As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Memory Standard? Does it matter?

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Basically I'm building a new PC and decided to go with an Intel Processor/Mobo. Heres the Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813128086

Great reviews, looks good, but the memory standard is PC1200 and to be honest I don't see many options available for it anywhere and we don't even carry it at work (I work at an office supply store...we don't carry much memory but we carry what most people use) so I'm wondering if that's going to be an issue with it at all. And to be honest I have no clue what memory standard means. So does it really matter? Thanks in advance.

Bucketman on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    With a 1066 MHz (266 MHz FSB) chip, the minimum memory speed is PC2-4200 (DDR2-533). If you're running newer Intel chips at 1333 MHz (333 MHz FSB), then that would be PC2-5300 (DDR2-667). That's it. You don't necessarily need any higher than those baselines. Higher speed chips can give you some marginal benefits (moreso if you're overclocking), but DDR2-1200 (PC2-9600) is straight-up ridiculous. $100 for a 1GB kit, are you fucking kidding me?

Zxerol on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. So would that mean that for that board I HAD to get the PC1200 though? I fell dumb asking this, but I haven't built a PC in about 3 years and that one came as a bare bones so a lot of the components were there already.

Bucketman on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Negative. You can plug in any memory from el-cheapo DDR2-667 on up.

The board's tested/supported memory list is here in case you're interested. Note that the list, of course, is by no means comprehensive -- these are merely the ones that the vendor tested to work.

(As a side note: the board doesn't even natively support DDR2-1200 without overclocking. So yeah, cheap memory is perfectly fine.)

Zxerol on