As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ghost Sighting?

WeeSneakWeeSneak Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, long story short. Friend was messing around with digital camera, put it into PC, this came out.

What i want to know is if this is the camera messing up, if one of you photo gurus out there can actually check if it actually in the photo as opposed to a camera error, since it could be anything really.

It takes a few minutes for your eyes to really get it, to tell the truth i thought my friend was freaking out because of the wisp of what i assume to be smoke but it turns out it looks like the lighter side of someones face, with the other side in shadow.

I have taken the liberty of drawing some rough guidelines to show you where it is, as i didnt really see it at first.

FIRST IMAGE (GUIDELINE OVER WHATEVER IT IS)
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6229/ghostsb9.jpg

SECOND IMAGE(GUIDELINE AND POINTING OUT A FEW ATTRIBUTES)
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7452/ghost2mb2.jpg

You can probably make out the face from looking at both images one after the other.

Feedback and an answer is desired, since i am a little freaked out.

sigmh7.jpg
WeeSneak on

• JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    while i couldn't tell you exactly what it is i am willing to bet that it's simply a combination of light (maybe your face!) getting into your lenses, and that motion blur because you appear to have had the shutter open for a good several seconds.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    no dude, it's totally a ghost. What you gonna do? Who you gonna call?

[spoiler:7b4d5691bd]Ghost Busters?[/spoiler:7b4d5691bd]

it's most likely nothing man. Does that even look like anyone you know?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • WeeSneakWeeSneak Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Although i would not like to further the freakiness of this in regards to getting a viable technical and scientific based answer it does look like someone i know. Suffice to say no photos of him have been taken with that camera.

Does anyone even have another more specific forum i could post this on? Not to diss you guys but on a forum like this, theres not really likely to be a paranormal expert.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg
    edited December 2006
    WeeSneak wrote:
    paranormal expert.

:lol:

what's all the other faded layers? I see like a faded carpet

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    "Paranormal Expert" almost sounds like an oxymoron to me.

It looks like a face because you're a human and you're trained to recognize human attributes (like faces) in random patterns. This is the exact same phenomena that makes people see jesus in grilled cheese sandwiches or faces on mars. Your silhouette line (which doesn't even really accurately follow any form in this picture) only furthers the staging of any viewer to see a human form rather than some crescent blob

The shudder was left open for several seconds and the camera was obviously shuffled around quite a lot during that time. The supposed ghost could be so many things with such an overexposed photo it seems almost silly to try to tell you exactly what made it.

Scosglen on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's not a ghost. You seem to have poor understanding of photography.

The Green Eyed Monster on
    edited December 2006
    One wonders how a ghost would give off enough light to be seen with a shutter but not enough to be seen by a human eye.

Unless you're insinuating that the ghost hacked the memory card and altared your image file information!

A distinct lack of balls indeed.

Jinnigan on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Scosglen wrote:
    The shudder was left open for several seconds and the camera was obviously shuffled around quite a lot during that time. The supposed ghost could be so many things with such an overexposed photo it seems almost silly to try to tell you exactly what made it.

between the silhouette being added with opacity cranked down, and it showing up between the knees or pillows in the foreground and the camara, I figured it was just stuff screened in using photoshop.

But now that I think about it, there is another totally posible reason why there would be a pink blure in front of everything else in a picture.

you've got 5 of them on each hand.

I hear the center of inquiry's forum has a section for stuff about the paranormal. You could try posting there.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    One wonders how a ghost would give off enough light to be seen with a shutter but not enough to be seen by a human eye.

Unless you're insinuating that the ghost hacked the memory card and altared your image file information!

As i said before,i dont do the whole photo thing, i dont know what the fuck it is, and as such i am asking here.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Like Redx said:

It's probably a finger you left in front of the camera for half a second.

Jinnigan on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    WeeSneak wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

As i said before,i dont do the whole photo thing, i dont know what the fuck it is, and as such i am asking here.
    The number of things it could be is incredible.

There still remains no chance whatsoever that it's a ghost.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What if its the ghost of Saddam Hussein?

Al_wat on
    edited December 2006
    Al_wat wrote:

people in my barbershop were arguing over if he got a last meal or not :lol:

To OP:

Yea, it's defintely not a ghost, calm down

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Al_wat wrote:

Or Michael Jackson

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm surprised you didn't comment on the guy to the left whose collar is clearly visible. It is a reflection of two guys, or perhaps one that was moving.

stigweard on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    the trails of light suggest a low shutter speed/whatever

I'm betting money this is not a ghost, and is nothing but a weird exposure, your friend fucking around, a prank on you by him, or a finger in front of the lens

now that I look at it some more, it looks like a reflection

edit: f u fallout

Raneados on
  • homeobockshomeobocks Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    WeeSneak wrote:
    Al_wat wrote:

Or Michael Jackson

The OP is scared enough as it is.

homeobocks on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Looks like a reflection to me. Not a ghost.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Humans tend to find facial patterns in stuff where there is none. The whole "man's face on the moon" thing? And that rock they found on Mars?

It's a reflection, nothing more.

ege02 on
  • polarbluepolarblue Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    try taking more pictures of that area, see if it turns up again

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    WeeSneak wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

It looks like your friend had the camera pointed at himself, and then spun it around real quick with the shutter open.

Either that or hes photoshopped a picture of a face in with like 2% opacity.

Hes obviously been fucking with the camera though, generally you dont get light streaks in your pictures just by taking a normal picture.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ghosts don't exist

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    wrote:
    -[arlequin]ghosts don't exist
    Sure they do.

This isn't one, though. This is just a really bad picture is all. If you use a camera as incorrectly as possible you will see all sorts of crazy shit in the picture.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited December 2006
    stigweard wrote:
    I'm surprised you didn't comment on the guy to the left whose collar is clearly visible. It is a reflection of two guys, or perhaps one that was moving.

Yeah i noticed that too. To tell you the truth it looks as if another photo of something random has been overlayed on it.

Anyway, just to elaborate i dont think its a ghost, but of course it was the first thing that popped into my head, i honestly dont believe in ghosts, nor do i think they would be in this shitty flat.

Thanks for all theories though, put my mind at ease that there are a plethora of viable reasons for it rather than a ghostie.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg
  • YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zeon wrote:
    It looks like your friend had the camera pointed at himself, and then spun it around real quick with the shutter open.

We have a winner. It was a long exposure and it someone was in front of the camera and then moved out of view.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2006
    Zeon wrote:

We have a winner. It was a long exposure and it someone was in front of the camera and then moved out of view.

Is that plausable? I was sitting to the left of the camera as it was taken so i guess thats a good explanation.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    WeeSneak wrote:
    Yeah i noticed that too. To tell you the truth it looks as if another photo of something random has been overlayed on it.
    That can happen, and with a film-camera it can be done intentionally, with fucking sweet results.

ViolentChemistry on
  • SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The face looks like its the face of whoever is on TV in the background. My guess is that the lens caught that at a wierd angle and with poor lighting then reproduced it on the other side of the screen. Its blown up a little bit because I bet it caught the curve of the right side of the lens.

The TV sort of multiplied itself into your friend's jeans also and the face is at the same angle as the face on the TV would be. Figure out who was on TV at the time, cause that face probably belongs to them.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
    edited January 2007
    Slapnuts wrote:
    The face looks like its the face of whoever is on TV in the background. My guess is that the lens caught that at a wierd angle and with poor lighting then reproduced it on the other side of the screen. Its blown up a little bit because I bet it caught the curve of the right side of the lens.

The TV sort of multiplied itself into your friend's jeans also and the face is at the same angle as the face on the TV would be. Figure out who was on TV at the time, cause that face probably belongs to them.

Ummmm there is no TV in the room, theres a PC, but it was off at the time.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Then what the hell is the thing that looks like Judge Judy is on the left side of the picture?

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
    edited January 2007
    WeeSneak wrote:
    That can happen, and with a film-camera it can be done intentionally, with fucking sweet results.

If its not Judge Judy then I'm gonna say this is the explanation.

Slapnuts on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WeeSneak wrote:
    Zeon wrote:

Is that plausable? I was sitting to the left of the camera as it was taken so i guess thats a good explanation.

It's exactly what happened unless your friend did some photoshoppery. If you have the original file it will have the EXIF data so we can see what the exposure was. I'm guessing he used about a half second to one second shutter speed with the flash on for the first curtain and he took a picture of those pillows and the rug or whatever they are which are in focus with flash on them then panned the camera around to you or himself where the face would be out of focus then the shutter closed. The streaks of light are a dead giveaway that the camera was moved during the exposure.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
    edited January 2007
    Why aren't the pants (pardon the next word) streaked? They're a bright spot on the image. If there was that drastic a movement in such a short amount of time, I don't think anything would be in focus, including the pants.

I'm not clear, was this a digi or a film camera?

Slapnuts on
    edited January 2007
    Slapnuts wrote:
    Why aren't the pants (pardon the next word) streaked? They're a bright spot on the image. If there was that drastic a movement in such a short amount of time, I don't think anything would be in focus, including the pants.

I'm not clear, was this a digi or a film camera?

They aren't streaked because they were lit with flash.

saltiness on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Ghost of Michael Jackson 1987 is Michael Jackson 2007.

Ruckus on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys, I encountered a similar phenomenon in the ladies dressing rooms in Anchor Blue.

I think I need to see a professional.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/Bearcat101/CIMG1673-1.jpg

[spoiler:ad829d3196]With sexy results[/spoiler:ad829d3196]

Bearcat on
    edited January 2007
    Bearcat wrote:
    Hey guys, I encountered a similar phenomenon in the ladies dressing rooms in Anchor Blue.

I think I need to see a professional.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/Bearcat101/CIMG1673-1.jpg

That is definitely a ghost. Seek help.

saltiness on
    edited January 2007
    It was a digital camera to the guy who asked, and as i said im gonna go with one of the more previous explanations.

As i said i don't think its a ghost, but lets face it, if you took that photo as a very in-experienced photographer then you would have thought the same at first in a skeptical sort of way.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg