As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

XBOX 360 and Oblivion Woe

The NazariteThe Nazarite Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I got a XBOX 360 Core recently, along with Oblivion. For a week or so, the game worked perfectly. Then, I moved the console to another room, with the CD in it. After that, the load times in the game all of a sudden became very very long. Also, whenever I tried to bring up my journal (B button), the game froze.

I thought the CD might have been damaged. But, the CD looks undamaged, and worked fine in my friend's XBOX.

I then thought that the XBOX itself may be damaged. However, my other game, Gears of War, seems to work perfectly well in my XBOX, without long load times.

Do you guys have any idea why this is happening? Is there anyway I can fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

The Nazarite on

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You can probably clear the cache on the Xbox 360's HDD following these directions. Read the tiny article first, I think it kinds describes what you might be dealing with. Keep in mind doing this would flush any game updates from your 360, but not any firmware updates.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You can probably clear the cache on the Xbox 360's HDD following these directions. Read the tiny article first, I think it kinds describes what you might be dealing with. Keep in mind doing this would flush any game updates from your 360, but not any firmware updates.
    Er...to my knowledge that does not kill any game updates that you've downloaded. It merely flushes anything cached from the DVD to the hard drive.

For the record, I've done this many times and it works well.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    He said he has a core unit, so he doesn't have a HDD unless he bought one separately. Or unless he has mistaken the core for the premium.

TwistedJester on
  • The NazariteThe Nazarite Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I bought a HDD for the Core. I should've mentioned that. Sorry.

Anyway, I'll try clearing the cache when I get home. Thanks.

The Nazarite on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Er...to my knowledge that does not kill any game updates that you've downloaded.
    Er...to my knowledge it does.

YMMV of course but after doing that to my 360 I had to reapply updates for NCAA Football '06 and RB6 Vegas.

[edit] And 3 separate sites I have looked at confirm that this wipes software updates from the 360.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited January 2007
    Will this delete my saved games? If so, all of them, or just those for Oblivion? Thanks.

The Nazarite on
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    From what I've read, it doesn't affect game saves or downloadable content, but it will wipe any patches. Have you downloaded any patches for Oblivion? It seems there was a patch to deal with the long load times.

TwistedJester on
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Er...to my knowledge that does not kill any game updates that you've downloaded.
    Er...to my knowledge it does.

YMMV of course but after doing that to my 360 I had to reapply updates for NCAA Football '06 and RB6 Vegas.

[edit] And 3 separate sites I have looked at confirm that this wipes software updates from the 360.

For that specific game you are clearing the cache for or all software updates?

I've never run into this problem and I've cleared the cache for Oblivion at least 10 times since purchasing it. I've never cleared cache for other games though, so maybe that's why.

Drez on
    edited January 2007
    Will this delete my saved games? If so, all of them, or just those for Oblivion? Thanks.

No, it won't touch your saved games - just cached files from the DVD to the HDD. And, apparently, downloaded patches (which kind of surprises me, that they get thrown into the game's cache). But saves are not a part of the game's cache.

Drez on
    edited January 2007
    I tried what you guys suggested, and now everything works. You guys rock. Thanks again.

The Nazarite on