As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Broken thing at Pelican Bay (Stuck?)

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
So I've been looking about at various bugs that has cropped up during release, and one seems to have come up that is rather amusing.
You get to Pelican Bay, and the Fortune Teller is already broken.

You most likely didn't buy the game.

Awesome ^_^

halkun on

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That is awesome.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I always figured this would be the best way to handle copy protection in modern times.

Taramoor on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    Our biggest fear on this is that since these stupid cracks are breaking the game, people that pirate it start to spread the word around that it's "buggy" and "unplayable." <sigh>

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Our biggest fear on this is that since these stupid cracks are breaking the game, people that pirate it start to spread the word around that it's "buggy" and "unplayable." <sigh>

Well I heard a rumor that people who pirate this game are also pirates of other things.

Like butts.

DarkPrimus on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    D:!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Robert, you are so cool!

halkun on
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, it technically is unplayable ... if it is cracked. I personally love copyright control like this. Reminds me of back in the day when you had to have your manual or something like that to type in something in order to play.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Phanman wrote: »
    Well, it technically is unplayable ... if it is cracked. I personally love copyright control like this. Reminds me of back in the day when you had to have your manual or something like that to type in something in order to play.

Or Metal Gear Solids, "Look at the back of the CD case for Meryls number".

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    NATIK wrote: »

Some of us rented it. :x

Samphis on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Samphis wrote: »
    NATIK wrote: »

Some of us rented it. :x
    And some of us bought it to play on vacation, leaving the CD case at home for a week :x:x:x

Houk the Namebringer on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I feel no ill will towards pirates, but it's enjoyable to see'em suffer sometimes. Buy the damn game.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • SoultakerSoultaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, it's nice to see pirates getting bitten for a change. Also weighs in nicely with the DRM debate (people arguing that DRM annoys customers while pirates have no problems).

I wonder if the game failing in obscure ways when you've messed with it is by design? It would be more effective than refusing to start. It's also possible that the crackers were just sloppy, but it's weird that cracking the game results in these type of game logic errors.

Soultaker on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've yet to hear pirates complain about the fortune teller being broken. From what I've seen, everyone was crashing trying to enter pelican bay with error 666(lol). I've yet to hear anyone on bad sites complain about the broken fortune teller bug(which also has happened to a number of people on XBLA)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is awesome, even if it's not intentional. It reminds me of the crazy things that EarthBound will do if pirated.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    I've yet to hear pirates complain about the fortune teller being broken. From what I've seen, everyone was crashing trying to enter pelican bay with error 666(lol). I've yet to hear anyone on bad sites complain about the broken fortune teller bug(which also has happened to a number of people on XBLA)

You need to spend less time cruising pirate sites.

Threepio on
    142.jpg