As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pelican Bay Fortune Teller 100% FIX (WARNING: SPOILERS)

clarson0420clarson0420 Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
Raslin posted a fix to this in another thread, it didn't work for some, myself included, but I found one that does.

BE WARNED: Doing this bypasses key story elements and sequences in the game, in fact you skip a good part of the pelican bay missions by doing this.

Khoo Edit: I'm going to edit this message for now. There's a crack going around that causes the Zadora bug, and I'd rather not have stuff like this floating around. If for some reason you're running into the Zadora bug on your copy, please contact support@playgreenhouse.com. Thanks!

clarson0420 on

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was of the understanding that the fortune teller was only broken if you pirated the game.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    I was of the understanding that the fortune teller was only broken if you pirated the game.

This is correct.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

This is correct.

I've been lied to! A friend of mine played it, and when he had this problem, he told me he bought it. I'ma go smack him after work.

JustinSane07 on
    edited May 2008
    I'm not saying that he didn't buy it - who knows, something else may have caused it in his copy, but we know that the crack right now 100% of the time breaks it.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not saying that he didn't buy it - who knows, something else may have caused it in his copy, but we know that the crack right now 100% of the time breaks it.

Way to ruin my fun. I think I'll go smack him anyways though.

JustinSane07 on
  • clarson0420clarson0420 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I've got no crack. I also had a few other bugs like this. Such as one with the gear where I couldn't give it to anne, and fixed those by doing events in a different sequence, but whatever.

EDIT: If you would still like to know how to fix this, contact me outside of the message boards. E-mail should be in my profile, steam name is /-sm-/clarson0420

clarson0420 on
    edited May 2008
    Understood! Btw - i just reread my note and wanted to clarify that I 100% believe that you bought the copy, it's just making sure the info doesn't get into the hands of the less scrupulous. My apologies if that came out wrong. :)

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • asretasret Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Damn. I purchased the game but don't have an internet connection at home to activate it - so I got the crack. Guess I'll have to try and get a refund after all.

asret on
  • j00sj00s Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    asret wrote: »
    Damn. I purchased the game but don't have an internet connection at home to activate it - so I got the crack.

So, let me get this straight: you purchased the game away from home, downloaded it away from home, but were able to get it to your house via burning it to a CD.

Then, not having an internet connection at home, you were completely unable to validate your purchased copy with the key you wrote down wherever you accessed the Hothead site, so you downloaded the crack from someplace not at your home, then took it home via a burned CD and patched your copy.

Yeah, right. You're a douche.

Edit: Saw your other post in the DRM thread about how you downloaded it "at work." There's no way somebody who has a job where they can download things and also has the knowledge of cracks doesn't have a home internet connection. Douche.

j00s on
    edited May 2008
    ok that is pretty funny

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited May 2008
    j00s wrote: »
    Damn. I purchased the game but don't have an internet connection at home to activate it - so I got the crack.

So, let me get this straight: you purchased the game away from home, downloaded it away from home, but were able to get it to your house via burning it to a CD.

Then, not having an internet connection at home, you were completely unable to validate your purchased copy with the key you wrote down wherever you accessed the Hothead site, so you downloaded the crack from someplace not at your home, then took it home via a burned CD and patched your copy.

Yeah, right. You're a douche.

Edit: Saw your other post in the DRM thread about how you downloaded it "at work." There's no way somebody who has a job where they can download things and also has the knowledge of cracks doesn't have a home internet connection. Douche.

What's so hard to understand about the above? Internet connection at work, no internet connection at home - usb flash drive to transfer files.

It'd cost me $1000 a year to get an internet connection at home, I'd rather spend that on games.
    ok that is pretty funny

Nice one, really makes me feel good about my purchase.

asret on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

What's so hard to understand about the above? Internet connection at work, no internet connection at home - usb flash drive to transfer files.

It'd cost me $1000 a year to get an internet connection at home, I'd rather spend that on games.
    ok that is pretty funny

Nice one, really makes me feel good about my purchase.

I hear NetZero does internet quite cheap - something like $9.99. That works out to... well, gee, quite a bit less than a thousand bucks a year.

A free AOL CD would cover you for the few minutes it would take to get it activated as well.

Someone called you a douche earlier. They were right.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    I hear NetZero does internet quite cheap - something like $9.99. That works out to... well, gee, quite a bit less than a thousand bucks a year.

A free AOL CD would cover you for the few minutes it would take to get it activated as well.

Congratulations for being as enlightened as the previous poster.

Thanks for the advice though, NetZero does look quite cheap - would certainly be an option if I lived in North America.

