caused by lightsabers are distinctive, so attacking someone with a lightsaber could tip the Sith off to the fact that at least one Jedi is alive and walking around, though that isn't as damaging as being caught with your Jedi pants down.

So while trying to blend into the populace, you'd have to build contacts and gather information. People unhappy with the Sith occupation, members of the criminal underworld, anyone actively fighting the Sith; they might all have information that could prove useful, but not everyone might want to get involved. Information is power and by learning about Sith operations and how to disrupt them, you've already got one up on them.

Ultimately, your goal would be to disrupt Sith operations on the planet and find a way off.

But I think I've rambled enough.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Upfish wrote: »
    I have two main ideas for games. They are both first-person RPGs.

Eastern European Genocide (Somewhat inspired by Operation Flashpoint).
    You play as one member of a family (Mother, Father, Teenage Son, Preteen Daughter, Grandfather). The first hour or so of the game involves you doing chores, talking with your family and neighbors, and so on. By speaking to people, it becomes clear to you (the player) that a bordering superpower country is gearing up for a mass-displacement or killing of some kind. When you're done exploring the area, you go to sleep. You're woken up by screaming and gunfire. The army has arrived. Your family decides to hide. You are of course free to do as you like, but it's highly recommended that you hide as well.
    The game is extremely free-form, and so it could go many different ways from this point. The soldiers come into the house, and begin searching. If you let things be, your entire family will be rounded up, or shot as they try to run. Your fate depends on what you do. There's an antique shotgun in the closet, a pistol in your grandfather's dresser, and knives in the kitchen. You could try to kill/incapacitate all the soldiers in your home, run, cause a distraction for the rest of your family to escape, or things in between. If you die, the game switches to a randomly-chosen living family member.
    In any case, if you get away, on your own or with family, you choose what to do from then on. You can try to flee to France or similar country. You can join a guerrilla resistance. If you're young enough, you can join the invading soldiers (where you can choose to participate in the slaughter, or help out the resistance). You can become a part of a refugee community, maintaining a small camp in the forest.
    There's an invisible stats system that slowly and almost imperceivably improves certain aspects of your character.
    A large part of the game is social interaction. Even with the guerrilla or army choices, much of your time is spent talking to people, doing chores, gathering resources, etc. There's a set of minigames for games such as poker or checkers that you might play in these situations. Talking to people involved in the fight, such as soldiers on either side, you'll be given information (that might or might not be true) about both sides. Obviously, if you're on the receiving end of genocide, you'll already be against the army, but if you join the army's side as a means of survival, I want the interactions to be strong enough to make the player think of the invaded country as the enemy.
    The fighting aspect of the game needs to be as realistic, horrifying, and depressing as possible. If you play as the preteen daughter, firing a shotgun will knock you onto your back. Two or three shots to the chest will kill anyone. Nonfatal wounds will impair you significantly. Wounded enemies will drop to the ground and cry (similar to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.). Unarmed enemies will run, hide, or beg for forgiveness. Because of the racial conflict taking place, both sides will brutally and vengefully execute anyone left once the battle is over. Killing in this game should not be fun. The objective is to make you unwilling to kill anyone, and even if your life depends on it, you'll regret it. This game is not fun. And there is no winning. You can escape to a friendly country, you can die in battle, or you can kill every last Albanian dog (or whatever country happens to be invaded).

Someone.

Make.

This.

Game.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited May 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    no seriously

it's been a few years since a star wars game has been released

let's hear your ideas, we need more star wars games

I have no idea if this is sarcasm or not.

Upfish, both of those ideas sound awesome.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've posted this before, and I'll probably post it again at some future date. However, I'll try to keep it short, as I know the realities of TL;DR

Backstory: In the near future, a group of CEO's from the top companies in the world found that magic is real, and collaborated to enhance and wield it, and of course to keep it to themselves. They do so, but soon become insanely power hungry. They end up trying to take over the world, and get defeated, though bloodily, by the combined militarys of the world. After the war, the governments of most major countries collapsed. Between huge numbers of refugee's, communications being destroyed(cell phone towers, internet lines, most landlines, etc), and desperate people, the US splits into a communal structure, which leads up to the game.

Setting: Various places in the US. The game starts when companies are starting to take over the hole left by the government. These companies are able to start incorporating areas into their control, building private armies, etc. People go with them simply to avoid the crime, the raids, and the benefits of working together, even if it means the downfall of many rights of theirs.

Gameplay: This would be an MMOFPS set in the near future, though with heavy RPG elements. The game would start with a PVE focus at the beginning, but as you get closer and closer to the max level, it shifts towards PVP. There would be a few different types of PVP, from duels(which wouldn't net anything), to party and guild-based PVP. Both of these would net you gear and experience. Enemies wouldn't drop their own loot(Player enemies, that is), but would randomly drop gear based on their level, class, and general gear setup, and the gear wouldn't necessarily be something that person had on them.

Guilds would be companies, and in GvG combat, the rights would take places in instances battles over resources. Winning a GvG would mean defeating your enemies and taking whatever resource they were trying to protect. This would net your guild money, which could be used for various things(player housing, banks, eventually guild-wide buffs, etc). There would also be special loot dropped for winning a GvG, which would be rolled on by the guild to see who gets it.

The combat, like I said, would be FPS. No autotargeting for most things. You would level up, get new skills, and have branching skill paths. However, a level 10 won't decimate a level 5, or a 40 to a 35, at least unless there's skill or gear disparity. I have idea's for six classes(Soldier, Scout, Medic, Engineer, Crafter, and caster), each with three branching paths(similar to wow). Crafter would be its own class, but it would sort of be the jack of all trades in combat. Proficient with all weapons, but master of none. It would have reasons to be picked up in a group, though.

I think I gave the basic idea for this. Feel free to ask about anything I might have forgotten to mention, or seemingly overlooked.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited May 2008
    Oh man, Star Wars.

I don't think anyone wants to hear my Star Wars game idea again.

Wasn't your idea the one when you're a Jedi during the Jedi Civil War, and you're stuck on this planet and have to stealth your way out without being revealed? It was awesome.

Yeah, pretty much.

The player would be a Jedi Padawan (ideally completely customizable because I really, really love having a customazable protagonist at least with a choosable gender and face) during the Jedi Civil War (since during this period, there are a lot of force users still running around, though not so much on the Jedi side anymore). If you remember from KotOR, the Republic is in pretty bad shape at this point and their military is primarily a glorified militia, so you and your master are on a diplomatic mission to a small Outer Rim world trying to drum up support.

While you're there, the Sith attack the planet and your master is killed in the process. The Sith then set up an occupation force.

You're still a Jedi, but you're still just a Padawan. You're inexperienced and your grasp of the Force and your skill at saber combat isn't as robust as a battle hardened Dark Jedi or Sith. You're not invincible and you're not all-powerful. You're just one person trapped on a Sith occupied planet crawling with hundreds of Sith troopers. You're more than a match for your average soldier, but a Dark Jedi veteran of a hundred battles would most likely cut you down with little effort.

So you'd have to avoid too much attention. You'd have to shed your robes and find more inconspicuous clothing and weaponry. You'd have to be just another spacer.

Vibroblades and blasters would have to become your weapons of choice, though you should probably try not to walk around too heavily armed as to avoid drawing too much unwanted attention. You'd still have your lightsaber, of course, but walking around with it strapped to your belt probably isn't the best way to avoid notice by the Sith. And wounds caused by lightsabers are distinctive, so attacking someone with a lightsaber could tip the Sith off to the fact that at least one Jedi is alive and walking around, though that isn't as damaging as being caught with your Jedi pants down.

So while trying to blend into the populace, you'd have to build contacts and gather information. People unhappy with the Sith occupation, members of the criminal underworld, anyone actively fighting the Sith; they might all have information that could prove useful, but not everyone might want to get involved. Information is power and by learning about Sith operations and how to disrupt them, you've already got one up on them.

Ultimately, your goal would be to disrupt Sith operations on the planet and find a way off.

But I think I've rambled enough.

