As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everything old is new again "MSI to add "Turbo" OC button to 9600GT"

bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
This is crazy I picked this up from Tweaktown this morning.
Among the many products MSI showed at its ECOlution press conference in Taipei today was its upcoming GeForce N9600GT Diamond graphics card.

news_msi9600gtdrmos-01a_full.png

It’s a rather special product in that MSI said that it has crammed all its current and future VGA technologies onto this one product. It will get 2GB of GDDR3 memory as well HDMI, DisplayPort, dual DVI and optical audio output. Is that enough for you people?

It will also get Dr.MOS power saving technology that monitors in real-time via hardware controller to properly adjust fan speeds and whatever else - we are yet to confirm what that is all about exactly.

The star of the show is the red button on the back of the card. After you push that button, the card will automatically destruct in five seconds overclock the graphics core and memory clock speeds as well as increase voltage.

news_msi9600gtdrmos-02a_full.png

When asked what would happen if the button was pushed when two of these cards were in SLI dual graphics mode, we were told that the technology is still being polished and it is unable to be overclocked in SLI at the moment but it is something MSI plans to have working very soon.

MSI couldn’t tell us just how far the card gets overclocked as it is still fine tuning things before Computex next week. MSI did say that it will be ready for the show and show goers will be able to push the button and get all the thrills of this simple form of overclocking. When asked when consumers would see this product on store shelves, we were told by the end of June and while an RRP hasn’t be set yet, we were told that it will easily sell for under $300 USD and closer to the $250 USD mark.

We can’t wait to get our hands on one for a full review to see what it is capable of.

bloodyroarxx on

• Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's madness. I think they failed to understand why turbo buttons died out on PCs.
    Not to mention, that on a video card one would be so unwieldy as to prohibit using it in the first place.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They blew their wad on a 9600? A 300-fucking-dollar 9600, which normally retails for less than half.

Yeah...

Zxerol on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, wait. The turbo button on old PCs slowed them down. Now I'm just supposed to accept that pushing it will speed the computer up? It's madness, madness I tell you!

Frem on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    why did the turbo button function as a slow-down for older PCs?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The button makes sense to me actually.

Overclocking has been getting easier every year, with BIOS aides and various programs. I guess it was only a matter of time before someone took it to its logical conclusion. Whether there's a market for something so user friendly when only enthusiasts really care remains to be seen I guess.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    why did the turbo button function as a slow-down for older PCs?

Generally, the "turbo" switch was wired so that, when active, the CPU would be run at full speed. When off, the clockspeed would be lowered (66 MHz -> 33 Mhz when off, for instance). So, the "turbo" on isn't supercharging the computer or anything, it's just making the computer run at normal speed.

But that doesn't negate the fact that the switch's main use was, indeed, for slowing down your computer. It was for compatibility for older programs that relied on specific processor ticks for timing. You know, back when 66 MHz was ultra-fast.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why is that even necessary when you could do it in software? Maybe it's for when the power goes out? Or when your screen is broken? :P Besides that, if I wanted to stick a turbo button on that lawnmower engine of a video card, I would make it huge, with a glowing recessed TURBO emblazoned on it. Maybe throw in a voice clip of Captain Picard going "Engage!".

Sillyness aside, I just see it as another gimmick.

Doomulon on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I find it funny that it has 2gbs of ram. Considering that it has a 256bit memory controller.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I assume by your post macro that you think a 256bit memory controller can only access 256MBytes of ram at once? There's no correlation or technical disparity there - the controller can easily handle the whole 2GB of ram.

The problem I have with these huge-GB boards is they aren't reference boards (built to nvidia/ATI spec) so while it's nice to have all that extra ram, it feels like it's "tacked on" and the GPU isn't really suited to take advantage of it all.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Monaro wrote: »
    I assume by your post macro that you think a 256bit memory controller can only access 256MBytes of ram at once? There's no correlation or technical disparity there - the controller can easily handle the whole 2GB of ram.

The problem I have with these huge-GB boards is they aren't reference boards (built to nvidia/ATI spec) so while it's nice to have all that extra ram, it feels like it's "tacked on" and the GPU isn't really suited to take advantage of it all.

Tacked on? thats an understatement noone who buys a 9600GT is ever going to need an overclock cause they would never know how to use it really. 2 gigs of vram!? once again who the fuck would buy a 9600GT if there was someway in hell you could even use that much

and thats not to mention the overkill on the outputs.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think he means that 2gb is pretty pointless giving the memory bandwidth available.

Anyways, MSI has done this before with an 8600, where the turbo button got you 20Mhz of overclock! http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQwOSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Rook on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Monaro wrote: »

No game or similar program will be able to take advantage of that amount of vram. A 1gb 8800 GT shows no performance increase over a 512MB. So I ask why does it have 2gbs of vram? No one is going to doing Cad or anything like that with a 9600GT. There are far better options out there for those applications.

Why do think ATI's soon to be out cards sport high speed GDDR5? It's to overcome limitations of the 256bit memory interface. Nvidia is going the opposite route. Lower Latency and lower speed GDDR3 on a 512bit interace.

This card is an overpriced gimmick. Nothing more.
    Rook wrote: »
    I think he means that 2gb is pretty pointless giving the memory bandwidth available.

That is precisely what I mean. I guess I could have made that clearer.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This has to be one of the dumbest products ever. 2GB of VRAM? NOTHING uses that...yet. Plus who wants to reach around back to hit this "turbo" switch?

Has 3d card tech finally reached the point where gimicky "technology" is going to dominate the market?

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    bloodr wrote: »
    Plus who wants to reach around back to hit this "turbo" switch?

Things that are funny when taken out of context, part 1.

Rook on
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

That was completely intentional. :>

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

That was completely intentional. :>
    Is that some sort of UFIA euphemism?

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I guess I could have made that clearer.

LOL yeah sorry I replied to you as a nub, my bad :P

No doubt there'll be people out there running 32-bit Windows with 4GB of system ram and 2GB of video ram thinking it's making a difference :D

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png