As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

• DisDis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Same.
    I deleted silly requiem too.
    Too laggy atm.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guys!

http://eng.pristontale.com/

I decided to check where Priston Tale, my favorite formerly free MMO has been at, and starting YESTERDAY it went to free play.

I highly recommend the game to people that are into the free MMO thing. It was my first, favorite, and always had a certain addicting charm to it. Get going people!

UnknownSaint on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guys!

http://eng.pristontale.com/

I decided to check where Priston Tale, my favorite formerly free MMO has been at, and starting YESTERDAY it went to free play.

I highly recommend the game to people that are into the free MMO thing. It was my first, favorite, and always had a certain addicting charm to it. Get going people!
    o_O I've had that game on the list for a while, I thought it was F2P for ages?

Also: what puts the game above the average grind MMO?

Aldo on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I remember priston tale from WAAAAY back. That game is old

Asamof the Horrible on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I do think its been free for... more then half a year at least, they did that when they came out with Priston Tale 2. From the looks of the screenshots though the art style makes me go D: since its closer to a Lineage 2 look then what the original had. I do remember Priston Tale being awesome though, it was free up until Level 30 or something back then.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, free until level 30 then p2p was what I considered p2p, basically. It's totally free as of a few days ago. A lot of these games seem to be going for the item shop method to make money. Can't really blame 'em, I know quite a few L2 private servers that make thousands a month from donations.

As far as the game went, I'm not quite sure why I liked it so much. It really is quite an old game but the grind wasn't too bad, the classes were fun and distinct, and the atmosphere of the areas was just very good. Was very fun to explore. Could just be the nostalgia talking though.

Edit - Yeah, very well could have been the nostalgia. Logged in, saw maybe one person in one of the main towns. Then got stuck and had to re-make my character.

UnknownSaint on
    edited May 2008
    Estiah
    Penny Arcade thread
    Free to play
    In browser MMORPG which recently started. The site looks very slick and it seems to offer a sort of M:tG sort of gameplay where your actions are determined by the cards you play. Lezard says you can enjoy this game on as little as 10 minutes per day.

Aldo on
  • XanathusXanathus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Neosteam just entered open beta and I'm going to play that instead of Requiem for now because my laptop can't handle the latter. Also if you register at www.mmosite.com they're giving out a "newbie pack" per account for 1 Neosteam character.

Xanathus on
    edited May 2008
    I think it's pretty amazing that two people pointed out that a game went to open beta. It kind of shows that this list is actually read by others. :)

Thanks Xanathus and James.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    no I don't actually care about the list

I just want people to play neosteam with me

until I get bored of it

Xanathus on
    edited May 2008
    I had it installed a few weeks ago waiting for OB to hit.

Then I had to baleet it to make room on my hard drive.

So sowwy.

UnknownSaint on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Xanathus wrote: »
    no I don't actually care about the list
    I just want people to play neosteam with me
    until I get bored of it
    I'd play it, if it didn't randomly hardlock my system. :|

Glal on
    edited May 2008
    Actually I can't recommend anyone to play it in good conscience. It's just something to waste 10~20 minutes of your life once in awhile. It's decent enough for a free MMO but the lack of polish (e.g. bad synchronization during movement and attacks) won't get you (me) addicted.

Xanathus on
    edited May 2008
    To add, I second Estiah, which has its own thread and was mentioned a few posts back. Pretty damn nifty for a browser game, and it has boatloads of depth when you get into higher levels.

UnknownSaint on
    edited May 2008
    Oh sweet, I just received a closed beta key for Florensia. Impressions in 4 hours.

edit: Ah I didn't read the email properly, the beta hasn't started yet.

Xanathus on
    edited May 2008
    Your link is all screwy.

UnknownSaint on
    edited May 2008
    I received a mail from Aeria Games (because I once played one game of them decades ago :| ) and it contained a lot of information about the games they are currently hosting, these were the ones that caught my attention. I already have Twelve Sky on the list, so I did not bother checking on that game again.

There were two things that impressed me with all these websites: (1) No Engrish and (2) all sites had pretty much the same lay-out, making it very easy for me to see what made them special. Really amazing.

Shaiya
    Free to play
    Serious looking game with asdw-support and a strong support for PvP. The game comes with 4 difficulties ranging from "easy" with little risk for little reward to "ultimate" with the ultimate (death of character unless rezzed within 3 minutes) risk for the highest rewards. The game seems to be for the avid gamer who doesn't mind flexing his/her e-muscles.

Last Chaos
    Free to play
    Beautiful looking MMO, very crisp graphics offering a "fast paced" combat system. I tried looking for the control scheme, but I couldn't find any, this usually means that it is a clicking-fest. Classes seem to be different enough from each other, offering all you expect from an MMO.

Project Torque
    Free to play
    a MMO racing game with very shiny graphics. Drive some races, raise to e-fame and get the coolest car, basically. No idea how much fun the game actually is, but the concept of a persistent world plus cars is interesting enough. It reminds me of the other "car"-mmo's that got discontinued, maybe the F2P format allows it a longer lifetime.

Richman Online
    Free to play
    Currently in closed beta - release in June
    A sort of MMO Monopoly. Providing both PvP and PvE this casual MMO will be very interesting. I for one am curious how this will turn out.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    Hm, I checked freetoplay.org to see what it was about. Their top20 has some games I've never heard about, I'll check them out to see if they are actually games first.

The second thing I noticed is that they offer money for reviews. If you want to earn 15$ and have paypal this might be interesting. I don't have paypal and if I'm going to write reviews it will be for my own list, but I thought I'd let y'all know.

Looking over the site makes me believe there actually is room on the market for a website with the information from this thread; mmorpg.com treats F2P mmo's as the redheaded stepchild and skimming over f2p.org makes it look anything /but/ independent and does not dare to be overly critical. The strong focus on user-reviews also leads to an unbalanced situation where only the people who care about a game bother writing a review about it.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    Right, an extended lunch break used wisely....

Mo Siang Online
    Free to play
    A Chinese MMO with very fast combat and very pretty spell effects. The website and game made me very confused, everything seems to move at 2x speed or something. The client is only 450MB so I guess that is nice.

Florensia
    Almost hitting closed beta
    A cutesy looking Japanese MMO, I tried looking for something that would make this game special, but other than the decent website and lack of Engrish it looks like a dime in a dozen. However! No Engrish and no retarded website already make this a promising title!

Ghost Online
    Open Beta
    Sidescrolling 2D fast paced grind MMO from Korea. If you dig Maple Story you probably dig this as well. For everyone else: best to protect your sanity.

Scions of Fate
    Free to Play
    A popular cutesy MMO from Asia. The game started off as a comic and then they made a MMO out of that (...let us all hope this does not become the trend in Hollywood, Pirates o/t Carribean Online was already a painful experience). The game seems to pretty standard MMO fair, but I'd love to hear more about it from anyone who has played it.

Seal Online
    Free to Play
    A MMO based around clubbing baby seals!
    ....Juuuust kidding.
    It's an old point 'n' click MMO from Japan. It was popular there years ago and now there is an international version for those daring individuals.

And an In Memoriam:

Ran Online/ Official site.

Nubile schoolgirls grow old.

Aldo on
  • KetsumKetsum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Update on Aeronauts, once you crawl your way to lvl 8 things get alot better... the other planes open up and you gain quiet alot more for fights... I'm gaining at least 600xp and 500gold per battle... if I win and thats vs AI... rewards are better if you manage to beat humans... though it's a damn side tougher too.

Anyway I've been playing Trackmania nations forever... while it's not really a MMO it is quite multiplayer I've been in races with 40+ people... and it keeps a ranking for you country and the world... it's free, it's only 500ish MB and it's amazingly fun considering it's a very simple game.

race cars around crazy tracks with jumps and loops basicaly...

oh and I don't know how they've managed it but lag is non-existant... I was playing on a server in france with at least 38 people... helps that the other cars are just a ghost though... you can't crash into them they just show up so you can see what others are doing ... hard to explain...

if your bored and waiting for the next beta I'd recomend grabing trackmania... loads of fun.

Ketsum
    on a side note I own a copy of Age of Conan collectors box and I can't play it cause I share a shity net connection with my housemate and he won't let me load AoC :( cause it'll eat all this download... which it will but grrrr

Ketsum on
    edited May 2008
    Trackmania has a lot of lag, it just doesn't affect your car. :P You download the track, race your rounds on it and that information gets sent to the server where it gets distributed to all other players so they see your car. Depending on how fast that server is they will see you in -almost- real time or clipping seconds behind.

It's a very good concept, overall.

I'm not going to add it to the MMO list, though, because everything is done on little servers and it is not more "massive" than Battle.net.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    Rohan Online which I mentioned a few pages back is entering open beta today. You can get the client from the website but I had trouble with the ActiveX plugin they require you to use to download the client so as an alternative you can get the client from any of the common MMO sites which host the older closed beta client (mmosite.com, gameborder.com, etc).

Xanathus on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Apparently that Perfect World game will be entering open beta soon, I wonder if it is any different now.

Seg on
    edited May 2008
    Wasn't it open beta before?

Glal on
    edited May 2008
    They let everyone in, isn't that the definition of open beta?

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You are right, I misread the adverts I had seen over on that Allan web comic, they actually started full release today.

Seg on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm downloading Dream Of Mirrors to play, anyone feel like joining me?

Johannen on
  • LostLost Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I played DOMO for a while, but I got bored with it quickly.

I started playing the pre-open Beta of Kickoff (a soccer MMO?) from gamengame

http://kickoff.gamengame.com

It's a tad bit laggy and the controls are a bit clunky and take a while to get used to but once you start playing (and don't play against really high level people right off the bat) It's a ton of fun. You can play 2v2 or 3v3, games are pretty short but still fun. skills and stats that make you play better. All around good times. It just came out so there aren't to many people playing yet, but I would totaly be down for some bitching PA games.

Lost on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In response to Aeria games:

Last Chaos and Shaiya were both your typical korean MMO grindfest. I didn't find anything to like in either of them.

I did enjoy Project Torque though. It's basically just a racing MMO, and it works pretty well. Anyone who's into racing games should give it a fair shot.

citizen059 on
  • zootsozootso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Couple of game questions:

Ever heard of these games?

Kailas:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v69804938Nc2Gbdw

Ned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw76etfwkbk&eurl=http://newmmo.blogspot.com/ (looks pretty amazing, very nice graphics, if it is free, lol)

And finally, anyone try Ghost: X? Looks like a swell cell-shaded mmo:
    http://www.mowgee.com/comments.php?id=126_0_1_0_C

zootso on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    NED online? god that's an awful name

it does look pretty though. Is it out yet?

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited May 2008
    NED- terrible name, and the UI (and intro) are total WoW rip-offs, but the game itself looks really interesting. I dig the control-a-group mechanic.

Glal on
    edited May 2008
    Do you have a website for any of those games? From the tiny bits of information I could find through google it looks like the games are only out in Korea without any information about an international release. Both games look pretty, but the gameplay looks horrible. If you can't even make gameplay look good in a trailer you're doing something wrong.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    I got an invite to check out Rich Man and so far I like it for one simple reason:

richmanlooooosezd4.jpg

The single player tutorial was a lot of fun, but then I played in a 2v2 match and the others were dimwitted morons talking about "ur gay" and "u don't even know what gay mean!" and then a discussion about the other "thingz" gay can mean in modern day English.

And server stability is a disaster so far. Besides that: Monopoly with poison attacks and cute graphics=win. I think it is a lot better if you play with friends, although that defeats the purpose of MMOs to me.

Aldo on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    I got an invite to check out Rich Man and so far I like it for one simple reason:

richmanlooooosezd4.jpg

The single player tutorial was a lot of fun, but then I played in a 2v2 match and the others were dimwitted morons talking about "ur gay" and "u don't even know what gay mean!" and then a discussion about the other "thingz" gay can mean in modern day English.

And server stability is a disaster so far. Besides that: Monopoly with poison attacks and cute graphics=win. I think it is a lot better if you play with friends, although that defeats the purpose of MMOs to me.

board game MMO sounds kinda cool, is it an invite only closed beta?

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    board game MMO sounds kinda cool, is it an invite only closed beta?
    If you have an account at Aeria you can play it, I think.

the client is freely available anyway. o_O

Aldo on
    edited June 2008
    DOMO is closed to European players now..... :(

Johannen on
    edited June 2008
    Johannen wrote: »
    That is odd.

Maybe they're going to localize it for Europe?

*edit: no wait, gametribe is down for maintenance.

Aldo on
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    That is odd.

Maybe they're going to localize it for Europe?

*edit: no wait, gametribe is down for maintenance.

It's not just that, on the Ariea site they've said that they couldn't come to an agreement with Gametribe over European IPs.

Johannen on
    edited June 2008
    It's not just that, on the Ariea site they've said that they couldn't come to an agreement with Gametribe over European IPs.
    Oh, aha. D:

Luckily DOMO is boring as fuck anyway. :lol:

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.