This sounds almost exactly like one of the games I was thinking of, except I would set mine during the period between Ep. III and IV. You would be some padawan who managed to survive Order 66.

The only other thing I would like to see is your character slowly becoming more powerful over time. You may or may not have visible stats, but things like Force Persuasion or other powers would slowly become more powerful over time.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sounds a lot like Shadowrun. :^: I don't think I understand the loot system, though. Do they drop random things like in Diablo, for example, or is there a small pool of gear they drop, like in World of Warcraft?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited May 2008
    Sounds a lot like Shadowrun. :^: I don't think I understand the loot system, though. Do they drop random things like in Diablo, for example, or is there a small pool of gear they drop, like in World of Warcraft?

Drops in PVP would be random from within a fairly large pool.

Raslin on

edited May 2008
    You know what guys, so many good ideas. How about this, when I graduate college I start a game company, then hire a few of you guys, then we make Upfish's Eastern European genocide game. Then after that's a hit, we make Pancake's game. After that, once we expand and the dough is really rolling in, we buy a big building , hire twenty more programmers, and start pumping out awesome games, by the gamers, for the gamers. Now I just need to get a few million dollars, find a suitable building, graduate college, find a publisher....

Seriously, I wish I was born in the seventies.

Now that I think about it. Why hasn't someone started a development company? Lots of guys in the industry here, if people just from Penny Arcade banded together...probaly just a pipe dream though.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited May 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    This sounds almost exactly like one of the games I was thinking of, except I would set mine during the period between Ep. III and IV. You would be some padawan who managed to survive Order 66.

The only other thing I would like to see is your character slowly becoming more powerful over time. You may or may not have visible stats, but things like Force Persuasion or other powers would slowly become more powerful over time.

There was more to it, but I didn't want to make my post too long with specifics.

Ideally I would want some sort of leveling system based on use of skills and such.

I would also want to allow the player to use all seven forms of lightsaber combat and have the player grow in skill in them individually as they use them and have their advantages grow and the disadvantages become less and less pronounced as you gain in ability. For instance, you'd be very versatile in a variety of situations and against a variety of opponents in melee using Niman, but you'd be in a spot of trouble were someone to yank out a blaster, but if you kept practicing at it, eventually you'd be better able to defend against blaster shots. Or using Soresu, you'd be very strong defensively, but you'd lack in offensive power because of the form's shorter reach as you tend to hold your saber closer in to your body, but as you perfected it, you'd get better at extending your reach for attacks.

The forms could be used with more standard melee weapons, of course, but since actual blades have weight, they'd be more sluggish while using the forms and you're probably not going to deflect blaster bolts with a vibroblade.

And combat would be very deadly. This wouldn't be Jedi Knight where you slash someone and they grunt and a few sparks fly off. A lightsaber, and even a vibroblade, is a powerful weapon and getting a solid hit isn't going to leave someone standing, not even you. So find an opening and drive your strike home. Because the weapons have real power to them, fighting multiple opponents is generally inadvisable and would probably get you killed early on and promotes stealth over going all out and trying to slaughter everyone in sight.

And being identified isn't the end of it, as changing your appearance with different clothing or hair or other miscellaneous things could throw them off your trail for a while, but the more diligently they're searching, the more quickly your new disguise will be worthless. And of course, being seen by anyone living in a Sith base would be bad for your continued ability to stay hidden.

As for the setting, I just wanted to pick something that offered a great opportunity for more melee opponents, especially those using lightsabers, and it would also be a great period for a tie in. You could even call it a KotOR spin-off game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited May 2008

There was more to it, but I didn't want to make my post too long with specifics.

Ideally I would want some sort of leveling system based on use of skills and such.

I would also want to allow the player to use all seven forms of lightsaber combat and have the player grow in skill in them individually as they use them and have their advantages grow and the disadvantages become less and less pronounced as you gain in ability. For instance, you'd be very versatile in a variety of situations and against a variety of opponents in melee using Niman, but you'd be in a spot of trouble were someone to yank out a blaster, but if you kept practicing at it, eventually you'd be better able to defend against blaster shots. Or using Soresu, you'd be very strong defensively, but you'd lack in offensive power because of the form's shorter reach as you tend to hold your saber closer in to your body, but as you perfected it, you'd get better at extending your reach for attacks.

