As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finished it thread

godofchaosgodofchaos Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
Loved the game, played it thru nonstop.

Really looking forward to the next one.

Checked the leaderboard during the ending credits and ran to grab the one thing I had near me that could take video, when I beat the game I was number one on the leaderboard. Don't think I was ever so jazzed beating a game (never been 1 on a leaderboard before). http://www.db-destiny.net/pa-leaderboard1.3g2 (shitty phone cam)

godofchaos on

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wow really?

I mean that is quite literally six hours after the release of the game. Did you stop to read anything?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    wow really?

I mean that is quite literally six hours after the release of the game. Did you stop to read anything?

Honestly, I enjoyed the hell out of the game, been a long time since I played ANY game thru basically without doing anything else.

I wasn't rushing or anything either (and that even counts for about 20 minutes when I was wondering around cause I hadn't realized I hadn't picked up an item I needed to continue on. I thought I had grabbed it, and since they listed more than one thing, I was wandering around to find other stuff, when it turned out it was just the one thing, when I finally looked in the inventory and realized I didn't have it I felt pretty dumb), read every line of text and enjoyed it, and got really loud laughing a few times even.

godofchaos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    godofchaos wrote: »
    wow really?

Honestly, I enjoyed the hell out of a game, been a long time since I played ANY game thru basically without doing anything else.

I wasn't rushing or anything either (and that even counts for about 20 minutes when I was wondering around cause I hadn't realized I hadn't picked up an item I needed to continue on. I thought I had grabbed it, and since they listed more than one thing, I was wandering around to find other stuff, when it turned out it was just the one thing, when I finally looked in the inventory and realized I didn't have it I felt pretty dumb), read every line of text and enjoyed it, and got really loud laughing a few times even.

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm tags.

That's awesome that you enjoyed it all the way through. How does the difficulty ramp up?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    There are point's where it ramps up and you gotta plan and use item's wisely, but it never gets that hard honestly.

Last boss is probably the hardest, grunts before him were ludicrously easy.

godofchaos on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Haha, you got a shot of me at #3.

Hoz on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I played the demo so far, thought it was awesome.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    DevrynDevryn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    6 Hours of gameplay for $20.00? Damn...Thanks for the heads up. I was going to pick this up online when I got home from work, but you just saved me $20.

Devryn on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Devryn wrote: »
    6 Hours of gameplay for $20.00? Damn...Thanks for the heads up. I was going to pick this up online when I got home from work, but you just saved me $20.

lots of $60 games are 6 hours now too. It's the new standard I guess.

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Yeah, you obviously need the $20 to pay your rent to the hobo landlord of the dumpster you live in.

If I was you I wouldn't buy the game either.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »

Yeah, you obviously need the $20 to pay your rent to the hobo landlord of the dumpster you live in.

dude, no need for ad hominem attacks. Some people have different value metrics than you.

Of course, 6 hours is quicker than what Khoo was saying. I'm surprised he got through it that fast.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Greater internet dickwad theory strikes again.

I'm not going to be drawn into a flame war.

$20 for a six hour EPISODIC game is too much in my opinion. Since this is America, and I am a veteran, I have the right to share my opinion.

Devryn on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Greater internet dickwad theory strikes again.

I'm not going to be drawn into a flame war.

$20 for a six hour EPISODIC game is too much in my opinion. Since this is America, [snip] I have the right to share my opinion.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Since this isn't America and I am not a member of any army and we operate under a monarchy I have no right to share my opinion or disagree with anyone and LONG LIVE THE QUEEN

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I didn't intend to finish the game in one session, I really didn't. It just kind of happened. I loved it all the way through, although I think the final boss was a little too easy. I wasn't even in danger of running out of gauze/first aid kits.

Hothead did a great job, and as expected I loved Tycho's writing. I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode already.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

dude, no need for ad hominem attacks.

I know, I'm clearly in the wrong here, but come on, create an account and make one post just to say the game isn't worth it, in a thread that's meant to be for those who bought, played, and finished the game?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I know, I'm clearly in the wrong here, but come on, create an account and make one post just to say the game isn't worth it, in a thread that's meant to be for those who bought, played, and finished the game?

I thought the attack was awesome, it was like you hit all the right bars on the timing scale and did full damage.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I thought the attack was awesome, it was like you hit all the right bars on the timing scale and did full damage.

I didn't necessarily agree until the guy tried to leverage the whole veteran thing.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I didn't necessarily agree until the guy tried to leverage the whole veteran thing.

Why, because some young kid who lives on mama's basement and has never had to work hard for anything doesn't have any respect or show a little bit of common courtesy for other individuals and their accomplishments in life? His lack of even common courtesy to someone he doesn't know is alarming, and quite honestly, a key indicator of just how far our societies youth has fallen. I'm proud of my military service, and I'm more than willing to rub it in someones face who can't show at least a minimum amount of common courtesy.

If it seems I'm being arrogant about my service, in regards to this minor internet dickwad, I am. I'm proud of what I accomplished and I DO feel that my opinion is worth more than his insults simply because I have made something of myself. You could call it arrogance, I call it self respect.

Edit: Either way, it wasn't my intent to become holier-than-thou or clash with anyone on this board. OBVIOUSLY I'm not welcome and/or the users of this board are too hostile, too immature, or just plain too young. I'll see myself out.

Mods, feel free to delete my user account. I won't be back.

Devryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thank god for that.

Now, let's get back to talking about how great the game is and how glad we are we finished it.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've got great respect for veterans; unfortunately, this respect doesn't carry over to pricks.

I finished the demo on my Macbook -- I'd be playing the whole game, but I can't activate it here at work (port must be blocked or something). It's waiting for me on my desktop at home, though.

The demo was fantastic, I can't wait to play the full version.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I finished it, but only because I'm going on vacation tomorrow and don't want to bring my laptop. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would say it was definitely worth $20.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Why, because some young kid who lives on mama's basement and has never had to work hard for anything doesn't have any respect or show a little bit of common courtesy for other individuals and their accomplishments in life? His lack of even common courtesy to someone he doesn't know is alarming, and quite honestly, a key indicator of just how far our societies youth has fallen. I'm proud of my military service, and I'm more than willing to rub it in someones face who can't show at least a minimum amount of common courtesy.

If it seems I'm being arrogant about my service, in regards to this minor internet dickwad, I am. I'm proud of what I accomplished and I DO feel that my opinion is worth more than his insults simply because I have made something of myself. You could call it arrogance, I call it self respect.

Edit: Either way, it wasn't my intent to become holier-than-thou or clash with anyone on this board. OBVIOUSLY I'm not welcome and/or the users of this board are too hostile, too immature, or just plain too young. I'll see myself out.

Mods, feel free to delete my user account. I won't be back.

Oh jesus, I thought this guy was kidding.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm ready to be back on topic too.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    ChanningChanning Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, it's 10am now.

Dear PA,
    Don't make any more episodes because it will ruin my life. I have no self control.
    I thought the game was great. Unlike most RPGs that try to expand game time by making you grind mindlessly or giving you boring fetch tasks, I felt like the story was always moving forward. The game did feel a bit short clocking in at around 6 hours for me as well but I would willingly pay another 20 for another 6 hour experience similar to this.
    This buy has been the best game for PC I've bought as of yet. Beats Counter Strike, Orange Box (really, I don't see what's so awesome about HL but to each his or her own), CoD4, Civ4. Seriously, dollar per enjoyment unit, this was the best deal yet.

Channing on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    This is the big thing, I think, the bang for the buck value.

For what amounts to very little money, comparatively, you are getting six or more hours of pure comedy and fun gameplay.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Plus, considering some of the bad long games people pay 60 bucks for, 20 bucks for 6 hours of an awesome game (and I'm a ludicrously fast reader anyways). I enjoyed it and plan to buy anymore they do.

godofchaos on
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ludicrous Speed!
    spaceballsnp3.png

The cutscenes were great, but I wish there was more customization for the character (both in parts and color change, as you're only able to edit the hue of items).

I don't mind Gabe, Tycho and others not speaking (especially with all of the dialogue they say), but it would have been nice to give more fitting music, as the scene just kind of goes silent. It's fine for the comics, but it messes up the game's pacing. Also, I hope I'm not the only one who thought battles could use more appropriate music as well.

Otherwise, it was pretty fun, with quite a few things to click on, some funny lines, and improved graphics from the original preview.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Great stuff. Great writing, great gameplay... just great.

But, yeah, the lack of customisation does hurt it a little. My character, with the handlebar moustache and pin-stripe slacks, looks (in hindsight) a little out-of-place next to Tycho and Gabe. Still, the actual player character integration is almost seamless in the cutscenes, and that should be rightly applauded.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Great stuff. Great writing, great gameplay... just great.

But, yeah, the lack of customisation does hurt it a little. My character, with the handlebar moustache and pin-stripe slacks, looks (in hindsight) a little out-of-place next to Tycho and Gabe. Still, the actual player character integration is almost seamless in the cutscenes, and that should be rightly applauded.

With regards to customization, I think it's important to remember that there was a XBLA size limit to contend with, and every option had to have 2D and 3D assets made for it.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SupaiSupai Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just finished it, but I have no idea how long I spent doing so...there was a break for a few things during, but all in all, totally worth the money spent. I loved the combat system, I was laughing throughout the whole game, and even though there was a 'gotta catch 'em all' aspect to the robot parts in it there was a purpose to it and it drove me absolutely NUTS that I couldn't find every single one in the last location of the game. I can't wait for the next episode.

I can't really think of any complaints about it. I hope the next one has a few more locations but other than that, job well done to PA and Hothead.

-Edit-

Oh, by the by, I'm a veteran too (USMC 5 years) so that means everybody has to respect my opinion more.

Right?

Right?

Supai on
  • Options
    Since 1845Since 1845 Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I think I can safely say, this is the first time I've enjoyed an RPG game since I was a child.

It was fast, kept me on my toes, and the dialogue had the perfect pretentious to vulgar ratio.

I am not a Penny Arcade reader, I am not an RPG gamer, and I thoroughly loved this project. Kudos to everyone involved.

And, yes, I registered explicitly to make this post.

Since 1845 on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I probably wouldn't mind if the next episode just throws in three new locations and keeps the current three relatively unchanged. I think that six would be a more fitting number of locales, but I do have to admit that you don't get sick of the places very quickly at all, especially since you're flipping between them so often.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    Furious FishFurious Fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there any use for the slum lord's hair or the monkey card you get from the pee professor? I finished the game but I hadn't found any use for those, just wondering if I missed something or if they carry over to the next episode.
    I'm, uh, guessing there isn't supposed to be any use for the lint.

Furious Fish on
  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Finished it just now. Very happy with the game itself, but I think 20 dollars is a little steep for this.

No, don't worry, I'm more complaining because it was so good that I want more already!

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Any chance to
    beat up a Barbershop quartet
    is worth $20, to me anyway.

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There's a few items that I didn't find a use for, like in the aforementioned post. Maybe they'll be used in rthe next episode?

I also couldn't get all the robot parts in Pelican Bay. I clicked everywhere, but I seem to have run out of Fruit Fuckers to kill. So I never did get the last "regular" upgrade for Tycho's gun.

I'm also missing 2 pieces of art.

All in all though I spent the better part of a day I originally intended to be productive beating this game. It's worth the $20 IMO.

Combat system is real good, though there were few moments where I was really struggling to survive a battle. I hope they ramp up the difficulty a little more in following episodes. I think the hardest battles for me where the first time I fought the Mark II's and the final battle.

But overall it's a fun system. You're actively attacking, iteming, and blocking. I was never bored.

Oh, and the story is fantastic. Tycho and Gabe have outdone themselves.

Crazy Robot on
    3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
  • Options
    MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    10/10 for the entire game.

It was just fucking phenomenal, I played it all the way through non-stop. The humor was spot-on, it really had that PA flavor to it. The graphics were perfect for what they needed to be. But for me, the cut-scenes stood out above everything else, they were a joy to watch :)

A job very well done across all boards to Mike & Jerry as well as Hothead.

Avidly anticipating Part 2.

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    echelonechelon Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Bought and finished today.

[fanboy]Was totally awesome. Well worth the money. Gabe, tycho: You guys should be proud. Great work.[/fanboy]

The combat was repetitive, but I never stopped enjoying it. The weapon upgrades looked great. The art was faithfully animated and the story dripped pure liquid Holkins.

Bring on episode 2! Guaranteed purchase.

echelon on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This last boss is way too hard compared to the rest of the game.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    samprasfansamprasfan Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Bought and finished it today as well, I have to say 6 hours is pretty accurate. I found all the parts, didn't find all the art and I assume I probably missed a couple music albums too. I'm not a huge fan of "click everything on the screen, even if it looks like a pebble in the dirt. It makes the world seem bigger!"

The game was awesome, I was just disappointed by the length. If the other installments are similar, it will be the equivalent of one game for 80$ to me, but I'm an old school RPG fan. The combat system was fun, and the characters and environments were beautiful. It just wasn't as epic in scope as I expect an RPG or an adventure game to be, even one episodic in nature.
    Along with the monkey card and blond hair, I had trouble finding a use for the funnel(top half of a phonograph). I did get the meat stamped and the invisible mime gear for the stat buffs.

An semi-unfortunate side-effect of the fact there were no random enemies was, when I got enough parts to get the final upgrade for Tycho's weapon, there were not enough enemies left to get his Overkill Bonus maxed out. A very small gripe I know. :D I'll know better for the sequel, which I do plan to pick up. This game was good while it lasted, and hopefully the next one is just a little longer and more grandiose.

samprasfan on