As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rain-Slick Precipice] Handling Bugs!

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited July 2012 in Penny Arcade Games
Greetings everyone! Things are chugging along well with our launch, but there are always those small machine/card specific bugs the Hothead guys are trying to address, and I figured it would be good to try and centralize everything in this sticky. In short, send an email to support@playgreenhouse.com with the following info:

- What Platform You're Running: Windows, Mac, Linux, XBLA
- As much detail as you can provide on the issue you encountered
- If you're running the windows version, under the Start Menu choose "Run.." Type in "dxdiag" without the quotes. Click "Save All Information..." at the bottom. Include this file in the email if you could.

They’re taking care of issues as fast as we can manage, and will post resolutions to known issues where possible.

Thanks everyone!

Some guy.
Sterica on

• jamespatrickjamespatrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Once I had to quit and come back because my guy wouldn't attack and the combat was frozen. The game was fine and it only happened once. I just beat it.

I'm running Windows Vista. It happened at the Carnival area against some of the Clowns.

definetly not a big bug and it only happened once. It might even have been something else I was running interfering with it since I generally have some things running in the backround that I probably shouldnt.

jamespatrick on
  • Dude LoveDude Love Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I'm playing this on the 360, and I'm at the part near where you start where the camera zooms to the orange tree. I was walking away at the time, but the camera stayed zoomed into the tree, and wherever I was, I couldn't get in view of the camera. Had to reload.

Dude Love on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Once I had to quit and come back because my guy wouldn't attack and the combat was frozen. The game was fine and it only happened once. I just beat it.

I'm running Windows Vista. It happened at the Carnival area against some of the Clowns.

definetly not a big bug and it only happened once. It might even have been something else I was running interfering with it since I generally have some things running in the backround that I probably shouldnt.

This happened to me too, except it was against a Barber quartet. Windows XP.

Regicid3 on
  • samprasfansamprasfan Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »

Me as well, was in Pelican Bay against a couple of fruit fucker Mark IVs. It was on the screen just immediately left of the black gate.

samprasfan on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had some weird issue with some of the in-game models rendering. Here's some screen shots:

http://goldenyak.com/images/rspd_prob01.jpg
    The cat is all weird

http://goldenyak.com/images/rspd_prob02.jpg
    So's this giant bolt thing.

Running the windows version. Comp's brand new since December, so it should be pretty much up to date. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone else get this? I'll fire along an e-mail to Playgreen as well.

edit - I set the graphics to 'high' instead of 'standard' and that seemed to take care of it. I'm a genius!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • JonathanCallanJonathanCallan Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys,

New to the boards. Figured this would be the place to go for a solution to the problem I'm having. Huge PA fan, could not wait for the game. But I've been having problems ever since I started playing it. I have an IBM Thinkpad Z61P and an Acer monitor I recently bought to play games and watch movies at a decent size on. This seems to be where the problem is: my laptop is having trouble transferring the image to the second monitor I guess? The weird thing is the game runs fine for fifteen to thirty minutes every time and then the game and my laptop crash and my monitor reads something like: "Invalid Input" or "No Input". I haven't played the game terribly long on my laptop monitor, but it doesn't seem to get the same problem.

Can anybody help me out? It would be a shame to be forced to play a game this gorgeous on my tiny laptop monitor.

Running on windows.

JonathanCallan on
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The mouse pointer doesn't move the same way in the game as it does on the desktop on my computer. It's slower, or faster sometimes. Kind of like someone's watching my screen and trying to copy the movements exactly, but it's never going to be quite right. Only really an issue during the battles. I had the graphics on High, but dropping them down to Standard helped, but didn't get rid of the problem entirely.

