As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finished it thread

124»

• j00sj00s Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Just finished Ep. 1 for the first time and I have to say that I'm absolutely floored.

I was wary about the whole $20 thing, but this is the type of game you just don't see anymore. Quirky, fun, and absolutely beautiful. I really, really hope that this is a successful venture, because it would be a huge step forward for legitimizing the independent video game industry.

j00s on
  • AnngaricusAnngaricus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got done with it a few days ago and I'm pretty sure I was the leader when you guys had gone through it once. I had to restart due to finding out about the Immortal achievement. I am currently 474 on the leader boards, but I did get all of the achievements. I was really impressed by the game and have even gotten some people un-familiar with PA to try the game! Also if you go to the files in the office it lists all the attacks and other important info about each character.

Anngaricus on
    Something more creative to be here shortly.
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love how Gabe's final weapons were *dripping* with power.

Awesome, and yet totally disgusting.

halkun on
  • BeharrtBeharrt Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Finished the game twice now. Just well...because it was fun.

First time in years I've enjoyed "beating" a game more than once.

Anyone else have leftover meat?

Beharrt on
  • devotfeigedevotfeige Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Beharrt wrote: »
    Anyone else have leftover meat?

I did in my first play-through, just because I used the machine before fighting the boss and his minions (thus the stamped meat and the... fresh meat got categorized differently in my inventory). The meat's not useful for anything else, if that's what you're wondering.

devotfeige on
    sig.gif
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just beat the game. Im missing some stuff but I dont feel like scouring everything again just to find it. Very happy with my purchase though and hope episode 2 lives up to the first game.

Bedlam on
  • EyeoftheIslandEyeoftheIsland Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Finished it for the second time the other day, playing as stanley from The Office! I'm around 300th on the leaderboards, such a fun game though I'll keep playing until I'm number one

EyeoftheIsland on
  • Pretender2008Pretender2008 Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Great game. Just finished my second playthough which started as soon as I beat it the first time. And it kept from City of Heroes and their new expansion which is no small feet.

Pretender2008 on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Finished it last night, got all the achievements save for the two big ones, Silent but deadly and Immortal.

Anyone know if you can just reload a save if you die and still get the achievement? or is it the instant you die you're done?

As for silent but deadly? Damn, do you just have to be the king of blocking or does anyone got any tips for that?

VoodooV on
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Did anyone else notice Charles in the "next episode..." animation at the end? I missed it the first time, just saw him when I finished my second time through.

Also, what's this I hear about leaderboards in the credits? Maybe it's an xbox thing, 'cause I didn't see any.

Walrus Pete on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Finished it last night, got all the achievements save for the two big ones, Silent but deadly and Immortal.

Anyone know if you can just reload a save if you die and still get the achievement? or is it the instant you die you're done?

As for silent but deadly? Damn, do you just have to be the king of blocking or does anyone got any tips for that?

Save before every battle. If you die you can reload no problem.

Silent But Deadly is hard, but just stock up on every explosive item you can find (he's weak to Hot Toddies) and try to save your support characters. Use Fuchsia as often as possible as soon as you get her, as her attack increases by 25 each time you use her. By the time you get to The Silent One you should be able to do at least 225 damage. Block as often as possible (obviously) and use individual specials, not team-ups. Other than that just watch everyone's buff/debuff and try to counter it - Gabe especially, as if he has his attack reduced he does next to nothing but can do about 600 on a topped-out special. Other than that, don't worry if a character dies - if you beat it with dead characters you'll still get the achievement, and if you all die you can just reload and have another crack at it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Useless0neUseless0ne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Finished the game on release date, and am currently #6 on the XBLA leaderboards (and upon the arrival of tomorrow, higher hopefully)... Still need that damned Silent But Deadly achievement.

Useless0ne on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Useless0ne wrote: »
    Finished the game on release date, and am currently #6 on the XBLA leaderboards (and upon the arrival of tomorrow, higher hopefully)... Still need that damned Silent But Deadly achievement.

If Silent But Deadly is the no healing one (I'm at work , can't look), I posted a strat on how to do it here, a couple replies down...

