As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mark Millar's One Man Mega Event: 1985 starts this week

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I can see the kid helping people figure out how to take on these villains with or without heroes, but Galactus is on that cover. How the fuck does anyone stop that?

VOLTRON! FORM BLAZING SWORD!

Algertman on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kick-Ass #2 was pretty rockin, I liked the extra goodies in the back showing a page from script to penicls to inks to colors.

Plus a sweet big ol 1985 teaser.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    1985. The Marvel Heroes team up with Anakin Skywalker.

Squashua on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish I was as cool as Mark Millar.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I am bumping this shit because 1985 starts this week and you homps need to buy it.

Also I need to catch up on his Fantastic Four

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I am bumping this shit because 1985 starts this week and you homps need to buy it.

I am going to pick up the first issue solely on your insistence Bale.

smokmnky on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

I am going to pick up the first issue solely on your insistence Bale.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • TravisLeggeTravisLegge Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    His Fantastic Four aren't assholes

and... uh.. yeah thats all I got.

Didn't his Reed Richards start a concentration camp in the negative zone?

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

A prison is somewhat different to a concentration camp

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited May 2008
    Maybe all the villains are thinking really hard in there?

smokmnky on
    edited May 2008

but if he calls it a prison he can't make the perfectly apt Hitler comparisons!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008

hey, hitler had prisons too. like castle wolfenstein. that was a prison.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I thought it was Jenkins, not Millar who made the Nazi comparisons.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited May 2008
    I was actually referring to Travis

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm confused, isn't the negative zone prison stuff from Civil War? That was before Millar was writing the book... right? Or is there something in the latest run about this that I, as a chumpy TPB reader, is not yet aware of?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Millar wrote Civil War

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's a fair point... :oops: I was just thinking about the actual FF book.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    After Ultimates, Wanted, and Civil War, it is going to take a lot of convincing for me to go anywhere near Millar, sweet sweet art or not.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2008
    but Ultimates was awesome

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    Well, you can start by saying the stuff he's working on right now is really nothing like any of those three titles.

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2008
    I don't want to derail this thread with a debate about Ultimates. I didn't like it.

DouglasDanger on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, you can start by saying the stuff he's working on right now is really nothing like any of those three titles.

With the exception of bad pop culture references.

Algertman on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    well, at least in 1985 the pop culture references might be about Ghostbusters or something

DJ Eebs on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    We see a little bit more of the villain. The villain may not be quite who seems at first. There’s a mystery running through this thing. This also ties-in with [my “Wolverine” storyline] “Old Man Logan” and also ties-in with my run on “Fantastic Four.” “Marvel 1985” is essentially the origin of the big villain coming up in “Fantastic Four.” [Series artist] Bryan [Hitch] and I have Dr. Doom’s two masters, the guys who trained Dr. Doom, coming into the story towards the end of the year. “1985” stands very much on its own as a series, but also as the origin of the Fantastic Four’s greatest villain ever, the guys who trained Dr. Doom, essentially.

This is from a Mark Millar interview over at CBR. I was under the impression this "one man event" was just him bullshitting and PR spinning to make more people buy his books. Id idn't actually believe they were linked in any way. Seems I was wrong and the 1985 villain is going to be the villain in one of his FF arcs.

KVW on
    edited May 2008
    Yes you were wrong

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Algertman wrote: »

With the exception of bad pop culture references.

1985: Skrulls Kill Betamax.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited May 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    We see a little bit more of the villain. The villain may not be quite who seems at first. There’s a mystery running through this thing. This also ties-in with [my “Wolverine” storyline] “Old Man Logan” and also ties-in with my run on “Fantastic Four.” “Marvel 1985” is essentially the origin of the big villain coming up in “Fantastic Four.” [Series artist] Bryan [Hitch] and I have Dr. Doom’s two masters, the guys who trained Dr. Doom, coming into the story towards the end of the year. “1985” stands very much on its own as a series, but also as the origin of the Fantastic Four’s greatest villain ever, the guys who trained Dr. Doom, essentially.

This is from a Mark Millar interview over at CBR. I was under the impression this "one man event" was just him bullshitting and PR spinning to make more people buy his books. Id idn't actually believe they were linked in any way. Seems I was wrong and the 1985 villain is going to be the villain in one of his FF arcs.

also you should note I have a quote from Millar mentioning that very same thing in OP

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    KVW wrote: »

also you should note I have a quote from Millar mentioning that very same thing in OP

You win this round bale. You win this round.

KVW on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys

I liked the first issue of 1985

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys

I liked the first issue of 1985

So did I. Probably the best writing Millar has done since Superman: Red Son. Kick-Ass is written well, but this is better.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2008
    I enjoyed it, not sure about the art personally. I tend to like cleaner stuff but the story was cool.
    Hulk!

smokmnky on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm curious as to how 1985 and Kick-Ass are going to tie together

Me Too! on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm curious as to how 1985 and Kick-Ass are going to tie together

Kick-Ass isn't part of the crossover Millar issues, only FF, 1985, and Wolverine tie in together. Which is good considering how delayed Kick-Ass is right now.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2008
    thats not true, Millar has said that Kick-Ass does tie-in in some way, although not nearly to the degree as the other three.

More of a thematic tie-in I imagine.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Or something with Toby meeting Dave

Me Too! on
    edited June 2008
    So I saw a magazine page from Wizard or some place on s_d. I am not sure of the legality of linking a magazine scan... It is about Mark Millar's one-man event in 1985, Fantastic Four and Wolverine. In the article, the big bad guy is revealed, sort of.
    Dr. Doom's dimension-traveling master-- The Hooded Man! He travels through realities killing everyone and according to the interview, is pissed that Doom has not killed everyone on Earth. Does Doom need a master? It seems completely against the character.

DouglasDanger on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I saw a magazine page from Wizard or some place on s_d. I am not sure of the legality of linking a magazine scan... It is about Mark Millar's one-man event in 1985, Fantastic Four and Wolverine. In the article, the big bad guy is revealed, sort of.
    Dr. Doom's dimension-traveling master-- The Hooded Man! He travels through realities killing everyone and according to the interview, is pissed that Doom has not killed everyone on Earth. Does Doom need a master? It seems completely against the character.
    I wonder if The Hooded Man will be a metaphor.

Is it, perhaps, fanboy pedantry that destroys comic books?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dr. Doom kills the guy. That's the only thing that could happen.

Mai-Kero on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Disagree:
    I'm reminded of the discussion of the New Gods and the multiple worlds, and whether there are (for example) 52 Darkseids. It's canon that there is only one set of New Gods, i.e. that there are no alternate versions of Apokolips or its inhabitants. I wonder if this hooded man is an alternate Doom, gone insanely powerful, who makes his alternate selves destroy their universes as a price of joining in the union of this collective Doom-gestalt. Our Doom is certainly scheming against him, but he's facing some enormous amount of equally brilliant and more powerful versions of himself.

mattharvest on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Disagree:
    I'm reminded of the discussion of the New Gods and the multiple worlds, and whether there are (for example) 52 Darkseids. It's canon that there is only one set of New Gods, i.e. that there are no alternate versions of Apokolips or its inhabitants. I wonder if this hooded man is an alternate Doom, gone insanely powerful, who makes his alternate selves destroy their universes as a price of joining in the union of this collective Doom-gestalt. Our Doom is certainly scheming against him, but he's facing some enormous amount of equally brilliant and more powerful versions of himself.
    But Doom would never destroy the world. He wants to rule it, not kill everyone on it.

Mai-Kero on