As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Evil is Resident for the 4th time...(April 10th interview)

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jesus fucking Christ who cares.

People who liked RE as was?

Play RE1-CV and get the fuck over it, Jesus Christ. RE4 was a winning formula that nearly everyone loved and sold tons of copies. From RE5 it's apparent they're not going back to the old formula.

Get over it.

Bah. C'mon, he's allowed to bitch that his favorite series is turning out the way it is. If ah.... Well, I'm not quite sure what game you like a lot... But if that game changed it's formula drastically like this one did, then you'd be bitching too.

urahonky on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Jesus fucking Christ who cares.

People who liked RE as was?

Play RE1-CV and get the fuck over it, Jesus Christ. RE4 was a winning formula that nearly everyone loved and sold tons of copies. From RE5 it's apparent they're not going back to the old formula.

Get over it.

Bah. C'mon, he's allowed to bitch that his favorite series is turning out the way it is. If ah.... Well, I'm not quite sure what game you like a lot... But if that game changed it's formula drastically like this one did, then you'd be bitching too.

Don't bother. Their one game easily overwrites the rest of the series and fuck anyone who isn't happy that they slapped the name on a game that had nothing to do with them.

The prototype had fucking ghosts in.

DarkWarrior on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zoooooombie ghoooooosts.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How can you be upset they changed the series?

I'm not fan of RE4, but it's at least approaching playable. Before RE4, the series was locked in a perpetual state of 1996 and it wasn't doing itself any favors.

And I can't fathom anyone could be sad they ignored the story of the previous games in RE4 because holy shit were they stupid. But so was RE4's. I guess they're all still stupid.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That is so untrue. "You were almost a Jill sandwich" is up there with "I am your father" in great lines.

Couscous on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just wish new RE kept the same creepy atmosphere as the old ones. RE4 was too much action and not enough tension. Limiting ammo and supplies = scarier game. Though I have to give RE4 credit, the Regenerators were fucking creepy as hell. But yeah, RE4 just vomited ammo at you.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited May 2008
    I just want to know how they're going to fit in Capcom's standard puzzles into RE5.

When you're living in a shitty shanty town in Not-Haiti or Not-Africa, you're not locking the doors to your shack made of corregated steel siding and haphazardly strung together wood with an emblem broken into three pieces and scattered around the village and you're not going to lock the doors to your bedroom with an elaborate statue pushing puzzle that requires you to bring a friend.

I honestly don't think Capcom is capable of constructing a believable place so they no doubt are going to put in those puzzles and some third-world robots.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Obviously all those puzzles will be in the secret ancient temple that sits above the secret underground laboratory (because there is always an underground laboratory)

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    basically it will be a clone of re4 only set in africa and with chris redfield and HD

in other words, it will be the best ever

Will it also have lines that sound like they're out of some cheesy 80s action film.

Because if it doesn't...*shakes fist*

Oh God I hope so. RE4 is so quotable.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    Obviously all those puzzles will be in the secret ancient temple that sits above the secret underground laboratory (because there is always an underground laboratory)

Exactly.

I loved RE4, but my favorite of the series is still RE:CV. Redfield team up + Umbrella secret base = awesome.

That, and at least playing it on the Dreamcast, the way Disc 1 ended, it really gave it an episodic feel. So awesome.

But yeah, there's going to be an ancient place, with complicated keys.

And green herbs.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    I just want to know how they're going to fit in Capcom's standard puzzles into RE5.

When you're living in a shitty shanty town in Not-Haiti or Not-Africa, you're not locking the doors to your shack made of corregated steel siding and haphazardly strung together wood with an emblem broken into three pieces and scattered around the village and you're not going to lock the doors to your bedroom with an elaborate statue pushing puzzle that requires you to bring a friend.

I honestly don't think Capcom is capable of constructing a believable place so they no doubt are going to put in those puzzles and some third-world robots.

i am sure the zombies still carry around ingots in their pockets as well as emeralds and other strangely elaborate forms of treasure

so we can therefore assume they have money to burn

and instead of using it to finance their ganados with weapons other than pitchforks they are creating crank puzzles

it all makes sense if you use your head

Nuzak on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They used the Covenant design of making going to the objective so boring that the people just give up.

Couscous on
    edited May 2008
    I always loved thinking about the day to day life of people involved in the Resident Evil games. For years before STARS stumbled upon them...

"Bill left his cell phone in the lab. Do you know where the key to the lab is?"
    "Shit. I think it's in the bathtub upstairs. Drain the pool, then get the crank out from the bottom. Use it in the hexigon-shaped hole. Down by where we keep the dogs, there's a battery. Grab that, then go through the passage the crank opened and put it in the slot. Now the elevator is back on. Just remember to put all this stuff back where you found it after he gets his phone."

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I always loved thinking about the day to day life of people involved in the Resident Evil games. For years before STARS stumbled upon them...

"Bill left his cell phone in the lab. Do you know where the key to the lab is?"
    "Shit. I think it's in the bathtub upstairs. Drain the pool, then get the crank out from the bottom. Use it in the hexigon-shaped hole. Down by where we keep the dogs, there's a battery. Grab that, then go through the passage the crank opened and put it in the slot. Now the elevator is back on. Just remember to put all this stuff back where you found it after he gets his phone."
    Too bad that makes the entire 50 mile radius of secret hideout explode, though.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just wish new RE kept the same creepy atmosphere as the old ones. RE4 was too much action and not enough tension. Limiting ammo and supplies = scarier game. Though I have to give RE4 credit, the Regenerators were fucking creepy as hell. But yeah, RE4 just vomited ammo at you.

SCREW YOU!

YOU! Good sir, are the reason survival horror games suck! Entering a room with 40 zombies and 20 bullets isnt fun, it isnt scary, it isnt tense. It is retarded A horror game should be scary, I should be scared walking around, even if I have 200 bullets.

Bioshock was tense and creepy, even though I COULD SHOOT BEES OUT OF MY FREAKING HANDS! It was still scary! Why? Oh, silly ol horror concepts like atmosphere and storytelling

The Haunted House in VtM:Bloodlines was scary as crap, even though I was the vampire, I could turn into a blood monster and shoot blood at people and have my blood eat their blood and give it back to me so i have more blood and then I can make them vomit blood. Oh yeah, and I could shoot people. But the game was still scary.

A poor ammo to enemy ratio is not an exercise is horror, it is an exercise in poor resource management and logistical error.

CangoFett on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    CangoFett wrote: »

SCREW YOU!

YOU! Good sir, are the reason survival horror games suck! Entering a room with 40 zombies and 20 bullets isnt fun, it isnt scary, it isnt tense. It is retarded A horror game should be scary, I should be scared walking around, even if I have 200 bullets.

Bioshock was tense and creepy, even though I COULD SHOOT BEES OUT OF MY FREAKING HANDS! It was still scary! Why? Oh, silly ol horror concepts like atmosphere and storytelling

The Haunted House in VtM:Bloodlines was scary as crap, even though I was the vampire, I could turn into a blood monster and shoot blood at people and have my blood eat their blood and give it back to me so i have more blood and then I can make them vomit blood. Oh yeah, and I could shoot people. But the game was still scary.

A poor ammo to enemy ratio is not an exercise is horror, it is an exercise in poor resource management and logistical error.

The problem is its poor management on your end. If you don't have enough bullets you're wasting too many or not running away enough. SURVIVAL. You don't have unlimited rations either, I guess thats a bad logistical error also.

DarkWarrior on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Speaking of RE4 vomiting ammo at you, they actually significantly reduced the amount of ammo drops you get in the PS2 and Wii versions, instead opting for money drops, which you use to upgrade weapons (so that the difficulty balances out)

slash000 on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Speaking of RE4 vomiting ammo at you, they actually significantly reduced the amount of ammo drops you get in the PS2 and Wii versions, instead opting for money drops, which you use to upgrade weapons (so that the difficulty balances out)

Yeah, totally. I played through the Cube version like 8 times and never had ammo problems. On the Wii playthrough it was like... holy hell I have no ammos! But all my guns are upgraded max.

It made a few situations more tense, and others (especially boss fights) a lot easier on account of the powerful weapons.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2008
    CangoFett wrote: »
    snip

The thing is, you shouldn't be entering a room with 40 zombies and 20 bullets. You shouldn't be entering rooms chock full of zombies at all. They should be dispersed throughout the level, so that when you DO encounter one or two of 'em, you have to decide whether to run or try to take them out. But if you use your gun, maybe you won't have enough ammo for the boss fight. Maybe you have to use your knife. Whatever.

IMO, Resident Evil 1 was the scariest out of the series (not.. talking cutscenes or anything, just while playing), because you had shit for ammo, you were in a big huge house and you didn't have a clue where the zombies were or how many of them there were. Not knowing shit makes it so much scarier, and in the case of ammo, not knowing if you'll have enough to defend yourself against whatever you meet. It makes you play the game cautiously.

Walking around with 6000 bullets for the 50 different guns you have is not scary because you clearly have enough firepower to blast through whatever the hell you meet. Walking around as the angel of destruction kills whatever atmosphere there is because "ha, I can just shoot it in the head".

There's a reason why the only way I could play through an RE game as a kid was with a gameshark: because it gave me all the weapons and I wasn't scared anymore 'cause I could take down everything. RE4 just felt like an action movie, aside from a couple freaky enemies (who weren't so freaky after you got some bigger guns...)

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • ZuorZuor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just play RE4 on Pro. Then you can't say you have too much ammo. On pro, every headshot counts and I basically tried to do as many kicks/suplexes as possible (or just knife the mobs when they're down), since otherwise I'd just run out of ammo terribly fast.

Zuor on
    edited May 2008
    The thing is, you shouldn't be entering a room with 40 zombies and 20 bullets. You shouldn't be entering rooms chock full of zombies at all. They should be dispersed throughout the level, so that when you DO encounter one or two of 'em, you have to decide whether to run or try to take them out. But if you use your gun, maybe you won't have enough ammo for the boss fight. Maybe you have to use your knife. Whatever.

IMO, Resident Evil 1 was the scariest out of the series (not.. talking cutscenes or anything, just while playing), because you had shit for ammo, you were in a big huge house and you didn't have a clue where the zombies were or how many of them there were. Not knowing shit makes it so much scarier, and in the case of ammo, not knowing if you'll have enough to defend yourself against whatever you meet. It makes you play the game cautiously.

Walking around with 6000 bullets for the 50 different guns you have is not scary because you clearly have enough firepower to blast through whatever the hell you meet. Walking around as the angel of destruction kills whatever atmosphere there is because "ha, I can just shoot it in the head".

There's a reason why the only way I could play through an RE game as a kid was with a gameshark: because it gave me all the weapons and I wasn't scared anymore 'cause I could take down everything. RE4 just felt like an action movie, aside from a couple freaky enemies (who weren't so freaky after you got some bigger guns...)
    But then all you do is run. Running from slow moving guys isn't scary.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    I found actually having to fight guys in RE4 to be pretty scary.

Because every time I found a new encounter, I never knew if the controls would be sufficient for what the game wanted me to do. Usually they were, but I found a lot of the game to be incredibly frustrating as I struggled with the tank controls through most of the game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's not always easy to run away from zombies. They'll find you eventually.

urahonky on
    edited May 2008
    Goomba wrote: »

#1 - Thats why the addition of the red headed zombies in REmake was the scariest thing EVER when I didn't expect it.

#2 - I remember being holed up in a room, little to no ammo, knowing there were 2 zombies in the hall between me and the door I needed, and if I didnt round the corner PERFECTLY, and click on the door on my first try, I was fucked. I knew I could run by, and I knew what I had to do, but I was so terrified I was going to screw it up - and EVEN MORE terrified that I was running to a door that I had NO IDEA WHAT WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF.

mxmarks on
    edited May 2008

So they'll find you. Like, in a room. Let's say 40 of them. Then, since you're meant to run a lot, you don't have enough ammo. Let's say 20 shots.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The "house of the dead" section of RE4 represents in my eyes, everything that's right about the game, and why it's so much better than the other Resident Evils.