The forms could be used with more standard melee weapons, of course, but since actual blades have weight, they'd be more sluggish while using the forms and you're probably not going to deflect blaster bolts with a vibroblade.

And combat would be very deadly. This wouldn't be Jedi Knight where you slash someone and they grunt and a few sparks fly off. A lightsaber, and even a vibroblade, is a powerful weapon and getting a solid hit isn't going to leave someone standing, not even you. So find an opening and drive your strike home. Because the weapons have real power to them, fighting multiple opponents is generally inadvisable and would probably get you killed early on and promotes stealth over going all out and trying to slaughter everyone in sight.

And being identified isn't the end of it, as changing your appearance with different clothing or hair or other miscellaneous things could throw them off your trail for a while, but the more diligently they're searching, the more quickly your new disguise will be worthless. And of course, being seen by anyone living in a Sith base would be bad for your continued ability to stay hidden.

As for the setting, I just wanted to pick something that offered a great opportunity for more melee opponents, especially those using lightsabers, and it would also be a great period for a tie in. You could even call it a KotOR spin-off game.

This game. It needs to be made. I personally think post-Order 66 would be better, because then you could try and add emotional/psychological aspects of really being alone. There's pretty much no one out there who's on your side.

But really, either way. I love this idea.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I swear I have the most perfect ever game idea that is absolutely brilliant and I refuse to share it for fear that one day I will somehow be able to develop it. So come up with your own ideas ya bastich!

Roxtar on
    edited May 2008
    Roxtar wrote: »
    I swear I have the most perfect ever game idea that is absolutely brilliant and I refuse to share it for fear that one day I will somehow be able to develop it. So come up with your own ideas ya bastich!

Do you have any plans of entering the game making business?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2008
    I think he's having a little fun, Heir

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited May 2008

No, he's telling the truth. He has the design doc on his computer, which I haxored. I'm so awed by it that I dare not share it though.

Raslin on

edited May 2008
    His idea is so revolutionary that it will reinvent gaming as we know it, leading to the great gaming boom of 2013.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited May 2008

No see, he must be serious. This is a serious thread.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CarbonNano TubeCarbonNano Tube __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    a space station game where you fly around and visit planets, and study.

CarbonNano Tube on
    edited May 2008
    a space station game where you fly around and visit planets, and study.

Be careful what you say
    They're watching us

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    man i have a game I've always wanted to be made. It would be an rpg, with combat reminiscient of tales of, with depth and items and stats and whatever, but without levels. It would have something like the sphere grid of ffx but less more automatic and underwraps. Basically it would have the statistical depth of an rpg, but be subtle about it so that it still seemed real. The setting and story would have to be great. The game would be extremely linear in story. There would be sidequests, but only to flesh out the main story withe more detail and more npcs and backstory.

Yeah, I know, that sounds like any good jrpg, BUT...

-first person. The idea of the game would be literally be the ultimate immersion. Every single moment of the game would be first person, even cutscenes. Better yet, where ever you went, your party would be walking around with you. If your walking through the city and look around you, your party would be there, unlike basically every rpg ever.

-focus on sound. The protagonist (you) would have only the most necessary voice acting, but you would here a lot from everyone else. The narration would be your (protagonist) thoughts, and the would be lots and lots of these thoughts. Sound would be a focus, and you would mostly be hearing yourself. You would be able to just barely hear yourself breathing, and you would be able to hear it more in combat and stress. If you get slashed by someone, you would hear your flesh tear. You would hear sword clangs from all sword hits in the speaker on your controller because the game is on...

-wii, nunchuck to move, pointer to look. To attack you would hold down the b-button for a short while and do a gesture. The holding of the button would for that split second radically desensitize the looking around controls. For example, if standing, and you swung the wii-mote back behind you to stab something that you heard sneaking up on you, your head would move realistically, but not spin around 180 degrees. An option to switch to 2-3 button combat without moving would be available. You would enjoy the combat system during the complete lack of...

-random battles. In fact, no 'battles' in the normal rpg sense. The entire game would be the overworld. You would see the enemies, exactly as they appear, wandering around the in game world. They wouldn't be pacing or patrolling, unless they were people meant to, but animals would be doing animal things and what not. For example. If you were walking around the forest and saw a creature charge at you, you better alert your party and get out your sword. There would be no 'break' between walk and battle, no corny screen shatter, or blur, or pokemon-esq screen strobing.

steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    *awesome corporate MMO concept*

You really need to meet a friend of mine. Picture extra Syndicate being mixed in with what you've got there and you'd get a title he's dedicated to making one day. 'Cept he had some sort of global database going where people could search for recruits/allies (i.e., other players) for missions and tasks based off their in-game aptitudes. Still, the way you phrase all that, I can see why he's so in love with the whole corporate-war concept :^:

I've got several horribly messy uber-game ideas that're completely unrealisable (I'd mention Gang of Daggers here but someone already made the reference) but something I really think could work would be a game I'll dub Monitor. Basic concept boilds down to an indepth MP RPG/FPS- one with melee elements, ala Dark Messiah or the Condemned series- except every map/scenario has a GM, and in the main game mode he and his NPC minions are the enemy.

You know Dungeon Masters in D&D, or the eponymous Zombie Master in that Half-Life 2 mod? The human team, and here I end up thinking of the sort of character builds you'd get in a System Shock 2 co-operative run-through, band together to survive the futuristic hellhole and all the security systems and beasties the GM can throw at them. Bluntly I was playing Dark Messiah and found myself wishing that the massive arena map had someone viewing the proceedings and throwing challenges at me, and the idea came from there. Except it ended up sci-fi, 'cos I'm a fanboy for that shit.

Locking down doors, making machinery malfunction and explode, spawning enemies, retracting walkways abruptly, crushing luckless players with innocous loading equipment... And just to keep things interesting, the GM would also have the option to create characters/classes, and even play them in first-person when they feel a boss encounter coming on. Of course there'd be limits to that sort of thing, as some GMs would view it as their duty to beat the players ASAP, rather than remember that it's their "job", so to speak, to entertain the attacking team.

But I'm sure there are people other than myself sad enough to [strike]torment[/strike] GM for a team when they get to do most of the shooting and adventuring.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Since we're tossing out pie-in-the-sky ideas:

A Superman game that doesn't suck.

Sandbox style, with the player having full access to Superman's powers from the get-go (flight, super-strength (able to lift cars, punch enemies through buildings, maybe pick up parts of the environment to use as a weapon), super-speed (in-game supersonic would be the goal, in flight and on land), heat vision, freeze breath, x-ray vision, super-hearing, invulnerability).

The last one is the key. Barring certain boss fights, you as Superman can't really be meaningfully hurt. Crooks will try, of course, but by and large you're a demigod lording it over Metropolis. The game comes with your heroic reputation.

There'll always be a crisis to resolve. Darkseid launched an invasion of the city, you've got to put it down causing as little property damage as possible. Cause too much, and you lose your reputation. If your reputation goes into the negatives, you're considered a threat to humanity and you'll have to fight off other superheroes (chiefly Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman, who would be boss fights) and the military. Keep a positive reputation, and you'll be hailed as a paragon of virtue and kindness and end up fighting guys like the Parasite, Doomsday, Darkseid, Mongul, and Bizarro.

The trick with the reputation is that you have a variety of tasks, something like:
    - saving a kitten from a tree
    - stopping a bank robbery
    - putting out a fire
    - saving people from a collapsing building
    - stopping suicidal jumpers without killing them (have to catch them within a certain timeframe, or they splat when you catch them)
    - stopping gang battles
    - getting people to a hospital (maybe even helping to deliver a baby)
    - stopping prison breakouts

And each task will have a variety of resolutions, and the more powers you use the more stylish the save is and the better your reputation becomes. So, for example, you could use ice breath to put out a fire or you could fly to a water tower, grab it, and fly back using your super strength to tip the water tower on the fire. Both would add to your heroic reputation, but the latter way would add significantly more.

