As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

• Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Honestly, I wish he would just quit killing off characters for a bit. It's hard never seeing them catch a break.

Dorktron9000 on
  • BrizzleBrizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Honestly, I wish he would just quit killing off characters for a bit. It's hard never seeing them catch a break.

Catch a break? Dying and not coming back as a damn zombie is the biggest break they can catch. Cause you know living in a world where every one is trying to kill you is really fucking fun.

Brizzle on
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Brizzle wrote: »

Catch a break? Dying and not coming back as a damn zombie is the biggest break they can catch. Cause you know living in a world where every one is trying to kill you is really fucking fun.

I liked it when things in the prison evened out a bit and we got genuine character drama and not more shit hitting the fan. The comic is one titanic clusterfuck after another for the characters and I'm starting to feel like a sadist for enjoying it.

Dorktron9000 on
  • BrizzleBrizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Brizzle wrote: »

I liked it when things in the prison evened out a bit and we got genuine character drama and not more shit hitting the fan. The comic is one titanic clusterfuck after another for the characters and I'm starting to feel like a sadist for enjoying it.

It feels like the total carnage is over for awhile, and I whole heartedly agree with watching the main cast get constantly shit on and still not be able to wait for the next issue.

Brizzle on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does anyone else get the feeling
    we're being set up for a time jump? Pretty much everyone is dead, the lose ends are for the most part tied up, and it does play into the "what next" angle Kirkman is always selling the book with.

werehippy on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the feeling
    we're being set up for a time jump? Pretty much everyone is dead, the lose ends are for the most part tied up, and it does play into the "what next" angle Kirkman is always selling the book with.

I didn't get that feeling. It really wouldn't fit the feel of the book.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, at what point is this book supposed to be slow? Because I've gone through the first 4 trades, and it definitely hasn't happened yet.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • BrizianBrizian Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Regarding the newest issue. A couple of questions:
    After Michonne stabbed zombie-Tyreese's head who was the other guy who's head she chopped off? He looked a lot like Rick although it obviously wasn't him. Was it Hershel? Secondly, what was the deal with the axe not killing the zombie? That's always worked in the past. Are the zombies evolving or something? Finally, Rick alone in the bathroom. Did he find antibiotics or not? My understanding was that he found pain killers instead but I could be wrong. Though this could also explain his state at the end of the issue.
    I assume it was Hershel as well. Damn, he looked like Rick though. As for the axe, maybe the zombie had a metal plate in his head? Or maybe Rick was so weak that he just couldn't get the axe deep enough, like he said. I'd hate for this series to start going the super-zombies route. Finally, I think Rick found painkillers, not anti-biotics.

Also, this would be an ideal time to bring Morgan and Duane back into the main story. I've been wanting them back forever. Morgan & Duane + Rick & Carl = Awesome.

Brizian on
  • theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    he's setting up for a status quo change for ish 50.
    i thot it would be rick dying and about other characters taking a bigger role. but who knows now.

i'm sure after issue 50, it'll settle a little, as much as walking dead can.

theparttime on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So is anyone left? I kinda assumed it would move into a "Man and his Boy roaming the post apocalyptic wastelands" sort of deal - which could definitely be cool.

Or maybe switch characters altogether, showing an all new perspective - maybe even tackling the "what happened" issue? Maybe meet up with his kid later...?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BrizianBrizian Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have a theory that the next issue will focus on Carl out on his own, trying to find food and supplies, and ending with him bringing them back to a Rick who is too sick to take of this stuff.

Brizian on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Brizian wrote: »
    I have a theory that the next issue will focus on Carl out on his own, trying to find food and supplies, and ending with him bringing them back to a Rick who is too sick to take of this stuff.
    I'm pretty sure Carl will end up a hero in his own right. A flash forward to when he's a bit older would be cool, maybe he's had to live on his own or take care of a few people by himself while everyone else managed to rebuild. Growing up like that he could be hard to the core while maybe most of everyone else went bakc to normal and moved on...

I pretty much look forward to anything though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »
    So is anyone left? I kinda assumed it would move into a "Man and his Boy roaming the post apocalyptic wastelands" sort of deal - which could definitely be cool.

Or maybe switch characters altogether, showing an all new perspective - maybe even tackling the "what happened" issue? Maybe meet up with his kid later...?
    Michonne is alive and she was followinf some tracks from the wrecked RV.

Toxic Toys on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, Kirkman has already said that we'd be seeing the father and son combo (from early in the series, and from the Christmas story) soon. Also, it's been sort of established that zombies can be tamed, to an extent (Michonne's brother and boyfriend).
    I wouldn't mind seeing the adventures of Zombie Rick and Carl.

Also, I assume Rick had issues with axe-braining the zombie in the latest issue because he's sick/exhausted, not because Kirkman is introducing super-duper-zombies that shoot laser beams out of their eyes and spit bees at you.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I think it would be cool to see a zombie that had bees flying of it's mouth.

Toxic Toys on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Some spoilers re: upcoming covers
    Issue 52's cover features Carl meeting up with Michonne again and issue 53's cover seems to feature a new group of zombie-killing bad asses. It doesn't look like Duanne will be showing up just yet.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Do you have a link to those

edit: link is here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16494

Spoilers on that link.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm about half way through Book 1, and man... It really is a good read. The art is fantastic!

urahonky on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm about half way through Book 1, and man... It really is a good read. The art is fantastic!

http://www.tonymooreillustration.com

Grifter on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

http://www.tonymooreillustration.com

Wow I may have to get one of those shirts. Thanks for the link. :)

urahonky on
  • Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was browsing my local library looking for something to read when I noticed a graphic novel section, so I said to myself, "whatever I'll bite." They had what I expected X-Men, Superman, and Spider-Man trades but then I noticed Invincible and The Walking Dead, I had heard they both were really linear and hadn't really wanted to shell out the money on top of my weekly addiction to play catch up so I picked up 1 & 2 of The Walking Dead and 1 of Invincible. That was yesterday, I've finished all three trades. I literally read them all cover to cover nonstop and I'm planning on doing it again. Unfortunately #3 of TWD is checked out and I have no idea when it will come back, hopefully soon, but Invincible should tide me over until TWD comes back.
    In the mean time I'm wondering how I can convince my library to carry more, the selection leaves a lot to be desired. The Japanese manga lobby, however, seems to have a lot of pull there, I do not care for this.

Suicide Slyde on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
  • chowder_monkeychowder_monkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, trade vol. 8 isn't coming out till July 30? What horse shit.

LINK

EDIT:

On wiki, it says May 29. Hmmm.

ALSO A LINK
    The guy I asked at Barnes & Noble said it was going to come out on June 4th.

chowder_monkey on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »

So that was pretty good. Usually the 6 page previews of anything suck, but that does the job nicely.

werehippy on
    edited May 2008
    I love this book so much I will not look at any previews.

Even thought you bastards tempt me. :D

Toxic Toys on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    I love this book so much I will not look at any previews.

Even thought you bastards tempt me. :D

I am happy I didn't look at any previews. Awhile back I was watching Blaire Butler's comic podcast and she was talking about one of TWDs that I hadn't read yet (I wait for the trades). I immediately stopped the podcast. I am glad I did. I just finished reading vol. 8 and my God I need to see what happens next.

So, what issue does vol. 8 actually stop at? I wouldn't mind getting a few regular ol' comics of the new issues.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So what did you guys think of the latest issue, and where the book is going?
    The part where Rick was talking to his splattered wife over the phone was pretty awesome. Otherwise it was a damn boring issue. I really want to see what happens next, though

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited August 2008
    It seemed like a necessary 'breather' issue, and based on the cover, we know that something happens next issue.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm a big fan of this series. It's a little off from time to time, but for the most part I love it. The last collected arc was really great...
    Even if it succeeded in killing damn near all the characters and scattering the rest.
    I almost broke down and bought the single issues and I'm glad I waited.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • LunchboxV3LunchboxV3 Mechanical Maniac Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Been reading this since issue 1. I loved it in the beginning but once they got to the prison it just sorta dragged out. It's picking up again which is good.

Sorry for not using a spoiler tab but c'mon.

LunchboxV3 on
    axemblack.gifaxemyellow.gifaxemred.gifaxempink.gifaxemgreen.gif
    edited August 2008
    I fully agree with you. There needed to be some change.
    The Prison was far too perfect. Especially after the convicts were killed off or folded into the family. It allowed the story to stagnate and become a soap opera. But damn, some of the coolest characters are now dead or scattered to the wind. Rick is constantly getting scuffed up. His crippled ways kinda keep him from being the action hero he once was.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I saw Robert Kirkman having dinner at one of the local mexican restaurants (Casa Fiesta) on Wednesday. He waved since he apparently remembered me from when he spoke at my comic book writing class in college (he visited like 4 times). Its pretty neat living in the same town as him. It's probably the ONLY perk of Richmond, Kentucky.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited August 2008
    The Prison was far too perfect. Especially after the convicts were killed off or folded into the family. It allowed the story to stagnate and become a soap opera. But damn, some of the coolest characters are now dead or scattered to the wind. Rick is constantly getting scuffed up. His crippled ways kinda keep him from being the action hero he once was.

In retrospect, I think it was by design - show folks gettng complacent, show them going stir crazy, and then see what happens.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008

In retrospect, I think it was by design - show folks gettng complacent, show them going stir crazy, and then see what happens.

I think that you are right about it being an intentional lull in the chaos. Even knowing what the ultimate result would be, you can't say that the lull was the most exciting part of the series. It definitely reads better in one sitting.

The Dark Hillbilly on
    edited August 2008

I think that you are right about it being an intentional lull in the chaos. Even knowing what the ultimate result would be, you can't say that the lull was the most exciting part of the series. It definitely reads better in one sitting.

I really enjoyed it. It may not have been the most exciting action wise, but a lot went down that really showed you who these people were and what they became.

Toxic Toys on
  • theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    issue 51
    the thing with rick losing his mind thinking he's talking to lori was pretty crazy. really put into perspective all the shit he just went thru. and the teaser next ish pic looked like michonne will be back, which i think is a good thing.
    love this series.

theparttime on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    issue 51
    the thing with rick losing his mind thinking he's talking to lori was pretty crazy. really put into perspective all the shit he just went thru. and the teaser next ish pic looked like michonne will be back, which i think is a good thing.
    love this series.
    Don't forget the fact he took the phone with him at the end of the issue. Even after knowing he was imagining talking to his wife, he still takes the broken phone with him to talk to her later. No beer and no tv make Rick go something, something...

KVW on
  • EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    issue 51
    love this series.
    Don't forget the fact he took the phone with him at the end of the issue. Even after knowing he was imagining talking to his wife, he still takes the broken phone with him to talk to her later. No beer and no tv make Rick go something, something...

Go crazy?
    Don't mind if I do!

I'm pretty sad, because this summer I finally just read through trades 1-8 of TWD, and it was great..but I feel like this series is better suited for trades, so now I must wait...and try/fail at not looking at spoilers.

Ecko on
  • Evil AvatarEvil Avatar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    So that was pretty good. Usually the 6 page previews of anything suck, but that does the job nicely.

Is it just me or does the number of pages in each issue seem to keep getting smaller? I enjoy a good letters column like the next guy, but why are there 6 pages of letters instead of 6 extra pages of story?

To me, the reason the series seems to have slowed down is that they are just giving you so little story in each issue. A 6 page preview is almost the entire comic at this point.

Evil Avatar on
    From the laundrymat... wednesdays and saturdays except twice last month you skipped the weekend.
    -Dr. Horrible

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Evil Avatar - Daily Gaming News.... With Attitude
    Owner/Webmaster
    edited August 2008
    It's just you. Twenty-two pages of art/story per month, and then the other stuff (lettercolumns, pinups, whatever) in addition to that. The letters aren't taking away from anything, he's just taking a tact from Bendis.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg