As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Darkest Island - free homebrew PC horror game

luke314piluke314pi Registered User new member
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Darkest_Island2.jpg

Darkest Island is a first person shooter PC game that I made with my little brother and a few friends. My little brother was very adamant about releasing this game online for people to play right away, so here it is. I have decided to make the game a free download. This was my practice run in making a large scale video game, and it is a little rough around the edges. But it is still really fun, and I hope everyone gives it a try.

The minimum system requirements are a 1.2 ghz processor with 512 MB RAM and a video card with 128 MB of video RAM. It also requires the latest DirectX drivers dated December 2006 which can be downloaded here. It will run better on higher specs of course.

Darkest Island is the story of a man named Daniel who wakes up in a bloody hospital bed on a remote island with no knowledge of how he got there. A girl's voice echoes in his mind, begging for him to come and rescue her, and promising to help him get off the island. Daniel finds that this hospital is actually a research facility, and the inhabitants are no longer human. These zombie-like creatures are not the only enemies that Daniel makes. Soon he has armed soldiers hunting him as well. The story of the facility unfolds as Daniel makes his way into the dark center of the island.

Screenshots:

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

screenshot5.jpg

screenshot6.jpg

screenshot7.jpg

screenshot8.jpg

And here is the link to the download (236 MB):

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ozjydz5gwj

Let me know what you think! :)

luke314pi on

• Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do I get to be the first to say site whore? DO I!?!?!?

Probably not. I might download this. Unless it's a ploy to steal my megahurtz.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I am not linking to any site of mine, just the download for the free game.

luke314pi on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So is this standalone or does it require half life? I might give it a try, but not if I have to dig out my hl cd.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    This is standalone. The only requirements are a decent computer and the latest DirectX drivers dated December 2006.

luke314pi on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If I can remember to I'll give this a shot when I get home form work.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'll try it... but im going to furrow my brow the entire time I play.
    Better be worth every penny....

KKprofit on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's a downright sunny darkest island sitting in your title image. The bloooooooood oceaaaan makes me giggle. Downloading.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Alright, before anyone else calls sitewhore, I have no problem with this. The dude signs up and posts about the game he made. However, he's not getting ad revenue, he's not forcing people to sign up to something, it's just a direct download link on mediafire. Try it, talk about it, whatever.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    File was corrupted.

KKprofit on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hundreds of other people have downloaded it and played it just fine...

luke314pi on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    KKprofit wrote:
    File was corrupted.

You probably need to redownload it. I get problems with that from time to time as well.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's a downright sunny darkest island sitting in your title image. The bloooooooood oceaaaan makes me giggle. Downloading.

Blood ocean? That's cranberry juice.

yalborap on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    screenshot5.jpg

Not in the heart, in the face, in the face!

screenshot8.jpg

Thataboy!

Accualt on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know who you arrrreeeeeeee

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh dear. Not very promising. It's a product of FPS Creator, so everything's a little... blocky. And a non-invertable mouse! Nuuuuuuu!

The voice acting is... uhm... not that great. Poor sample quality AND unconvincing delivery.
    I had a hard time telling if I was being attacked or not.
    Currently being attacked by motion sickness so I'll go lie down.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh dear. Not very promising. It's a product of FPS Creator, so everything's a little... blocky. And a non-invertable mouse! Nuuuuuuu!

The voice acting is... uhm... not that great. Poor sample quality AND unconvincing delivery.
    I had a hard time telling if I was being attacked or not.
    Currently being attacked by motion sickness so I'll go lie down.

Voice acting in a fan made game isn't really expected to be good. Besides the non invertable mouse, how is the rest of the gameplay?

solsovly on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    solsovly wrote:
    Voice acting in a fan made game isn't really expected to be good.
    But there are other ways to communicate story. A game that uses text or other means is far more immersive to me than one with bad voice acting.

For example, Minerva.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png