As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is this quote from??

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
This is driving me nuts... what is this quote from? I've been googling for like an hour now.
"'And how do you see yourself in 50 years' time?'
'Dead, probably, the way I'm going on.'
'And what is your aim in life?'
'Apart from being rich and famous...I wouldn't mind that actually. Or winning the National Lottery jackpot. I wouldn't mind being a vampire.'
'A vampire?'"

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I tried several IMDB quote searches and didn't come up with anything :(

Daemonion on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Googling it brings up a couple people quoting it in forums and such, but never citing it. It's infuriating!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For some reason I think it might be from "A million little pieces" by James Frey. Don't ask how I know, I just have an incredible memory for the useless.

Gigaton on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gigaton wrote: »
    For some reason I think it might be from "A million little pieces" by James Frey. Don't ask how I know, I just have an incredible memory for the useless.

My searching hasn't found anything connecting the quote to that... but I'm still looking.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm getting the same search results, just forum references.

Was this a movie? TV? Printed in a book or comic?

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
    edited May 2008
    I wish I knew.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i did the same things as you guys, and i am really curious now

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's... driving me insane! I swear I've heard that somewhere before. >.<

Aurin on
    edited May 2008
    I can't fucking find this. This is nuts.

Daemonion on
    edited May 2008
    The only place I've found a partial quote is the Gamespot forums... and jeebus I'm not making an account there. I'll sit here and go insane with google first. >.<

Aurin on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Up Series comes to mind. One clue is that the National Lottery is UK.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I will have this by the end of the day.

Daemonion on
    edited May 2008
    Aurin wrote: »
    The only place I've found a partial quote is the Gamespot forums... and jeebus I'm not making an account there. I'll sit here and go insane with google first. >.<

I got in contact with him and.... he didn't know where it was from. :x

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Interview with the Vampire

This should be easy. Or at least that's what I found.

Kyanilis on
    edited May 2008
    Good God is that what it is??

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not a very good book.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2008
    Kyanilis wrote: »

That would make sense since I've read all those books... now I gotta find out where. >.>

Aurin on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm sorry.. I've read that book 20 times and that quote rings no bells. And it shouldn't, considering the bulk of the took takes place between the 1700's and 1800's. Unless you can quote a page number, I call shenanigans.

Edit: In fact, considering Interview With the Vampire was published in 1976, and the National Lottery wasn't started until 1997, I actually feel very comfortable calling bullshit on this.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2008
    Wasn't it a movie, though?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Searching the scripts online shows nothing for either Anne Rice movie, it's frustrating because I'm sure I've seen or heard that quote before now.

Edit: And I've never seen those movies either, just read the books. A quick flip through gave me no clues either, I couldn't think of a character that would fit.

Aurin on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

I'm sorry.. I've read that book 20 times and that quote rings no bells. And it shouldn't, considering the bulk of the took takes place between the 1700's and 1800's. Unless you can quote a page number, I call shenanigans.

Edit: In fact, considering Interview With the Vampire was published in 1976, and the National Lottery wasn't started until 1997, I actually feel very comfortable calling bullshit on this.

Yeah after further research you must be right. It was just a quick google search that turned up that answer, so now I'm not so sure.

Kyanilis on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

Yahoo answers says it's in the movie?

edit: I don't see it in the imdb for the movie, though :|

MrDelish on
    edited May 2008
    Wasn't it a movie, though?

It was, but that doesn't change much... the only character it could be in reference to (i.e. the only character not to be a vampire prior to the 1800's) was the reporter, played by Christian Slater. He wouldn't have said those lines regardless.

And again, Interview the movie came out in 1994, and the National Lottery was again established in 1997.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2008
    Could the quote be referencing this one though?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lottery_(Ireland)

Aurin on
    edited May 2008
    Aurin wrote: »
    Could the quote be referencing this one though?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lottery_(Ireland)

sure... just find a single Irish character in Interview with the Vampire.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, I'm just saying, the quote is not from the book, or the movie.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I was just trying to find another angle to search out references. :P Bleh this quote is annoying in its familiarity.:x

Aurin on
    edited May 2008
    This is going to make my hair fall out.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm starting to suspect somebody just wrote it on the internet, and people kept quoting it assuming it was from something.

Smasher on
    edited May 2008
    So do we give up?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    99% sure it's not in Interview with the Vampire.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited May 2008
    My friend just watched that movie and he said it isn't from it.

Daemonion on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's not from shaun of the dead is it?

E.Coyote on
  • locopostallocopostal Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    nah, I dug up a script for shaun of the dead, no mention of vampires at all..:S

locopostal on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    is it possible it has something to do with radiohead?

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    is it possible it has something to do with radiohead?

Here's your presumed reference:

http://www.fotolog.com/kikewave88/14858322
    11/7/06
    The irony of Radiohead: "And how do you see yourself in 50 years' time? "Dead, Probably, the way I'm going on." "And what is the aim of your life?" "Apart from Being rich and famous ... That I would not mind winning the National Lottery actually.Or jackpot.I would not Mind Being a vampire. " "A vampire?"

They've done hundreds of interviews. If this is from 2006 or before, it would be tricky to track down if it wasn't a major publication or TV appearance.

Furthermore, several references to Radiohead pop up when you search for "And how do you see yourself in 50 years' time?"

Like here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101226033956AAwCEkv
    Airbag is a Radiohead song I'm familiar with.
    And here: http://www.okcupid.com/profile/jigsawfalling/journal/16824193140000084908/
    The guy's name, Jigsaw, is another Radiohead title.

It looks like that part which keeps popping up is pulled from a Radiohead CD cover...
    http://eek19.tripod.com/thoughts.html
    All thoughts are taken from Radiohead CD covers, sleeves, lyrics, and official sites. They are all by Radiohead and Stanley Donwood, enjoy.

Conclusion?

Maybe tied to an interview. Perhaps from another country, the original quote found there is on a website that cites a lot from Spain.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
This discussion has been closed.