As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need a new gaming monitor.

• LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i still don't have mine, but i hear it's good, just not zomg.

LaCabra on
    edited May 2008
    Anyone got a BenQ yet? I can almost afford mine.

Seriously, someone lend me $39AUD.

LaCabra on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh, that reminds me, I need to get work to buy me one.

devoir on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I'm thinking of maybe getting a NEC 20WMGX2 LCD monitor on ebay or something. It should have an S-IPS panel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002319
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002320

But, the reviews on Newegg says that it suffers from color banding on gradients, and image persistence (on some faulty models it seems).

An S-IPS panel can have color banding? This thing retailed new for around 700 dollars when it first came out, so what gives? I heard that some Dell 2007WFP monitors had banding problems, too.

TM2 Rampage on
  • GumhovaGumhova Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I feel kinda stupid for asking but can I hook my 360/Wii up to this?
    I'm sure the information is staring me in the face but I don't see it...

Gumhova on
    misterdigger.png
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you'd need yourself one of these. otherwise no.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So today I got an HP w2007 monitor from Fry's to try out. It's 20 inches, widescreen, and is 1680x1050. It looks pretty neat, I guess, except black doesn't seem to be really black on this thing at all. The contrast ratio is 1000:1, though, huh.

Well, it seems like it's a TN panel, which is the worst in terms of picture and color quality, I've heard?

The darn thing's backlighting (I think?) is kind of uneven... the bottom is lighter than the top! Arggghhh!

Are you guys having this uneven lighting problem with your monitors? Maybe I should put up with a borked CRT and wait for LED-backlit LCDs to get cheaper (hah hah) or for SED to come out (hah hah ;_;).

I got the HPw2207 and it has a similar "problem" when the screen is all black, but honestly I barely notice it, and games look amazing so I don't complain.

What I regret is that I should have looked for a monitor with component inputs, I really wanted to try my wii in widescreen but with only dvi inputs its pretty complicated.

mantidor on
  • GumhovaGumhova Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ok, Here's another question.
    This is my setup.

I have a 360, Wii and PS2 hooked into a splitter.
    It has buttons on the top and I can switch between my systems at ease.
    This splitter has component out.

Is there a cord that is component to VGA that I could use here?

Is that just not possible or is it possible but with quality loss?

Gumhova on
    misterdigger.png
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gumhova wrote: »
    Ok, Here's another question.
    This is my setup.

I have a 360, Wii and PS2 hooked into a splitter.
    It has buttons on the top and I can switch between my systems at ease.
    This splitter has component out.

Is there a cord that is component to VGA that I could use here?

Is that just not possible or is it possible but with quality loss?

I don't think you'd lose any quality, but you'd have to spend a bit more of your monies

note that I don't know anyone who's tried this particular device, only that it advertises what you want to do.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Gumhova wrote: »
    I feel kinda stupid for asking but can I hook my 360/Wii up to this?
    I'm sure the information is staring me in the face but I don't see it...
    If you buy an XBox 360 VGA cable, you will be able to play your Xbox 360 on that.

TM2 Rampage on
    edited May 2008
    Uhoh. I just realized that I'm a bind.

My HP w2007 only offers two scaling options: "Fill to screen" and "Fill to aspect ratio."

So hopefully if I were to connect an Xbox 360 or PS3 to it, the 16:9 games I play should be at the proper aspect ratio on this 16:10 monitor, with black bars on the top and bottom. (D'oh, I've read a post on Hardforum saying that on a PS3 at least, the "Fill to aspect ratio" option does nothing and the image is stretched... crud...)

But anyway, how does playing a 16:9 game at 720p stretched out (although keeping the proper aspect ratio) look like on a 16:10 monitor? Is there blurring? Darn...

Well I think I still have time to return this thing to Fry's...

TM2 Rampage on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have an HP w2408 (I don't know how this will differ for your model. and with Fill to Aspect Ratio, it puts the little black bars on the top and bottom of the screen for my xbox 360 through VGA, and ps3 through HDMI>DVI.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    JWashke wrote: »
    I have an HP w2408 (I don't know how this will differ for your model. and with Fill to Aspect Ratio, it puts the little black bars on the top and bottom of the screen for my xbox 360 through VGA, and ps3 through HDMI>DVI.

