As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forgotten Realm Comics or other fantasy comic

Bloods EndBloods End Blade of TyshallePunch dimensionRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Graphic Violence
Recently I started reading the Forgotten Realm books by R.A Salvatore, and noticed that he had written some comics set in that universe and starring Drizzt Do'Urden. Are they any good and do are they comic versions of the books or whole new stories?

Bloods End on

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    They're just illustrated versions of the books. I'm a big fan of a lot of the Forgotten Realms books, and especially Salvatore's stuff, the comic versions left me a little cold. They're not really bad, but they don't really do justice to Salvatore's amazing fight scenes, and they translated the books a little too literally, directly lifting dialogue and such. This tends to make the comics feel very rushed.

Now, if you want some good, lesser-known fantasy comics left me recommend the following;

Rokkin: A six-part mini-series from Wildstorm that just concluded. It's absolutely filled with crazy amounts of swordplay, disembowelments, and over-the-top action. It focuses primarily upon Arness, a butcher-turned-slave who, through selfless actions, earns the favor of a divine deity, which allows him to become Rokkin, a powerful warrior covered in stone. It's all sort of tongue in cheek, and one of the best fantasy comics I've read lately.

Knights of the Dinner Table: Illustrated: A spinoff of the popular Knights of the Dinner Table comic (once featured in Dragon Magazine), this comic parodies traditional pen and paper RPG gameplay. The first several issues, drawn by Aaron Williams (Nodwick), are just awesome.

Kenzer and Company (who publish KODT), also did some Dungeons and Dragons comics years back that, if you can get ahold of them, are awfully good. I was a big fan of In Shadows of Dragons.

Also good are Nodwick, which is available online and in trades, and Girl Genius.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Munch wrote:
    They're just illustrated versions of the books. I'm a big fan of a lot of the Forgotten Realms books, and especially Salvatore's stuff, the comic versions left me a little cold. They're not really bad, but they don't really do justice to Salvatore's amazing fight scenes, and they translated the books a little too literally, directly lifting dialogue and such. This tends to make the comics feel very rushed.

Now, if you want some good, lesser-known fantasy comics left me recommend the following;

Rokkin: A six-part mini-series from Wildstorm that just concluded. It's absolutely filled with crazy amounts of swordplay, disembowelments, and over-the-top action. It focuses primarily upon Arness, a butcher-turned-slave who, through selfless actions, earns the favor of a divine deity, which allows him to become Rokkin, a powerful warrior covered in stone. It's all sort of tongue in cheek, and one of the best fantasy comics I've read lately.

Knights of the Dinner Table: Illustrated: A spinoff of the popular Knights of the Dinner Table comic (once featured in Dragon Magazine), this comic parodies traditional pen and paper RPG gameplay. The first several issues, drawn by Aaron Williams (Nodwick), are just awesome.

Kenzer and Company (who publish KODT), also did some Dungeons and Dragons comics years back that, if you can get ahold of them, are awfully good. I was a big fan of In Shadows of Dragons.

Also good are Nodwick, which is available online and in trades, and Girl Genius.

I've heard you rave about Rokkin and was tempted to pick up the last issue when I saw it at the shop, but decided to wait to get it all in TPB.

How was Hedge Knight?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hedge Knight is great, especially if you're a fan of Martin.

I was a big fan and supporter of Crossgen and all of their titles, while they lasted. I can recommend all of their books, but be warned that a lot of them end mid story because they went bankrupt. The main fantasy titles were Mystic, Scion, Sojourn, Brath, and the Path.

Hensler on