As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Waid is a good place to start too

just dont read anything after Johns' run

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I dream of the day that one of you says the Flash is good again so that I can start reading it

Me Too! on
    edited May 2008
    why dont you just buy some the of the Waid or Johns trades

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, Waid's run comes before Johns'?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah. Refer to the link to the TP List I posted above to see the order they should be read in.

Munch on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    why dont you just buy some the of the Waid or Johns trades
    because wiggin isn't like you or I bale

he's retarded

Sars_Boy on
    edited May 2008
    Because my shop isn't the best when it comes to trades
    They're pretty much the worst, and ordering just means that there's a good chance they'll put it out on the shelf and not in your box

Me Too! on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So go to a different shop if you are not satisfied, or just order them off of Amazon, or from a bookstore.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2008
    I've bitched about finding a new shop before, and the 10% discount when I do buy trades, more if I have a bigger purchase, is too good to let go. I'll live without reading those Flash stories.

Me Too! on
    edited May 2008
    amazon usually has trades for cheaper than retail, I'd be surprised if thier prices arent at least as good as what you would get from your shop with 10% off if not better.

in other words

goddamn you are dumb

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Overstock is pretty awesome about that too. I got Infinite Crisis hardcover, Teen Titans 'Judas Contract', JLA/JSA 'Virtue & Vice, and pre-ordered Starman Omnibus for a total cost of $60 after shipping. So that's an option too and I know I was an English major but I think that's a bit more than 10 percent off.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited May 2008
    I never even thought of Overstock.
    Gonna go check that out for Powers trades, because the few that my shop has are all beat to shit
    EDIT: Holy shit, gonna go with Overstock for my trades from now on. Like, ordering a couple now.
    Looks like I'll still have to get Forever at the shop, though.
    Double edit: Or not. Hello new way to get Powers

Me Too! on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    No, that's collected elsewhere sadly, I'm pretty sure.

It's in the Iron Man: Civil War TPB, according to the TP List.

Oh excellent, most of the notes I was able to find for that trade suggested that only Casualties of War was included. Good catch, Munch.

Wildcat on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I went ahead and bought some Civil War trades, Extremis, and all the other Iron Man comics up through #14. I've been thinking about getting the Director of SHIELD trade, but I happened to read the review on it off amazon and some douche wrote this:
    We learn that Tony stark was never in the iron man suit!! From the beginning Steve Rogers was Iron MAN and Stark was just the public image/persona. Rogers was never frozen after WW2, It turns out that was his clone, part of the super soldier program (I guess they had cloning tech back in the 40's).

I'm guessing Stark and the Real Steve rogers will reveal this to the cloned Rogers at the end of CW.

Whoever OKed this stupid retconn should be fired. The art was pretty good though, Zircher does classic superheroes right.

Somebody please tell me this is bullshit. I really want to keep reading this current volume of Iron Man, but this just seems too retarded to be interesting.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    it's complete nonsense

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2008
    it's complete nonsense

The story or the douche I quoted?

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    that guy's summary is complete bullshit

DouglasDanger on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, as someone who's been on board with the whole DoS series since the beginning I can tell you that does not happen.

smokmnky on
    edited May 2008
    Sweet. I can buy it then.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    i kind of like the idea of totally made-up amazon reviews, though. it really breaks the unstated trust other users have in the site.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    I never even thought of Overstock.
    Gonna go check that out for Powers trades, because the few that my shop has are all beat to shit
    EDIT: Holy shit, gonna go with Overstock for my trades from now on. Like, ordering a couple now.
    Looks like I'll still have to get Forever at the shop, though.
    Double edit: Or not. Hello new way to get Powers

Have you ever checked out www.tfaw.com? They seem to have a good stock.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the Thor - Ages of Thunder one-shot that just came out was also excellent.

And the recently relaunched Thor series by JMS is also quite good (I think it's about 8-9 issues in, so there should be a collection of the first story arc that can catch you up quickly)

I can't imagine the current Thor series making much sense to anyone not already familiar with the character

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited July 2008
    why is that? Its pretty straightforward

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Never having read Thor before, I don't have any idea who these others gods are.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    well if you've never X character before you're not gonna know the majority of thier supporting cast either

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    You don't need to know the backstories of the gods you just need to know that they are gods

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2008
    It would have been nice to have had some kind of primer.

Robos A Go Go on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think JMS does a decent job of introducing Heimdall/Baldur/Warriors Three/Loki/Jane Foster/Sif/etc to an unfamiliar reader.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology

These aren't comic characters like the X-Men they are gods that have like a billion myths about them

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »

These aren't comic characters like the X-Men they are gods that have like a billion myths about them

Yeah, and since they're comic characters, there's a whole history attached to them that cannot be found in the myths they sprang from.

Would you learn about Marvel's Hercules by reading the myths, or by reading what happened to him in Avengers and his own book?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008

Yeah, and since they're comic characters, there's a whole history attached to them that cannot be found in the myths they sprang from.

Would you learn about Marvel's Hercules by reading the myths, or by reading what happened to him in Avengers and his own book?
    Considering his own book is tying heavily into the myths, they'd actually be helpful.

Not to mention Hercules and Thor's supporting cast are totally different. Hercules has been in the Avengers for decades and has had a few miniseries and now an ongoing.

Thor's supporting cast has had a fraction of that and thus is based much more heavily on the myths.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2008

Considering his own book is tying heavily into the myths, they'd actually be helpful.

Not to mention Hercules and Thor's supporting cast are totally different. Hercules has been in the Avengers for decades and has had a few miniseries and now an ongoing.

Thor's supporting cast has had a fraction of that and thus is based much more heavily on the myths.
    what? thor was one of the original avengers! his supporting cast is way more fleshed out than hercules. you've got sif, loki, odin, the warriors three (the motherfucking warriors three, man!), baldur, fucking heimdall

thor's got a way more developed supporting cast within the mu.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Odin's dead though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    that hasn't stopped him from showing up in the new series anyway

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Servo wrote: »

what? thor was one of the original avengers! his supporting cast is way more fleshed out than hercules. you've got sif, loki, odin, the warriors three (the motherfucking warriors three, man!), baldur, fucking heimdall

thor's got a way more developed supporting cast within the mu.
    I'm not talking about Herc's supporting cast. Which is what? Amadeus Cho?

I'm saying that Herc has had a lot more chance to develop as a character beyond the myths than Thor's supporting cast.

They're all rad as fuck, but they're much more grounded in the myths and legends.

Herc has gotten multiple Miniseries, A fairly regular spot on the Avengers and his ongoing.

I think the only character in Thor that's gotten a mini is Loki.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2008
    The Warriors Three are an exception I guess since they aren't taken from the mythology.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2008
    *snipped a bunch of crap about herc and thor*

alright fair enough. i would still argue that thor's supporting cast gets a lot more involvement in his main book than you're giving it credit for. if you read the walt simonson stuff, it's all these amazing adventures that the whole cast participates in in different ways. it's rarely a book about just thor.

and as far as the minis go, there are a few that you're forgetting that focus on thor AND "x" member of supporting cast. there was the completely awesome "blood oath" with thor and the warriors three, and there was one with thor and sif and baldur and they ran around fighting stuff but it's been a long time since i read it and i forget what it was called.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2008
    aw man, and i completely forgot thor's best support character
    betaraythor.gif

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2008
    I still dont think you need to know a shit ton about Thor to enjoy the new JMS series.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I still dont think you need to know a shit ton about Thor to enjoy the new JMS series.

Well it's just that a lot of the new series follows on from the end of the last series, with the gods dieing and Thor going to sleep and all, so I would've expected new readers to be a bit lost. Apparently that's not the case!

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
This discussion has been closed.