The endgame would culminate in a Superman versus the Revenge Squad style free for all, where youv'e got to save the city from an onslaught of supervillains and crazy threats like the Kryptococchus monster.

Another element would involve disguise. The palyer can explore Metropolis as either Clark Kent or Superman. As Clark Kent, they'd be exploring it on the ground and would lack all but the invulnerability power. The player would have to make sure to keep their identity hidden and change between characters in places that are out of the way. Playing as Clark Kent offers the player the chance to see disasters from the ground level, and intervene or not without impacting the heroic reputation.

I oculd make up a narrative for the game easily, but in my opinion it's important to first define what's fun and what the player can do that's unique and interesting.

LibrarianThorne on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want an extremely realistic surgery game with all of the body parts extremely detailed. That way, if I screw up, the results will probably be either horrifying or hilarious.

Couscous on
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would love it if somebody stole my idea.

Start with a space-flight game like Freespace, Tachyon, Privateer, you know. You fly around space, shoot stuff, blow stuff up, and get money from doing missions so you can buy new ships and upgrades and stuff.

Then add planets and space stations you can go to. And leave your ship. And it becomes a first-person shooter. So you can buy yourself body armor and small arms and there's jobs and missions and stuff you can do on foot.

Unfortunately I have no interest in programming or... pretty much anything that could be used for game creation, so I could never put anything forward to make this a reality.

Stasis on
  • MichaelJWilliamsMichaelJWilliams Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

SNIP

That sounds like it could really work. Maybe the player could rack up separate reputation points for Clark Kent as well (as a reporter), giving more of a reason to play as him? This could even lend weight to Clark's pro-Superman articles, which would in turn increase Superman's reputation.

MichaelJWilliams on
    edited May 2008
    This game. It needs to be made. I personally think post-Order 66 would be better, because then you could try and add emotional/psychological aspects of really being alone. There's pretty much no one out there who's on your side.

But really, either way. I love this idea.

I see what you mean about the time period, but I don't know, I just like saber fighting. There's not much in the way of real force users until after the Empire and getting into the New Republic era is something I wouldn't want to touch ever.

But I know they won't for legal reasons, but I really, really hope someone at LucasArts steals this idea and makes an amazing game from it. I'd love to work on it myself but game development isn't something I want to do with my life.

I have other ideas too, but for some reason, all my game ideas always involve Star Wars. Because like Captain K said, there's not enough Star Wars games.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • captmorgancaptmorgan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    - stopping suicidal jumpers without killing them (have to catch them within a certain timeframe, or they splat when you catch them)

Can you be sued for interfering with their death? :P

captmorgan on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've had this zombie survival game bouncing around in my head for a while. At the base of things, you essentially start out at the beginning of an outbreak and have to choose how to survive. The world would be open and continuous, probably starting in the middle of some crowded city. Not exactly sure about the gameplay - could work as an isometric clickfest, fps, or even over-the-shoulder a la RE4 - but it would probably be a mix of first-person for guns and third person for melee. You gain experience for some things, like stamina or welding, but your strength and defense stats would be solely tied to the gear you have/make and the build of your base character that you create. Essentially a GTA-esque sanbox with rpg elements and the ability to use anything in your environment, whether it be for bashing in a zombie skull or fortifying a roving UPS truck base.

The other aspect of the game would be that it's essentially an MMO. This part of the game draws a lot of inspiration from a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world. You can choose to go on your own as the solo badass, team up with randoms you meet to deal with situations, join defendable communes and conduct gear/food raids, or ride around in a gang of rogues, fighting and pillaging anything in your way. This is pretty basic MMO stuff, but the context makes it rad.

As far as locales, I'd prefer it to be based on our actual world, but it's not necessary. Desolate areas like deserts and alpine regions would have less zombies and stuff (generally), but take more gas/energy to get to. Big, dense cities would have tons of zombies and the best items. You could make bases anywhere, such as at the top of a skyscraper. Starting areas for noobs would be something like suburban neighbourhoods near cities, with small amounts of zombies and plenty of options.

