As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HP Mini Note - Anybody have one?

Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
So the lady friend wants a new laptop. Being the lady friend's main source of advice on these sorts of things, I've been tasked with laptop procurement. Lady friend wants something small and easy to carry. Her main needs are note taking and web browsing, so my first thought was to go with the EEE. However, I think she'd be put off by the kid-sized keyboard and screen (especially the keyboard).

But it looks like this here HP Mini Note has potential.

a few questions:

1. Anybody have one of these? Like it? Not so much?

2. Anyone know what retail stores have these on display? Ideally I'd like to arrange for the lady friend to try clickity clacking herself and she if it suits her

3. Any other contenders in this new "super small notebooks that don't cost your first born" market that I should know about? OS is not an issue since I'll just end up installing XP anyway. Try as I might, lady friend just isn't gonna be Linux lady friend time soon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Monolithic_Dome on

• Options
    FlapkeFlapke Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Apparently the mini note gets very hot and it's not very fast, not even fast enough to watch the occasional divx.

I'd wait till they start coming out with atom cpus, the MSI Wind looks very promising, for example.

Flapke on
  • Options
    shotimeshotime Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm looking at the same kinds of laptops. Personally, I'm very intrigued by the MSI Wind. Intel Atom 1.6 GHz, 80 GB HD, ~6hrs battery life and Windows XP for $550. Take a look at this Chilean hands-on [via engadget]

It's supposed to be released in the US June 3rd. Barring any horrible reviews between now and then, it's the ultra-portable I'm going to buy.

shotime on
    specB240.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wouldn't buy anything made by HP ever in the history of the world, they suck, their products are poorly put together and shabby, and they also suck.
    HP sucks.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah june's coming up quick.

June 3rd the wind is shown at some show, doesn't mean it's immediately released.... does it? I hope so, that's what I'm planning to buy like the other guy said, unless somethinhg happens.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy anything made by HP ever in the history of the world, they suck, their products are poorly put together and shabby, and they also suck.
    HP sucks.

Funny, I give the exact opposite advice, especially with laptops. Me and my brother both own HP laptops, and they perform great, are rock solid, have taken a shit ton of abuse, etc etc. His had some problem that was occuring across all laptops of that same type, so they let him send it in and they fixed it, no charge. This was after warranty had ended, too.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    HP sucks.

Funny, I give the exact opposite advice, especially with laptops. Me and my brother both own HP laptops, and they perform great, are rock solid, have taken a shit ton of abuse, etc etc. His had some problem that was occuring across all laptops of that same type, so they let him send it in and they fixed it, no charge. This was after warranty had ended, too.

You sir, have had better experience than I, or anyone I personally know. Consider yourself lucky. Or me unlucky, your choice.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    HP sucks.

You sir, have had better experience than I, or anyone I personally know. Consider yourself lucky. Or me unlucky, your choice.

I've purchased no fewer than 25 HP laptops for my business of various models. While I can't vouch for HP's consumer lines of laptops, their business lines have been really solid in my experience. It is worth noting that if you're buying HP's "Smart Buy" laptops, you can expect a noticeably lower build quality than on ones not labelled "Smart Buy". That doesn't stop the Smart Buys from being great deals, but they definitely aren't built as well as their regular business laptops.

I was looking at the Mininote because of how happy I am with my 6910p. I'm still interested in them, but I want to see what they do over the summer (if they switch to Intel/Isaiah processors).

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yea, buying one of these small laptops right now is stupid. wait till next month when Atom machines start coming out.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yea, buying one of these small laptops right now is stupid. wait till next month when Atom machines start coming out.

Or the opposite of this, intelligent. You can find these at a bargain right now. For what you're most likely going to use these machines for, Atom really isn't that big of a deal.

Satan. on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Isn't it supposed to give a signifigantly longer battery life?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Isn't it supposed to give a signifigantly longer battery life?

Intel says significant, I'm treating it like every other new processor I've ever heard of: cautious optimism that typically errs on the side of lying rat bastard marketing materials.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hot tip on the Atom business. She's got something coming up in July, but she can hold out until the Fall if there's a good reason to. I figure that even if the Atom's not necessary, it'll probably run down the cost of the non-atom stuff, no?

As far as build quality, here's what I seem to notice about laptops. Everyone considers Lenovo and Apple to be the top of the list. Anyone else is a total crap shoot. For everyone who loves HP and has only gotten total shit from Toshiba, there's another guy who swears by Toshiba but don't ever buy from Dell.

Too confusing for me.

Oh man, just checked out the specs on that MSI wind. Kicks the innards out of the HP. Has MSI made a laptop before? I've used their components before, but not whole systems.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]