As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Evil is Resident for the 4th time...(April 10th interview)

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

FFS, when are they gonna stop calling it Resident Evil because apart from including protagonists from it, it stopped being anything like RE long ago. Co-Op play? Its not gears of war, its meant to be a god damn survival horror not an action horror.

Fuck you Capcom.

DarkWarrior on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

FFS, when are they gonna stop calling it Resident Evil because apart from including protagonists from it, it stopped being anything like RE long ago. Co-Op play? Its not gears of war, its meant to be a god damn survival horror not an action horror.

Fuck you Capcom.

Somebody call the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE.

Couscous on
    edited May 2008

Fuck you Capcom.

Somebody call the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE.

You can keep whatever this game is Titmouse, I don't care, but I want the fucking unfinished series back with emphasis on survival, science and zombies and not hormonal spaniards, fucking naturally occuring super mutating parasites and piledrivers.

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2008
    The enemies in Resident Evil have never been actual zombies.

Couscous on
    edited May 2008
    The enemies in Resident Evil have never been actual zombies.

Ok.

If you're actually pulling the voodoo definition on me its kinda pointless and purposely missing the point at the same time.

DarkWarrior on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DarkWarrior knows what he's talking about, i agree with him.

Deaderinred on
    edited May 2008
    The people in RE4 are controlled against their will by a person, are not against cannabilism, and the condition can be passed onto other people. That sounds pretty close to what a zombie is to me. The main difference is that the zombies in RE4 aren't hard simply because of the camera.

Couscous on
    edited May 2008
    The people in RE4 are controlled against their will by a person, are not against cannabilism, and the condition can be passed onto other people. That sounds pretty close to what a zombie is to me. The main difference is that the zombies in RE4 aren't hard simply because of the camera.

The design and context makes them entirely different.

Zombies in the RE1-2-3 sense were once real people and they're decayed, having watched their friends and family be fed upon before reviving and feeding on the survivors and some have tragically infected themselves. THey're pathetic husks, falling apart and dangerous in large numbers.

The Ganados or whatever as far as I'm aware are never shown as anything but infected and they're fully functioning and capable and fucking tentacles pop out of their neck and they mount assaults against the player.

They're not the same thing. In function or design. The story has also gone completely off from the arc t was on, only throwing in a tie in by sliding Wesker in there to grab one of these things. Thats the only connection at all to the previous narrative. The bosses are fucking ogres in lava pits and armed monks and armored, blind things.

I don't even know why I'm getting into this. You like this, all power to you, they and you can keep it, but it should never have been called Resident Evil and RE should have continued. I don't care if they changed stuff up in it but suplexes and enemies dropping ammo and weird guys who you buy guns and upgrades from? Its not DMC-Lite.

DarkWarrior on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Series progress.

LewieP on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Crows are loaded in RE4. Like, seriously loaded. Packing heat, too.

Will there be crows with heaters and money in RE5? I sure hope so.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Decaying husks that walk really slowly don't make for good enemies. The only reason they were hard in the first games was because of the camera making the controls harder.

Couscous on
    edited May 2008
    What about those other bad guys, like hunters? Those things weren't slow!

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    What about those other bad guys, like hunters? Those things weren't slow!
    They also look nothing like zombies.

Couscous on
    edited May 2008
    Or lickers! or leech guys! Those were all pre-RE4!

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jesus, we get it. Some people don't like RE4 (and won't like RE5). Other people think those people are dumb.

How many times do we have to hear this in G&T? Nobody's changing their fucking minds, that's pretty clear. If anyone was going to be convinced to feel differently about the direction this series has taken by some posts on a forum, he already would have changed his mind two goddamned years ago.

So let's drop it once and for all? Please?

Captain K on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hope they don't forget about some of the cooler older people and they either appear in game or we get a file or document about them. Jill , Barry, Rebbecca, Carlos , Hunk and other assorted badass people.

Speaking of documents Umbrella / other evil people really should start taking better care of important information instead of just leaving everything laying around. And then they wonder how the virus gets lose and kills everyone tsk tsk.

EspantaPajaro on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with me? I bought RE4 for the Wii, and can't for the life of me get into it. Maybe it ramps up later in the game, or something - I've gotten as far that weird system of wooden bridges and gates and zombies running around with big firecracker looking things.

I just don't dig it.

Really loved all the others though.
    you should send it to me since i haven't played any version of RE4 yet

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    I hope they don't forget about some of the cooler older people and they either appear in game or we get a file or document about them. Jill , Barry, Rebbecca, Carlos , Hunk and other assorted badass people.

Speaking of documents Umbrella / other evil people really should start taking better care of important information instead of just leaving everything laying around. And then they wonder how the virus gets lose and kills everyone tsk tsk.
    What abotu Billy Cohen?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    All I need to be happy is Wesker and Hunk. I'd be happy if Leon made a small return, but getting his own movie is good enough for me.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Forgot about Billy and he is the only one who has an actual tie to Africa , it would be cool if they explained a bit more about him.

EspantaPajaro on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm a bit nervous for RE5 on account of it's not being made by the same folks that made RE4.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    basically it will be a clone of re4 only set in africa and with chris redfield and HD

in other words, it will be the best ever

Nuzak on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »
    basically it will be a clone of re4 only set in africa and with chris redfield and HD

in other words, it will be the best ever

Will it also have lines that sound like they're out of some cheesy 80s action film.

Because if it doesn't...*shakes fist*

Dragkonias on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They were dead wrong.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They were dead wrong.