Stamina would matter a lot. It would determine what you could do in a day, and bases would need to make sure they have enough to support everyone. Raiding supermarkets for preserved/canned goods would be a must. Livestock would be rare, but would provide constant sources of nutrition like eggs and milk, or even meat if you have enough to breed (or are a raider that just wants to slaughter your winnings).

Zombies would be essentially the same, with only slight differences in strength and ferocity that one would expect from something that was once human. The big difference would be zombie density. Hard places would have lots of zombies. The story could also bring in some sort of government/bourgeoisie element, too, involving the military and ooh perhaps psychotic people that have survived the outbreak by killing everything that comes near them (with totally sweet, acquirable gear, of course). The military part would come into play for later missions, involving raiding military bases for really good items.

oh yeah, and I think whenever a player dies, there should be a little local outbreak. It wouldn't mean much for them to just leave behind one zombie, so I think there'd have to be a group. That way, if you're playing with others, you really don't want them to die. As for the person that died, they'd probably just lose a few stamina stat points, leave their gear behind (for possible retrieval), and spawn back in their base or a safe area.

tl;dr - GTA-esque zombie survival MMO

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I always wanted to see a sandbox game like GTA but with random scenarios thrown in. It doesn't even need a specific narrative but like half way in the game fucking zombie outbreak occurs and maybe other shit happens later. Everything resets to a normal state after awhile, but half the stuff that happens isn't even revealed to you that it's even a possibility in the game. Maybe if there's no focus it wouldn't be liked but if the point of the game is just to experience and survive a number of unique problems in the game world that would be enough.

JJ on
  • captmorgancaptmorgan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The more I think about, why hasn`t star trek voyager been made into a game? (ya ya I know elite force)

You start off in the delta quadrant with a under powered but highly customizable star ship and you have to get back. Negotiate/steal technology, research new weapons, shields, engines. Your decisions could affect the federations reputation in that region. Keep it high and you usher the federation into a new age of peace and prosperity with all the new planets eager to join. Or cut allot of corners, double cross allies, steal tech, help the borg (insert what ever sci-villain) you might get back sooner but you cause the federation to be plunged into a war with all the people you pissed. It seems like a perfect fit.

captmorgan on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh hey.

Neat.

My turn. Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty close to what I would want as a really awesome game.

There are major human factions, each fighting each other for dominance in a given area of the galaxy, filled with stars with surrounding systems. However, each faction is made up of player-controlled Houses. See: Dune. They've pledged allegiance to a faction. But they're not above fighting each other for power and resources within that faction.

Each House would have a "power" rating with the Faction. So, a House that controls a large number of planets would have a high Power. However, a small House could have more power than a larger one if they have control of a valuable resource or really ahead in technology, because the other Houses don't want to risk not getting the resource or the technology.

Each House would also have a "reputation" rating. During a faction battle, each faction would call upon their Houses to provide X number of combat vessels of X type, or face consequences. Sending more would increase your reputation, and thus allow you to get away with a little more than the average House. Generously donating money, resources, or technology to other House members would also increase your Reputation.

tl;dr Dune with multiple Imperiums fighting each other.

MechMantis on
    edited May 2008
    This thread has encouraged me to try to start a video game development company when I get old enough and get out of college. So many good ideas. If I could make even one of them, it would be a dream come true. Have to long way to go yet, but who knows, if everything goes right and I'm lucky, one of these ideas will be turned into a game. Everybody has to start somewhere, and if two programmers can start a company and create their own engine, then make three open world games, if I can get a good team together, maybe I can be successful too.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited May 2008
    This thread has encouraged me to try to start a video game development company when I get old enough and get out of college. So many good ideas. If I could make even one of them, it would be a dream come true. Have to long way to go yet, but who knows, if everything goes right and I'm lucky, one of these ideas will be turned into a game. Everybody has to start somewhere, and if two programmers can start a company and create their own engine, then make three open world games, if I can get a good team together, maybe I can be successful too.

