As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

1981 prediction of how videogames were to be.

13»

• WankyWanky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ps9 commercial. Anyone who wants the file can talk to me AIMSN: MMASNAFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZZV728dM7I

Wanky on
  • JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whatever happened to Quadrophonic sound? I want to listen to Quadrophenia in Quadrophonic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic
    Quadraphonic sound uses four channels in which speakers are positioned at all four corners of the listening space, reproducing signals that are independent of each other.
    Which leads to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound eventually?

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    if it makes you feel any better there was a dude on the history channel this weekend telling me Ring Around the Rosey was about the plague.

Well yeah, that is the most popular theory as to the origin of the song...

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FCD wrote:

People don't go to play 'Nintendo' at a freind's house anymore, they play 'Playstation'. When a clueless parent goes into a shop and remembers the name 'Playstation' they associate that with the 'games console' the child wants. That's my thoery anyway.

Ahhh, so the companies are relying on the stupidity of the average consumer. Can't say as I blame them for that. There's a lot of stupidity out there.
    all the advertisers can do is plug the brand and identity. Their main goal isn't to directly tell people to go and buy X product, but to associate X product with a need, over other products. Then to tell you that you have a void, that can be filled by their product.
    Or something like that. But basically, Hotlead's right. Make a surreal advert and give it something recognisable for people to associate with (there'd be a 'Playstation' tag at the end of the ad), and people will discuss it, ask questions, look it up and take an interest.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can someone rehost the article? I can't see it.

Mace1370 on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Those advertisements worked very well you know, you just confessed they kept you thinking about the product and you still remember the adverts clearly. Think about it.
    Advertising which does not sell the consumer on the product is not good advertising, period, end of discussion. If I see a commercial and think how retarded it is: Not good advertising. If I see a commercial and think: What the fuck is that? Not good advertising. If I remember what's being advertised, so much the worse for the company, because I'm going to tell people just how stupid it is.

Mace, here's a link to scans of the whole book:
    http://blogs.sun.com/ChrisM/entry/vintage_guide_to_computer_and

And the specific page is here:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/resources/ChrisM/book19.jpg

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Great, thanks. For some reason I didn't realize it was in that full book.

Mace1370 on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "powerful computers will be able to create adventure games infinitely more complex than those you can play on a micro today"

:cry:

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Those advertisements worked very well you know, you just confessed they kept you thinking about the product and you still remember the adverts clearly. Think about it.
    Advertising which does not sell the consumer on the product is not good advertising, period, end of discussion. If I see a commercial and think how retarded it is: Not good advertising. If I see a commercial and think: What the fuck is that? Not good advertising. If I remember what's being advertised, so much the worse for the company, because I'm going to tell people just how stupid it is.

You're not the average consumer, and that's not how they react. Those ads aren't really aimed at us.

Shujaa on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shujaa wrote:

You're not the average consumer, and that's not how they react. Those ads aren't really aimed at us.
    I can't remember the product being advertised most of the time let alone the commercial. The exception is Mahna Mahna and Vanilla Coke.

FreddyD on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    Shujaa wrote:

I can't remember the product being advertised most of the time let alone the commercial. The exception is Mahna Mahna and Vanilla Coke.

If the ad does not make you buy the product then it is not a good ad reguardless of if you remember the ad or not. If you are actually saying that Sony has good advertizements because you remember them then well you need to pull your head out of a hole.

Retarded ads hurt products and not all publicity is good. Do you think that the stupid ass christmas psp viral add thing helped Sony? No it didn't.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    Shujaa wrote:

If the ad does not make you buy the product then it is not a good ad reguardless of if you remember the ad or not. If you are actually saying that Sony has good advertizements because you remember them then well you need to pull your head out of a hole.

Retarded ads hurt products and not all publicity is good. Do you think that the stupid ass christmas psp viral add thing helped Sony? No it didn't.
    While this is very true, most executives go by the old adage "Any publicity is good publicity."

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    Shujaa wrote:

While this is very true, most executives go by the old adage "Any publicity is good publicity."

Sony?

MechMantis on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    Shujaa wrote:

That is debatable because you may mention the ad and product to someone else who is more likely to purchase it. Or you may walk in the store, see something that subconsciously reminds you of the ad, and buy the product.

Of course that could work both ways.

FreddyD on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That type of advert is simply to give some sort, any sort of advantage to the advertiser. At a 50/50 choice in the shop, you'll go for the product you've seen advertised. I usually do because I figure if they can afford to advertise, the product probably isn't completely shite; spurious as that reasoning may be.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399