As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Ravenholdt still only 35% on [General Chat And Questions] vendor

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    riz wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    What, only 10? From a WWS of a recent Brutallus kill from our server's leading guild, 18 out of 25 people had 375/375 Leatherworking. 15 out of 16 DPS had it.

Are you sure about this? I'm sure some guilds have a ridiculous amount of LWers for drums, but make sure you're reading WWS correctly, just because someone gains the drum effect doesn't mean they themselves are a LW, it's a party buff. Not to assume you wouldn't realize this but it's a fair guess, I've heard a few of my guildmates scoffing at someone else's WWS over amount of LWs and then someone else points out that it's not really as many as WWS would indicate.

That said we haven't been killing Illidan for that long, we have a few shitty DPSers, and we were ahead of the enrage at 50%. Probably gets harder to keep up as people start running out of mana and dying, we haven't even come close to killing Brutallus yet, but it doesn't require the entire raid to swap professions. That was just the people vying for world firsts...
    It definitely isn't required, but it does make it easier. And not even just Brutallus. Felmyst and the Eredar twins have some pretty severe timers associated with them. I see it as the same as raid stacking. It's definitely undesirable, but given the choice between getting an edge and clearing the content this week, or getting lucky or geared enough to do it next week, most guilds will choose to raid stack. Same deal with the LW.
    I'm fully expecting they'll nerf drums at some point though to make up for this, and then most people will grudgingly go back to old professions.

Entriech on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I thought they would nerf drums already after all the commotion about it since Sunwell release, but maybe they figure if people are willing to devote an entire profession slot to it, it's already enough of a sacrifice? Or they're lazy.

riz on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I thought they would nerf drums already after all the commotion about it since Sunwell release, but maybe they figure if people are willing to devote an entire profession slot to it, it's already enough of a sacrifice? Or they're lazy.

I have a hypothesis that Sunwell was the first instance designed with nerfs in mind. My evidence is the debuff to tanks. Removing that sounds like it would make some encounters like Ugly Brutty much easier.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I have a hypothesis that Sunwell was the first instance designed with nerfs in mind. My evidence is the debuff to tanks. Removing that sounds like it would make some encounters like Ugly Brutty much easier.
    Oh god, I dream of when Sunwell Radiance magically vanishes into the ether.

I'm guessing they haven't nerfed them yet because they haven't come up with a good way of doing it. Plus this would essentially be like 'buffing' SWP, given the number of guilds in there sporting a drumming corps, which I'm sure they definitely don't want to do. Honestly they may as well just leave it as it is and fix it in the expansion somehow.

Entriech on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Entriech wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Oh god, I dream of when Sunwell Radiance magically vanishes into the ether.

I'm guessing they haven't nerfed them yet because they haven't come up with a good way of doing it. Plus this would essentially be like 'buffing' SWP, given the number of guilds in there sporting a drumming corps, which I'm sure they definitely don't want to do. Honestly they may as well just leave it as it is and fix it in the expansion somehow.

I'm totally basing my math off of numbers that I pulled out of my ass, but it sounds like the difference in avoidance for the tanks would allow a healer to be pulled and a DPSer brought in. Depending on how good everyone is, that would go a long way toward compensating for so many drums. Well maybe not for 16 leatherworkers worth, but quite a few at least.

To be frank, that's a line in the sand. I'm not going to ask, suggest, hint or bring up the idea of people picking up leatherworking for those fights. The idea it's that much of an advantage is retarded. If other guilds wanna go that route, good for them.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Entriech wrote: »
    I'm fully expecting they'll nerf drums at some point though to make up for this, and then most people will grudgingly go back to old professions.
    Either they nerf drums or they remove the needs-Leatherworking-to-use requirement and just slightly nerf them. I'm just thoroughly uninterested in dropping 375 Engineering or Blacksmithing, powerleveling to 350 Leatherworking, and then dropping LW again to powerlevel my original profession back up to 450 when it's WotLK time (because, if they don't figure out the drums thing before expansion, they'll definitely scale it down at the expansion).

SabreMau on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So a friend and I decided that it would be fun playing through 1-70 in WoW during the summer. It's been years since I've played, and back then all I did was instanced content (warrior). A couple of questions:

What's a good server with a sizable low level population? I'm afraid at this point all the early content will be a ghosttown, and we do want to see all the instances at least once.

What's a good 2 man squad, with options to expand later? He's expressed interest playing a Paladin, and I'm kinda leaning towards a Warlock. Do those two play well together? Is he gonna struggle as a healer/tank if we add a third to our group later on?

Any other misc. advice? Last time I was totally enthralled by the elusive endgame, and as a result just did instances to try and gear up. This time around I want to take my time, do all the zone quests that I missed. Am I totally missing the point, or is this a common thing? Tips?

Thanks in advance!

rchou on
  • Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You're not crazy at all. I am playing through the low lvls with my gf and thoroughly enjoying myself. The mystique of new zones, new spells, new abilities -- it's really a fun ride. I believe the PA guys pointed out in a post when the game first came out that WoW is two very different games in one -- the ride from 1-60 (now 70, soon 80) and then the endgame content. I enjoy both aspects quite a bit.

You'll find everything is MUCH easier than you remember it. The game is definitely streamlined to getting to max lvl. Dungeons are easier, quests are more rewarding, and there are no more elite mobs roaming around waiting to gank you (with some exceptions - but you don't normally have to kill them for quests).

And pallies make great tanks & healers. Warlocks are tons of fun. You really can't go wrong -- find stuff you like and roll with it!

planetes42 on
  • Options
    sedosedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    rchou wrote: »
    So a friend and I decided that it would be fun playing through 1-70 in WoW during the summer. It's been years since I've played, and back then all I did was instanced content (warrior). A couple of questions:

What's a good server with a sizable low level population? I'm afraid at this point all the early content will be a ghosttown, and we do want to see all the instances at least once.

What's a good 2 man squad, with options to expand later? He's expressed interest playing a Paladin, and I'm kinda leaning towards a Warlock. Do those two play well together? Is he gonna struggle as a healer/tank if we add a third to our group later on?

Any other misc. advice? Last time I was totally enthralled by the elusive endgame, and as a result just did instances to try and gear up. This time around I want to take my time, do all the zone quests that I missed. Am I totally missing the point, or is this a common thing? Tips?

Thanks in advance!

1: Early content is actually pretty well populated, since everyone has alts and the game does still get new players. A high pop server will be your best bet. Although if you plan to play longterm, I recommend you check out guild progression on the boards. I'm still smarting from my choice of a server that is maybe going to down Brutallus within a week or two (I've got my fingers crossed)

2: Prot paladin/mage or mage/mage allows you to level and quest at a monstrous rate. Rogue/rogue allows for some hilarious antics and near-instant kills. Any healer or tank / any dps will allow you to get instance groups easily, while still being able to quest. But really, any pairing will work very well. WoW is a team game, you cannot make a team that will not function better than a single person. Really, you can't go wrong.

As someone who did something similar last summer and will be resuming it again in a few weeks time, I highly recommend the following things:
    -Get a vent server going (vent, not in game voice chat)
    -Screw with other people at any opportunity
    -Engineering is the most hilarious profession
    -Assemble a stockpile of booze before any WoW session
    -Reading boss strategies is for pansies
    -Instances have "recommended" levels. Fuck that noise
    -Download "The Boys Are Back In Town" - Thin Lizzie, "Eye of The Tiger" - Survivor, and any other songs you can think of, and then pipe them into vent at any appropriate time.

sedo on
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    sedo wrote: »
    -Download "It's raining men" - the Weather Girls, "Eye of The Tiger" - Survivor, and any other songs you can think of, and then pipe them into vent at any appropriate time.

Fixed?

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    sedosedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    sedo wrote: »
    -Download "It's raining men" - the Weather Girls, "Eye of The Tiger" - Survivor, and any other songs you can think of, and then pipe them into vent at any appropriate time.