Hmm, thanks. That would be ideal.

But, on Hardforum, there's a post in this thread http://75.126.99.102/showthread.php?t=1179531&page=27
    that says
    "I just bought this display and hooked it up to my Playstation 3. The image is however stretched out(ps3 only outputs resolution in 16:9 format) so that it fills the whole screen. Changing between fixed aspection ratio and stretch to fill the screen under menu doesnt affect anything. So obviously the pixel mapping doesnt work in 720p(it does work in other resolutions, but then, only from left to right)."

That makes me worried... I've already made a post in that thread asking for more info.
    Maybe there's some bug on the HP w2007. "Fit to aspect ratio" works for 4:3 games like Starcraft on my computer, though, so I know that this feature is not entirely broken.

TM2 Rampage on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah like I said I have the w2408 so take my advice with a grain of salt I guess, but the guy you quoted doesn't even mention which monitor he has, the 20 or 22, or what type of connection he is using. He could be using component with a VGA box or something crazy. I thought I read somewhere the pixel mapping only works with Digital connections, so only the DVI. Though it works on my 360 through VGA so I don't know haha.

He mentions that it doesn't support 720p, I'm not a huge tech guy so I could just be retarded, but I set my PS3 back to 720p and the pixel mapping still worked fine. I don't see how different resolutions would change anything.
    100_4535.jpg

I'm kind of rambling here, but honestly if your that worried maybe you should return it until you get the PS3 and can test it to make sure.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I went ahead and bought one of these when I got paid Friday. I've got to say, I'm really happy with it so far. It sucks a fat ball of duke for watching TV as of yet because I've not yet received the HD package from Comcast, but DVDs and 360 games look fucking phenomenal on it. It's a fairly sexy looking unit, as well:

tv1.jpg

tv3.jpg

tv2.jpg

I haven't yet gotten used to watching TV with big black bars on either side of the picture, though.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited May 2008
    Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud. So I just got a used but official Microsoft VGA cable for Xbox 360.

So uh, I hooked it up to my HP w2007. It seems that no matter what resolution I pick, and no matter what scaling option I choose on my monitor, it won't put black bars on the screen. At best, I have it filling up my entire monitor, and at worst (with some 4:3 and 5:4 resolutions and with "fill to aspect ratio" on) I have the image squished in the center with big bars on the left and right.
    It appears that the image is 16:9 stretched out to fill my 16:10 monitor.

So with the whole monitor filled up, I put my Ratatouille DVD into my 360. It has a couple image calibration patterns on it. One is this dinner plate that's supposed to be a perfect circle, but the plate is taller than it is wide.

So Jwashke, you're sure your 360 displays with black bars on the top and bottom (in the dashboard and in widescreen games) for your monitor? What resolution do you have it set at, and which scaling option is your monitor set at?

Maybe the scaling thingie in my monitor just isn't as sophisticated as the other models...

TM2 Rampage on
    edited May 2008
    I'm picking up my monitor this evening and blaming you guys if it sucks

fair warning

LaCabra on
    edited May 2008
    Are there any 1680x1050 monitors that support correct aspect scaling? It appears that the HP w2007 and HP w2207 will not keep the correct aspect ratio when connected to an Xbox 360 or PS3, even though the HP w2207 supposedly has a 1:1 pixel mapping option (according to a post on a forum found via Google).

The HP w2408 does scale properly, though... but it's 1920x1200... not sure if that somehow causes the scaling to be correct.

The reason I'd like a 1680x1050 monitor is because it's cheaper, and so that my computer won't have to chug through games running at 1920x1200.

TM2 Rampage on
    edited May 2008
    This monitor is fucking awesome as it turns out. I'm postin' and my silly woman is watching The Devil Wears Prada at the same time! Woo!

LaCabra on
    edited May 2008
    LaCabra, are you planning on hooking an Xbox 360 or PS3 to that?

TM2 Rampage on
    edited May 2008
    Maybe a 360 at some point but very possibly not.

LaCabra on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did you end up going with this? I've been considering it.

SithDrummer on
    edited May 2008
    I did, yes. I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest 24" on the market but it's pretty great. I'm all, "Wow".

I tried to take a picture but my camera's being a cock.

LaCabra on
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Maybe a 360 at some point but very possibly not.

I would almost ask if you would hook up your 360 to it

I am really interested in how it would be

It's the PC monitor I am looking at

Lothars on
    edited May 2008
    I don't have a 360, and I'm not sure I'll get one. If I did get one I'd certainly be hooking it up to this. If you buy me a 360 I would be glad to let you know how it goes.

LaCabra on
    edited May 2008
    So I made a thread here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032548598#post1032548598

And they recommended a Dell SP2208WFP (1680x1050). Supposedly it will scale 360 and PS3 images correctly...

EDIT: Seems like it has 1:1 pixel mapping, 4:3, 16:9, and fill modes according to this http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/SP2208/en/ug/operate.htm#Using%20the%20OSD

TM2 Rampage on
    edited May 2008
    Does anyone have a Dell 2007WFP and would like to comment? Does it scale properly? I heard that there's color banding, but in later revisions the "Desktop mode" of the monitor does not have color banding or it has less color banding... Could you use a 360 or PS3 on that in Desktop mode with it still scaling properly?

EDIT: Nevermind seems like 2007WFP has scaling problems over DVI http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=60974

TM2 Rampage on
    edited May 2008
    Seriously, just get this thing. It is epic.

LaCabra on
  • SpiralStairsSpiralStairs Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    post some pictures already, i'm a gnat's foreskin away from just clicking accept on the online checkout.

the lack of food for a few weeks is the only thing stopping me. GIVE ME THE PUSH.

SpiralStairs on
    edited May 2008
    So uh, how does 720p material look like enlarged out to fit a 1680x1050 LCD screen (while still maintaining aspect ratio)

VS.

720p material on a natively 720p LCD TV (if those even exist... if there are those other than 13something x 768 or something...)??

EDIT: Well you see I'm planning on playing Metal Gear Solid 4 for Playstation 3 and I think that game renders natively at 720p.

TM2 Rampage on
    edited May 2008
    I just assumed "not so good" and got the 24inch. The cheapest on the market, and it is nifty as hell.

I have managed to get one photo with my retarded fucking camera.

dootbig.jpg

LaCabra on
    edited May 2008
    LaCabra, does that BenQ have a glossy screen or a matte screen?

Also, somebody please answer my question about upscaling vs. native res.

TM2 Rampage on
    edited May 2008
    From memory it's a matte screen. It's basically the budget console gaming monitor of choice. No real compromises in terms of features, basically up to monitors which are 1.5x-1.8x the price.

devoir on
    edited May 2008
    Matte, you can pay a bit more for a similar one that's glossy but personally I hate glossy. Getting rid of reflections was one of the best things about moving past CRTs.

LaCabra on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    All right, well after buying a 360 and hooking it up to my SDTV, I've been wanting something more to play it on. I've been looking on this forum, and a couple others, and I think the BenQ V2400W is the best 24" monitor for less than $500. Is this my best option?

I'm terrified of making a mistake. I tried looking at reviews, but apparently all monitors under $1000 suck ass. Or something.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
    edited May 2008
    Pretty much, Beck. I've asked on multiple forums, looked at a bunch of different guides, many, many reviews and comparisons, feature charts, etc and it looks to be hands down the best value for money in its price division (AUD$400-$800). If you haven't already, take a look at the links from my posts earlier in the thread, not all of my research is linked there, but a bunch of fairly in-depth stuff that lead me to seriously look at it is linked.

devoir on
    edited May 2008
    I dunno, what differences are there between the G2400W and the V2400W? 'Cause I can totally vouch for the former.

LaCabra on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty sure the V2400W has the same panel as the G2400W, so it should look pretty much exactly the same LaCabra. It's just thinner with a better stand.
    edit: upon further investigation it looks like they are the same panel, so your paying roughly 100$ extra for a slim design..not worth it imo

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited June 2008
    Definitely not, this is like two centimetres thick.

LaCabra on
    edited June 2008
    Ah, I didn't notice that letter change, my bad.

devoir on