I should add to my earlier posting, part of the cost of getting internet for me is the phone line rental as well. That comes to about $500 a year where I live, and I'm getting by okay with just a cell phone at present. So to get internet I either need a wireless/cable service (unavailable), or a phone line plus dialup/dsl. That's why it's expensive.

Thanks for trying to help though.

asret on
    edited May 2008
    Ah, the internet, where the bullshit flows deep and fast. Somehow, someway, somewhere, you live in a place where you can't get high speed internet, you refuse to get dial up and it wouldn't be possible for you to hook your cellphone up to your computer, briefly, to activate a game you bought.

Right. Absolutely. Well, why not lug the PC into work and activate? Let me guess, it's bolted to the foundations of the building.

Where exactly do you live again? The democratic republic of Upper Doucheslyvania?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ah, the internet, where the bullshit flows deep and fast. Somehow, someway, somewhere, you live in a place where you can't get high speed internet, you refuse to get dial up and it wouldn't be possible for you to hook your cellphone up to your computer, briefly, to activate a game you bought.

Right. Absolutely. Well, why not lug the PC into work and activate? Let me guess, it's bolted to the foundations of the building.

Where exactly do you live again? The democratic republic of Upper Doucheslyvania?

Actually, Upper Doucheslyvania stopped being a republic earlier this year, when asret became their king.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Before you jump all over the guy did any of you consider that he might have a laptop? I have one. I bought the game and downloaded it while and work, and then played it when I got home...where I...also do NOT have an internet connection at the moment.

I did however have the common sense to write down the activation key.

Orochi_Rockman on
    edited May 2008
    Before you jump all over the guy did any of you consider that he might have a laptop? I have one. I bought the game and downloaded it while and work, and then played it when I got home...where I...also do NOT have an internet connection at the moment.

I did however have the common sense to write down the activation key.

Having a laptop is an incredibly poor excuse for his particular behaviour. By its very nature it's portable, making the "I have no internet at home" point utterly moot. Take the laptop to a connection. There's one out there somewhere - hell, even folks in remote rural areas are forming their own mesh networks from a single shoestring running over fifty kilometers through burning wastelands and desolate, barren plains.

Simply put, an internet connection is required to acquire the game, it's not unreasonable that it also requires a one time use for activation. Would it be great if there were no DRM? Sure. Can you really bitch if you're the less-than-1% who seems incapable of using the interwebs on their computer for whatever reason? Of course - but it makes you a douche.

Willeth wrote:
    Actually, Upper Doucheslyvania stopped being a republic earlier this year, when asret became their king.

Touché.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Congratulations for being as enlightened as the previous poster.

Thanks for the advice though, NetZero does look quite cheap - would certainly be an option if I lived in North America.

I should add to my earlier posting, part of the cost of getting internet for me is the phone line rental as well. That comes to about $500 a year where I live, and I'm getting by okay with just a cell phone at present. So to get internet I either need a wireless/cable service (unavailable), or a phone line plus dialup/dsl. That's why it's expensive.

Thanks for trying to help though.

I guess I have to ask: where the hell do you live that you can only purchase a phone line on a yearly basis?

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Crashtard wrote: »
    I guess I have to ask: where the hell do you live that you can only purchase a phone line on a yearly basis?

I believe we've cleared that up: He's the Prince Regent of Upper Douchesylvania.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • RedeboRedebo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I believe we've cleared that up: He's the Prince Regent of Upper Douchesylvania.

I don't have anything nearly as witty to add, but I did want to register my vote for the guy being a douche. Its obvious that he's got a crack and his perverse sense of entitlement makes him think that he can bully the developers into posting a workaround under the auspices of not wanting to alienate other users in Upper Douchesylvania who also don't have internet connections, but seem to be able to post on forums and download 212mb video games.

Redebo on
    edited May 2008

No, the place I live can get all of those things, but to do any of them would be expensive. Unless going for a twelve month contract the high speed providers charge between $150 - $200 for setup costs. Even dialup would cost ~$50 for the minimum one months service (mainly for the phone line).

I wouldn't even know where to begin with hooking up my cell phone to my computer.

Lugging my desktop in to work would solve the problem, but I can't be bothered doing that.

Oh, and shouldn't it be Douchesylvania? :)

asret on
    edited May 2008

No, the place I live can get all of those things, but to do any of them would be expensive. Unless going for a twelve month contract the high speed providers charge between $150 - $200 for setup costs. Even dialup would cost ~$50 for the minimum one months service (mainly for the phone line).

I wouldn't even know where to begin with hooking up my cell phone to my computer.

