As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My RSPD Walkthrough posted on gamefaqs!

JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
Here it is:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/935227/52906

Basically, if anyone wants to look it over and make any suggestions, or, you know, use it, that's great.

God, this took ages to go up. They don't rush at gamefaqs.

ps. Any mod who feels this is inappropriate just, you know... take it down... i guess...

Jazmeister on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    This is rad.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Why thank you kindly!
    I spent so long trying to turn that into a bioshock reference. Too long.

Jazmeister on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Suggestion for the last boss fight...
    I have the "use no bandages" achievement for the last boss. I did it through using Speed Down potions on him until I ran out of them, then started using Attack Down. So even if I missed a block late, when my party were at lower HPs, it would not hurt. It made the fight so much easier when I started doing this. Defense Down is a complete waste of the debuff. However, do not use a debuff potion until he uses his opening potion buff. No need to waste one of yours.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Suggestion for the last boss fight...
    I have the "use no bandages" achievement for the last boss. I did it through using Speed Down potions on him until I ran out of them, then started using Attack Down. So even if I missed a block late, when my party were at lower HPs, it would not hurt. It made the fight so much easier when I started doing this. Defense Down is a complete waste of the debuff. However, do not use a debuff potion until he uses his opening potion buff. No need to waste one of yours.

I can definitely use that for an xbox section; we don't have to worry about acheivements on the pc, though. You said the defense down is a debuff; it doesn't work? Or are you saying that he'll just override it with a buff of his own, and I should wait until he's used one to override it?

Good stuff, thanks :) Hey, don't feel you can't pick me up on wording and blah blah... is there any way you want to be credited, or is JustinSane of the PA forums fine?

Jazmeister on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No no, what I'm saying is that the Defense down one is the least effective for this boss....

This was my full strategy for beating this guy, and it works great whether or not you're going for the No Bandages achievement:
    He's weak to Hot Toddys and Dynamite. I made sure before the fight I had max of both.

When the fight begins, Silent One's first move is to use an Attack Up potion. You can ignore this...

Your first moves should be tossing both Dynamites and all 8 Hot Toddys, plus any extra friends attacks that are available (T. Kemper and such). The Toddys do about as much damage as your normal attacks, but more importantly you can chain them so that Silent One can not do anything for quite a while. I even used the Clown Noses because even though he is not weak to them, they still do damage and delay his first attack that much longer. The amount of damage you do with the item barage will take him almost to his Phase 2 state.

You'll notice during this item barage as well that his Attack Up potion wears off, so you just completely negated it. Once you're out of Toddys, Noses, Dynamites and Friends, hit him with a Speed Down potion. This will slow his attacks tremendously. When you see the Speed Down wear off, throw up another. I generally use Gabe for my items because he does the least damage but has the fastest recharge rate. When you run out of Speed Downs, use the Attack Down potions instead. This should be pretty late into the fight and it'll cause his unblocked attacks to do 1-5 damage.

The only issue here is that Tycho has the least HP and lowest defense of all your characters, meaning that blocking is critical. Even with Speed Down potions, Silent Ones attacks hurt a lot if they are not blocked.

Offensively, wait for your special attacks. The regular attacks are more frequent, but the total damage is less. Don't bother with the Triple Team attack either, it might do ~3400 damage, but you can do two Gabes (~1000), a player (~1200) and a Tycho in that time (~1600), which is much more than the 3400.

I can also write up when to time for the blocks, the guy only has 6 attacks (2 for each phase).

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    KsterKster Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have a quick question about some of the 360 achievements; I'm playing through it a second time to get the stuff I've missed.

I have all the parts and artwork and four albums (you get the final one after beating the game right?).

1) Is there anything else I'm missing? And do you just get the achievement for collecting all unlockables after beating the boss?
    2)Does the 'beat every enemy achivement' unlock in the same way?

Only reason I'm asking is because you can't go back once you've done the boss without starting again.

