As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slow vista startup

gorall9gorall9 Registered User regular
So my gf just finished putting together her new computer and after restarting it, it now takes like 15min+ to load up.

It gets stuck on a black screen with a loading bar and microsoft corp underneath the bar. The bar passes by very slowly and then eventually loads up the computer in which case the computer loads perfectly fine and runs as fast as it should.

She is using vista ultimate 32bit and has nearly the same setup as my computer i built a month ago, everything seems to be installed correctly so any help would be appreciated.

Also we tried changed the boot priority to hdd frist and it loaded faster for a few seconds then started to go back to crawling at the load screen.

Her specs:
vista ultimate 32bit
phenom 9750 2.4ghz quad core
8800gt 512 evga
4g gskill ram
250g hdd 7200
M3A mobo

gorall9 on

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are you running an antivirus program?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did the change in the boot pritory hold? Sometimes it won't hold also see if theres an option for a quick boot. Mine mobo has that option and it cut my boot time in about half

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No, no antivirus programs, and i'm not sure if it has a quick boot option where would I find it on the mobo itself? or would it be in the bios?

Alos her computer beeps once everytime at startup not sure if that may be the cause or not, and if anyone knows what i should look at it as to the cause of the beep it would be helpful.

gorall9 on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does it boot faster in safe mode? And does the list of things popping up hang in any particular place.

The beeping is quite normal I think.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    yes it boots faster in safe mode most of the time, havent figured out why it sometimes doesnt, and there isnt any list of things popping up, how would i get that to show?

Also her mobo does have a quick start not sure if its enabled going to try that soon here once I can get at the computer again.

gorall9 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ok so we fixed the slow startup but now we get a bsod saying memory management error. No idea what to do so trying out moving the ram around see if that affects it. otherwise I have no idea anyone ever dealt with this?

gorall9 on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i forget where it is, but buried under the system menu control panel there is options for troubleshooting hardware issues, as well as system startup issues.

It will identify processes that are taking to long as asks what adjustments you want to make...

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.