Fixed?

As I typed that, I knew I forgot a big one. Fixed so goddamn hard.

sedo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The Geri Halliwell version works too.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Me and my buddy have been questing for a few months now (my main his alt) and hes a BM hunter and Im a fury warrior... we chew up mobs like theres no tommorow but there is alot of downtime due to a complete lack of heals.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    RE: The Mage/Pally teamup. I'll second this. My best friend plays a tankadin, my main is a mage, and it's a blast whenever we can team up. We did a fairly high percentage of the group 2/3 quests in TBC together so easily it was frightening.

We've also had considerable fun with his fury warrior + my enhancement shaman, but they aren't up to TBC levels yet. I keep a healing set that helps here too.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want to get a bunch of people together, like 34 or so. We jump on some server and four people roll orcs. The other 30 roll humans, and should all be rogues. The 30 humans start a guild called "The Foot" and the orc guys are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The orcs stay about 10 levels or more above the humans. And then just have battles in front of various capital cities. Also, costumes will need to be assembled. (it helps that there's a 'foot' pattern for tabards)

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    that is brilliant

brilliant!

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I want to get a bunch of people together, like 34 or so. We jump on some server and four people roll orcs. The other 30 roll humans, and should all be rogues. The 30 humans start a guild called "The Foot" and the orc guys are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The orcs stay about 10 levels or more above the humans. And then just have battles in front of various capital cities. Also, costumes will need to be assembled. (it helps that there's a 'foot' pattern for tabards)

You would become a legend for orchestrating this.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Must... resist... urge to... find appropriate... costumes...

Base of the outfit for The Foot could easily start with the low-leveled Defias set.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd get a yankistani WoW account to witness such happenings.

815165 on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Someone make a thread and get this rolling.
    Dibs on Raphael

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are there tailoring patterns for headbands of various colors?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Most of the ones I can think of offhand are the "circle in the middle" graphic... Seeing what I can dredge up.

Black
    Red
    Grey/Silver (green random drop)
    Green (green random drop)

Oooh, wait, check this out.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Thanks in advance!

If you don't have 4 other friends doing it with you, you won't be doing most of the low-level instances. Probably RFC, WC and SFK (or the Alliance equivalents), but Gnomer, RFK and places like that are dead.
    Even getting groups for SM is difficult. Hell, getting a group for Hellfire Ramparts is difficult.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Thanks in advance!

You two would make a solid team if you're interested in Arenas, actually, but basically any combo works fine for PVE stuff. Two DPS classes would be faster, but it's not really a big deal.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »

Most of the ones I can think of offhand are the "circle in the middle" graphic... Seeing what I can dredge up.

Black
    Red
    Grey/Silver (green random drop)
    Green (green random drop)

Oooh, wait, check this out.
    The TMNT mask colors are blue, orange, red, and purple:

Blue - Silk Headband (level 27 cloth, non-binding)
    Orange - Silksand Circlet (level 37 cloth, BoE)
    Red - Imposing Bandana (level 43 leather, BoE)
    Purple - Renegade Circlet (level 31 mail, BoE)

The only one where there's no best-fit match is purple. That one uses kind of a tiara model. The others are all headbands. Though technically what they wear is much closer to Cursed Vision of Sargeras, that a) doesn't have any eyeholes cut out, and b) is a unique model among equippable items.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Trying to find a good "cowl" for The Foot.

Nightsky Cowl is a drop.
    Thistlefur Cap looks more grey than black, and is a drop.
    Cowl of Necromancy looks like too rare a drop.
    Cloaked Hood is a moderately hard drop, but is leather and has +10 agility. Hmm, I may have to farm one of those up for my rogue to go with the Defias set she already has...
    Ironweave Cowl is a 22% drop from a BRD boss.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    probably the easiest way to orchestrate this would be to have the Orcs level to 10 and the humans not level at all, and then fight.

Although maybe Orcs = 30 Humans = 20 would work better.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Echo on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    gruul is tired of your shit, so he's taking a little time off raiding

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I think we're gonna go Paladin / Mage based off of everyone's suggestions. We're also probably gonna roll the two expansion so races, so any opinion on who has the cooler starting area / more fun to play?

Also, jesus WoW takes fucking forever to install. My DVD drive has been chugging along for the better part of two hours now. Hope it doesn't take too long to patch.

I'm still smarting from my choice of a server that is maybe going to down Brutallus within a week or two (I've got my fingers crossed)

So does that mean it's better to get on a server with high raid progression or low?

rchou on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Blood Elves are horrible. Nobody should roll a Blood Elf. Nobody. Unless you're absolutely dead set on being a Horde Paladin, in which case... no, you still shouldn't roll a Blood Elf.

Draenei are pretty cool though, and have neat starting areas/quests.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Does no one else find this pretty weird? Is it more common than I would think? It sounds pretty fucking strange.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Does no one else find this pretty weird? Is it more common than I would think? It sounds pretty fucking strange.
    I find it really weird and interesting. Was Gruul's name just replaced or was it another model? Either way, the name "Lok'than" doesn't exist in WoW nor anywhere else on the internet as per a Google search (excluding the one link going to a video about this issue by someone who doesn't realize people can't read text when a movie's shrunk to that size). Where'd the name come from?

Opty on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    Blood Elves are horrible. Nobody should roll a Blood Elf. Nobody. Unless you're absolutely dead set on being a Horde Paladin, in which case... no, you still shouldn't roll a Blood Elf.

Draenei are pretty cool though, and have neat starting areas/quests.

You're a bad person.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God! New pets at 70 take so much time to get to Loyalty Level 2. I just ground on Blood Elves for an hour then headed over to Quel'Danas to do the dailies. Finished the dailies and still nothing.
    Grrr...

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Invoice NinjaInvoice Ninja Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hope it doesn't take too long to patch.

Bwahaha!! Watch in terror as it downloads them one at a time for what feels like a hundred eternities!! D:

Invoice Ninja on
  • Options
    Invoice NinjaInvoice Ninja Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    RE: The Mage/Pally teamup. I'll second this. My best friend plays a tankadin, my main is a mage, and it's a blast whenever we can team up. We did a fairly high percentage of the group 2/3 quests in TBC together so easily it was frightening.

We've also had considerable fun with his fury warrior + my enhancement shaman, but they aren't up to TBC levels yet. I keep a healing set that helps here too.

YES! I don't even have to throw in my two cents - I can always count on the best advice ever to come from you fine folks.

Anyway, I roll as a tankadin, my better-half is an overpowered fire mage, and it's pure bliss!

Tankadins have two problematic concerns - obnoxious ranged jerkwad mobs, and having an agonizingly slow speed of killing things (huge groups withstanding).

The solution? You pull the entire county, the mage picks off the jackass casters, and then spams that giant flaming doom spell on the crowd you've been dancing around with. At this point loot the mountain of dead, high-five, and then repeat while laughing maniacally! It's glorious :D

Invoice Ninja on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hey it just got sunshiny and positive in here

oh invoice ninja is back :D

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

YES! I don't even have to throw in my two cents - I can always count on the best advice ever to come from you fine folks.

Anyway, I roll as a tankadin, my better-half is an overpowered fire mage, and it's pure bliss!

Tankadins have two problematic concerns - obnoxious ranged jerkwad mobs, and having an agonizingly slow speed of killing things (huge groups withstanding).

The solution? You pull the entire county, the mage picks off the jackass casters, and then spams that giant flaming doom spell on the crowd you've been dancing around with. At this point loot the mountain of dead, high-five, and then repeat while laughing maniacally! It's glorious :D

Adopt a Shadow Priest.

Seg on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A little Arena question: Now, I've come to understand that in order to get Arena points for a week, you need to play ten games. My question is, do you need the ten games for your character or for the Arena team? Say, you've got four people, two of them play the full ten games, the third one plays seven and the fourth only three. That's ten games total for the team, but do players three and four get points because they didn't play ten games?

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.