Not to discourage you from following your dreams, but from what I've read most game developers get burnt out in about 6 years, which is roughly two games. Of course if you really have a passion for it you might stay in the business for a long time (like Romero or Cliffy B.) Plus as time goes on and new technology is developed, we're getting closer and closer to the games we've always dreamed of.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Stasis wrote: »
    I would love it if somebody stole my idea.

Start with a space-flight game like Freespace, Tachyon, Privateer, you know. You fly around space, shoot stuff, blow stuff up, and get money from doing missions so you can buy new ships and upgrades and stuff.

Then add planets and space stations you can go to. And leave your ship. And it becomes a first-person shooter. So you can buy yourself body armor and small arms and there's jobs and missions and stuff you can do on foot.

Unfortunately I have no interest in programming or... pretty much anything that could be used for game creation, so I could never put anything forward to make this a reality.
    Interestingly enough, there's this Russian PC game that is supposedly exactly that. Forgot the name, though, and bugger if I know where you can get a hold of it.

Sorenson on
    edited May 2008
    Precursors, same company that I was talking about founded by two programmmers is making it.

Not out yet.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • beauVSIIbeauVSII Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I've got one, It may even be out already, but Anywho, here goes.

I've always thought a War MMO would be really intresting, but not like the other ones we've had. Here's my plan. It's a living world, with stuff going on all the time. You're playing 2 (or 3 or however many) sides, in a real war, as in one side could lose, and be totaly wiped out, which would "restart" the game. Of course, this is a real war, so it would'nt be that easy.

The charaters would work like this. You start off as a Private, or whatever the lowest ranking is, and you slowly build up your char, get ranks, build up your skill with the rifle, etc. Here's the twist though. If you decide to be a idiot and try to take on a tank one on one? You die. And that's it. Your char is now dead, thank you for playing, please Re-Roll. Now, of course, this may seem stupid, and I'd agree, but there is a way for skillful players to "keep" their stats, if not their chars. As you do things, do objectives, save people, you get experience. But the experience dos'nt go away when you die. You use that and "buy" levels. Lets say you're a level 5, with 5000 xp. You try to push forward, and get sniped. You die, and you have now, lets say, 4000 xp. You then spend that XP upgradeing your new Char. So when you start next time, you're a level 4 with zero XP. You gain xp at a quicked rate untill you match your current level, but it's still working to get back to where you were.

As for the gameplay, it's a real war. As in, there's supply lines, intel, you have to guard, make slow careful pushes, although the boring jobs can be handled by slightly dumb Bots. And as you play, you take over factories, get more landing zones, and improve standings.

Here's the, in my opnion, intresting part though. You have to "buy" your gear. And you buy your gear by running a tiny program in the background of your computer, call it "Homefront". What that does is it slowly, or quickly, think "SETI@home" style processing, builds up points, one set for you, and one for the whole war. Lets say you need some more air-power near front 2. You pay for it with the global points. Of course, something big would take thousands of points, so you'd need everyone working together to get the big factories, battleships and whatnot.

AS for where they go, the generals decide that. Who're the generals? They get elected by everyone else. That's how you get promoted to a NCO (I think that's the term, my military jargon is rusty). You get voted into it. Lets say you do a great job keeping your squad alive, keep everone working and do a great job. Well, you may be promoted if enough people recommend you for it. And once you get to the General level, you decide where troops should be moving, where ships go, all of that.

Anywho, there's my very rough idea :) what do you think?

*PRAYING TO THE GAME DEVELOPING GODS*

beauVSII on
    "And i was like, Yeah Bitch - I'm Having this!"
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

SNIP

That sounds like it could really work. Maybe the player could rack up separate reputation points for Clark Kent as well (as a reporter), giving more of a reason to play as him? This could even lend weight to Clark's pro-Superman articles, which would in turn increase Superman's reputation.

I wrote up a design doc for a game based on the series Transmetropolitan some time ago, but the thing I discovered then is that if you're going to make journalism fun, you've really got to work at it. Clark Kent would be more of an extra thing the player could do whereas the meat of the game would be playing as Superman (which should be more fun than playing as Clark Kent, in my opinion).

LibrarianThorne on