You know...for some reason the CSI:Miami opening theme popped into my head after you said taht.

Dragkonias on
    edited May 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    They were dead wrong.

You know...for some reason the CSI:Miami opening theme popped into my head after you said taht.

Really? I pulled it from the trailer for The Punisher, but it's the ultimate cheesy line.

UnbreakableVow on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They were dead wrong.

Really? I pulled it from the trailer for The Punisher, but it's the ultimate cheesy line.

No. I'm not certain what is the ultimate cheesy line, but it's in Commando.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    tarnok wrote: »
    They were dead wrong.

No. I'm not certain what is the ultimate cheesy line, but it's in Commando.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-tRErs5UcI

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
    edited May 2008
    Decaying husks that walk really slowly don't make for good enemies. The only reason they were hard in the first games was because of the camera making the controls harder.

Eh whatever, they were as difficult as could be given the engine which takes into account the camera angles. They could make them run if you want like a crimson head, still a zombie.

Hunters I didn't like, they're very out of place even compared to Mr X but they all have a certain context and biological history and the games are just very different to what RE4 became. Seriously, can you not see a difference between the police chief driven insane and the remnants of the police force that withstood the zombie assault and doing spin-kicks and weapon upgrades from a cloaked guy with glowing eyes? You really can't see how that big a change might not be suitable for people who actually liked the series before hand?

DarkWarrior on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Let us all remember the first game they put the Resident Evil name on.

I can't think of a single facet of the actual gameplay or mechanics I'm not happy they are moving away from. Oh, sure, loved that game. But seriously. Nowhere to go but up.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited May 2008
    Leon does spin kicks because he is a badass secret agent man.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Eh whatever, they were as difficult as could be given the engine which takes into account the camera angles. They could make them run if you want like a crimson head, still a zombie.

Hunters I didn't like, they're very out of place even compared to Mr X but they all have a certain context and biological history and the games are just very different to what RE4 became. Seriously, can you not see a difference between the police chief driven insane and the remnants of the police force that withstood the zombie assault and doing spin-kicks and weapon upgrades from a cloaked guy with glowing eyes? You really can't see how that big a change might not be suitable for people who actually liked the series before hand?

First, bolded. Don't compare story to game mechanics, they're not the same issue. Compare the police station to what you see over RE4's credits if that's where you want to go. I found 4 to be quite sombre in that regard.

Second, up to code veronica, that's 4 games before spin kicks. 4 is Aliens to 1-CV's Alien. You got plenty, so relax.
    Personally, I'm pretty happy with both RE types, especially after finding Nemesis to be a bit off. It's possible I found the new action focus not really compatible, I'm not sure, but RE3 is the only one I didn't bother finishing.

Third, posting this with the Wii remote was a pain in the balls.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I do wish it was a little like the old RE games. :( I miss survival horror games... But they seem to be making a comeback lately. We have that Silent Hill game coming soon, Obscure came out(which was awesome), and then Alone in the Dark. Left 4 Dead, and supposedly a source remake of "They Hunger" (HL1 mod that was awesome).

urahonky on
    edited May 2008
    Raybies666 wrote: »

First, bolded. Don't compare story to game mechanics, they're not the same issue. Compare the police station to what you see over RE4's credits if that's where you want to go. I found 4 to be quite sombre in that regard.

Second, up to code veronica, that's 4 games before spin kicks. 4 is Aliens to 1-CV's Alien. You got plenty, so relax.
    Personally, I'm pretty happy with both RE types, especially after finding Nemesis to be a bit off. It's possible I found the new action focus not really compatible, I'm not sure, but RE3 is the only one I didn't bother finishing.

Third, posting this with the Wii remote was a pain in the balls.

I'm not defending all the previous games. Most after RE2 were rehashes or different takes on the same story or completely out there. They started the detour when they brought Wesker in as some super human guy when they can barely perfect Mr X's. The protagonists however are presented as relatively normal humans placed in a situation of extreme survival against a resistant, mutating virus and the reanimated, sometimes monstrously mutated corpses of civilians and generally in the last act it goes all out with over the top science and such. The problem is they didn't improve those games, they completely changed what they are about with 4. It's Wikipedia so ya know, not great evidence, but apparently 5 concerns volcanic activity awakening a long dormant virus. So thats two naturally occuring mutating viruses now? Its lost the plot and ignoring the rest of the plot and while I know each RE iteration systematically rapes what has come before, I just can't play RE4. I tried and I just couldn't get into it and since they've pretty much abandoned the previous plots apart from characters, it looks like RE is pretty much dead for me.

Which sucks.

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2008
    Jesus fucking Christ who cares.

UnbreakableVow on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You know what they could have done? Named RE4 something like: "The Spanish Inquisition" and it would have been a good game on its own, that way they didn't bring this... well, lack of zombies into the RE formula. But I guess they were hoping to make the game sell, so slapping RE on it helps.

urahonky on
    edited May 2008
    Resident Evil 4 was fun. Hopefully Resident Evil 5 will be just as fun, and maybe even funnerer.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited May 2008

People who liked RE as was?

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2008
    Well it's changed. Time for acceptance.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited May 2008

People who liked RE as was?

Play RE1-CV and get the fuck over it, Jesus Christ. RE4 was a winning formula that nearly everyone loved and sold tons of copies. From RE5 it's apparent they're not going back to the old formula.

Get over it.

UnbreakableVow on