As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls (An Indie Comic)

• smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hope the dust is as repelled by this book as I was!

This made me laugh out loud at work. (haven't read the book crew checking in)

smokmnky on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    TLB, tell us how you really feel. :P

9:14:36 PM AJ: you could be just as bad as that dude who wrote CORPUS CHRISTIE AND THE CAPE GIRLS
    9:14:43 PM Keith: nah dog i'm better
    9:14:48 PM Keith: was that terrible
    9:14:52 PM AJ: oh god
    9:15:00 PM AJ: Every bad thing I could think of
    9:15:04 PM AJ: was in it
    9:15:07 PM AJ: ten times
    9:15:44 PM AJ: Fat chick is there only for fat jokes, goth chick HATES JOCKS, there actually is the word poser used nonironically
    9:16:22 PM AJ: It's like some 16 year old socially retarded goth girl wrote a comic about the life she wished she had

Garlic Bread on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but it really did sorta read like bad fan fiction. It's like a few good ideas buried under a heap of bad ideas.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    keeeeeith

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TravisLeggeTravisLegge Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As a writer, I can tell why it fails from the very beginning: it takes the low road at every turn. From the characters, to the "plot," to the "jokes." Not once is any more thought put into it than "look at the fat girl" jokes or "goths hate jocks" jokes. That bothered me. Furthermore that absurd level of stereotyping going on makes Jim Crow comics look quaint and emotionally deep.

Ok,

First off allow me to apologize for the delay in my response. Been a busy week or 2. Now that I have time to sit down and think through a reply, I'd like to address this statement in particular.

I can understand if the "low road" humor is not to your taste. The book is a view of the Goth community in my hometown through a lens of absurdity. The characters do fit into stereotypes, which is kind of the point. If that bugs you, cool. Don't read it. Slam it, that's fine.

However, to compare a parody of counterculture to Jim Crow comics is really absurd. Impressively absurd. That's like trying to disarm your opponent in a debate by comparing their position to Hitler's. It's at best a grevious exaggeration.
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Putting a bad review on a dust jacket is pretty cool actually.

edit: And unlikely to affect sales. They've already picked up your book and can flick through it. A funny joke they'll hopefully get won't change anything.

I would do it for the funny and the cool. Sales would at best be a tertiary concern.
    I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but it really did sorta read like bad fan fiction. It's like a few good ideas buried under a heap of bad ideas.

No offense taken. I would say, if anything, you have explained your dislikes of the book in a manner that addresses your concern without being cruel or asinine. I would encourage you to peek at issue 2 if you haven't because I believe the story picks up a bit there and you may find something you felt issue 1 was lacking.

Ultimately this is my maiden voyage into full-length comics. While I am appreciative of positive feedback, intelligent negative feedback is just as useful, if not moreso to me as a writer. It helps me grow and develop. Thanks to everyone who did download it and check it out. I hope you'll stick with it and peek at my other projects as I make them available.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Right, see it's ironical, and therefore amusing...

Well, at least I find it amusing.

And come on, what's negative about THAT post, I mean, really...

How is a bad review "ironical"?
    Penny Arcade did it.

Of course, for the most part, Penny Arcade used extremely out of left field negative comments from one guy and were pretty sure they knew who'd buy their game regardless of an ad.

The Muffin Man on
    edited May 2008
    That's kind of what I'm saying. the book will be bought or not bought based on its merits. While I have failed to amuse TLB with my lil parody of Goth culture, I have sales, I have downloads, so SOMEONE must like it. Now, granted, I won't be buying a boat anytime soon, but really, I guess a dust jacket review won't sway a buyer either way, and the people who will buy my book will likely find the bad review amusing.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
    edited June 2008
    Corpus_Christie_issue_3_cover_by_TravisLegge.jpg

Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls 3 is now available for FREE download at WOWIO.COM

Follow the zany adventures of Corpus Christie (a girl who is so goth she's actually dead) and her two roommates (a dominatrix with a speech impediment and a portly dorky goth).

WARNING: Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls is rated +18 for Profanity and Mature Themes.

In this issue: Squeak and Purple take to the woods to track Christie and free her from the influence of the Voodoo Roofie. Can they get to her before something terrible happens? If so, are they prepared to deal with the surprises awaiting them at home?

Go download it to find out :)

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay I don't care if your comic is about fat goths or 23 pages of a horse fucking a nun, but dude, get somebody else to do your cover art.

ben0207 on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn, that’s an ugly cover.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    edited June 2008
    Seriously, did you find someone on Deviantart?
    Okay fine, so a lot of good artists use Devinatart to show off their stuff, but those are the guys who HAVE jobs in the industry

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2008
    I think Franco did just fine on this cover, but I'm rather interested in your critiques. What don't you like about it? What do you like about it?

"It's ugly" isn't helpful. It's a valid opinion, sure, but it's not useful feedback. It doesn't help me improve. So I would like to hear things that might.

Obviously negative response from a few people on one message board isn't going to stop me from making comics. And since you are representative of some of the people I would like to entertain, please, share something constructive.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Umm, okay. The colouring, the.. what's the word? The shape of their bodies (especially Captain Neck). The faces, the background, the typography, her monstrous lip, the shadowing. The layout, the heart thing, the guy's torso, her fat hand, the black-and-white thing in the top left (what are those things called?).

I don't know fancy words, or much comic-design terminology. But I know a fair amount about design and layout.

I quite like the font for "Cape Girls". And I guess maybe I could use the book to swat insects?

ben0207 on
    edited June 2008
    Thanks,

So you don't like the watercolor coloring style? Did you prefer the colors in the earlier covers I posted

The typesetting is a learning experience. Is it font choice? Color? What don;t you like about it?

As far as the black-and-white thingie, does it look too plain? what would you suggest to improve it?

For the record her monstrous lip is actually her tongue sticking out. It's way easier to see on the actual size image.

I will certainly mention anatomy to Franco, but before you judge it TOO harshly, remember Humberto Ramos works at Marvel...
    X-Men200pg00.jpg

...seriously, look at the necks and hands. I don't think Franco's doing all that bad by comparison.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The difference is that Ramos is a good artist and the guy you have isn't. I know that sounds harsh but it's true. You're not going to get anywhere by pointing fingers elsewhere.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited June 2008
    Okay fine, so a lot of good artists use Devinatart to show off their stuff, but those are the guys who HAVE jobs in the industry

There's nothing wrong with Deviantart.
    And a lot of crappy artists HAVE jobs in the industry. See my above post regarding Ramos. and why the hell is that spoilered? Why the hell am i responding in spoiler?

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008

And a lot of crappy artists HAVE jobs in the industry. See my above post regarding Ramos. and why the hell is that spoilered? Why the hell am i responding in spoiler?

So you're argument for having bad art is because of the fact that bad artists are out there? (also, Ramos is not a bad artist).

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I'm not going to weigh into the debate about whether this particular artist is good or not, but Ramos is by no means a poor artist. You may not like his style, that doesn't make him bad.

Cf Impulse.

Wildcat on
    edited June 2008
    Also I totally said the 'I' word just to see if Keith now posts

Wildcat on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ramos' art is heavily stylized and clearly designed to achieve a pleasing cartoonish look.

I don't know what your guy's excuse is, aside from being inexperienced or untalented.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008

So you're argument for having bad art is because of the fact that bad artists are out there?

I never said that at all. I'm not making any statements that are an "excuse for having bad art" I was making a separate argument that The Muffin Man's statement regarding Deviant Art, as a whole, was silly.
    (also, Ramos is not a bad artist).

That's a matter of opinion. Yours simply happens to be inaccurate.
    Ramos' art is heavily stylized and clearly designed to achieve a pleasing cartoonish look.

I don't know what your guy's excuse is, aside from being inexperienced or untalented.

Again with the "excuse" word. I think Franco could benefit from constructive criticism regarding his art, and I plan to clue him in on what *little* i see here as well as my own from time to time. I could also stand constructive criticism from a writing point of view, which I take into account, when I receive it. That said, no one is making excuses for anything (except Ramos, which everyone seems to be eager to give a pass on. Bastard made Spectacular Spider-Man freaking unreadable IMHO. His art is WAY too Graf for my tastes. I know it's a style thing, it's just a style i detest.) I'm proud of the work, and if it needs more work to grow, I'll keep doing it.

So just to hammer a point home, I make no excuses for anything. I love comics and I love to write them. I want to make them the best comics I can, with the tools at my disposal. I asked for criticism, I opened myself up to having the work on a public block, partially because this board has been very vocal with opinions, some well reasoned and stated, others, not so much. So if I ever came off like I'm making "excuses" I apologize for the miscommunication.

So please continue...

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    All I'm gonna say is don't be hatin' on Ramos, because he's awesome.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2008
    Well, obviously people like his art. I'm just a little confused as to why :P

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, of all the possible things to complain about Ramos' art, you say the necks and hands? The hands are fine. The only real neck problem is that whirlwind-giraffe looking bloke in the bottom right.

Besides, Ramos' hyper-stylised look is unique and awesome. This guy doing your covers just looks really flat and bland. There's absolutely nothing about it that grabs my interest; my eyes just kept sort of sliding off it.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited June 2008

This bit here? I can't stand people who try to argue using this. Sorry man. :|

Wildcat on
    edited June 2008
    The necks and hands were mentioned in the initial complaint about Franco's art. I believe the term was "fat hand" Ramos puts HAM HOCKS on the ends of people's arms. And yeah, whirlwind guy's neck is ridiculous. AT LEAST as much so as Brad's. That's why I mentioned Ramos's necks and hands. I could sit here all day and go off about what I don't like about Ramos, but that would anger Mask, and I don't want him to boot me in the head. Or say mean things that will make me cry and cut myself. (because Mask is prone to such things...)

Do you think the "flatness" i a coloring issue, or just a blandness to the linework? I was worried it was too busy a cover, do you think that might be a factor?

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

This bit here? I can't stand people who try to argue using this. Sorry man. :|

Yeah, that was off sides.

Agree to disagree :?:

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    The cover is just horribly generic and the artist really isn't that talented.

You could go to any high school around the country, enter an art class and get similar results.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was going to mock the cover art because for all the gothgothgoth you keep chanting, she's in light green.

Anyway, good luck with this, I hope you make a ton of cash off this shit. :^:

Endless_Serpents on
    edited June 2008
    I was going to mock the cover art because for all the gothgothgoth you keep chanting, she's in light green.

Anyway, good luck with this, I hope you make a ton of cash off this shit. :^:

Funny you should mention, the clothing/silly facial expression/ hanging all over the jock guy is all because of the circumstances of the story, involving mind control, essentially the voodoo equivalent of being slipped a ruphie.

Thanks for paying attention, and the wishes for good luck are mui appreciated. When I sell the film option, I'll fly you out to Vegas and we can blow my earnings on coke and whores.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008

So you're argument for having bad art is because of the fact that bad artists are out there?

I never said that at all. I'm not making any statements that are an "excuse for having bad art" I was making a separate argument that The Muffin Man's statement regarding Deviant Art, as a whole, was silly.

My oppinion is actually correct as it's demonstrated both by Ramos' long career and thousands of books sold. You, apparently, cannot even give your book away.

Honestly, it bothers me when people come off as asking for advice and then get completely defensive when people aren't warm to their ideas. This is especially terrible when an amateur comes in and starts to deride a professional who has actually demonstrated success.

Ramos sells books and as such gets a high volume of work - as he should. You coming in here and implicitly stating that what you're putting out there is better is insulting to everybody. I'm a fairly standard comic book fan and I can say with 100% certainty that what you're doing is not appealing to me in the slightest.

Your attitude has inter-pissed me off a bit so I'm trying not to be too inflammatory here but it's getting tough. I think it's been clearly stated across the board that everything about your book leaves much to be desired. The characters are boring, the writing seems off, the art is amateur, and the concept itself seems off-putting. I understand that you've invested a great amount of time and energy into it but that by no means equates to the thing being a success.

By now it seems apparent that you don't have a whole lot of fans here (if I'm wrong in this then I apologize). Why then are you beating a dead horse? You are not going to turn this thing around on us unless you pull a "LOL SURPRISE I'M ACTUALLY JOSS WHEDON JUST JOKING GUYS HERES THE REAL BOOK!" but I sincerely doubt that will happen. You're certainly not going to argue us into liking your book and frankly when you come around and start pointing at other creators/artists shouting "THIS GUY IS A HACK!", whilst your work is infinitely inferiour, it just makes you sound like a lunatic.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited June 2008
    I think I'll be a bit more judicious by saying that Travis should stick around and a solicit more constructive criticism from us.

Also, Travis, check out the creator's thread and bounce some ideas around with us. You've clearly got the drive to finish a story, you just need to get some better ideas to write about.

wwtMask on
    edited June 2008

My oppinion is actually correct as it's demonstrated both by Ramos' long career and thousands of books sold. You, apparently, cannot even give your book away.

Actually, that's 1. inaccurate, and 2. insulting. I have downloads on wowio, sales in indyplanet, and have had successful signing appearances at my LCS and New York comicon. Sure, I'm not John Grisham, but I would argue that I can not only give the book away, but can in fact, sell it. Maybe not to you, or to some of the patrons of this particular corner of the internet, but I can move a copy here or there. You haven't a clue what you are talking about here.
    Honestly, it bothers me when people come off as asking for advice and then get completely defensive when people aren't warm to their ideas. This is especially terrible when an amateur comes in and starts to deride a professional who has actually demonstrated success.

Ramos sells books and as such gets a high volume of work - as he should. You coming in here and implicitly stating that what you're putting out there is better is insulting to everybody. I'm a fairly standard comic book fan and I can say with 100% certainty that what you're doing is not appealing to me in the slightest.

I don't recall ever saying that what I was putting out there was better than Ramos. I just blasted on Ramos's art, because, as I see it, he has anatomy issues. In fact, my point was that I KNOW franco has anatomy issues, so do other artists. BETTER, more successful artists. If that was not clearly communicated somehow, i'm sorry, but I don't get the feeling thats the problem. I get the impression you just didn't really read what I wrote. Don't put words in my mouth. If you are going to get upset at me, get upset for what I actually wrote.
    Your attitude has inter-pissed me off a bit so I'm trying not to be too inflammatory here but it's getting tough. I think it's been clearly stated across the board that everything about your book leaves much to be desired. The characters are boring, the writing seems off, the art is amateur, and the concept itself seems off-putting. I understand that you've invested a great amount of time and energy into it but that by no means equates to the thing being a success.

The writing seems off? Have you read it? I mean if you dislike it at a conceptual level, then I guess you don't need to read it, and that's cool. The book is a parody of an arguably small subculture. I would say that I personally feel that the first issue was a bit on the weak side from a writing and art perspective, but I do feel that each issue is getting better, which is a sign of artistic growth. To me THAT is a success. Every day when I look at the numbers on WOWIO and I see a couple more downloads THAT is a success. Every time I get ready to go to a con and have to order another small run of books because I have run out that is a success. I guess being told by ten or so people on here, five of which would never read the book anyways, that i suck and should go give up is hardly a sign of failure. Perhaps I'm looking at this wrong....

By now it seems apparent that you don't have a whole lot of fans here (if I'm wrong in this then I apologize). Why then are you beating a dead horse? You are not going to turn this thing around on us unless you pull a "LOL SURPRISE I'M ACTUALLY JOSS WHEDON JUST JOKING GUYS HERES THE REAL BOOK!" but I sincerely doubt that will happen. You're certainly not going to argue us into liking your book and frankly when you come around and start pointing at other creators/artists shouting "THIS GUY IS A HACK!", whilst your work is infinitely inferiour, it just makes you sound like a lunatic.

I don't think I'm really trying to turn this around on you at all. I'm trying to gather information that is useful to making a better comic, which there has been some offered. As far as criticizing another artist's work goes, consider this: how many people on these boards criticize and complain about established books. We are fans of a medium, which we spend money on. That alone gives us the rights to our opinions. So I guess I'm saying that my willingness to put my work out there shouldn't revoke my right to dislike (publicly) an artist. Not to mention that I'm not running around pointing at other creators and saying "THIS GUY IS A HACK." I'm singling out one artist who style or no style has a crappy command of anatomy, and pointing that out. So again, get pissed all you like about what I'm actually saying, but please try to refrain from putting words in my mouth.
    I think I'll be a bit more judicious by saying that Travis should stick around and a solicit more constructive criticism from us.

Also, Travis, check out the creator's thread and bounce some ideas around with us. You've clearly got the drive to finish a story, you just need to get some better ideas to write about.

Thanks, Mask. I think I shall do that very thing.

In the meantime I am interested to see if you ever got around to checking out Reckoning, and if so, what you thought.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I was probably a bit too harsh but I do think you were starting to come off as being a bit pretentious and I think that's what provoked me to overreact. In all seriousness, sorry about being a dick but I really don't like your book.

And yes, I did read some of it. Not a whole heck of a lot of it but some of it.

I think you were starting to remind me of some of the people I deal with at work so it was doubly frustrating. Once again, apologies. Don't like your book though.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited June 2008
    No worries. I work with dicks too, so I feel your pain.

I truly apologize if I came of as pretentious. TOTALLY not my intent.

And you don't have to like my book, that's totally cool. I won't hold that against you in the least.

But you should look at Reckoning. It's a much different book.

Sorry, I can't miss an opportunity to be a self-promoting whore.

Carebearstares all around...

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I lol'd at this. So hard.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited June 2008

I lol'd at this. So hard.

I think I actually said "Ice burn" out loud.

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2008
    Honestly, I haven't gotten around to it. I'll try to remember to download it.

wwtMask on
    edited June 2008
    Cool cool. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    Humberto Ramos was awesome on Impulse and pretty much defined the style of the character (even though Mike Wieringo designed him).

I haven't seen his newer stuff, but it all depends on the book he's on. He was perfect for Impulse but I can see him being "terrible" on other books.

whereas whoever did that cover is just plain bad

Garlic Bread on