As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of Keyboards and Gaming

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
I just don't know what it is guys, but I cannot find a good keyboard to save my fucking life. I have touched quite a number at a best buy or something and they just don't give me a good feel like my current 4 year old HP keyboard does. It's light, slim, doesn't bog down my system with heavy drivers or anything, and the buttons depress and respond smoothly. The issues, it just isn't take great. It can only have 3 keys being used at once, and makes a lot of clakity clak noise. So I am asking you guys of what you know about the following keyboards that seem to be the best of the best. I don't mind shoving out extra bucks, just not for crap... EDIT: Oh crap, I forgot: They also have to support Vista 64. That's a biggie.

Logitech G11
I don't think I will be using the mini screen so the more expensive G15 is probably out since this is the next best thing. A lot of people are behind this puppy and I am leaning a bit as well, but it does look a bit bulky and I am not so sure about these 'macro' buttons. I just want extra buttons that from within a game I can assign stuff too, not type up a 40 line If-Statement for a macro that I will use in a single game.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126009

Razer Lycosa
Initially this keyboard had some driver issues about some of the things not programming right, but again, I am looking to do this all in game and without doing any cooky macros. Another thing was that apparently the USB slots on the keyboard weren't strong enough to power some USB devices like a razer mouse, but that does not bother me.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114004

Saitek
Or should I just go with something a bit cheaper. No fancy crap, but no headaches and more money left on the side as well. What do you folks think that have had this keyboard? I have heard that it is quite light and zippy and works good, but again, is lacking in the features side of things a bit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823175104

Thanks for your input guys, I really am anal about these things and need a good keyboard that just feels good.

Lucky Cynic on

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    logi G15

somewhere cheaper than Best Buy

Deusfaux on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thankyou for your input. but uh, can you give me reasons why? Perhaps the keys really feel good or the screen is worth it?

Specifically as to why I should take it over the G11 which doesn't have ugly orange, a stupid LCD, nor does it have fewer programmable buttons.

Lucky Cynic on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Can't a simple cheap keyboard do the job, or do you have to press 4+ keys at the same time?

I'm running a PCLine £7 ($14) keyboard here, no clackity sounds unless I'm really hammering those keys.

Having not tried any of the 3 you found, I'd probably pick the Saitek, mainly because I've yet to find a use for macro keys, and because it's relatively cheap.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I do have a G15. The first generation with the screen on a nice swivel and more programmable buttons. The thing is huge, but I love it. Through lurking here found out about the SirReal plugin which I absolutely love. I didn't think I'd use the screen for more than a clock originally, but I've used it for a lot more than that. Having the little display for World of Warcraft stuff was pretty cool when I still played that game, and I've been told other games have apps written for them as well. Also, programming the macros was extremely easy. You can record the keystrokes as you would use them. I set up a profile for Counter Strike: Source so that I could just hit those keys and it would go through and buy a certain weapon set, armor, and grenades, all with one keystroke.
    I was able to pick mine up on sale for around $60 from either newegg or micro center. I don't recall which. It'll definitely let you hit more than three buttons at a time, as some of the insane macros I ended up having to write for WoW got really really convoluted since I used the G15 plugin for WoW where you could set up all three of the different banks. I had everything I needed and some things I really didn't no more than two keystrokes away. It was really nice.

Bolthorn on
    edited May 2008
    There are a few games actually where yeah, I do need four keys to issue commands and my current keyboard can only do 3. And again guys, I am not looking for Macro keys, but rather extra keys that I can map stuff to with an in-game keyboard menu.

Lucky Cynic on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Razer Lycosa; no issues in Vista and the keys feel GREAT. Also, there's a solid feel behind the keyboard, the old tarantula had this weird bendy feel.

1ddqd on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love my first revision G15. The keys are so nice to type on.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Optimus Maximus is finally being released. :)
    June 11
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/9836/

All yours for the low low price of $1,589.99!!!!!!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd go with the eclipse, i'm currently using a logitech G15 v1, but I really don't think the extras (macro buttons, LCD) were worth the price premium over the eclipse, which is a very solid keyboard for a great price.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SteelSeries 7G? ^_^

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The G15 is just too huge -- it soaks up a lot of extra room that I need for mousing. I really long for a reasonably sized keyboard that is perhaps connected to a premium mousepad surface.

Storm Shadow on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What game requires you to press 4 keys at the same time? I'm quite curious now o_O

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    What game requires you to press 4 keys at the same time? I'm quite curious now o_O

If I am running Diagonal in some MMOs, that means I am using W & A or W & D.

Then if I need to use a hotbar key I will hit the number as well. So an additional key to depress may be 9, 7 or 0. But I may also have several hotbars and they have different strokes so my 2nd hot bar may be requiring SHIFT to be held down and then the number, where as my 3rd hot bar requires control...

Soo.. To go over it once more, W+A (Movement) and the SHIFT+0 for spell. 4 keys. :3

Lucky Cynic on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    honestly, if you really thing you will need 36 macro keys for one single application you are nuts. the G15v2 does 18 macro functions(as each key can be assigned 3 separate functions). The orange is really not that ugly, and the LCD does have it's uses.

