As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: British Invasion Begins...And They Get Their Own Gamertag

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Plus the solo buttons are invaluable for some of the harder solos.

And you feel like a total badass sliding your hand down the neck to solo and then back up to the regular fret buttons for the rest of the song. Or bringing your right hand round to properly fingertap. Or a combination of the two.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You aren't required to use the solo buttons though which is nice.

DarkPrimus on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Plus the solo buttons are invaluable for some of the harder solos.

And you feel like a total badass sliding your hand down the neck to solo and then back up to the regular fret buttons for the rest of the song. Or bringing your right hand round to properly fingertap. Or a combination of the two.

Hear hear! When I bought the RB pack, I had every intention of doing the economical thing by selling off the Strat since I already had an Explorer/Les Paul combo from GH2/3, but after trying it out for 15 minutes I knew I had to keep it. Like DarkPrimus said, the overall larger, weighter feel is lovely, and while it's entirely subjective I absolutely love the quieter rubber strum bar and the sunken, clicky frets.

If you're used to the GH guitars, the strum bar may frustrate you as it seems less precise (you don't get that audible click), but for me personally authenticity and overall feel is far more important, and not to toot my own horn but I also burned through GH3 on Expert and beat TTFAF so it's not like the Strat is a "casual GH fan" device by any means. The solo buttons do make crazy solos quite a bit easier, as in the predetermined solo sections if you use the solo buttons you don't have to strum for any notes, HO/PO or not. But again, the solo buttons also just make you feel badass.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just recently got to using the solo frets and I seem to fare better using my strumming hand for it.

Also, dibs on the next thread.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • BinaryBinary Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't go back to GH guitars after playing the Strat. One thing I do often on Green/Yellow chords is to hit both frets with my index finger; on GH guitars the frets are simply too far apart to make this possible.

I rarely if ever use the solo frets. I can't seem to get my hands into position and get comfortable quickly enough to maintain accuracy. I suspect that as I get further into expert difficulty I'm going to need to work on this.

@Arikado: Looks like I'm about a month late on this, but congrats on the 1000/1000 gamerscore.

Binary on
    binary101010.jpg
  • KelbaenorKelbaenor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Has anyone speculated that this week's DLC will be a Disturbed pack, since they did that whole preorder our new album, get free Rock Band songs dealy and Indestructible comes out on Tuesday?

Kelbaenor on
    PSN: Kelbaenor
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, with the emphasis on vocals this week, I totally remembered a song I need to request.

I believe in a thing called love - The Darkness

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited May 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    Man, with the emphasis on vocals this week, I totally remembered a song I need to request.

I've always thought that would be a great choice. I'd love to see a Cock Rock Pack or two. (Would The Darkness be "Nü Cock Rock"?) My secret shame was that my two songs in GH Rocks the '80s were Holy Diver and just.

Something about the plastic instruments makes hair metal not only tolerable, but really, really awesome. Bang Camaro has been a constant favorite of mine in GH1/2/RB for this reason.
    Binary wrote:
    @Arikado: Looks like I'm about a month late on this, but congrats on the 1000/1000 gamerscore.

I forgot to toss my congrats on there too; I noticed it some time ago and was quite impressed. That shit takes effort. The bands my wife and I have together don't go out on tour all that often, but our latest, Without Boyer, is her on bass and me on guitar and has been doing the best since she has graduated to Hard on some songs and has even started learning to alt-strum. We finally got the jet last week!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited May 2008
    Uh thanks. That Expert Drumming achievement was holding me back for a long ass time. I'm not proud in the method on how I got it but whatever.

Arikado on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Lunker wrote: »
    I've always thought that would be a great choice. I'd love to see a Cock Rock Pack or two. (Would The Darkness be "Nü Cock Rock"?) My secret shame was that my two songs in GH Rocks the '80s were Holy Diver and just.

Something about the plastic instruments makes hair metal not only tolerable, but really, really awesome. Bang Camaro has been a constant favorite of mine in GH1/2/RB for this reason.

I think "Cock Rock" can refer to any music that's disingenuous, predominantly tongue-in-cheek, or involves large-scale on-stage cock props.

The "Nü" prefix would be unnecessary.

But yes, a Cock Rock Pack would be extraordinary, if only to see them announce a Cock Rock Pack. (Maybe they could do it with a rooster symbol?)

metaghost on
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Can't you hook up 2 drumsets to one console and do local score duel? I've always wanted to try that, it'd be a blast I think.

Yes you can.

I have two mics and two guitars that get used whenever my sister and I have an argument.

Too bad there's no "Battle of the Bands" or "Voxtar Versus" modes.

