As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What makes a game good is the graphics - NSF56K

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Having not played the game, this is only based on what I've picked up from discussions and the like, but isn't it set in some imagined dream-world inside Chopin's head as he lay in bed dying?
    So basically, probably not a lot to do with the man himself aside from featuring his music.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To quote Wikipedia:
    The game is presented in chapters and each main chapter is named after one of Chopin’s famous works (For example, the chapter ‘Revolution’ is named after the ‘Revolutionary Etude’). The plot of the game follows two distinct narrative strands; the first, and main narrative, is the story of the fictional world that Chopin is experiencing while on his death bed. The other narrative provides historical information on Chopin’s life that is considered relevant to current plot developments in the fictional world and is displayed at key points during the course of the game. This narrative is accompanied by a rendition of the piece the chapter draws inspiration from.

It really is a great RPG and, although the sales were nothing spectacular, my hope is that we see more of the same on the 360.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    PompaPompa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    couple more from the ps2 era

Herdy Gerdy
    07el.jpg
    herdy-gerdy-2.jpg

Mark of Kri
    kri.jpg
    markofkri.jpg
    99808_full.jpg

both have a real nice use of cartoon / Disney styles

Pompa on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    qEKEtrQf7D-lEGRtioKpeIM063dG0AB0

BTW Fake, in case you hadn't guessed right away.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    lucasindkshit5ftl2.jpg

There are a lot of little details in this game that make it awesome. (I just love this shot)

Pemulis on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kind of obvious it's a fake when they spell "technology" incorrectly.

Brolo on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't find a decent shot, but Giants:citizen kabuto looked amazing at the time.

Plus, y'know, boobs.

I remember playing the demo but I could never find the actual game itself in a store. Still wish I could find it because good lord did I have fun with that demo.

Twas awesome in teh extreme, though i did play it when I was but a young'un, and Didn't really "get" games- I'd just tool around on the first level or two... Never completed a game. Giants was really damn complex, and so a fair bit of it escaped me. What I could wrap my head around was purest badass though.

I've never seen anyone mention it on this board though, so I assume it must've been really rare.

You just reminded me of MDK 2.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What with the sequel on its way and looking every bit as tasty, let's have a look at some real eye candy (geddit?)

Spoilered for the hueg.
    993_0003.jpg

993_0004.jpg

993_0002.jpg

Yum.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    sacrifice_screen018.jpg

sacrifice_screen003.jpg

sacrifice_screen002.jpg

sacrifice_screen004.jpg

Oh Sacrifice fuck yes

I think this was the first game I owned that had built-in AA in it.

Brolo on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sacrifice always looked so interesting, yet I didn't dare purchasing it.

Aldo on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    A few minutes later I was killed by a sniper because I was busy staring at a wet rock.
    oh the irony!!!!!!!!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

It actually looks good and plays really well, even today. It's got some great production values. The gameplay is actually pretty unique as well, it's an interesting mix of RPG and strategy, and the mission structure is actually great for replayability.

Brolo on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rolo wrote: »

It actually looks good and plays really well, even today. It's got some great production values. The gameplay is actually pretty unique as well, it's an interesting mix of RPG and strategy, and the mission structure is actually great for replayability.

Is there a demo available somewhere? I was scared by Psychonauts as well, but then I played the demo on Steam and now I'm a believer.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rolo wrote: »

Is there a demo available somewhere? I was scared by Psychonauts as well, but then I played the demo on Steam and now I'm a believer.

http://www.fileplanet.com/52510/50000/fileinfo/Sacrifice-Demo

Brolo on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Great art style?

we-love-katamari-4-784168.jpg

That plus fantastic music = sex.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sacrifice will always look good.

Now, who still hasn't hunted this down and bought it? Come on, we need to get the sacrifice community back on it's feet :o

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So many good games mentioned, now my turn.

Soul Reaver games. Art direction was amazing in all of them. That and the story was wonderful in my opinion.
    11444_full.jpg

Also there was a 2D game that hasn't been mentioned yet. I can't remember the details but I remember thinking it was beautiful, I believe it was a game towards the end of a gen of console, maybe Playstation or Supernintendo. I believe it might have been playstation. Had "eternal" or "dark" or something in the title possibly. I do remember it was a dark game and you played as a young boy or something I think I recall... maybe got older throughout the game? I think the theme revolved around nightmares or shadows or some such. Just remember the visuals being incredible.
    Edit: The limbo game actually kinda reminded me of it.

And geeze I loved Giants: Citizen Kabuto, got it for free 7 years back when I built my computer.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've had the Mac version of Sacrifice since it was released, but I never got past the tutorial.

It stares at me from the CD wallpaper, with it's Shiny logo, taunting me.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    FFIII/VI was the most amazing screenshot I've ever seen when there was a preview shot of it in Nintendo Power about 15 years ago. (Sabin crossing a bridge connecting two cliffs)

And when it finally came out it was indeed the best looking console game ever made.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Spoilered for h-scroll rapage -
    dreamfall_5.jpg

Dreamfall's art direction is amazing... I can't find any really good pictures though.

928519_20060823_screen009.jpg

I loved all of the graphics, but the Twilight Realm is really beautiful.

super_mario_galaxy_10.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy is just awesome.

e3-red-steel-screens-20060501034051480.jpg

Red Steel is still one of the best looking games on the Wii.

gamescrn_morrowind_03-B.jpg

What Oblivion doesn't have, Morrowind does. And vice versa. Imagine Morrowind the game using the Oblivion engine!