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=59716

JustinSane07 on
  • LiquidsilkLiquidsilk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Finished it about a week ago (when the last message was posted here, I reckon.) Finished it for the third time yesterday.
    Talk about replayability; I can't see how it's possible to play this through even twice and get the full Arcadian experience. To begin with, there are certain speech options which you can't return to (say, siding with Gabe over Tycho's choice of words, as opposed to going through the options for opening the Cataract) and which, while they make no difference to gameplay, lead to some kind of shenanigan or witty quip, without exception. You have to go through the thing a couple of times to get all of those done.
    Secondly, at the third playthrough I felt that I was getting a real grasp on playing the game properly, that is, managing the battle system and 'harvesting' of parts in an overarching strategy, and other enriching tactics. I was still noticing little bits of text I simply didn't read in my first playthrough, like
    the bird haikus, or the fact that Tycho's father was ejected from the OA.

Now, I think that a $20 game which tallies up to at least 12 hours, taking replays (and maybe, I don't know, pausing every now and again to really read the dialogue and admire the filth-encrusted scenery) into account is worth every penny. But in my case it gets better, and frankly stranger.

I've noticed that a big bugbear on this thread is the value of shelling out $20 for one piece of easy action, as it were. Due to the wicked exchange rate, I'd normally have had to pay £10 for Precipice, which is good, frankly. However (and it causes me to cringe with obsessive-fan-shame to type this) I paid precisely £1,009.95 (that's double in dollars, right?) for the pleasure. Because I had to get a new computer to play it. Don't get me wrong, I was going to get myself some new hardware as it was, but this game was the single deciding factor in getting it quickly (the day after the launch, in fact) and buying a simple, uncomplicated machine with a spiffy graphics drive and bags of memory (read; an expensive monstrosity). So, yes, I think I've probably paid more than everyone on this thread put together for this thing, and I'm not complaining.

Okay? I'm done, and I feel slightly ashamed.

Liquidsilk on
    Precipice - the only game that lets you stalk the streets of Lovecraft's America with a doll-faced pugilist and a rickets-stricken scholar.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bought it on Steam yesterday and beat it today. Well worth the $20, and I look forward to Episode 2.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • JDspeeder1JDspeeder1 Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    I feel like a cheater for asking but can someone tell me the FFs' hiding places in Pelican Bay? I only need 50 more parts. I don't know if my vision is bad or my graphics card is too weak (more likely the latter), but the last two I found by sound alone because I never could see them. Any tips?

JDspeeder1 on
  • PhironePhirone Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    I've just finished the game and damn i can't wait for Episode 2 :!:

Phirone on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can google up a walkthrough, think Game Radar or something like that had one I used to find the hidden items, it has the bot placements.

And w00t, just finished. I woulda done it last night but it crashed when I sent in T. Kemper to attack the dark one, guess it was doom for me.

Scooter on
  • Myself980Myself980 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just finished. I think I've been sitting for 4 to 5 hours. So a two sitting go. Got a few of the achievements, might go back for more, it was pretty funny. Got Kempers to crit once, got through some hobos real fast. I liked that your final buddy got more and more powerful as you used it. The quests we're a bit nutty.

I liked the fact that you never felt there was an arbitrary destination. I felt like the next step at every point was fairly intuitive. It's a nice feeling.

Myself980 on
    Bad command or cheese. Abort/Retry/French?
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just finished. Bought it earlier tonight at 8pm, finished at 2:30am. I was thoroughly impressed by the experience.

In other news...I now have Tycho's full name! Muahahaha!

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Krosius wrote: »
    Just finished. Bought it earlier tonight at 8pm, finished at 2:30am. I was thoroughly impressed by the experience.

In other news...I now have Tycho's full name! Muahahaha!

Now all you need is a strand of hair and one of his teeth. Then you can fully control him.

The hair might be hard to come by.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Darth MeatloafDarth Meatloaf Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    Devryn wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Devryn wrote: »
    6 Hours of gameplay for $20.00? Damn...Thanks for the heads up. I was going to pick this up online when I got home from work, but you just saved me $20.

Yeah, you obviously need the $20 to pay your rent to the hobo landlord of the dumpster you live in.

If I was you I wouldn't buy the game either.

dude, no need for ad hominem attacks.

I know, I'm clearly in the wrong here, but come on, create an account and make one post just to say the game isn't worth it, in a thread that's meant to be for those who bought, played, and finished the game?

I thought the attack was awesome, it was like you hit all the right bars on the timing scale and did full damage.

I didn't necessarily agree until the guy tried to leverage the whole veteran thing.

Why, because some young kid who lives on mama's basement and has never had to work hard for anything doesn't have any respect or show a little bit of common courtesy for other individuals and their accomplishments in life? His lack of even common courtesy to someone he doesn't know is alarming, and quite honestly, a key indicator of just how far our societies youth has fallen. I'm proud of my military service, and I'm more than willing to rub it in someones face who can't show at least a minimum amount of common courtesy.

If it seems I'm being arrogant about my service, in regards to this minor internet dickwad, I am. I'm proud of what I accomplished and I DO feel that my opinion is worth more than his insults simply because I have made something of myself. You could call it arrogance, I call it self respect.

Edit: Either way, it wasn't my intent to become holier-than-thou or clash with anyone on this board. OBVIOUSLY I'm not welcome and/or the users of this board are too hostile, too immature, or just plain too young. I'll see myself out.

Mods, feel free to delete my user account. I won't be back.

This is my first post.

I am also a veteran.

I have never been a dick like this to anyone.

Is it just me or did he raise (or is it lower?) the internet dickwad bar when his hissyfit led to a request to delete his account? Some forum members may live in their mom's basement, but it seems to me that this "self-respecting veteran" appears to have gone crying to his...

On topic: Finished my first playthrough on Tuesday. I will be buying the other episodes as soon as they come out. (I'm looking forward to Charles and Div in Episode 2...)

Now I need to play through again to get the 122 parts I missed.

EDIT: Forgot what is perhaps the best part: I had played through to getting the family pass for the boardwalk and then stopped. Tuesday, a couple of friends came over (both PA fans) and I sat and played through the rest of the game while they watched. They were at least as amused as I was throughout.

Darth Meatloaf on
    Darth Meatloaf: The Dark Lord of All that is Tasty or Home-Cooked.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I liked it. I have a few issues as I'll explain below but nothing that really took away from the game.

- I think one more area to explore and one more boss would have been nice.

-The combat was fine but I think the charge meters for summons needs revamped.( it could be because they never explained how they were charged and on my 480 tv I couldn't see the bars move at all).

- Recharging Health is the best idea ever. For easy mode. Made the game a cakewalk..

-The ability to use items outside of battle( while increasing the limit you can carry)and a store to purchase them in would have been nice.

I'll still buy episode two just with the hope that some of my issues are addressed.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Feeeeneeshed, great game, but what's with the rap song at the end, that's 3 games (GoW, COD4, RPOD) I've completed so far with rap songs for credits. I do like the characters doing funky moves to it but still.

I quite enjoy the fact I had to make use of the stat debuffers to significantly turn the tables, though I do wish I could dump more than one debuff on one enemy :)

And the Silent But Deadly achievement... has anyone done that? That requires pretty much perfect Blocking skills, of which I don't have :(

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • bboyKRILLINbboyKRILLIN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Finished it, theres a couple of items i seemed to of missed, but i don't feel like playing through the full game and clicking on every area of the screen just to try find them.

And i enjoyed seeing the characters bust out with the popping, locking and breakdance at the end, was a hoot.

Can't wait for episode 2! :D

bboyKRILLIN on
    BBOY KRILLIN's ART cause i likes to draws an stuff
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Loved it.

I just wish they would have made the items more useful. I literally never used anything other than heals and exploding stuff.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • jpvjpv Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Spoilering this just in case:
    It appears (this may not be news) that the FF in the bell jar in the Startling Developments Detective Agency develops a certain sheen when you revisit the office after completing the game a second time.

Can someone confirm or deny? I'm playing on a Mac, and I am fairly sure I'm not crazy.

jpv on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    jpv wrote: »
    Spoilering this just in case:
    It appears (this may not be news) that the FF in the bell jar in the Startling Developments Detective Agency develops a certain sheen when you revisit the office after completing the game a second time.

Can someone confirm or deny? I'm playing on a Mac, and I am fairly sure I'm not crazy.

I acquired that certain sheen to the specified object when I got the Steel Devils achievement. I think.
    I liked it. I have a few issues as I'll explain below but nothing that really took away from the game.
    Breaking this out of quotes for better appearance:

- I think one more area to explore and one more boss would have been nice.
    Agreed. Episodic game and all, but just a smidgen more please.

-The combat was fine but I think the charge meters for summons needs revamped.( it could be because they never explained how they were charged and on my 480 tv I couldn't see the bars move at all).
    They recharge on time, just like everything else; unless things are different on the 360.

- Recharging Health is the best idea ever. For easy mode. Made the game a cakewalk..
    Funny, I didn't even notice that health could recharge until my second time through when I was trying to get the Pacifist achievement; other than that, I was attacking/Iteming so frequently it never kicked in.

