As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to get the game music

GuardianGuardian Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
If you read the credits at the end, they say that they used mp3 format so....

1) copy and paste the .fsb files to some other folder from

Program Files\Hothead Games\Precipice of Darkness\parpg\data\sounds\ep_1

to a different folder (so as to not mess up the sound of your game).

2) Change the filenames of the files in the new folder so that the extension .fsb is .mp3

(example: parpg_ep1_cutscenes.fsb changes to parpg_ep1_cutscenes.mp3)

3) Then Play the file. However, Windows Media Player plays the file horribly. I highly recommend VLC.

As for if it works on an ipod or some such other device, I don't know. You'll have to see.

Guardian on

• WiegrafWiegraf Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I'd be more interested in having HotHead games make the credit music MP3 file available :) I loved that tune

Wiegraf on
  • antichrisantichris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will happily buy the end song if and when it becomes available.

But until then one could use audacity to edit out just the end song from the beginning of the parpg_ep1_mx_streams.fsb file, which is more or less a mp3.

Just a thought.

antichris on
    "Everything was going great - That is, until he fought the devil."
    My name is antichris, and I approve this message.
  • GuardianGuardian Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You kind of already bought the music. It is my opinion that it should rightfully be ours after we buy the game. I've got reasons, but I'm not going to bother posting them.

To each their own.

Guardian on
  • ZhirzzhZhirzzh Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not true. A movie's soundtrack doesn't belong to you after you buy the movie. You're expected to buy both. I also believe that the composers get a much larger royalty on CD sales.

Zhirzzh on
    steam_sig.png
  • antichrisantichris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guardian wrote: »
    You kind of already bought the music. It is my opinion that it should rightfully be ours after we buy the game. I've got reasons, but I'm not going to bother posting them.

To each their own.

To maintain editorial integrity I must admit that I personally have extracted the end music from PAA Ep 1 and have added it to my collection of songs by that artist. I will not sell or distribute this music and, as a show of support for PA, I fully intend to purchase a soundtrack if any becomes available.
    I am consumer of several forms of so called "free" pirated digital media, but I fully admit that what I am doing is wrong. It really bothers me when people feel "entitled" to something that simply does not belong to them.

With that out of the way:

With Intellectual property It's a question of rights.
    When I go to best buy and purchase a movie I am buying a license to show the movie to anybody I want in a private setting.
    If I want to charge people to watch it, that's a different license.
    If I want to show it in public, that's a different license.
    If I want another copy, I must purchase another license.
    Just because I posses a copy of the movie on a DVD that is capable to being used for all of the above purposes, that DOES NOT entitle me to do so. Getting away with something is simply not justification.

Some feel entitled to extract the music from the game and not buy a soundtrack.
    They might feel as if they already own a copy of the music.
    Technically they own a product that contains the music as part of it's presentation.

Looking at it another way.

Let's say that you are an artist that does book covers.
    An author pays you a small amount of money specifically to put your picture of a blasted landscape on the cover of his new book. You are simply paid a flat fee, which is a mere fraction of the royalties you would expect to receive if that same author were selling lithograph's (High quality prints) of that same artwork.

If the author then began selling thousands of poster sized copies of the cover of the book, would you feel that you were entitled to a significant share of the profits?

antichris on
    "Everything was going great - That is, until he fought the devil."
    My name is antichris, and I approve this message.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not to get into the moral or legal aspects of this, but the end song is awesome. I support Frontalot, and Snyder, as often as possible, and would buy this is I knew of a way.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • yuttyutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Since more people seem to be viewing this thread, I explained a better method here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=5626286#post5626286

yutt on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The music for this game is so fucking fantastic.

sarukun on
  • GuardianGuardian Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    antichris: Thank you for explaining all the things I think are wrong. I know you're not wrong, but the entire "licensing" system is stupid to me and is simply a way of making more money.

You want me to buy the music? I already bought it. It's in the game, I can just make saves that will start me at places where the music I like plays and listen to that.

Anyways, I'm not talking about it any more.

Guardian on