As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

John Edwards runs for president. Surprised?

2»

• Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm still hoping the Al Gore gives it another round.

Ethan Smith on
  • Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    LOL I thought this post was referring to John Edward
    JohnEdward_Welcome.jpg

Locust76 on
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dyscord wrote:
    *Has anyone ever read Obama's book? I haven't, and I'm sort of curious.

I got it for christmas and have almost finished it. You can really get the cliffs' notes version for free in under an hour by watching his most recent charlie rose interview on google video, completed just around the time the book came out. All the book adds is a bit more policy detail and a lot of personal background (just a little too much, in my opinion.) There are not a lot of concrete, detailed policies laid out, but then I agree with the point of view that it's a more successful strategy to have a vision and then present policy details late in the election game rather than vice versa. You don't want to present much to attack until you've strongly established yourself in the public consciousness.

Basically what I got out of the first 4/5ths of the book is that Obama talks and thinks like a gen xer instead of an image-conscious boomer. You can expect him to appoint smart advisers and listen to them, and make pragmatic decisions with an understanding that there are no perfect, uncomplicated decisions. Other than that he talks a fairly standard liberal line, but does a good job justifying each position and sounding like a moderate. Expand EITC, raise minimum wage, easier unionization, market-driven universal health care, retraining, free trade (can't go protectionist in the lead position). Large government commitment to solving energy crisis, more money for teachers, mild competitive teaching mechanisms, more money for poor college students, more money for research. End republican tax cuts, enact 1% bonus big oil company tax, close corporate loopholes, shrink a few big government programs that don't work well to pay for these programs. Force the pentagon to develop an army designed to pacify brushfire conflicts today, rather than focusing on some future war with China. More soft power/multilateral approaches, no absolutist thinking, but at the same time not realpolitik (i.e. fucking over the rest of the world for U.S. interests), and a recognition that military force is sometimes necessary and we need more peacekeepers in failed states.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    That man has a teflon face.

tynic on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Locust76 wrote:
    pic

Biggest Douche in the Universe Award winner?

Al_wat on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    mcc wrote:
    US Senator Joe Biden (D-Delaware)
    Former US Senator John Edwards (D-North Carolina)
    Former US Senator Mike Gravel (D-Virginia)
    Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio)
    Governor Bill Richardson (D-New Mexico)
    Governor Tom Vilsack (D-Iowa)
    So he's a frontrunner among a list containing the guy who wants to make a "Department of Peace", and a bunch of no-name generic-faces.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    aside from the grandiosity of the idea, is there anything wrong with wanting to establish a department of peace?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    aside from the grandiosity of the idea, is there anything wrong with wanting to establish a department of peace?
    What would it's purpose be and why couldn't it just fall under the Department of State?

Couscous on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    What would it's purpose be and why couldn't it just fall under the Department of State?
    Plus it should be pointed out that he wanted it to replace the Department of Defense

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    Plus it should be pointed out that he wanted it to replace the Department of Defense
    Maybe he read 1984 and thought it would be a good idea to name a department the opposite of what it actually does.

Couscous on
  • joshuazjoshuaz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Maybe he read 1984 and thought it would be a good idea to name a department the opposite of what it actually does.

According to wikipedia, the idea for a department of peace traces back to George Washington. link

His proposal does, at first glance, ring hollow. It doesn't make me want to go out and vote for him, but I won't hold it against the guy.

joshuaz on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Yeah let's be fair though and point out that the phrase "National Defense" for "warmaking capability" is a newspeak euphamism of the highest order already, and that the DoD was, before 1947, the "Department of War".

It was also briefly the "National Military Establishment" but the acronym NME was unfortunate, and this led to the name change to DoD.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Yeah let's be fair though and point out that the phrase "National Defense" for "warmaking capability" is a newspeak euphamism of the highest order already, and that the DoD was, before 1947, the "Department of War".

It was also briefly the "National Military Establishment" but the acronym NME was unfortunate, and this led to the name change to DoD.

That's probably the single most amusing factoid about our government I've ever heard. Thank you.

HappylilElf on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Anyone else remember Operation Iraqi Liberation?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    WHAT'S THAT SPELL

mcc on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    At least they didn't name it Securing Helpful Iraqis That Squash Tyranny Or Roving Murderers.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Let's make a Department of Feelin' Fine while we're at it.

I want to be Secretary of Partyin' Down.

Yar on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Al_wat wrote:
    Locust76 wrote:
    pic

Biggest Douche in the Universe Award winner?

It could've been a fun campaign. He could claim he was getting support from Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, both Roosevelts, and Kennedy. But Nixon? Really likes the other guy.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Does anybody know anything about Richardson?

I've heard some decent stuff, but I live nowhere near New Mexico.

Squirrelmob on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006

I grew up in New Mexico. Bill Richardson has always been a bit of a showhorse and not extraordinary in terms of policy or anything. On the other hand, he's not actually bad or anything and has been a basically competant governor. He's actually from Chicago or Minneapolis IIRC, so if he starts going on about "Nuevo Mexico the land of my people" take it with a grain of salt.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Irond Will wrote:

I grew up in New Mexico. Bill Richardson has always been a bit of a showhorse and not extraordinary in terms of policy or anything. On the other hand, he's not actually bad or anything and has been a basically competant governor. He's actually from Chicago or Minneapolis IIRC, so if he starts going on about "Nuevo Mexico the land of my people" take it with a grain of salt.
    If he were the candidate-from-the-wilderness that we always wind up with, I think he'd have a real shot. He is a governor, so he's got that going for him. He'd have the Hispanic vote locked up unless he does something stupid (he may be Chicago or Minneapolis, but it's not like he'd be going up against anyone Hispanic). New Mexico's a swing state, and he'd be very likely to siphon off Arizona as well given that we saw it turn significantly bluer last month.

And I haven't found any skeletons in his closet that would be deal-breakers, so... yeah, he could win.

As for if he's actually a decent politician, I'd have to defer to Irond Will here.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    And I haven't found any skeletons in his closet that would be deal-breakers, so... yeah, he could win.

Wasn't there some minor hubbub about Richardson having some responsibility back during the Los Alamos nuclear secrets thing? I didn't pay very close attention to that.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

A couple more points about Richardson:

- Some buzz that he'll try to position himself as the "energy candidate" kind like how edwards is trying to be the poverty candidate. Not sure if that's a good idea or will actually happen.
    - Unlike other governors, has significant foreign (U.S. Ambassador to UN) and federal experience (energy secretary) under Clinton, as well as 14 years in the house.
    - Hispanic background might help with new swing states like CO, NV, AZ and of course should guarantee NM.
    - Whispers that there are some Clintonian indescretions, but not as bad as Clinton, and some unscripted foot-in-the-mouth disease, but no gaffes as bad as Dean or Kerry.

I haven't seen enough to have a solid opinion, personally. He would certainly be an interesting pick for VP if the presidential candidate isn't a minority.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I saw ol' John at a campaign rally today. He seems like a pretty talented orator and he definately said some things that needed to be said - how Bush is an incompetent d-bag, how we need change, poverty is cripping us as a nation, we're fucked if we don't do anything about global warming, and so on. I'm a pretty cynical guy but I definately had few mental "hallelujahs" and "right on, brothers."

I dunno if he's electable but he is a charmer.

Casual Eddy on
    edited December 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

If he were the candidate-from-the-wilderness that we always wind up with, I think he'd have a real shot. He is a governor, so he's got that going for him. He'd have the Hispanic vote locked up unless he does something stupid (he may be Chicago or Minneapolis, but it's not like he'd be going up against anyone Hispanic). New Mexico's a swing state, and he'd be very likely to siphon off Arizona as well given that we saw it turn significantly bluer last month.

As for if he's actually a decent politician, I'd have to defer to Irond Will here.

Basically, I'm personally rather underwhelmed with him, in spite of having met him and having his as one of my Reps for many years (he was a NM Rep prior to becoming governor). He hasn't done anything especially stupid, but he also hasn't been especially inspiring, and New Mexico has never been a model state in terms of its performance.

To my knowledge, he's never been especially involved in Los Alamos labs' operation (Bingaman and Dominici both played strong roles in the Labs' welfare and solvency, but Richardson never really stood out). It would seem kind of stupid for him to position himself as an energy candidate, given that he's never really been big on energy or science issues, but I guess it's mostly marketing anyhow.

I doubt he'd pull any state other than New Mexico. And New Mexico is only 5 electoral votes, and shouldn't be a terribly hard pickup for Dems in general.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing Richardson as a serious candidate. He's kind of a toady. I like Edwards, Obama, and hell basically all the other Dem candidates better than I like Richardson. BUt I'd still vote for him in the general if he won the primary.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd personally like to see Wes Clark on a ticket, to be honest.

siliconenhanced on
    edited January 2007
    I don't think Wesley Clark is really running for president. I think he's angling for a spot on the cabinet of whichever hypothetical Democratic ticket might win the election.

I mean, you do have to admit it would be a bit odd to nominate someone for president who'd never been elected to any office. But giving him Colin Powell's old job or something would make perfect sense.

mcc on
  • SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think Wes Clark could fill a couple possible cabinet positions (Sec. Defense and State coming to mind first), but he could also anchor a ticket by being a VP candidate.

I think he's a good assest to any campaign though.

Squirrelmob on
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BYAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!

Mitsuhide on
    edited January 2007
    Mitsuhide wrote:
    BYAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!
    BWAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

mcc on