As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fitness Thread v. 3.0

• sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So the age old question.

Lift before running, or run before lifting? Or does it depend on the desired results?

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2008
    lift first

Tube on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    sabyul wrote: »
    So the age old question.

Lift before running, or run before lifting? Or does it depend on the desired results?

it can change based on the desired result, but for most people lifting before running will provide better results. lifting when you're rested allows you to move more weight safely. it cuts down the odds of your muscles unexpectedly failing midrep and lowers the likelihood that you'll get sloppy just to finish the set. at the same time, cardio after lifting means you'll be running with your blood sugar already low, meaning you'll tap into fat reserves quicker, making your cardio more effective for weight loss.

this is based on the assumption that you are exercising to change your body composition. if, however, you are specifically training to increase your running speed / endurance / whatever, you'll want to run before you lift. in fact, in that case, you would probably be better off splitting your training into running days and lifting days.

the wook on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    So I made my own routine, am I missing anything important?
    Monday - Bench press, not sure what to call this one but it is like this, rear delt row, curls
    Wednesday - Curl, Dumbell kickback, wrist curls, feels like I should have something more in here but I am not sure what to add.
    Thursday - Lateral raise dumbell, pullups and I was thinking maybe bench press but I am not sure.

I do abs whenever I don't workout so I don't have to worry about that, and I run after each workout. I don't want to work out my legs at all so I purposely don't have anything for my legs.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2008
    work out your legs and back

that isn't optional

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    I have huge legs and want to slim them down, I have a 28 inch waist and my legs are...a lot bigger. It is a little bit fat and a lot of muscle. What back workouts should I do?

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2008
    rows, deadlifts, different varieties of pullup.

How "huge" are we talking here.

I mean are your quadriceps hanging over your knees or something

because if not, work your damn legs

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    Well just out of proportion I guess, I have a picture if you want to see it. I have tiny arms and huge legs.
    http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deerslayerez1.jpg

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2008
    ok let's see

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    your legs are not out of proportion and they are certainly not huge. Work your legs.

At the moment you're doing one compound exercise on a monday, none on wednesday, and one on thursday. You're doing more exercises for your arms than all of your other body parts put together. There's a program in the OP, follow it, or pick one from T-Nation or whatever and follow it. You don't have any "weak points" or for that matter "strengths", you need to work your whole body and do it properly. That means squats, deadlifts, pullups, rows, more squats, military presses and bench presses. You don't need wrist curls, you don't need any curls and they'll do you no good at all.

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    your legs are not out of proportion and they are certainly not huge. Work your legs.

At the moment you're doing one compound exercise on a monday, none on wednesday, and one on thursday. You're doing more exercises for your arms than all of your other body parts put together. There's a program in the OP, follow it, or pick one from T-Nation or whatever and follow it. You don't have any "weak points" or for that matter "strengths", you need to work your whole body and do it properly. That means squats, deadlifts, pullups, rows, more squats, military presses and bench presses. You don't need wrist curls, you don't need any curls and they'll do you no good at all.
    Well I want big arms, like my biceps, what gets those big?

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2008
    Read what I just wrote.

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    Alright I will just do Tube's Exercise Regime For Faggots.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2008
    Good lad. Work hard, eat well, rest well. Big arms follow a thick back and chest and strong legs.

Tube on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    squatting gets you chicks.

true story

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Honestly it sounds fun making up your own weight lifting plan, but it's always a dumb idea. Following a real one is so much effective.

shadowane on
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cheezy wrote: »
    So I'm a huge fatty (270 D:) who is going to start Tube's regimen tomorrow. Anything I should know before I start?

Cardio+diet are the most important factors in losing weight.

Katholic on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Katholic wrote: »
    Cheezy wrote: »
    So I'm a huge fatty (270 D:) who is going to start Tube's regimen tomorrow. Anything I should know before I start?

diet is the most important factor in losing weight.

cardio plays even less of a role than lifting

the wook on
    edited May 2008
    So I may be completely retarded but I could not find a place to do barbell deadlifts, the only place I saw was a raised wooden platform in front of a mirror with a barbell on it, I know that probably sounds like the spot but there were no weights to put on it. The only other weights were for the bench press which were all being used and there wasn't a really good place to put the weights on the bar anyways since it was just laying there.

Oh and my gym is pretty small since I live on a military base. Also before I get to it, how do I know which weights are for squats or a Standing Military Press?

Fizban140 on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is it better for toning to do a lot more reps at lower weight? I don't want to bulk up, I just want to lose fat and tone what little muscle I do have/will have after a few months of lifting.

Mai-Kero on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Look through this thread.

Tell me where someone has posted the following.

"Guys I accidently picked up a dumbell last week and now my arm is as large as my head! How do I get my arm skinny again!"

Blake T on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    Look through this thread.

Tell me where someone has posted the following.

"Guys I accidently picked up a dumbell last week and now my arm is as large as my head! How do I get my arm skinny again!"

This. Seriously, so many people tell me they don't want to lift because they're afraid to bulk up... as if its just that easy.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Is it better for toning to do a lot more reps at lower weight? I don't want to bulk up, I just want to lose fat and tone what little muscle I do have/will have after a few months of lifting.