I'm running the Mac version in Mac OS X 10.4.11 on a 1.83 Intel Core Duo Macbook Pro with 1 GB of ram.
    Resomolution: 1440x900
    Fullscreen
    Graphics: "Standard"

edit: My reading comprehension sucks today. I just copy and pasted this post into an email like the OP says.
    edit again: but I forgot to mention in the email that I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11. Seems kind of important.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • heyartheyart Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Bought, downloaded, and installed the game. But I'm completely unable to play. The game crashes at what I assume to be the launch window about 5 seconds after starting. I was never even able to enter my license key.

I'm running Windows XP. 1.5G of RAM.

I already submitted the dxdiag to support, but i wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues.

heyart on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know there is a thread just for this issue but I will cross post it here.

I am playing the 360 version on a 36 inch SD and the Text is unreadable on both the map and in battle. I’m only sitting maybe 6 feet away from the TV. Also seeing the meters for attacks, HP etc is really hard as well. This renders the game practically unplayable.

It would be nice if there was a patch that would let the game display decently for those of us who are still stuck with our SDTV for a few more years.

Artoria on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    SPECS:
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit edition, SP1
    Intel Quad-core 2.4ghz processor, XFX 8800gt video card
    Current drivers
    Running dual monitors (a 19-inch LCD and a 17" CRT) and using Ultramon to extend the desktop across each
    Game running at max, 1280x1024 FS

ISSUE:
    When I start the game, it opens on my secondary monitor (the CRT). When I click during the opening cinematics, it switches over to the LCD (primary monitor) and renders as if in windowed mode. I click on it in that monitor and it switches back. Happens over and over, until the game finally launches into the playable screens, and then it stays on my secondary monitor only, and I can't get it to display in the primary. All other games run just fine in the primary monitor without any fuss.

Just a heads-up.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    samprasfan wrote: »
    Regicid3 wrote: »

Me as well, was in Pelican Bay against a couple of fruit fucker Mark IVs. It was on the screen just immediately left of the black gate.

Happened to me in the Demo. The first fruit fuckers after you get your orange. I selected the orange from my bag and it hung (never closed the bag). All the animations were continuing (fruit fuckers thrusting), and my cat's timer was still moving but i couldn't do anything. Havn't had a chance to try it again.

Gilbert0 on
  • slicenglideslicenglide Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I had the same in-game combat freeze. When I was fighting the hobo workshop boss.

Combat froze, and I had to start over,
    dissapointing.

It happened earlier right after the first mime fight, and the mime was stuck bleeding in the air(which was cool.) but not during the boss fight, that was major major uncool.
    -I'll send the bug report next time.

slicenglide on
  • apple_saucedapple_sauced Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    When I try to launch the app, I get:

"Could not find a compatible display device // Make sure your display device supports OpenGL 1.2 and the following extensions... "

I have a low-end video card, but I know I supports OpenGL.

I have updated my drivers, but no success.

apple_sauced on
  • DantenlDantenl Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I can't put the settings up any higher than "standard" for the graphics in the mac version of the game - and a little section of the drop down bar turns red (I can't see any more of the bar or the menu). It's almost like the only choice is "standard," although that doesn't make sense.

Running an Macbook (2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) with Leopard (v 10.5.2).

Help?

EDIT: added a screenshot. No red shows up in the windowed mode, however - it only happens in fullscreen.

rspderrorpn1.th.png

Dantenl on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Has anyone experienced bsod's? I get one whenever I try to play the demo :(

Impersonator on
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bug/trouble reporting! I'll send off an email, but here it is anyway.

Under 32-Bit Vista Home Premium, on a Toshiba Satellite P100 with a secondary monitor
    GeForce Go 7600
    All the latest DX and nvidia drivers... at 1280x1024, graphics Standard.

The game runs fine, but every time a new scene or combat loads, graphics don't show up unless I alt-tab out of OTRSPOD and then Alt-Tab back in.

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When I Try to run the demo, it tells me I need to update my drivers, but even after I do it gives the same message - I'm using a GeForce MX 420 - is that not going to be good enough? I don't know enough about the card designations to figure out if that's the problem. Thanks!

grendel824_ on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When I Try to run the demo, it tells me I need to update my drivers, but even after I do it gives the same message - I'm using a GeForce MX 420 - is that not going to be good enough? I don't know enough about the card designations to figure out if that's the problem. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure they said that the MX versions won't work because they don't support pixel shaders. The GeForce 4 MX is essentially a GeForce 2 updated for 2002.

Here's a $25 AGP card that supports shaders:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141052

NotASenator on
  • pepsi_h_colapepsi_h_cola Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I throw an orange past a store wall, FF keep chasing after it, but it stuck on the wall.
    Combat frozen.

pepsi_h_cola on
  • apple_saucedapple_sauced Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Anyone received a response yet from customer support? Two days and still nothing... I realize Hothead is a small company, but I had hoped they would staff up their tech support for this launch. The delay is really raining on my enthusiasm for this game and I hoped for better from PA.

apple_sauced on
  • PhoenixragePhoenixrage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bug for the 360 console.

Concerning saved games and attempting to overwrite them with a new game. I've completed three games (and the game assigns it the "Completed!" status), and decided to overwrite one of them with a new game. I was allowed to save like usual (and it added to my Leaderboard). However when I quit and come back, instead of giving the timestamp it'll still show the new game I overwrote with as "Completed!", and it will not allow any saves or travel.

I found this out after the Shithole incident. I saved before it, came back later (saw "Completed!"), beat the incident then went to save afterwards and it was greyed out. Also after you attempt to load an overwritten "Completed!" travel is not possible, and since you can't save either any kills you get do not go towards your Leaderboard.

Phoenixrage on
  • AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bug for the 360 console.

Concerning saved games and attempting to overwrite them with a new game. I've completed three games (and the game assigns it the "Completed!" status), and decided to overwrite one of them with a new game. I was allowed to save like usual (and it added to my Leaderboard). However when I quit and come back, instead of giving the timestamp it'll still show the new game I overwrote with as "Completed!", and it will not allow any saves or travel.

I found this out after the Shithole incident. I saved before it, came back later (saw "Completed!"), beat the incident then went to save afterwards and it was greyed out. Also after you attempt to load an overwritten "Completed!" travel is not possible, and since you can't save either any kills you get do not go towards your Leaderboard.

This is exactly what happened to my game. I started my second playthrough and overwrote my first save file. Now I can't use the map to travel anywhere.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they said that the MX versions won't work because they don't support pixel shaders. The GeForce 4 MX is essentially a GeForce 2 updated for 2002.

Here's a $25 AGP card that supports shaders:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141052

Awesome, thanks!

grendel824_ on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Has anyone experienced bsod's? I get one whenever I try to play the demo :(

I just wanted to say that I fixed this by lowering the resolution :)

Impersonator on
  • Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Darn..

I saved the game in pelican bay and went to bed.. when I tried to continue when it gets to the point of loading the engine it crashes.

Diffrent Save? Crash
    New Game? Crash
    Reinstall? Crash

What do I do?

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • RainwaterRainwater Registered User new member
    edited May 2008

Under 32-Bit Vista Home Premium, on a Toshiba Satellite P100 with a secondary monitor
    GeForce Go 7600

The game runs fine, but every time a new scene or combat loads, graphics don't show up unless I alt-tab out of OTRSPOD and then Alt-Tab back in.

I also have 32-Bit Vista Home Premium and GeForce Go 7600, and have the same EXACT bug. Alt+tabbing fixes it, but I have to do this every fucking time I'm in combat. Also haven't heard response from customer support.

Rainwater on
  • dark_porpoisedark_porpoise Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bug for the 360 console.

