As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARR!] Pirates of the Burning Sea?

Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
So I'm just coming out of EVE and WoW now and I'm looking for an MMO for the summer. POTBS seems to have a certain EVE-lite quality to it, so I want definitely want to try it out.

Is anybody else out there playing? I was in the beta and enjoyed it, but was put off my dedications to other MMOs at the time. Would love to come back, but can't find a trial anywhere. Anyone know?

SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
1385396-1.png
Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
When I say pop it that means pop it
heavy.gif
Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on

• Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was in the beta, entirely unimpressed. I had wanted to mess with the market more, but I really couldn't get into it, and didn't much care for the grinding. That and at the time the missions were bugged, so you had no idea of the 'difficulty' of one over another.

I was trying to solo things in a dingy when they were meant to be played with 2-4 players :\

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was in the game a few days before it launched. Tried to get into it, but I stopped after a couple of days. Very bland and boring gameplay, IMO, with not much going on but doing boring naval battles and a boarding combat that seemed like it came from the Alpha version or something.

I didn't like it, but I do love pirates and stuff though.

Zilart on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    you'll be disappointed if you expect a complete game right out of the box, one of the things WoW did to the MMO genre. i'm not too sure how it's doing, although 7 out of the 11 live servers were shut down to condense players to 3 main servers. it'll b e interesting to see the economy/PvP zones in that situation.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    you'll be disappointed if you expect a complete game right out of the box, one of the things WoW did to the MMO genre. i'm not too sure how it's doing, although 7 out of the 11 live servers were shut down to condense players to 3 main servers. it'll b e interesting to see the economy/PvP zones in that situation.
    I really didn't, to be honest. I just found the game bland at that point in time. Not sure how it is now, but I'm sure it'll improve over time. The economy intrigued me greatly, but I ended up fighting mostly all the time anyways. It was okay, but not as great as I thought.

Zilart on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pirates of the Burning Pee!!!

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Please don't do... whatever it is you just did there, ever again.

Accualt on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I couldn't help myself.

I am ashamed...

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So yeah, apparently there are no trials (that's coming soon though apparently) but it works on a friend code system...

Anyone? :winky:

I played the beta and I can agree with some the complaints. The land stuff seemed really glitchy, and some aspects were rather unpolished, but I loved the naval combat, and the whole PVP aspect really interests me.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    To be fair I didn't comment on the avatar pvp/missions because those were JUST added while I was trying the beta. Along with various npc graphics glitches (pirates holding non-existant barrels, with barrels floating over others shoulders, characters gliding over the ground, etc), but I just didn't really like it. Wandering around the pirate towns was somewhat interesting, but there wasn't a lot to do beyond going to offices and then doing the mission.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    leaf, it really sounds like you shouldn't be commenting at all. You're judging the game on an early beta.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    pentacubepentacube Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was a pretty big fan of sid meier's Pirates. From what I have seen this game looks like it might feel kind of like that. Is this at all close?

pentacube on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    pentacube wrote: »
    I was a pretty big fan of sid meier's Pirates. From what I have seen this game looks like it might feel kind of like that. Is this at all close?

No. I thought the same till i tried it. It is just so fucking slow. Naval battles take fucking ages and are not the tactical excitement that was promised, they are just dull. The only bits i did enjoy were the "on foot" missions as they felt similar to the pirates of the carribean rpg from a few years back. But they were buggy and nowhere near enough to keep my interest up. It's yet another mmo to put on my list of mmos I was excited about and then didn't like. Please god let AoC or WAR live up to their promise.

One thing that really pissed me off was the towns. They kept harping on about how they would feel "lived in and alive" and this sounded awesome. Traipsing round Tortuga should be a glorious experience. In fact it was the blandest part of the game ... empty streets with doors every now and then that you can actually go into, the insides not being much better. And the quests make you navigate these soulless shells of towns so much it drove me away from the game.

tldr: So much promise, so little delivery.

Lly on
  • Options
    TyphaeonTyphaeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    WE MAKE GOOD TEAM
    f_lolfinem_37c4fce.jpg

Still need that friend code?

