As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fitness Thread v. 3.0

• MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sanius wrote: »
    Yesterday during my benchpress after doing about five reps of 135, I decided to move up to 145, did two sets of two, felt more like a max. I moved to 155 and did one rep, that's all I could do. I felt plenty sore after that and doing weighted dips. As long as i'm going higher I should expect my bench to go up, even with just one rep?

You'll get stronger but not build endurance. Your muscles will get used to doing one hard push. This is why you want tot do a few reps. I tend to do three sets of 5 since I'm focusing a little more on the strength side.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2008
    As a beginner you don't really get much out of singles.

Tube on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've been working out for a couple weeks since picking up Starting Strength and focusing much more on form, and yesterday if finally just clicked and holy shit that was the best workout ever. I never realized I could lift and still be such a pussy about it before.

Also, I found a kickass set of death stairs about a 15 minute jog from my apartment for off days. Jogging there, running a set of stairs, and jogging back is just about enough to kill me. Is it okay to do a shorter HIIT workout on the stairs bookended by that jog, keeping in mind that I'm an even bigger pussy about aerobic exercise than I am lifting? The 30 minute jog would be a decent workout for me on its own.

JihadJesus on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Same thing happened to me. When I learned correct form I had to take the weight down a little bit on everything and it was still a great workout b/c I wasn't cheating by having other muscles lighten the load.

And during of my lifts I got new muscles sore as shit like it was the first time I had worked them out because the wrong muscles were taking almost the entire load.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited May 2008
    I liked it when I got pretty good at deadlifting and my traps and abs started to get sore.

Tube on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I liked it when I got pretty good at deadlifting and my traps and abs started to get sore.
    Yeah, I got my traps pretty good yesterday on the deadlifts. I still need to be better about keeping my core tight on most of the lifts, but it was definitely an improvement.

JihadJesus on
  • auggywongerauggywonger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey you all,

As part of my plan to get in better shape, I am trying swimming. I tried it for the first time in a long, long, long while today and six laps in, I got really dizzy. The dizzy feeling stayed with me for a while.

Have any of you experienced this problem and if you have, does it get easier if you just continue swimming? I really want to swim because it's such a good workout. If only I didn't feel like my head was about to split open. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

auggywonger on
  • TediakTediak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd like to figure out a good cardio/strength program for myself. I tend to hit a wall when I just do weights because my heart can't keep up. But it's a bitch to run after doing squats. Any suggestions for a program that combines the two effectively? Preferably something easy to remember that I can do in about four days a week or so.

Also what's the deal with kettlebells? Is this just a fad or worth checking out?

Tediak on
    edited May 2008
    alternate cardio and lifting weight days. Or separate them by a few hours. As you train more, your body will get much better at recovery.

It is common to get dizzy when you first start cardio. Your heart and lungs are weak so it makes sense that not enough blood/oxygen will make it to your brain.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I just got done with the Wednesday workout and I have a few questions. My gym didnt have anywhere like in the picture to do incline dumbells so I had to use a chair that was similar but almost straight up it didn't work out too well so is there anything else I can do that is similar. Also there wasnt a machine to do calve raises so I used this to do them, that should work right?

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2008
    try bentover barbell rows, do a google search. if your gym has machine rows those work too. calf raises in a leg press is fine.

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    try bentover barbell rows, do a google search. if your gym has machine rows those work too. calf raises in a leg press is fine.
    I put 180 pounds on the leg press, how much should I be doing? It was pretty easy for the most part but some muscles were burning.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2008
    It should be challenging. enough that after your last set you could do 2 more reps at the most.

Tube on
  • LackadaisicalLackadaisical Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've a couple of questions for the thread that I don't think (maybe they were in the thirty odd pages this thread are) were answered.

1. Soy foods, for the most part I dislike them but they can be cheap, high in protein, etc...is there some negative connotation that I don't know of in regards to them?

2. I have trouble actually motivating myself to work out as I spend most of my time grinding mmo's, hanging out with friends, or working (the latter two not nearly enough).

3. If I were to actually start running I'm not sure I could keep it up as where I live, in the mountains, it's not totally uncommon to see a grizzly bear in the mornings or the evenings, and though I feel that there are a lot of fine ways to die I don't think being torn in half and then ravaged for sustenance, or maybe just the thrill of the kill, is a great way to go out.

Any suggestions?

Lackadaisical on
    It's a warm feeling when you realize that people share your views...
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Sandra Lee and Rachel Ray raped food.
    edited May 2008
    1. I'm not a big fan of soy, but the problems with it are somewhat overstated. Lean meat protein is more best though.

2. Just go. That's all there is to motivation. Motivation is a bullshit word for losers, real men don't think about motivation because they're too busy doing things

3. That's actually pretty much the most awesome possible way to die

Tube on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    1) only if you eat nothing else. Everything in moderation.

2) You CHOOSE to do those things. Choose to work out instead.

3) Buy a gun. Or just work out inside.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lackadaisical, I would strongly suggest reducing (or cutting out completely) the time you spend on MMOs. They're fun, but working out is much more rewarding. I know this from experience.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
    edited May 2008
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    Lackadaisical, I would strongly suggest reducing (or cutting out completely) the time you spend on MMOs. They're fun, but working out is much more rewarding. I know this from experience.

it probably isn't for everyone

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know I used to drink soy milk, but then read a study where it contained HUGE amounts of estrogen and some other stuff, so I stopped. Soy isn't bad in and of itself, but it's better to eat it in as close to its natural form as possible, as opposed to the weird contortions they put it through to make milk, and other soy faux-foods.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know I used to drink soy milk, but then read a study where it contained HUGE amounts of estrogen and some other stuff, so I stopped. Soy isn't bad in and of itself, but it's better to eat it in as close to its natural form as possible, as opposed to the weird contortions they put it through to make milk, and other soy faux-foods.
    That report was not extensive enough to give statistical proof it was just one of those "We should study this more" kind of reports. I've been keeping an eye out for a more extensive study but none have surfaced so far that I have found.

Krikee on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I apologize if this has been addressed in some way before but I was just curious.

I work out 3 days a week a full body work out. Bench- , triceps, deadlift or squat, military shoulder press or some other shoulder variation, biceps, abs and for back I do the following...
    I call it the superman because a friend introduced it to me as that but its basically 10 pullups, 10 push ups, 9 pull ups, 10 push ups etc. all the way down to one, each interval you do 10 push ups. Ive gotten to the point where I can climb back up to about 7 pull ups.

MY question is if Im interested in increasing my max's does the pyramid work out help or hurt me or doesnt really make a difference.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2008
    Before I go in an kill myself doing squats, can I just use a leg press machine instead? Also how much weight should I be doing on squats and the military press? Just a rough idea where I should start.

Fizban140 on
  • -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I tried using soy milk in my lattes far a week.... yeah.... that didnt go so well.

They tasted great and all but gave me REALLY BAD GAS D:D:D:

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    On days that I rest, should I adjust my food intake to be less of that of workout days or the same?

Sanius on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've a couple of questions for the thread that I don't think (maybe they were in the thirty odd pages this thread are) were answered.

1. Soy foods, for the most part I dislike them but they can be cheap, high in protein, etc...is there some negative connotation that I don't know of in regards to them?

2. I have trouble actually motivating myself to work out as I spend most of my time grinding mmo's, hanging out with friends, or working (the latter two not nearly enough).

3. If I were to actually start running I'm not sure I could keep it up as where I live, in the mountains, it's not totally uncommon to see a grizzly bear in the mornings or the evenings, and though I feel that there are a lot of fine ways to die I don't think being torn in half and then ravaged for sustenance, or maybe just the thrill of the kill, is a great way to go out.

Any suggestions?
    It's fine to get some of your protein from soy, but you shouldn't be getting most or all of it from soy.

Instead of thinking of it as exercise, think of it as grinding for fitness.

Thanatos on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

Any suggestions?
    It's fine to get some of your protein from soy, but you shouldn't be getting most or all of it from soy.

Instead of thinking of it as exercise, think of it as grinding for fitness.

Fucking ball crunches need a nerf, the last patch made them way too hard.

Mai-Kero on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Before I go in an kill myself doing squats, can I just use a leg press machine instead?

Jesus no. Unless you hate your spine.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Any suggestions?

Soy is loaded with phytoestrogens, which may mimic human estrogen in the body. as i understand it, there's not enough evidence to say for sure one way or the other, but i do know that hormone levels are not something you want to fuck with. get less than 40% of your daily protein intake from soy sources.

the wook on
    edited May 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Before I go in an kill myself doing squats, can I just use a leg press machine instead?

No
    Also how much weight should I be doing on squats and the military press? Just a rough idea where I should start.

With whatever you can do. Start with the bar.

Tube on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I

Ok, on the days you don't have classes or work, get up and FUCKING DO IT RITE THEN. Before you sit down at your computer. I'm not sure if working out as soon as you get up is a good idea, but its better than not working out at all I'm sure.

On days when you do have class/work... Well the same sort of rule applies, fucking just do it before you sit down at your computer. Don't even think about it, this isn't a choice, this is like work or something. It has to be done then.

This is how i treat my life, mainly because I was lazy as fuck and would game all day. Wake up, do what needs to be done, then do whatever for the rest of the day.

noobert on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Working out whenever is good for you, in the morning your testerone levels are higher, but you energy levels are lower since you haven't eaten, in the evening it's the other way around.

As wook said soy is loaded phytoestrogens, some studies show that the body detects this as estrogen but it doesn't react to the body like estrogen.

Now for guys it's not a problem, because we don't need to much estrogen to begin with, for women approaching menopause a high soy diet can lead to problems because their body is already backing off estrogen levels and this compounds the problem.

Blake T on
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    noobert wrote: »
    I

Ok, on the days you don't have classes or work, get up and FUCKING DO IT RITE THEN. Before you sit down at your computer. I'm not sure if working out as soon as you get up is a good idea, but its better than not working out at all I'm sure.

On days when you do have class/work... Well the same sort of rule applies, fucking just do it before you sit down at your computer. Don't even think about it, this isn't a choice, this is like work or something. It has to be done then.

This is how i treat my life, mainly because I was lazy as fuck and would game all day. Wake up, do what needs to be done, then do whatever for the rest of the day.
    Exactly. Anytime before I sit down, I always get my exercise out of the way, THEN sit around and be lazy. It also makes those times you sit around a lot more enjoyable because you get to knowing you aren't lazy because you got what needed to be done.

Funny thing is, I enjoy my videogames and all my TV a lot more after a work-out, and food seems so much more enjoyable also. It's a win-win

Sanius on
    edited May 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    Working out whenever is good for you, in the morning your testerone levels are higher, but you energy levels are lower since you haven't eaten, in the evening it's the other way around.

As wook said soy is loaded phytoestrogens, some studies show that the body detects this as estrogen but it doesn't react to the body like estrogen.

Now for guys it's not a problem, because we don't need to much estrogen to begin with, for women approaching menopause a high soy diet can lead to problems because their body is already backing off estrogen levels and this compounds the problem.
    There was a study a few years ago that showed that guys who get most of their proteins from soy have significantly less muscle growth than guys who get most of their protein from other sources.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't get some of your protein from soy. Wook's 40% limit seems pretty reasonable to me.

Thanatos on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My weight loss and fitness goals have suddenly and sharply changed for reasons that I'd rather keep private. Not that I don't want people to know. I do, in fact. But my sister lurks on this board and I don't want her to know, because that will mean big problems for me.

I want to be fit. But not overly muscular. I was thinking something less along the lines of bulky and more along the lines of willowy. Like swimmer's muscles except...not. I don't want to be bulky or cut or anything like that. Merely trim and reasonably firm. What kinds of things should I be doing? Radical weight loss is still my first goal. (150-200 lbs worth)

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited May 2008
    You aren't going to turn into a huge gladiator in a year's time by lifting weights. That takes professional assistance and lots of time in the gym. Insane amounts of time. Cardio, great diet, and lifting weights is the best and fastest way to lose weight.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    edited May 2008
    Even if you did accidentally get huge (not going to happen), losing muscle is relatively easy. Weightlifting makes losing weight significantly easier.

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    Ah. Okay. How do you lose muscle, then? Just for the sake of knowledge.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited May 2008
    Stop working out. But, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories your body burns while all the time.

Muscle atrophy is a fairly quick demon

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    edited May 2008
    you get the side benefit of gaining a bunch of fat as your metabolism slows down too

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    you get the side benefit of gaining a bunch of fat as your metabolism slows down too

That's not really acceptable.

I read earlier in the thread that I should lift and then run. Since running at my weight would kill the shit out of my knees and ankles and stuff, is there a viable alternative? Also I'm a little too much of a fag for the posted workout. Pullups are out entirely, and I don't know anything about squat form. The last time I tried to do squats my knees felt fucking wrecked. Also I only know what about 1/3 of the other stuff is.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
This discussion has been closed.