I have this exact same problem (for the 360, too). I was going to replay the game to try to get the "Invincible" achievement and figured I would overwrite the one that I didn't get everything for (I have beaten it twice, the first time just playing for fun, and the second to collect all the concept art and stuff). Things were going fine, I was in the "Hobocide" part, then shut it off and took a break. When I came back, it said that I had completed it. I was confused, so I tried loading it, and it worked, but then I couldn't save, exact same problem as Ashendark, too. Anyway, just wondering if there was anyone I could contact about it, or if I just have to start a new save, which would mean I would only have 5 saves.

dark_porpoise on
  • Wigwam theWigwam the Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I checked I have the correct system requirements- but on launch I get this problem:

PennyArcadeerror.png

running demo on Windows XP.

Wigwam the on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm getting that same "Could not find a compatible display device" error. Sent an e-mail off to HotHead about it, we'll see what they say. I'll give the vital info here as well, just in case it helps the problem get resolved faster...

Fujitsu P1510D Laptop
    Graphics Adapter: Intel 915GM (fully supports OpenGL 1.4)

I downloaded the OpenGL Extensions Viewer to make sure that my adapter's OpenGL support didn't having any holes, and everything looks to be 100% up to version 1.4. I've pasted the report below.
    Renderer: Intel 915GM
    Vendor: Intel
    Memory: 128 MB
    Version: 1.4.0 - Build 7.14.10.4764
    Shading language version: N/A
    Max number of light sources: 16
    Max viewport size: 2048 x 2048
    Max texture size: 2048 x 2048
    Max anisotropy: 4
    Max samples: 0
    Max draw buffers: 0
    Max texture coordinates: 8
    Max vertex texture image units: 0

Extensions: 52

GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1
    GL_ARB_depth_texture
    GL_ARB_fragment_program
    GL_ARB_multitexture
    GL_ARB_point_parameters
    GL_ARB_shadow
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
    GL_ARB_texture_compression
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
    GL_ARB_texture_env_add
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
    GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
    GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
    GL_ARB_vertex_program
    GL_ARB_window_pos
    GL_EXT_abgr
    GL_EXT_bgra
    GL_EXT_blend_color
    GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax
    GL_EXT_blend_subtract
    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
    GL_EXT_cull_vertex
    GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
    GL_EXT_fog_coord
    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
    GL_EXT_packed_pixels
    GL_EXT_rescale_normal
    GL_EXT_secondary_color
    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
    GL_EXT_shadow_funcs
    GL_EXT_stencil_two_side
    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
    GL_EXT_texture3D
    GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
    GL_EXT_texture_env_add
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
    GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat
    GL_NV_blend_square
    GL_NV_texgen_reflection
    GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
    GL_WIN_swap_hint
    WGL_ARB_buffer_region
    WGL_ARB_extensions_string
    WGL_ARB_make_current_read
    WGL_ARB_pbuffer
    WGL_ARB_pixel_format
    WGL_EXT_swap_control

Core features
    v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)
    v1.2 (100 % - 8/8)
    v1.3 (100 % - 9/9)
    v1.4 (100 % - 15/15)
    v1.5 (66 % - 2/3)
    v2.0 (10 % - 1/10)
    v2.1 (0 % - 0/3)

OpenGL driver version check (Current: 6.14.10.4764, Latest known: 6.14.10.3962):
    Latest version of display drivers found
    According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card.

Compiled vertex array support
    This feature improves OpenGL performance by using video memory to cache transformed vertices.

Multitexture support
    This feature accelerates complex rendering such as lightmaps or environment mapping.

Secondary color support
    This feature provides an alternate method of coloring specular highlights on polygons.

S3TC compression support
    This feature improves texture mapping performance in some applications by using lossy compression.

No texture edge clamp support
    This feature adds clamping control to edge texel filtering. Some programs may not render textures correctly (black line on borders.)

Vertex program support
    This feature enables a wide variety of effects via flexible vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.)

Fragment program support
    This feature enables a wide variety of effects via per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.)

Texture anisotropic filtering support
    This feature improves the quality of texture mapping on oblique surfaces.

No OpenGL Shading Language support
    This may break compatibility for applications using per pixel shading.

No Frame buffer object support
    This may break compatibility for applications using render to texture functions.

Extension verification:
    GL_ARB_imaging was not found, but has the entry point glBlendEquation
    WGL_EXT_extensions_string was not found, but has the entry point wglGetExtensionsStringEXT

immortal squish on
    <3
  • ElQuackElQuack Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dantenl wrote: »
    I can't put the settings up any higher than "standard" for the graphics in the mac version of the game - and a little section of the drop down bar turns red (I can't see any more of the bar or the menu). It's almost like the only choice is "standard," although that doesn't make sense.

Help?

EDIT: added a screenshot. No red shows up in the windowed mode, however - it only happens in fullscreen.

rspderrorpn1.th.png

I have the same issue in XP on a system with an ati x600, and on my vista laptop with an radeon express x1100.

Is this normal, perhaps High requires DX10?

ElQuack on
  • DantenlDantenl Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    ElQuack wrote: »
    Dantenl wrote: »

Help?

rspderrorpn1.th.png

I have the same issue in XP on a system with an ati x600, and on my vista laptop with an radeon express x1100.

Is this normal, perhaps High requires DX10?

I got an e-mail today saying that there is an update on the greenhouse site that should fix my problem. Awesome. Anyone else received a reply back?

EDIT: So I re-downloaded the game (I assume this is what they meant by getting the new build of the game) and I can STILL only play the game on the STANDARD graphics option. whaaaaaat?

Dantenl on
    edited May 2008
    Rainwater wrote: »

GeForce Go 7600

I also have 32-Bit Vista Home Premium and GeForce Go 7600, and have the same EXACT bug. Alt+tabbing fixes it, but I have to do this every fucking time I'm in combat. Also haven't heard response from customer support.

I got an email back from support about this issue, they said they were looking into it and had released a new build of the game (which I downloaded). The problem is still kicking around, however. Good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing it!

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Wigwam the wrote: »
    I checked I have the correct system requirements- but on launch I get this problem:

PennyArcadeerror.png

Getting this on the demo as well :|

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited May 2008
    edited for being fixed somehow.

strangemusic on
  • DingusDingus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

PennyArcadeerror.png

Same here, except I bought the full version (had played the demo on my brother's computer).

Anyone else having trouble with getting it to go on laptops? I guess I should e-mail my info to them and see if they have an answer.

Dingus on
  • powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, like - I got a game-breaking bug.

I was just getting into Pelican Bay and went to a 2nd pier and fought two fruit-fuckers.

I roll out an orange, and the orange goes behind the fruit-fucker, the fruit fucker tries to run to it and... no dice. Just gets caught in a running animation. Couldn't do shit to get out of it... pressed every button, everyone was frozen waiting for the fruit fucker to make his fucking delicious juice.

I hadn't saved since BEFORE TheShithole boss.

So, yeah - I won't be playing this for about a month. XBLA version.

powerss on
  • devotfeigedevotfeige Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    powerss wrote: »
    I hadn't saved since BEFORE TheShithole boss.

So, yeah - I won't be playing this for about a month. XBLA version.

Does the XBLA version not auto-save in between each 'area' the way the PC version does? I had a computer malfunction and was able to load up right from the entrance of the area I'd just walked into; it took me a while to even realize that I could actually make a proper save file as opposed to loading up said quick-saves.

Again, not sure if the XBLA version works differently in that regard, but thought I'd bring it up just in case.

devotfeige on
    sig.gif
  • powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will check that - thank you. Although I have to say, probably not.

powerss on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Dingus wrote: »

broked

Same here, except I bought the full version (had played the demo on my brother's computer).

Anyone else having trouble with getting it to go on laptops? I guess I should e-mail my info to them and see if they have an answer.

Mine happens to be a laptop, yes.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dingus wrote: »

broked

Mine happens to be a laptop, yes.

Me too! We're like brothers in screwedness!

immortal squish on
    <3