IT's also a good 2-3" less wide than the G11, and that makes a huge difference.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited May 2008
    Alright guys, a bit of an update. I found a Razer Lycosa at a local Best Buy, got it for $80 which is usually what the price is since it hasn't really dipped down much past that. It feels really responsive, and while it doesn't have any extra keys, I suppose I can just reprogram the Insert, Delete, Home, End, Page up and Down keys as well as the arrows so they are better fit for my games. :3

I really like how it is easy to press the keys in, they are low profile and they have a great rubbery velvet finish that is like how their mice feel, but even softer. :D

Lucky Cynic on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm a huge fan of my Zboard. I'm running it without any of the drivers so the media keys work with any of the programs I have that play music, and the thing is just so damned solid.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited May 2008
    Oh man, a Zboard? I have heard many horror stories, and not just from the cheap "Lol WoW buttons" keyboards either.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was surprised, actually. I'm using it like a normal keyboard, and have been for probably close to a year now. The keyset idea was alright I guess, but I didn't buy it for that purpose. I like big heavy keys, and the keys on this thing are comparable to a typewriter. Also I don't have to worry about disgusting shit caught in the keys, because I can just pull the keyset out and clean it from there.

Mustachio Jones on
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've been a Saitek fan for a few years now with their simple, yet comfortable design with the Eclipse keyboard. Now they are coming out with a new one called Cyborg? It's apparently hot off the assembly line, what do you guys think about it? Personally my experience with the Eclipse has been so good I may drop the cash for this one.

Doomulon on
    edited May 2008
    It looks nice, but it's not enough to pry me away from my G15.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have a Saitek Eclipse and I recommend it. It looks good, it's not too big and it stands up to being punched full force after dieing to a crit rocket FOR THE THIRD TIME AFTER ONLY 15 SECONDS OF HAVING RESPAWNED!

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Got a G15 here, seriously. You'll use the LCD, I use it all the time. Frankly i've come to depend on it quite a bit, quite a few programs support it now and if they don't there are usually third party plugins you can use.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I currently use a g15 as well, picked it up pretty recently from ncix.com for 79.96 cdn. I have no idea why its so cheap there when at like tigerdirect its like 129.99 cdn. Maybe there off the back of a truck or something lol.

EDIT: Damn they have the g15 v2 on sale right now for 69 cdn...

Dixon on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll support the G15 too

great keyboard and I use the LCD and almost all the macros all the time

Xaquin on
    edited June 2008
    I just can't see myself using the LCD on the G15. Sure it looks really cool and I could see it having a million uses, but I prefer to keep my eyes on the screen rather than on my hands.

I just got my Cyborg in the mail today and it's like an Eclipse on steroids! Sure, it doesn't have an LCD display, but it does have 12 extra macro keys (the positioning of which is debatable in usefulness, but cool nonetheless). I really love the 'Cyborg Mode' it goes into. It disables the Windows key and switches on the macro keys as well as variable color backlights!

Yes, this is one badass keyboard for style. You can set the wasd keys, the main keyboard, the arrow keys, the number pad, and the macro keys to different colors. I haven't played with the colors too much, but it looks like there's red, green, yellow, amber and lime. You can set the whole keyboard to any of those colors or any part mentioned to a specific color (the macro keys on either side are linked, so they can't be separate colors).

In all, it feels just like my Eclipse as far as keystrokes are concerned, so I feel right at home with it. Check it out if you like the look!

Doomulon on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like the color scheming idea, but the colors seem a little "pimp" for me. Hope it works out :)

1ddqd on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I fianlly got that msn app on my lcd to work, it's pretty cool the messages and shit come on the lcd and I can type back without even having to go to windows.
    Also the only this I wish for would be to change the colors on the keys to like green or something to match the rest of my rig

Dixon on
    edited June 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I like the color scheming idea, but the colors seem a little "pimp" for me. Hope it works out :)

After seeing it in a dark room, it looks less pimp and more, control-console-on-the-USS-Enterprise ish. I was really hoping for blue to be an option so I could set up a complementary color scheme, but alas to no avail. Even so, I love it. I have yet to try out the macro keys though, been too busy with other things.

My next investment may be the Cyborg Mouse, but it looks kind-of scary...

Doomulon on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I still use the keyboard that came with the Compaq I got in high school, like 8 years ago. I just like the feel, and it too supports 4+ key presses, surprisingly. It has only one row of extra buttons, that I never use. Except for maybe the play/pause. When I remember to do so instead of mousing...

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I still use the keyboard that came with the Compaq I got... like 8 years ago.
    We probably use the same keyboard. I just haven't found one that I like better.

Bama on
    edited June 2008
    Bama wrote: »

Likewise. I've had several keyboards since then, but I still have and love that old keyboard.

Rohan on

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rohan wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »

Likewise. I've had several keyboards since then, but I still have and love that old keyboard.

That Compaq was, in most other respects a piece of shit, but the keyboard and mouse I got with it are still going strong.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    For me it has been a tough time finding a keyboard that fits my hands well enough and has comfortable keys to press. A few years ago I settled on the Eclipse, and I was very pleased to find that the Cyborg has essentially identical key layout and feels the same on each keystroke.

One thing I am very picky about is key layout. I hate keyboards that tend to shift the key rows in odd patterns from qwer to asdf to zxcv, etc. I also have a hard time with keys that seem to be crammed too close together. It hurts my fingers to have to bend inwards to reach some keys.

Who else notices this on some keyboards? It's almost like they weren't designed for comfort, but torture...

Doomulon on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    I currently use a g15 as well, picked it up pretty recently from ncix.com for 79.96 cdn. I have no idea why its so cheap there when at like tigerdirect its like 129.99 cdn. Maybe there off the back of a truck or something lol.

The v2 is inferior to the v1 from what I've read. Part of why its cheaper..

Phoenix-D on
    edited June 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

The v2 is inferior to the v1 from what I've read. Part of why its cheaper..

Lies.

Rohan on