Lugging my desktop in to work would solve the problem, but I can't be bothered doing that.

Oh, and shouldn't it be Douchesylvania? :)

So you're at work now right? On a Saturday. (or Sunday if you're where I think you are)

Incidentally, what timezone is Upper Douchesylvania located in?

Redebo on
    edited May 2008
    Redebo wrote: »

I don't have anything nearly as witty to add, but I did want to register my vote for the guy being a douche. Its obvious that he's got a crack and his perverse sense of entitlement makes him think that he can bully the developers into posting a workaround under the auspices of not wanting to alienate other users in Upper Douchesylvania who also don't have internet connections, but seem to be able to post on forums and download 212mb video games.

Great detective job there Redebo, I mentioned having the crack earlier in the thread. At the time I decided I'd rather get a crack and play than start whining for a refund.

As it is I've just decided to whine about the DRM system instead - perhaps they'll come up with a system that will still enable them to protect their product but also let me use it as I wish. Maybe an activation tool which would build a profile of my system which I could then take to their site and have activated for specific products? Maybe it could spit out a licence file for that product on that system which I could use? Something similar to the activation for GalCiv2?

As someone mentioned in another thread it'd be useful for people in the military to have an alternate activation method.

asret on
    edited May 2008
    So you're at work now right? On a Saturday. (or Sunday if you're where I think you are)

GMT+1200, so Sunday :)

asret on
    edited May 2008

GMT+1200, so Sunday :)

That puts you, where, New Zealand?

If you can't bother to lug your PC in to work (a relatively simple solution, given the convoluted path you've taken to acquire the game) then I doubt the devs can be bothered to come up with a solution for what amounts to less than one percent of one percent of the people that bought it.

I rather hope they don't. It'll teach you to be hardy and scavenge a connection anywhere you go. Hell, you might even get the Boy Scouts Internet Acquisition Merit Badge™ out of this.

Good luck, young Prince.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited May 2008
    If you can't bother to lug your PC in to work (a relatively simple solution, given the convoluted path you've taken to acquire the game) then I doubt the devs can be bothered to come up with a solution for what amounts to less than one percent of one percent of the people that bought it.

I rather hope they don't. It'll teach you to be hardy and scavenge a connection anywhere you go. Hell, you might even get the Boy Scouts Internet Acquisition Merit Badge™ out of this.

It is a rather simple solution, I just don't want to do it every time I buy a game from playgreenhouse though :)

Whining about the activation system like this just lets them know that it stopped one of their customers from playing the game. I thought they'd find that sort of feedback valuable.

Given the amount of flak some people have taken for complaining about the DRM here I thought I'd post my experience with it as well.

asret on
    edited June 2008
    Fair enough. To cancel your whine, I anti-whine: It's fine the way it is, get a connection hippy.

World's cruel, no?

Edit: Also - you say it stopped one of their customers from buying the game? But you claim you bought the game... CAUGHT RED HANDED, PIRATE! AVAST!

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Fair enough. To cancel your whine, I anti-whine: It's fine the way it is, get a connection hippy.

World's cruel, no?

Edit: Also - you say it stopped one of their customers from buying the game? But you claim you bought the game... CAUGHT RED HANDED, PIRATE! AVAST!

Stopped from playing, not from buying :)

asret on
  • j00sj00s Registered User new member
    edited June 2008

World's cruel, no?

If you actually bought it, that is.

Try to put a positive spin on it all you want, but you used a crack on a game that you "bought" at work, then bitched about how a game you needed an internet connection to acquire in the first place required an internet connection to activate.

OMG SHOCK! Am I right? I mean, how terrible is it that they didn't put it in the system requirements that an internet connection was required, when you needed an internet connection to access the game and the system requirements in the first place?

j00s on
    edited June 2008
    j00s wrote: »

World's cruel, no?

If you actually bought it, that is.

Try to put a positive spin on it all you want, but you used a crack on a game that you "bought" at work, then bitched about how a game you needed an internet connection to acquire in the first place required an internet connection to activate.

OMG SHOCK! Am I right? I mean, how terrible is it that they didn't put it in the system requirements that an internet connection was required, when you needed an internet connection to access the game and the system requirements in the first place?

I was all for bashing the young Prince of Upper Douchesylvania but I've come to like him a bit and truly believe that he's purchased the game yet cannot get an internet connection at home.

That being said, people like him have to represent 1/10th of 1% of sales for this game and as the old adage goes, "you can't please all of the people all of the time."

I'd much rather have this one time activation then some draconian process where I'm validating keys all over the place. The age of digital distribution is here, its time to either be on the net, or completely off of it.

