As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinball at PAX?

PinballWyzardPinballWyzard Registered User new member
edited May 2008 in PAX Archive
I am heading out to PAX for the first time this year. I am really excited to hang out with other gamers and see what people up to.

Pinball is one of those gaming experiences I love most. I rarely have exposed someone to pinball without them loving it - especially other gamers. Once people get a chance to dig in a little, learn the rules and goals of a game it becomes that full gaming experience. Its not just a ball bouncing around randomly. I still think many people are clueless about the mechanics, and how to play a pinball machine.

My question is: Does pinball have a presence at all at PAX outside of virtual representation in software?

I even sent an email to Stern pinball today to ask them to check this out.

So what does everyone think? I think PAX (from what I have gathered) would be the PERFECT place for pinball exposure.

PinballWyzard on

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pinball is awesome.

There were some pinball machines at pax05, none have been back since :(

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    435435 [E] Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If an Attack From Mars machine were to show up, I would be ecstatic.

If it suddenly and inexplicably disappears soon after, I have nothing to do with it, I swears.

And I'll use my equally sudden and inexplicable back injury as proof that I couldn't have. <_<

435 on
    catsig.jpg
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I LOVE pinball!

I'm not very good, and have been known to get blisters from playing, but who cares?

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It would be nice to have a formal "arcade room" on the same floor as the freeplay rooms. The scattered arcade machines last year were okay, but I'd love to see a room that birngs back the classic arcades of yesteryear (I still have fond memories of the massive arcade at Nathan's...)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pinball would definitely be awesome. Can we get the cheesy yet satisfying "Star Trek: The Next Generation" pinball game in there? It'd be great, if for no other reason than the insistent "Engage!" when you shoot off the pinball to start the game. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, an arcade-style room would be boss.

Also pinball. Although, I might never leave that room if that were the case.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Last year my friend and I would take our meal breaks at Shorty's. Bus rides are free downtown if you don't want to actually walk the distance.

Or, if you happen to be in town on Thursday, join us at the Pre-Pax drunkard extravaganza

Shorty's curently has the following pinball games:

Addams Family
    Champion Pub
    Evel Knievel
    Family Guy
    Fathom
    Junk Yard
    Lord of the Rings
    Medieval Madness
    Monster Bash
    Pirates
    Revenge from Mars
    Speakeasy
    Spiderman
    Star Trek the Next Generation
    Surf Champ
    Wheel of Fortune

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What? No Twilight Zone? Blasphemy!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No love for Jurassic Park, I see.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No no no....

It's all about Whirlwind

The only game badass enough to add a fan, to blow away the stank. From the hardcore player that play for hours.

Highfire on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Misterioso wrote: »
    Last year my friend and I would take our meal breaks at Shorty's. Bus rides are free downtown if you don't want to actually walk the distance.

Or, if you happen to be in town on Thursday, join us at the Pre-Pax drunkard extravaganza

Shorty's curently has the following pinball games:

Addams Family
    Champion Pub
    Evel Knievel
    Family Guy
    Fathom
    Junk Yard
    Lord of the Rings
    Medieval Madness
    Monster Bash
    Pirates
    Revenge from Mars
    Speakeasy
    Spiderman
    Star Trek the Next Generation
    Surf Champ
    Wheel of Fortune

Increase speed to warp factor 9.2 and Engage! (Translation: I'm all over that)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Revenge from Mars?!? Where is the Attack from Mars love?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HotSake wrote: »
    No love for Jurassic Park, I see.

YES!! Jurassic Park pinball is the best!!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    artrulzartrulz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey, I'm glad to see pinball getting such a positive response.

I manage Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade down in Portland, and we were bouncing around the idea of trying to put together an arcade room at PAX. However, we haven't gotten beyond the initial introductory emails.

While we love the _idea_ of bringing our arcade games and pinball tables to outside venues and events, it's kind of a PITA to execute. Still, for the sake of the experience, we may still pursue this. Not sure. We're all really busy and I'm looking forward to PAX as a vacation more than anything.

I'd like to see Shorty's get involved in PAX, since they're so close. I think if something like this ever happened, Shorty's would be a great choice to supply the pinball end of things, and someone else could supply the vids. You'd have to get some sort of maintenance tech on-site for the whole thing, because even something as simple as a stuck ball can be a show-stopper for a pin.

So, anyway, I agree that having some arcade/pinball at PAX would be awesome!

You guys can always take a day trip down to Portland and check out GK! I'd be happy to work out some PAX discounts for anyone who wanted to flash their badge.

Portland's really into pinball, and it seems to be steadily growing. You can find a quality table in most decent bars (and I gotta say, if your bar doesn't have pinball, I'll get bored quick.)

artrulz on
    Will work for quarters.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Quick, somebody light the Khoo signal!

also, art, tell me that you guys have the Twilight Zone machine.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You know, I'm actually named for The Who's Tommy. On the one hand, I'm not deaf, dumb, and blind, but on the other hand, I don't play a mean game of pinball. I figure it balances out.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Alas, no Twilight Zone. I'm sure we'll pick one up if we find one for the right price, in the right shape. (After all, it's #1 on the IPDB's list of Solid State tables, and I'm a huge Pat Lawlor fan.)

Not sure if there's one in Portland right now... the last one I saw was at a bar/venue called Berbati's Pan, but it was in awful shape.

The one game I'd personally like to get is Monster Bash! Shorty's has one.

artrulz on
    Will work for quarters.
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I dunno if we really need an arcade room, seeing as Gameworks is just across the street. But a pinball room would be priceless! Gameworks only has 4 pinball machines, of which only 3 are ever working at once (if that), and they disappeared right before PAX last year.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    artrulz wrote: »
    Alas, no Twilight Zone. I'm sure we'll pick one up if we find one for the right price, in the right shape. (After all, it's #1 on the IPDB's list of Solid State tables, and I'm a huge Pat Lawlor fan.)

Not sure if there's one in Portland right now... the last one I saw was at a bar/venue called Berbati's Pan, but it was in awful shape.

The last one I saw was in somebody's private study during a wedding announcement party. It was in absolute perfect condition. I played for the entire duration of the party while my girlfriend got me beers.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2008

I'd like to point out that your link to the IPDB has brought me into a world of Pinball that I never imagined. I've wasted the last 3 hours of my life reading, in detail, about the technical terms for various parts of the machine, techniques for hitting/slapping the machine to save your ball, and how to activate the features of the pinball games that I've loved but never understood the logistics of...

for example, I never actually knew *how* to start a mission in ST:TNG. As far as I was concerned, it happened randomly. After reading a lengthy article at IPDB though, I feel strangely enlightened. Why didn't anyone tell me that a site like this existed before?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So toward that end: if we get pinball machines at PAX, maybe we could have more in-depth how-to-play documents posted near each machine, perhaps in view of the people queuing to play next. That would certainly enhance the awesomeness.

Awesomeness enhancement. It's not a gimmick; it's real science.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    mspencer wrote: »
    So toward that end: if we get pinball machines at PAX, maybe we could have more in-depth how-to-play documents posted near each machine, perhaps in view of the people queuing to play next. That would certainly enhance the awesomeness.

Awesomeness enhancement. It's not a gimmick; it's real science.

I agree! Because in all honesty, I knew that there was some kind of logic to the bells, whistles, point scoring etc... but without some form of instructions, it was exceedingly difficult to determine. I never realized how many parts of the pinball game I was missing (or not even ATTEMPTING to do) because I didn't even realize that the game *could* do it, much less how you could get it to do so.

Did you know that the ST:TNG pinball game has two mini games that you can play on the actual LCD screen itself? Madness. And apparently, at least from what it sounded like on the website, gently bumping the machine isn't cheating and they expect you to do it (as long as it's lightly). That one in particular blew me away. I never even dared to hit the machine to try and get the ball to move... but apparently they expect it, and in some games they even give you bonuses when the game figures out you successfully pulled off some crazy maneuver because of it. There's a whole underlying science to pinball playing that I not only didn't know exist, but I thought wasn't even allowed! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Last twilight zone I ever saw was at the beach. Not sure if it was out in oceanside (lower washington) Good lord, its a fun one. I've heard some of the parts on a TZ can be a headache when (IF) they break. Last look, they are still 4-5k easily.

I'd love to see ground kontrol come up but I'm not sure if its even doable with fuel costs now but thats for Khoo and company to decide though.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For those that can afford the trip down, and if this doesn't happen to work out, we have an Arcade Expo here in Houston every year (near the end of november). They have all classic arcade games and a minimum 20 different pin ball machines (and last year moe, they had twighlight zone) and the best part is that it's all freeplay.

I have a house that people can stay at if this is something they would like (and can) do, although a Penny Arcade Arcade does sound awesome, as well as redundant :p

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    Slipstream.ccSlipstream.cc Mill Creek, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did you know that the ST:TNG pinball game has two mini games that you can play on the actual LCD screen itself? Madness. And apparently, at least from what it sounded like on the website, gently bumping the machine isn't cheating and they expect you to do it (as long as it's lightly). That one in particular blew me away. I never even dared to hit the machine to try and get the ball to move... but apparently they expect it, and in some games they even give you bonuses when the game figures out you successfully pulled off some crazy maneuver because of it. There's a whole underlying science to pinball playing that I not only didn't know exist, but I thought wasn't even allowed! =)

Playing any of Nintendo's proprietary pinball games [Pokemon Pinball, Metroid Prime Pinball, and the best of them all, Kirby's Pinball Land!] plays into this factor of shaking the "machine" to get a ball loose or making it move. It's referred to as tilting, I believe. I enjoyed Sierra's 3D Ultra Pinball line as well for PC. In fact, I think I'm a bigger fan of digital pinball than the real deal... probably because it's cheaper :P

Slipstream.cc on
    I play Indoors | PAX's Attended: 07 08 09 10 12 13
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    For those that can afford the trip down, and if this doesn't happen to work out, we have an Arcade Expo here in Houston every year (near the end of november). They have all classic arcade games and a minimum 20 different pin ball machines (and last year moe, they had twighlight zone) and the best part is that it's all freeplay.

I have a house that people can stay at if this is something they would like (and can) do, although a Penny Arcade Arcade does sound awesome, as well as redundant :p

I always heard that Expo wasn't very good. I'll have to check it out this year I guess. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For those we ever near Vegas... I would have to suggest the Pinball Hall of Fame. The place has over 141 pristine working pinball machines. And the guy who's running it, Tim Arnold, Was the guy who started Pinball Pete's up at Michigan State and down here at Michigan University. (Pinball Pete's is the one place that I can still go and play Attack From Mars and not have to worry about it being broken.)

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hey, I'm glad to see pinball getting such a positive response.

I manage Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade down in Portland

<3 Ground Kontrol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come to Shorty's on Thursday and I'll buy you a drink.

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    skarsol wrote: »

I always heard that Expo wasn't very good. I'll have to check it out this year I guess. :)

I thought the texas pinball festival is pretty big. But its kind of expensive if you have to fly in now.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    slow-rrslow-rr Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    If you are near the Seattle area on June 6-8th come to the NW Pinball Show!

2489018176_7cc7e132cc_b.jpg

looks like more than 100 pins will be there, plus some video games

slow-rr on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ohshitz

im so there

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    skarsol wrote: »

IT's all dependent on what your taste is...I'm a huge classic arcade fan, and pinball fan, so it works out for me. That's mainly what they deal in

In simple terms, it's a big room with a bunch of old arcade games, and a bunch of pinball all on freeplay, sor something like 30 bucks for the entire weekend.

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    slow-rr wrote: »

sweet zombie jesus, I've never heard of this before but I will be there.

Misterioso on
  • Options
    MoonrushMoonrush Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love pinball.. Would love to see a terminator 2 there... I have been looking for a reasonable one in the portland area for some time, but all I see is people selling them with a trashed playfield for umpteen million dollars.
    sad...

I have a Die hard arcade, vs. cabinet , and a world rally that I would trade for it If anybody has one in the seattle area.

Moonrush on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Whoa, so much to reply to!
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    The last one I saw was in somebody's private study during a wedding announcement party. It was in absolute perfect condition. I played for the entire duration of the party while my girlfriend got me beers.

That sounds awesome.
    I'd like to point out that your link to the IPDB has brought me into a world of Pinball that I never imagined.

That rules! Yeah, I've learned a LOT about pinball in the 2+ years I've worked at Ground Kontrol. I was pretty much a n00b when I started. Sure, I'd played pinball, but arcades in general were scarce, let alone quality tables. My game's improved, but I'm far from even hitting the high scores on most of our tables. (Some tables have a "Today's High" that resets every day, that's about as far as I get.)
    gently bumping the machine isn't cheating and they expect you to do it (as long as it's lightly). That one in particular blew me away. I never even dared to hit the machine to try and get the ball to move... but apparently they expect it, and in some games they even give you bonuses when the game figures out you successfully pulled off some crazy maneuver because of it. There's a whole underlying science to pinball playing that I not only didn't know exist, but I thought wasn't even allowed! =)

Learning basic techniques is definitely crucial, but each game has a sort of formula you need to learn in order to really get crazy scores. Definitely read the instruction card on every pin you play (it's under the glass next to the left flipper.) And yeah, giving the table some "english" is totally allowed, it just depends on what the tilt sensitivity (and number of warnings before the game ends) is set to! There's one player who's part of a local pinball "gang" called Crazy Flipper Fingers that I hear has some amazing technique where he kicks one of the table's legs _just right_ in order to make an impossible ball save without tilting.

And the mechanics and electronics are really fascinating, too. The fact that the game is based on REAL physics, not a virtual world w/ arbitrary limitations, makes it impossible to ever _totally_ control.

Anyway... a similar site for arcade games is KLOV.com. Not as informative overall, but still a good resource.
    Qs23 wrote: »
    For those we ever near Vegas... I would have to suggest the Pinball Hall of Fame. The place has over 141 pristine working pinball machines.

This was definitely one of (if not THE) highlight of my last trip to Vegas. Here'sa picture of me totally psyched in front (I've since cut my hair, but the fashion sense hasn't improved.) I stopped after $10-15 bucks of pinball play, but man, what an excellent oasis from the general insanity of Vegas.
    Misterioso wrote: »
    <3 Ground Kontrol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come to Shorty's on Thursday and I'll buy you a drink.

Thanks for the offer! I most likely won't be in town till Friday the weekend of PAX, but I might try to make it. A Shorty's trip will definitely happen that week, and you will find me drunk and glued to Monster Bash.

OK, hope this post looks alright, tried to fit all of my quotes/replies into one.

Wish PAX was next weekend!

artrulz on
    Will work for quarters.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Awesome! Yeah, that website you linked me to talked about that leg kick maneuver. They called it the "Death Save"... it sounds hardcore to me. =) I'd love to pull it off sometime, but I'm worried that I'd break something on the machine. =)

I'm psyched to play pinball with all this new knowledge!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    LordHomsarLordHomsar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I love me some Pinball, especially Medieval Madness and the Doctor Who table! I am also a fan of the LittleWing PC pinball games (Crystal Caliburn and Loony Labyrinth being the 2 best ones in the series). Also, last year me and Moe went to a Dick Dale show at a bar and nearly got a broken Simpsons Pinball game working thru the Miracle of Percussive Maintenance.

LordHomsar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

2489018176_7cc7e132cc_b.jpg

looks like more than 100 pins will be there, plus some video games

... *Cries because he'll be in Arkansas during that time.*

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Grah why do I NEVER find out about these things?!
    It's bad enough that it took me three years to learn about PAX (while LIVING IN BELLEVUE), and now I almost missed this too.

THANK YOU PA forums!!!

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
This discussion has been closed.