As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Greatest Country on Earth!

15678911»

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    US pizza is fucking awful. My god, what the fuck are you on - unless I went to the wrong pizza stores - jesus christ this stuff is awful. All shitty dough and hardly any toppings. Give me a woodfire pizza anyday.
    I'm pretty sure that the US invented pizza. Where are you saying that has better pizza than here?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    KMGor wrote:
    All shitty dough and hardly any toppings. Give me a woodfire pizza anyday.

As I said earlier, go to Manhattan or Brooklyn. Several of the places there have ovens which are actually illegal (coal, usually), but they're so old they're grandfathered in. And the pizza is the better for it.

The best New York pizza I've found is Garabaldi's, in Brooklyn Heights. Very nice pizza. I like Chicago-style as well. One of these days Shinto's going to take me to Boston's North End so I can see what "authentic" Boston-style pizza is supposed to be about.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    subedii wrote:
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    I'd find it much easier to take this debate seriously if people stopped saying fuck and shitcock.
    How about shitfuck?
    No, because that's just gross.

Should we move this Vietnam veteran discussion into an independent thread rather then continue it here? I want to get back to hearing about stereotypes, akward stories and pizza.

At least the US has decent Pizza. My experience of UK pizza has been almost universally terrible. The only ones I've really enjoyed so far are from Pizza express.

Then again, it could just be because I don't generally find fast food all that enticing. Burgers usually taste like crap too, unless you dump a tonne of ketchup on them. And if you're going to do that then you may as well not bother with them. I prefer homemade Pizza and burgers I guess.

US pizza is fucking awful. My god, what the fuck are you on - unless I went to the wrong pizza stores - jesus christ this stuff is awful. All shitty dough and hardly any toppings. Give me a woodfire pizza anyday.

You shut your shitcock mouth. I like my pizza like I like my women: fat, doughy, and lathered in tomato sauce.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that the US invented pizza. Where are you saying that has better pizza than here?

:?

italyif9.jpg

To both your statements.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:

It depends The Italians definetly DID have flat bread with mozzarella and tomato sauce on it way before the US did - 17th century or something like that.

But the typical pizza concept Americans think of, the semi-thin oiled bread with the rolled up crust with heavy mozarella (and usually only mozarella) on top of tomato sauce with toppings the very top of all that is essesntially American. Chicago-style is also 100% American - how could it not be? Take a great food, and make it way bigger by giving it a pie-type crust. There's few foods that more encapsulate American values at their best (or worst).

New York style is my favorite though.

KMGor on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    BewisBewis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have to agree with New York style being the best you can get in the US (although New Jersey will work in a pinch).

Bewis on
    donatedestruction.png
    Please, think of the children.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:

:?

italyif9.jpg

To both your statements.
    Man the pizza in Florence tasted like ass.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

I'm pretty sure that you have absolutely no good sense for how to utilize the consumer goods of the States.

Did you go to Pizza Hut or some shit like that?

Hell, Dominos, Pizza Factory, Round Table, Me-n-Eds, all pretty damned decent pizzas (The later the better), and they have so many damned toppings you cannot keep them on the pizza because gravity does not allow for that much mass to be concentrated on one spot without opening up a black hole, and a black hole would ruin your dining experience.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:

You must have been to some shitty places then. Either way, the best pizza is in Naples.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:

You must have been to some shitty places then. Either way, the best pizza is in Naples.

Granted I wasn't all that familiar with the good restaurants that weren't in the touristy areas, but the food as a whole was underwhelming in Florence. The pizza was especially half-assed.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

Granted I wasn't all that familiar with the good restaurants that weren't in the touristy areas, but the food as a whole was underwhelming in Florence. The pizza was especially half-assed.

Florence as a whole is half-assed.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I only lived there for a couple months, but I really liked Florence, and I might agree with you that it does seem "half-assed," but only because the retarded amount of tourists makes it that way.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Heh, this thread sure has taken several weird turns away from the original topic.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I might as well relate this: years ago in high school we had an old student of our teacher come in to talk to use about China. Outside the string of "Do you guys eat dog/cat/frog/etc." from several students, it was still pretty informative and we heard a lot about how life went down there and how the schools were set up.

I was finally able to ask my question that went along the lines of, "What was the first thing you noticed about America that was very different from China?"

His response: "How fat you all are."

None of us were really surprised.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Hell, Dominos, Pizza Factory, Round Table, Me-n-Eds, all pretty damned decent pizzas (The later the better), and they have so many damned toppings you cannot keep them on the pizza because gravity does not allow for that much mass to be concentrated on one spot without opening up a black hole, and a black hole would ruin your dining experience.

Amen @ Domino's

JCM on
  • Options
    CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Blech. I'd pick the Hut over the 'Nos anyday. And any other place over those two.

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    One of these days Shinto's going to take me to Boston's North End so I can see what "authentic" Boston-style pizza is supposed to be about.

Dude. It's just Regina's. It's not a big secret or anything.

I'm pretty sure he got it from my anyways.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    New York pizza?

BAH! Bah I say!

Chicago Style Deep Dish is obviously the superior pizza. It doesn't count as a good pizza to me unless I will fucking choke to death if I don't chew it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Holy sprites, the imagery!

Cavil on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    I might as well relate this: years ago in high school we had an old student of our teacher come in to talk to use about China. Outside the string of "Do you guys eat dog/cat/frog/etc." from several students, it was still pretty informative and we heard a lot about how life went down there and how the schools were set up.

I was finally able to ask my question that went along the lines of, "What was the first thing you noticed about America that was very different from China?"

His response: "How fat you all are."

None of us were really surprised.

Wow, what an asshole.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Depends on the tone he used. Was he saying it condescendingly or just jarring?

Cavil on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    KMGor wrote:
    All shitty dough and hardly any toppings. Give me a woodfire pizza anyday.

As I said earlier, go to Manhattan or Brooklyn. Several of the places there have ovens which are actually illegal (coal, usually), but they're so old they're grandfathered in. And the pizza is the better for it.

The best New York pizza I've found is Garabaldi's, in Brooklyn Heights. Very nice pizza. I like Chicago-style as well. One of these days Shinto's going to take me to Boston's North End so I can see what "authentic" Boston-style pizza is supposed to be about.

Are you referring to Grimaldi's in Brookyln?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Poldy wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    One of these days Shinto's going to take me to Boston's North End so I can see what "authentic" Boston-style pizza is supposed to be about.

Dude. It's just Regina's. It's not a big secret or anything.

I'm pretty sure he got it from my anyways.

Regina's you say? I'll have to give it a shot.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    Depends on the tone he used. Was he saying it condescendingly or just jarring?
    He wasn't being condescending, really. He was kinda laughing when he said it and we all took it in good humor (most of us laughed). He also wasn't directing the comment at us, but rather it was a general impression he got while he stayed in the country. A lot of people know that America has more then a few overweight people (Americans included) and the class took it in stride.

Plus, I suppose it's possible his view of a "fat" person could differ from what we call a "fat" person.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    MasadaMasada Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I spent some time in Qatar working with a lot of people from different countries in the Mid East and the only bad thing I really ever heard them say about us was that we were Israel's puppet.

Masada on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Masada wrote:
    I spent some time in Qatar working with a lot of people from different countries in the Mid East and the only bad thing I really ever heard them say about us was that we were Israel's puppet.
    Was this before or during the Iraq occupation?

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    MasadaMasada Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    Masada wrote:
    Was this before or during the Iraq occupation?
    During. It was about two years ago so I'm sure opinions have changed to some extent.

Masada on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thorpe wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    thorpe wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    redx wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    I just really hate seeing the "you don't understand" defense over and over again.

ahh. I honestly didn't know it was common. It is a pretty natural response to living...

I'm doing it again. :)

I alway did identify with him in 16 candles.
    Nah, we're cool, red. My problem is hanging out with too many east-coast liberals who can't have a meaningful discussion about national policies without spending ten minutes on "we're not the south" caveats. I mean, once, YES, people need to know about the state's autonomy and different demographics and whatnot. But every goddamn time and it starts to wear on me.

Yes, but (and this isn't directed at you) it gets similarly tiresome to hear "THOSE OBESE AMERICANS AND THEIR SUVS AND STUPIDITY LAWL" all the time from people who know as little about the United States as I do about Australia.

International discussion of politics is frustrating, since it is all too often colored by national pride and bias.
    I'm down with that. I imagine it is far more frustrating, actually, because America is so omnipresent that everyone has an opinion, whereas outside southeast asia more people are willing to say "Australia? I dunno."

(I'm fully aware that the windmill I was tilting at was tangential to the thread at best, by the way. Stereotypes are horribly retarded. I think I once wrote a Limed post about it, actually).

Tynic, you seem to know what you're talking about... care to give me the name of a country that isn't actually racist? I'm not attacking you or anything, I'm genuinely interested...

There's like, that mile long country in Italy. Italians are usually pretty level.

And I'm not talking about the Vatican.

Heh, I was once told by an Italian that Africans couldn't do well in distance running because it took strategy not just strength.
    [on-topic edit]
    So I was visity Germany with a Chinese grad student and we were watching Leno one night. This was during the Lewinsky business so he spent just about the whole monologue mocking Clinton. Afterwards this student told me he was sure that they didn't air that show in the US. I tried to explain that with the 1st amendment and US libel law that the president was precisely the person you could mock with the least fear of legal consequences. Not sure I really convinced him. Of course with McCain Feingold I might have to modify that statement now.

On the same trip they had "American" pizza in the grocery store. It had corn kernels on it. :D

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)