-The ability to use items outside of battle( while increasing the limit you can carry)and a store to purchase them in would have been nice.
    Why? No item is useful outside battle (unless you're hoping to pre-buff people before combat) and since the containers respawn whenever you change screens, if you're down on items and don't mind abusing game mechanics you can just farm a crowded area.

I'll still buy episode two just with the hope that some of my issues are addressed.
    Ditto. I demand more rake-fueled fury.

Also, I can't help but chuckle at the angry "veteran" crying his way out of the forums. If he's truly a veteran of anything other than the All-You-Can-Eat Taco Stand, I'll eat my own cock.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just finished it. Picked it up on sale for $10 of which every penny dripped with WORTH. I couldn't bring myself to spend $20 on it, and I ended up being right. Great game, but overpriced. I'll pick up the next ones since I enjoyed it so much, but for a freshman effort the high price tag was a bit daunting.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • MistressKanaMistressKana Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What is with people who keep going on about the over priced game? If every episode cost ten dollars and (I think there will be four installments?) it came to a grand total of $40 the game would be well below the standard price of a shitty game, let alone a delightful, genuinly fun game like this one. And they wouldn't make a profit. Hate to break it to you boys and girls but at the end of the day they ARE looking to make money off this. And they deserve to, because they worked hard on it. If $20's to much for you, don't buy the game. But stop insulting these guys by trying to suggest that this quality product is worth less, newbies or otherwise.

MistressKana on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Im sorry that my concept of value isnt in line with yours and i feel that $20 is overpriced for the quanitity of game this is. I meerly stated that I bought it when it came down to $10 and was pleased with the purchase and did not feel like I got it for a steal of a price. I felt it was fair.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • ListerfiendListerfiend Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    finished it a few days ago, and i was able to get the silent, but deadly achievement

Listerfiend on
  • joshua nashjoshua nash Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    I finished it three time just to watch the ending credits watching 3D versions of some of the enemies break dancing one of the funnier moments for

joshua nash on
    final boss- coolest theme song ever

joshua+nash.png
  • BozzleyBozzley Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Bought this over the weekend whilst irresponsibly drunk. Woke up and played it, didn't stop until it was complete.

Loved the humour, and the gameplay felt just right to me. Can't wait to play future episodes.

Thanks for making my hangover as enjoyable as a hangover could possibly ever get :D

Bozzley on
  • wbdigiwbdigi Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    There are point's where it ramps up and you gotta plan and use item's wisely, but it never gets that hard honestly

support @ www.wbdigi.com
    support @ wbdigi.com

wbdigi on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So hey, finally having an income I bought this game, and immediately played through the whole thing.

It was awesome.

I would also like to remind you all that while it costed US$20 for you in the US, it costed... well, US$20 for me over in Australia too, instead of, say, twice that.

theSquid on
  • JagJag Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Played it twice, it came down to choosing between Silent, but Deadly or Immortal during my fight with the final boss. I came excruciatingly close once (within 2000 HP), but I never got the hang of Blocking or Countering his single target attack at the end. I figured I could do one, reload then do the other. Imagine my surprise when it saved automatically after the credits.

Luckily, the second playthrough took about three hours, and I doubled my score. I can't believe that guy at the top of the XBOX Live Arcade Leaderboard. He's either played it through about 30 times, or he's just starting, doing the easy fights and repeating.

So now I wait for the second episode. I don't mind the cost of this episode, seeing as I've payed three times as much for less time playing (NES and SNES games come to mind). And I've definitely payed more for less enjoyment.

Jag on
  • rubicsrubics Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would have picked it up months ago when E1 was first released, by I lost a 360 in a cross country move. I finally replaced it and had a chance to pick this up. I loved it. On a game play scale, it's probably a 6.5-7, but when you mix in the humor, it's a strong 8-8.5 (judging it against other live arcade type offerings).

The writing is really awesome. There were several times when I really did laugh out loud. And the fact that so many in this thread played it through in a single sitting suggests its quality. As far as the price, I thought it was fine. A movie these days is a $10 offering for 2 hours of entertainment. Many graphic novels go for $12-20 and only offer 3-4 hours of entertainment. I really think this game fits in between those two realms. It's really just a semi-interactive PA strip.

The integration of the player character worked out really well. It didn't seem like you were just tagging along. I was wondering if Mike and Jerry would let Gabe and Tycho walk all over the player character, but you have an opportunity to get in a few good jabs. I'm eagerly awaiting E2. I'm glad to hear that it's going through the certification process.

rubics on
    Pearl Code: 0903 0254 5784
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh shit I better watch the credits.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!