Trust me, just lift relatively heavy, you won't put on much muscle unless you eat a bodybuilder's diet and follow a bodybuilder workout plan.

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Animelee wrote: »

Trust me, just lift relatively heavy, you won't put on much muscle unless you eat a bodybuilder's diet and follow a bodybuilder workout plan.

Cool.

So, due to insurance being extremely expensive among other things, I have no money.

Is it possible to eat cheaply and still get the good stuff like brown rice, whole wheat wraps, and lean chicken? I also kind of need to buy some weights (no gym close to my house) and a bike. Is it safe to spend $70 on a bike from Target, or is that a piece of shit that will break after a mile? $150? More?

Mai-Kero on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Animelee wrote: »
    Cool.

So, due to insurance being extremely expensive among other things, I have no money.

Is it possible to eat cheaply and still get the good stuff like brown rice, whole wheat wraps, and lean chicken? I also kind of need to buy some weights (no gym close to my house) and a bike. Is it safe to spend $70 on a bike from Target, or is that a piece of shit that will break after a mile? $150? More?
    If you like doing less work for the same/more gain, more muscle is a good thing.

Check thrift stores for cheap stationary bikes/weight benches.

Thanatos on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There was an interesting article in FHM recently (ground breaking journalism!) where a guy did a 6 week rotation of 'roids.

He got pretty fucking big very quickly, like +8kg in 6 weeks, but also: got in 2 fights, 2 run-ins with the law (one for shitting in a bush), back hair, random dong functionality, acne, a promotion, high blood pressure and lost his girlfriend.
    So he turned into brucie

noobert on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    noobert wrote: »
    There was an interesting article in FHM recently (ground breaking journalism!) where a guy did a 6 week rotation of 'roids.

He got pretty fucking big very quickly, like +8kg in 6 weeks, but also: got in 2 fights, 2 run-ins with the law (one for shitting in a bush), back hair, random dong functionality, acne, a promotion, high blood pressure and lost his girlfriend.
    So he turned into brucie

wait wait wait. He got a promotion?

DeShadowC on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    noobert wrote: »

So he turned into brucie

wait wait wait. He got a promotion?

Yeah, he put it down to the aggression steel resolve to win.

noobert on
    edited May 2008
    Sounds like a bunch of fucking horseshit to me. Roid rage my ass.

Tube on
  • MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    So I may be completely retarded but I could not find a place to do barbell deadlifts, the only place I saw was a raised wooden platform in front of a mirror with a barbell on it, I know that probably sounds like the spot but there were no weights to put on it. The only other weights were for the bench press which were all being used and there wasn't a really good place to put the weights on the bar anyways since it was just laying there.

Oh and my gym is pretty small since I live on a military base. Also before I get to it, how do I know which weights are for squats or a Standing Military Press?

Usually you move the weights around because people suck and never put them back where they should be. Just search for the ones you're looking for.

Now a good squat rack will let you do all three of those exercises you just need to move the hooks around. You can use the raised platform for deadlifts and row but I don't like it, I prefer touching the floor. Just make sure you are either using bumper plates (which you probably don't have) or your doing the deadlifts over a padded area off the floor. Also when starting out try and stack plates so the bar is more or less at the height it would be if you had 45 lbs plates on it, you want to be doing the same motion each time you lift. Of course My gym has those octagonal plates that don't roll, your mileage may vary.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
    edited May 2008
    Just use the floor to do deadlifts.

Tube on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've been thinking about what protein powder I take.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=100

This is my normal choice but I was wondering if anyone here has a preference to the other kinds, like Whey isolate instead? Or is that just getting into a level of detail that just isn't required for regular lifters?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Everyone should eat more sweet potatos, they have no right being as healthy as they are. Cheap, delicious, healthy, easy to cook, they're my new favorite food.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Everyone should eat more sweet potatos, they have no right being as healthy as they are. Cheap, delicious, healthy, easy to cook, they're my new favorite food.

They taste like mushy poo.

Katholic on
  • KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sounds like a bunch of fucking horseshit to me. Roid rage my ass.
    That's because it is.
    /facepalm for people that believe those roidragesmashanger articles.

Krikee on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's crazy. YOU'RE crazy!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's what my ex-wife said!

Muramasa18 on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Katholic wrote: »

They taste like mushy poo.
    I think it's better not to ask how you know what mushy poo tastes like...

Dalboz on
  • nonplussednonplussed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just did HIIT for the first time today and after driving home from the gym and as of typing this I'm still breathing heavy, my legs are wobbly as an AT-AT, and I just vomited up the some of the post-workout protein shake I downed.

FUCKING awesome.

nonplussed on
    Xbox GT: namplussed
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yesterday during my benchpress after doing about five reps of 135, I decided to move up to 145, did two sets of two, felt more like a max. I moved to 155 and did one rep, that's all I could do. I felt plenty sore after that and doing weighted dips. As long as i'm going higher I should expect my bench to go up, even with just one rep?

Sanius on
This discussion has been closed.