And now for something completely different. Back in 1982, when the Commodore 64 was released, games looked like this -

1.jpg

Eleven years later, Apex Software used the C64 to create the following -

mayhem_in_monsterland_08.gif

mayhem_in_monsterland_06.gif

mayhem_in_monsterland_03.gif

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So many good games mentioned, now my turn.

Soul Reaver games. Art direction was amazing in all of them. That and the story was wonderful in my opinion.
    11444_full.jpg
    Oh jeez. Any time in SR2, or to a lesser degree Defiance, when Raziel was exploring a forge and began to look at the murals drawn by the ancients. Those were so beautiful yet haunting.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »

Oh man... you made my day, I've been trying to find out what that game was called forever now. Too bad there's barely any pics online.

frame_lead.php?pid=63011&img=1#next <---totally don't do it justice.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Someone posted Odin Sphere a couple pages back. Is that 2d? In either case, thats damn good looking.

I was going to post some Ogre Battle 64, but online screenshots are all low res.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Oh man... you made my day, I've been trying to find out what that game was called forever now. Too bad there's barely any pics online.

I've never played it, but I remember the ads for it. They had a really cool style, definitely one of those games I always wanted to try.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It was definitely a game with a lot of trial and error as I recall. Also I remember it being really short for a multiple disk playstation game. But I still remember really enjoying the style and gameplay while it lasted. Plus it had a really creepy feel to the whole game.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To quote Wikipedia:
    The game is presented in chapters and each main chapter is named after one of Chopin’s famous works (For example, the chapter ‘Revolution’ is named after the ‘Revolutionary Etude’). The plot of the game follows two distinct narrative strands; the first, and main narrative, is the story of the fictional world that Chopin is experiencing while on his death bed. The other narrative provides historical information on Chopin’s life that is considered relevant to current plot developments in the fictional world and is displayed at key points during the course of the game. This narrative is accompanied by a rendition of the piece the chapter draws inspiration from.

It really is a great RPG and, although the sales were nothing spectacular, my hope is that we see more of the same on the 360.

That is such great news. Chopin is one of my favorites by far. I have got to find a way to play this now.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, it had a really great art style and everything, but Eternal Sonata is one of the most boring damn games I've ever played. Plot was pure shit and you were always overpowered, making battles more of an annoyance than a challenge.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, it had a really great art style and everything, but Eternal Sonata is one of the most boring damn games I've ever played. Plot was pure shit and you were always overpowered, making battles more of an annoyance than a challenge.

Do you generally feel that way about RPGs, though? I like FF and all that but I know the plots are shit. I just enjoy the battle mechanics.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I've never played it, but I remember the ads for it. They had a really cool style, definitely one of those games I always wanted to try.

I watched a lets play of that. It's kind of a D: game when you see the main character (a like 10 year old boy) get his neck snapped or back crunched.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A lot of the best games in my collection don't have screenshots large enough on the intertubes to show their true glory. (I'm looking at you, Shogo Mobile Armor Division)

Tav on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »

Do you generally feel that way about RPGs, though? I like FF and all that but I know the plots are shit. I just enjoy the battle mechanics.

FF games generally have likable characters, which puts them above most (all) other jrpgs.

Sure, the plots aren't much, but the games aren't really about them, its about having a party of kickass characters, fighting epic monsters, and having rocking tunes.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    A lot of the best games in my collection don't have screenshots large enough on the intertubes to show their true glory. (I'm looking at you, Shogo Mobile Armor Division)

Ohh, GiS proved me wrong. Sanitarium was one of the most creepy, atmospheric games ever made. I was lucky enough to play it when I was younger, but since then I've not played it. I've been meaning to go back and play it, but my time has been limited.

sanitarium2.jpg

Tav on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh man, I've wanted this game to work for so long.

I bought the original discs when I was in the US, but they've never seemed to work properly. The install tries to copy over a sanitarium.msc file, hangs and then fails.

Brolo on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Perhaps not the greatest still graphics, but awesome animation and physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPj_f72Nlbw

(Myth)

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Physics are something else, but if we're going to count them, Carmageddon 2 has an unrivaled damage model system. The cars bend, break, and split in 2 along various axises. Its not just down the center, either, you can get them to break at angles. The graphics themselves are shit by todays standards, but the damage model has yet to be surpassed in any commercial game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bring back isometric games I say.

Seriously. With all the modern flash and whizbang of hyper realistic 3d graphics make a game simplified isometric and polish the ever loving shit out of it.

Also:

(INGAME)
    11454681107.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-y_eCsYExk

Excluding the shitty music damn impressive.

I dont think people quite get just how much better Crysis is, graphically, than anything else out there. By a margin.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Bring back isometric games I say.

Seriously. With all the modern flash and whizbang of hyper realistic 3d graphics make a game simplified isometric and polish the ever loving shit out of it..

Isometric techincally refers to illusionary 3d. But there's some really, really good looking zoomed out isometric perspective true 3d games like Titan Quest and Silent Storm.

protip to video game developers: zooming out the camera makes the graphics better without having to bump map everything or BLOOOOOM it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    there's also this

581161701_c71fe51260_o.png

Y'know, even without Makoto and Chun Li, the first two iterations of SF3 were far, far prettier than Third Strike. The backgrounds, the presentation, everything just had more thought and effort put into it. I mean, Ibuki's TS stage was possibly the laziest background I've ever seen on a big-budget fighter.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I dont think people quite get just how much better Crysis is, graphically, than anything else out there. By a margin.

Well sure, it's easy enough to claim the title of "most polygons ever in a single environment" when nobody can even run it yet ;)

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten