As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3s on Ebay: The Aftermath

jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Here's an article from Kotaku detailing the rise and fall of PS3 prices on Ebay. It came to conclude that the most profitable time to sell the PS3s was on Nov. 16 when people were auctioning their preorders and that the prices for PS3s bottomed out on Dec. 21 when people assumed there would be a last minute rush for PS3s.

Here's an informative graph that detailed the average prices PS3s were going for over several weeks:
declineps3final-thumb.jpg
Does anyone have the figures for the Xbox 360 on Ebay last year for comparison?

Goomba wrote: »
It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
jedijz on

• ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Egh, this again?

ze swift class on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    these figures probably factor in all the fake bidders (non-payers) too huh? I doubt anyone paid $2,000+ for a PS3

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd love to see the 360's for last year.

powerss on
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Noone cares.

Noone ever will care.

ToadTheMushroom on
    edited January 2007
    these figures probably factor in all the fake bidders (non-payers) too huh? I doubt anyone paid $2,000+ for a PS3

People did. A close friend of mine sold his on Ebay for close to $3,000.

powerss on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    powerss wrote:

was that a pre-order or after launch?

Humans are dumb

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    powerss wrote:

Humans are dumb
    auctions ending on or before November 16th, meaning preorders, had a 96.5% success rate. In the period after the system was released the figure dropped to 73%

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Noone cares.

Noone ever will care.
    ....I...I care?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2007
    powerss wrote:

Humans are dumb

Just after launch.

And yes, humans ARE dumb.

powerss on
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Humans are so dumb that they call their own species dumb!... Or would that qualify as smart?...

PARADOX OMG!

And no one cares! We're all to busy playing our DS, Wiis, and 360s to care. :P

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So... the best time to sell a PS3 was just before anyone had ever had a chance to play one?

Awesome.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Or we could also be playing PS3s as well.

I picked one up from work (futureshop.ca) when we dropped 1000 on the site. We'd had a moratorium on buying them up to this point, but when we threw a thousand units the director said "what the hell, go for it".

These units are starting to show up consistently at retail. We've got sizable Purchase Orders cut for the next quarter, and contrary to what you might have read, we are indeed still selling out. We have had some OERs (Obvious Ebay Returns) - units that showed up as returns on the 18th and 19th of December (30 day return policy) from folks who were probably a little to aggressive in their reserves or who had fake bids screw them but these returns have been far and few between.

I'm mostly here for the Bru-ray (I've already got an HD-DVD addon and a Toshiba HD-A2) but I'm interested about the possibilities of Linux (video players ftw) and I've been contemplootin R:FOM. Meh, whatev's. Supply meet demand, ya'll get along now.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Basticle wrote:
    Noone cares.

Noone ever will care.
    ....I...I care?
    You're not Noone are you?

Really, this graph shows some people wanted a PS3 so bad that they spent stupid amounts of money to get it, then everyone got it froms stores instead of ebay.

Or something, I dunno.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    plufim wrote:
    So... the best time to sell a PS3 was just before anyone had ever had a chance to play one?

Awesome.
    That doesn't bode well.

FreddyD on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd actually be interested in knowing how well the PS3 is holding up after Christmas. I assume it's too early for that data, though.

jothki on
  • ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sold the one I bought 7 days after release for $2000 locally via classified ad in the paper.

$1200 profit :D

Zhou on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aftermath or afterbirth?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I guess this shows people weren't desperate enough or dumb enough to shell out big bucks on ebay.

I bought one on the 29th at Best Buy. It was a return (20GB). I could have bought a 60GB on a few occasions but I turned them down. I probably visited 5-6 store a total of about 20 times before I found the 20GB. I also got 2 games for $39.99 each (including R:FOM).

jwalk on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm glad prices ended up bottoming out quickly, since maybe this will mean that come next hardware launch, people will look back, and leave more systems for actual gamers.

BTW, I know a guy who bough 5 systems and had dreams of selling them for massive profit. He ended up selling them at around 600 bucks.

Kyougu on
  • Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A friend of mine sold his on eBay for $2600 the day after it was released. He planned on using the money on Black Friday to buy his family and friends gifts, but he never got his money. Paypal either put a hold on his account or the guy never paid him... I can't remember.

Either way, the situation sucks.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is all ironic because from what I gather most people in the US can still walk into a store in a major urban center and get one off the shelves. And for, you know, a still monstrously overpriced cost.

liquidlogan on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    first ones sold the day after for good profit

the last (otherwise sold on Christmas Eve for a little profit) got me fired :P

Deusfaux on
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:

?

I saw an unsold ps3 for the first time today at a Fred Meyers. It had, apparently been there for a good 24 hours.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited January 2007
    Arsenic7 wrote:
    ?

eh, check the employee lounge thread. long story short - i put ad for it outside the store after hours and it resulted in outright termination

Deusfaux on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:

Sorry man. I read that story. That situation sucks. I understand your perspective, but most retail companies - particularly tech-/gaming-oriented ones, have VERY strict policies about putting ANY non-official notices up anywhere on their property.

That means even ones that are beneficial to the store. If a RM/DM walks into an EB, for instance, and one of the sales associates put up a sign that read "WE HAVE NINTENDO DS IN STOCK!" that they either wrote or printed out but wasn't specifically sent to the store to be displayed, usually the associate AND the store and maybe even the manager/assistant manager would all get written up - even if the SM/ASM weren't there. They are very serious about that kind of stuff.

Sales solicitation by way of a non-official flier that can be seen as competition is always grounds for immediate termination.

They handled it shitty, though. Fuck 'em.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • matt7718matt7718 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I camped out for 12 hours to get one, the store advertised they were going to have 12, and the only received 6 from Sony. So we got a rain check, by the time we got the system, the Ebay prices sucked so we sold it for like... 600.

It was definately a learning experience.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

I'm getting someone to buy this one camera we just got in on staff discount for me (heck, maybe my discount would still work)

and i just now invited the girl i loved seeing every other day to a hockey game so its all good.

Deusfaux on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So are PS3s still selling out everywhere else? I have a friend who works at a local Futureshop, and apparently they got over 40 last shipment and still haven't sold out (almost a week ago). Even though it's a sub 1-million person city, it seems strange that they would last that long with all the crazy stories of PS3 campouts still circulating around the internet.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dark Moon wrote:
    So are PS3s still selling out everywhere else? I have a friend who works at a local Futureshop, and apparently they got over 40 last shipment and still haven't sold out (almost a week ago). Even though it's a sub 1-million person city, it seems strange that they would last that long with all the crazy stories of PS3 campouts still circulating around the internet.

Didn't you hear? The damned thing costs five hundred and ninety nine U.S. dollars! OLOLOLO!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

Sorry man. I read that story. That situation sucks. I understand your perspective, but most retail companies - particularly tech-/gaming-oriented ones, have VERY strict policies about putting ANY non-official notices up anywhere on their property.

That means even ones that are beneficial to the store. If a RM/DM walks into an EB, for instance, and one of the sales associates put up a sign that read "WE HAVE NINTENDO DS IN STOCK!" that they either wrote or printed out but wasn't specifically sent to the store to be displayed, usually the associate AND the store and maybe even the manager/assistant manager would all get written up - even if the SM/ASM weren't there. They are very serious about that kind of stuff.

Sales solicitation by way of a non-official flier that can be seen as competition is always grounds for immediate termination.

Really? The ebgames by me has a poster on the front desk saying "We Dont Have Any Wii's or PS3's so dont even ask", so I figured it musta been pretty loose on those lines.

Wezoin on
  • OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What a hunk o' shit.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    What's funny is I just saw three sitting at Target the other day. And that less than a week after seeing one at Wal-Mart. I'm thinking price-drops aren't too far off in the future.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's pretty obvious people were just buying them to resell or whatever. I mean the game sales have been clear enough to prove so. People just aren't that interested in a 600$ console.

I doubt we will see alot of price dropping for the PS3 given how much it costs them anyway. We haven't even really had a PSP price drop yet. :?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What's funny is I just saw three sitting at Target the other day. And that less than a week after seeing one at Wal-Mart. I'm thinking price-drops aren't too far off in the future.

don't be silly

They will at least wait for the second generation of software, and for it to have launched worldwide.

Possible Bundles including games/accessories soon, but nothing else in the way of price drops for at least a year.

LewieP on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:

don't be silly

They will at least wait for the second generation of software, and for it to have launched worldwide.

Possible Bundles including games/accessories soon, but nothing else in the way of price drops for at least a year.
    They lose a few hundred dollars on every PS3 sold. Sony is probably pushing for a pricier model, if anything.

FreddyD on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:

don't be silly

You're assuming it sells respectably, which from all indications, it isn't. If sales don't pick up, they're gonna have to do something to spur purchases.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We (Gamestop) are getting about one PS3 return a week. People play it, don't like it and come back two, three days later to get their money back.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dark Moon wrote:

No they aren't selling out as a whole, but in some areas they are. People don't want the console and with no killer app, and exclusives going multiplatform like crazy (and I'm sure that trend will continue) there is no reason at all to buy one right nwo.

For the PS3 to sell well it's going to have to get under 500 bucks (making it an impulse buy for many), or land some killer 100% exclusive title that's out on the market.

When I eat at the mall for lunch I check EB and best buy often to goof off. They always have PS3's and they aren't selling. Everything else is.

crash5s on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Damn I would have expected some crazy prices near to Christmas.

Any graphs for Wii?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Damn I would have expected some crazy prices near to Christmas.

Any graphs for Wii?

Would an editted picture of Nintendo execs all wearing moneyhats suffice? The fact that my now elderly stepfather and his family knew about the system speaks volumes, though I don't think the percentage of people getting Wiis for eBay was as high due to perceptions of Nintendo vs. Sony prelaunch.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772