P.S. Great FAQ, been waiting for one for a while. Helped me find the last albums and artworks.

Kster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Kster: Did you buy the horn from Kurtis Swindell? I think that's required; check out the other guy on gamefaqs, he has an xbox-specific faq, it's very minimalist though, it won't help you with any side-quests.

And thankyou, I'm glad you found it useful :)

JustinSane:
    This is a very good strategy; I'll include it, if you like, as an alternative strategy, or a main strategy if I test it and it's better. I don't really prefer it, myself; I like blocking attacks, I like healing, and although the attack juggling mechanic is a way that Hothead is intentionally rewarding attack stackers, it still feels too much like an exploit to me.

What happened was, It was the end of the boss, he had 200 health (lol!), and I had all 3 guys charged after using Fuschia. So it was more of a joke than real advice. I definately found that the defense down worked better than just attack ups; I think that if you're going for just increasing your damage per hit, defense debuffs and attack buffs are a natural choice; you're obviously a big fan of the "dont let him get a hit in" strategy, which is definitely a good strategy and worth mentioning.

Thanks for your help!

Jazmeister on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Both achievements unlock after completing the game, yes.

1. Do you have the broken phonograph horn thing from the shop guy outside the entrance to Pelican's Bay? Did you finish the hobo meat quest? Did you collect all three invisible mime items?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jazmeister wrote: »
    Kster: Did you buy the horn from Kurtis Swindell? I think that's required; check out the other guy on gamefaqs, he has an xbox-specific faq, it's very minimalist though, it won't help you with any side-quests.

And thankyou, I'm glad you found it useful :)

JustinSane:
    This is a very good strategy; I'll include it, if you like, as an alternative strategy, or a main strategy if I test it and it's better. I don't really prefer it, myself; I like blocking attacks, I like healing, and although the attack juggling mechanic is a way that Hothead is intentionally rewarding attack stackers, it still feels too much like an exploit to me.

What happened was, It was the end of the boss, he had 200 health (lol!), and I had all 3 guys charged after using Fuschia. So it was more of a joke than real advice. I definately found that the defense down worked better than just attack ups; I think that if you're going for just increasing your damage per hit, defense debuffs and attack buffs are a natural choice; you're obviously a big fan of the "dont let him get a hit in" strategy, which is definitely a good strategy and worth mentioning.

Thanks for your help!

Well you still have to block attacks with my strategy, it's just that they happen less often for the first two phases, then hit for a lot less for the last one if you miss a block.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'll definitely give it a run through tonight. I have a night off, so I'll be up and doing nothing better all night.

Jazmeister on
  • Options
    KsterKster Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Both achievements unlock after completing the game, yes.

1. Do you have the broken phonograph horn thing from the shop guy outside the entrance to Pelican's Bay? Did you finish the hobo meat quest? Did you collect all three invisible mime items?

Yes, yes and yes. Just trying out your method of killing the boss. I've died twice so far, but I have to do it without healing for the achievement. :) Might take me a while. Got him down to his last phase though.

UPDATE: Well, it took about five or six (frustrating) attempts but I finally managed it using JustinSane07's method. Thanks for your help, four achievements in one.

Kster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, it's clear that xbox users need some sort of thing for using no healing then, if everyone's gonna be trying to kill as many birds as possible with one stone.

Jazmeister on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You know what, I can't see an actual benefit from defense downs; attack ups seem to work awesome though, still. I'm amending the faq to reflect this.

No healing items is a hellish restriction. Why else do I have full medkits and gauzes, but for to use them against the final boss? As for doing it, my first try ended in his last 10,000 hp, but it still ended pretty hard. His last set of attacks are really fast, although I found them easy to block. Still, I missed once, and... all gone. I would hate for my skill as a gamer to be truly measured against this scout's badge from hell.

Maybe attack downs are more important if you can block well? I'm still investigating...

Jazmeister on