"So there's a bajillion pitchfork wielding maniacs outside the house tryin to break in with the intention to commit some serious ass-forking. That's ok, I'll just shove these cupboards against the windows and doors. Ok, so they broke through those, good thing I've got a gun and ample ammo and medical goodies.

Hmm...they're still coming, I better go upstairs, pick them off from the vantage point up there. Oh, they're coming from the upstairs windows now too? I'll just throw the ladders they were using to climb up down...oh right, the maniacs that were ass-forking me downstairs are right behind me now, better attend to them.

Oh, the ladder climbing bumpkins propped the ladders back up and are climbing through the window again...hmm...

THEY'RE ALL AROUND ME, THEY'RE ALL AROUND ME! *frantically reloads Red-9...elbows hispanic hillbilly gnawing on his neck the fuck away*

DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HOLD OUT...THIS MIGHT BE THE END...

*Hispanic ass-forking bumpkins decide to call it a day after half their population must have been wiped out by my Hispanic metrosexual friend and myself*

--

Fucking awesome.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
    edited May 2008
    People from Spain aren't Hispanic.

They're Spanish. Because they're from Spain and people from Spain are Spanish.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited May 2008

I'm Spanish :P

Well...technically I'm Gibraltarian.

The inhabitants of RE4's village are clearly from NotSpain where they still use Spain's defunct currency due to their self-imposed inbreeding leech isolation.

:D

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

And they speak Mexican.

Henroid on
    edited May 2008
    Henroid wrote: »

And they speak Mexican.

And then there's that, it's defiantely more of a mexican accent than anything else.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The "house of the dead" section of RE4 represents in my eyes, everything that's right about the game, and why it's so much better than the other Resident Evils.

"So there's a bajillion pitchfork wielding maniacs outside the house tryin to break in with the intention to commit some serious ass-forking. That's ok, I'll just shove these cupboards against the windows and doors. Ok, so they broke through those, good thing I've got a gun and ample ammo and medical goodies.

Hmm...they're still coming, I better go upstairs, pick them off from the vantage point up there. Oh, they're coming from the upstairs windows now too? I'll just throw the ladders they were using to climb up down...oh right, the maniacs that were ass-forking me downstairs are right behind me now, better attend to them.

Oh, the ladder climbing bumpkins propped the ladders back up and are climbing through the window again...hmm...

THEY'RE ALL AROUND ME, THEY'RE ALL AROUND ME! *frantically reloads Red-9...elbows hispanic hillbilly gnawing on his neck the fuck away*

*Hispanic ass-forking bumpkins decide to call it a day after half their population must have been wiped out by my Hispanic metrosexual friend and myself*

--

Fucking awesome.

That's probably my favorite part of the game. I absolutely loved it.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited May 2008
    My favorite part was the invisible bugs after I had to reload because I was low on ammo and it's right after that so I got to have low ammo on shit that I can't see instaed, but at least there was no worthless thing following me trying to get shot.

That was great.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

So they'll find you. Like, in a room. Let's say 40 of them. Then, since you're meant to run a lot, you don't have enough ammo. Let's say 20 shots.

This got a hardy laugh out of me.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited May 2008
    My favorite part was the invisible bugs after I had to reload because I was low on ammo and it's right after that so I got to have low ammo on shit that I can't see instaed, but at least there was no worthless thing following me trying to get shot.

That was great.

Worthless thing?

But Goomba, Ashley was the greatest bit of escort mission AI ever!

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited May 2008
    @ thread title: Isn't this the fifth time?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • PoisonFistPoisonFist __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I like the old RE formula just as much as the new one.

Because I'm not a candlesniffing fuckfence like that other guy. You know who I'm talking about.

PoisonFist on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah so do I , its amazing how people seem to just choose one extreme and say fuck the rest.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited May 2008
    @post read the first sentence.

And you're right Pancake, I'd forgotten.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    @post read the first sentence.

And you're right Pancake, I'd forgotten.

@reply OP man can change the thread title any time he so pleases.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »

--

Fucking awesome.

That's probably my favorite part of the game. I absolutely loved it.

I actually converted a bunch of Resident Evil hating friends, simply because they watched me play this section.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__