Kudos to asret for keeping his cool w/ all the ribbing we've given him/her in this thread!

Redebo on
  • ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd actually argue that the rate of people who have an internet connection for downloading, but not for activating is much less than 1 in 1000. Sure, there is a small number of people without internet access at all, but they:
    1) Couldn't download the game in the first place.
    2) Probably are not the core audience for a web-comic, or a game based on a web-comic.

Compare that to the rate of self-entitled douchebag pirates, and a web-based one-time DRM activation for a download-only game is not really such a burden.

Chenjesu on
  • JubeJube Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Just chipping in to say I live in NZ and internet is pretty ridiculously simple to get. If you don't want a phone line then yeah I can see the price increase though.

Still why not have a phone line? They're handy if nothing else...

Jube on
  • yuttyutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is too funny.

Tycho rants for a decade about how shitty, insulting, and irritating DRM in games is.

Penny Arcade releases a game, which includes DRM, which does nothing but cause problems for legitimate customers. Pirated copies are as easy to acquire as the legitimate version of the game.

Mindless fanboys defend the DRM with the same bullshit EA's PR department has fed us for years.

You guys were amazingly easy to buy.

yutt on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yutt wrote: »
    Tycho rants for a decade about how shitty, insulting, and irritating DRM in games is.
    I suppose it's a lot easier to complain about it when you are on the consumer side of it. I imagine that releasing your own game and seeing your own money go down the drain when people pirate would make most of us reconsider our anti-DRM stance.
    That being said, I can't believe that people who participate in pirating games would have bought said games if they weren't able to crack them. They almost always beat the DRM and if they can not bypass it, I doubt that any of them would go out and actually buy a legitimate copy of the game.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
    edited June 2008
    This is too funny.

Penny Arcade releases a game, which includes DRM, which does nothing but cause problems for legitimate customers. Pirated copies are as easy to acquire as the legitimate version of the game.

Mindless fanboys defend the DRM with the same bullshit EA's PR department has fed us for years.

You guys were amazingly easy to buy.

I had absolutely no problem with the DRM. It validated in less than 10 seconds and I was 100% licenced and ready to play.

You state that the DRM does nothing but cause problems yet you offer no evidence. In fact, I've seen less than a dozen people that it actually caused a problem for. Some quick calculations say that its effected less then one tenth of one percent of the "paying" customers.

Sounds like this DRM works pretty damn good to me pirate.

Redebo on
    edited June 2008
    This is too funny.

Tycho rants for a decade about how shitty, insulting, and irritating intrusive machine breaking DRM like Starforce in games is.

You're an idiot. Like many things in this world, there are degrees. You seem to be incapable of seeing the spectrum of DRM.

In short: shut your yap. Your original premise is wrong and your conclusions are spurious.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yutt's been trolling this issue for weeks now. The way he speaks about DRM makes me think that he doesn't exactly understand how this particular game's anti-theft system works. It's been discussed multiple times but he keeps thinking this is a real problem.

Rainslick just accesses the net once during installation. Just once. No analogy involving a businessman on an airplane or anything of the sort applies here unless said businessman downloaded the game, waited until he was no longer within wifi range on his laptop and then proceeded to try and install the game. The game plays fine no-matter where you are in the world so long as you purchased the game lawfully and installed it anywhere with even the barest of internet connections. It's not a constant signal tracking your every move to report back the the market-research bots in silo 8 of the corporate volcano lair of HotHead Games - but that's an argument for another thread.

Don't pirate this game or you'll end up with glitches which you will then need to patch, which is a pain in the butt.

I feel bad for arset. It would frustrate me to no end if I had to use valuable work time to download video games at the office only to find out that the copy will not play unless I had an active internet connection. I'd probably get so pissed I'd grab one of the larger rocks in my cave and smash my computer to bits. Then I'd angrily stomp back out into the wilderness towards town to post on the internet about it.

TankHammer on
    edited June 2008
    I feel bad for arset. It would frustrate me to no end if I had to use valuable work time to download video games at the office only to find out that the copy will not play unless I had an active internet connection. I'd probably get so pissed I'd grab one of the larger rocks in my cave and smash my computer to bits. Then I'd angrily stomp back out into the wilderness towards town to post on the internet about it.

^this was a beautiful image :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jube wrote: »
    Just chipping in to say I live in NZ and internet is pretty ridiculously simple to get.
    "High-speed" internet on the other hand...

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
    edited June 2008

^this was a beautiful image :)

:)

So I'm a anrgy intolerant caveman? Seems like I fit right in here :)

asret on