It's actually not slow once you get past the insignificant ships and start getting into ship outfitting. I've broken 30 knots with good wind position and skills, and most NPC rat battles take under a minute.

Funny that Tortuga was mentioned as being boring, because that is DEFINITELY not the case now.

Typhaeon on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jesus, you're character looks like a total fruit! (with a HUGE head)

edit: And 30 knots? Isn't that kinda ridiculous for the ships of that time? I would have thought the fastest ships of that day would top at just under 20. Not that I care, but i thought it was supposed to be realistic in those matters. Also describe how tortuga is better now? Did they redo it and add interest since I quit? Screenshot's please!

Lly on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I played for a while. I found the ship combat cool, but had no real variation. It was realistic in that positioning was everything, but realism doesn't necessarily make a good game. Good idea, poor design.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    TyphaeonTyphaeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think I should provide a little more information on the game. I'll see if I can dig up some screenshots in awhile too.

SHIPS:

http://potbs.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_Overview_by_Level

You've got your 3 basic shiptypes. Scouts are fast and maneuverable, but typically (not always) at the expense of firepower. Scout ships go from ITTY BITTY TINY schooner you start off with as a Pirate, up to faster corvettes and cutters you can board well with, to the damage buzzsaw of the Raa series, and then finally to the Hercules frigate series, which hit like a truck and maneuver like a much smaller ship on the level 50 end. These include ships with weird wind angles as their best point, like lateen-sail Xebecs or Polacres, which can be used to surprise and board on the open sea without much chance for escape.

Warships are pretty uninteresting unless you're a Naval Officer with the 3 non-Pirate nations. These range from pretty fast and maneuverable Snows at low level, the first ship you really get with any hitting power, to increasingly slow accelerating bricks which don't turn, to the ultimate port battle ships in the game: 4th to 1st-rate lineships. These cost from tens of thousands to several million doubloons and months' worth of materials to build, like Titans or other capital ships in Eve. Unfortunately, the only way you can get one as a pirate is to board and capture it. This can be a bit of a problem when you've got several dozen 20+lb cannons vomiting fuckoff amounts of damage your way, but that's what scout ships are for avoiding, since lineships basically don't turn or accelerate at all.

Merchant ships go from pretty tough tank-type ships like the Dolphyn Ketch on the low end to huge galleons and Indiamen with a mean amount of guns on the top end. These are typically used for hauling, but could theoretically be used to chase somebody down with disabling skills since they have high top speeds. Not generally my choice for combat, though.

PIRATES:

Pirates are unlike other "nations" in that they only have one career path to choose from (Pirate, obviously). The dev team is working on another Buccaneer class, but this is a ways off. We get the most amount of ship speed skills and passives in our skill trees, and a good mix of other skill types from the other nations. We also get a 30-second invincibility as one of our skills, which causes enemy cannonballs to sort of curve away from the hull midair and magically land about 10 feet away in the water. Don't ask me how that works.

Pirates make less money from sinking NPC ships than other nations do because we don't have some national authority paying us for it. Missions and production are your primary sources of income. Here's why we don't need as much money as nationals: While they have to pay several thousand doubloons and hours of stored labor to make the smallest ship deed, we can capture a ship once every 2 hours from level 5 on. This gives a "captured" version of the ship which you lose when you get sunk (proper deeded ships can have several points of durability, one of which you lose every time you go into Davy Jones's). You can spend more of your doubloons on making your ship faster or have more armor, or reload quicker when you don't have to pay for the ship in the first place.

We also get refit ships you can obtain for Marks of Victory, which you get by sinking or boarding other players. These tend to be your traditional pirate galleons on the higher end. We're more vulnerable to PvP also, since we can both attack and be attacked in "Pirate PvP" zones as well as the inner PvP areas in any unrest zones on the map. You generate PvP zones by either delivering unrest bundles or sinking ships of a certain nation next to one of their capturable ports, which generates a rather huge red circle on the map which can overlap other ports and make people's lives more difficult. You could also PvP flag yourself, which makes you sail faster on the world map, disables NPC attacks on the open sea and makes you attackable by any player anywhere (other non-flagged players can jump in within 30 seconds or so of you getting attacked).

Too many words. I'm sure somebody else with experience in the game can fill in what I've missed.

Typhaeon on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Played this for a while. I actually really liked the naval combat but the economy is just a stupid hack propped up by artificial limitations and as you level up you have to spend more and more time grinding to earn enough money to replace ships lost in pvp.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    corksoakercorksoaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so I'm deciding between resubscribing my Eve Online account, or trying out PotB. But seems like there is a strong dearth of activity by the PA community in the PotB thread. Is it still worth checking out, or should I skip it?

corksoaker on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    corksoaker wrote: »
    so I'm deciding between resubscribing my Eve Online account, or trying out PotB. But seems like there is a strong dearth of activity by the PA community in the PotB thread. Is it still worth checking out, or should I skip it?

Go with EvE. There's really nothing to say about PotBS.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    pentacubepentacube Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I feel like I still want to try it, just wish there was a trial period for those of us in the U.S.

pentacube on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Has this game changed any since launch?

Zilart on
  • Options
    iSnortRitaliniSnortRitalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zilart wrote: »
    Has this game changed any since launch?

anyone?

iSnortRitalin on
    "I feel like a cranky old man, just bringing this up, but there's alot of you here... so would you do me a favor? When you're playing online.. Have fun.. but don't be a dick, ok?" -Wil Wheaton PAX 2007

LOTRO - Main: Mikkyo, Elf Hunter
    Alt: Raahl, Human Warden
    WOW - Main: Trulku (retired)
    AOC - Retired.. what a let down....
    SWTOR - can't fu*kin wait!!
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    pentacube wrote: »

No. I thought the same till i tried it. It is just so fucking slow. Naval battles take fucking ages and are not the tactical excitement that was promised, they are just dull. The only bits i did enjoy were the "on foot" missions as they felt similar to the pirates of the carribean rpg from a few years back. But they were buggy and nowhere near enough to keep my interest up. It's yet another mmo to put on my list of mmos I was excited about and then didn't like. Please god let AoC or WAR live up to their promise.

One thing that really pissed me off was the towns. They kept harping on about how they would feel "lived in and alive" and this sounded awesome. Traipsing round Tortuga should be a glorious experience. In fact it was the blandest part of the game ... empty streets with doors every now and then that you can actually go into, the insides not being much better. And the quests make you navigate these soulless shells of towns so much it drove me away from the game.

tldr: So much promise, so little delivery.

I disagree with you. The combat system felt similar to that of Sid Meier's pirates to me, and I enjoyed it as a result. Just throwing my two cents in there.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh, indeed. The combat is pretty kewl in this game. They did that part right.

It's just that everything else about the game, especially the economy and crafting, is utter shit.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I liked the game but didn't love it. ship battles and travel were both reallllly slow, and also were 90% of the game. Combat was very neat, but still slow. instead of grinding 100 mobs in another MMO, you spend 10 minutes trying to kill 1 to 5 ships in PotBS, for better or for worse. I don't know what has changed since I'm just speaking from open beta.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I liked the game but didn't love it. ship battles and travel were both reallllly slow, and also were 90% of the game. Combat was very neat, but still slow. instead of grinding 100 mobs in another MMO, you spend 10 minutes trying to kill 1 to 5 ships in PotBS, for better or for worse. I don't know what has changed since I'm just speaking from open beta.

I don't mind things being slower. Slower combat with more time for thinking and killing, etc. What bores me is the travel times, where I'm not actually actively doing anything. If one fight takes 10 minutes, that can still be fun because you're actively playing and having fun the whole time. But if you need to sail to another city, and that means you literally have to point your ship in one direction and then it's hands off for the next 30 minutes, minus adjustments for wind direction and currents... well, that sounds an awful lot like boring work to me.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.