CowShark on
  • zelllzelll Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    But yes, a Cock Rock Pack would be extraordinary, if only to see them announce a Cock Rock Pack. (Maybe they could do it with a rooster symbol?)

If they release a cock rock pack they need to put Cock Rocker by MDC up alongside the pack.

zelll on
    edited May 2008
    Okay, no DLC announcement yet but apparently rumors on the Internets (GAF) are that this was posted on the RB forums before being taken down quickly:
    "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett (master - new original recording)
    "Cheeseburger in Paradise" by Jimmy Buffett (master - new original recording)
    "Volcano" by Jimmy Buffett (master - new original recording)

"Indestructible" by Disturbed (master)
    "Inside the Fire" by Disturbed (master)
    "Perfect Insanity" by Disturbed (master)

Take with a grain of salt, and not that I don't like Jimmy Buffett, but:

whathq0.jpg

Lunker on
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh god..whats next Van Morrison?

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hahahahahahaha. Oh man, that would be just awful. Well whatever, wait until the official announcement.

Schide on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Oh god..whats next Van Morrison?

Whoawhoawhoa, don't be confusing good music with crap now, ok?

Schide on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've seen that at Best Buy if you buy that new Disturbed album you get a DL code for the songs, so atleast that part seems real.

Local H Jay on
    edited May 2008
    The duality of Jimmy Buffett and Disturbed is far too hilarious for this not to be true. And Margaritaville would actually be a great song to play. I'm just ... well, "what" indeed.

Lunker on
  • Dayvan CowboyDayvan Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. I sucked it up and bought the whole bundle in the end. Been having a blast on hard drums, and I'll check out the guitar later.

Dayvan Cowboy on
    edited May 2008
    Ahahah Jimmy Buffet. Don't get me wrong, he's an ok dude but in Rock Band that'd be like Simple Man x 10.

Arikado on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hrm.

Buffet eh? I'll be interested to see if that's true. If it is, they probably needed to change the songs quite a bit (hence the new recording) to make them rock band worthy. I love JB, but really not seeing how that'll work out in rock band. We'll see I suppose.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
    edited May 2008
    Some more downtempo songs would be welcome in my house, at least. I haven't yet bought any of the Greatful Dead songs but I might at some point; got the chance to play the full pack at a friend's and it was really chill. And if there's any artist that can get your dad off the couch and singing, it's Jimmy Buffett.

Shit, just saying the name "Jimmy Buffett" enough times makes me thirsty for a beer.

Lunker on
    edited May 2008
    Some more downtempo songs would be welcome in my house, at least. I haven't yet bought any of the Greatful Dead songs but I might at some point; got the chance to play the full pack at a friend's and it was really chill. And if there's any artist that can get your dad off the couch and singing, it's Jimmy Buffett.

Shit, just saying the name "Jimmy Buffett" enough times makes me thirsty for a beer.

Damnit, now I want one too. I did just imagine singing cheeseburger in paradise and it would be pretty damn fun.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hate to say it but I'd buy all the buffet for sheer cheeze-factor

troublebrewing on
    edited May 2008
    Jimmy Buffett Jimmy Buffett Jimmy Buffett Jimmy Buffett Jimmy Buffett
    *ka-chunk ffffssshhh*

Arikado on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jimmy Buffet confirmed.

Also, disturbed tracks are $.99 each. I was iffy on them, but at that price I'll pick them up.

Still, I wonder if we'll ever get the Wrathchild pack.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • zelllzelll Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, no DLC announcement yet but apparently rumors on the Internets (GAF) are that this was posted on the RB forums before being taken down quickly:

Take with a grain of salt, and not that I don't like Jimmy Buffett, but:

whathq0.jpg

it was posted I still have the tab open in firefox

heres a screen grab

zelll on
    edited May 2008
    Thread title suggestion: "Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer."

I'm actually excited about this the more I think of it. Woo!

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    OMG Volcano has steel drums.

Haha, I bet it's going to have a pretty weird drum chart.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited May 2008
    I can't believe I'm stringing these words together, but: I think I'm going to buy one of the Jimmy Buffett songs and one of the Disturbed songs this week.
    180pxsplodeho0.jpg

YouTube links here. I'm thinking Margaritaville and Indestructible.

EDIT: On the flip side, this was a terribly wasted opportunity for HMX not to sell a Jimmy Buffet Six-Pack.

Lunker on
  • killamajigkillamajig Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    While I can't agree with the pro-buffet agenda, I'll defend to the death you're right to Download it.

Also, Just got back from target, bought 3 1600 point cards for 15$ each, sale is good till sunday.

killamajig on
    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I am buying all of that Jimmy Buffett the instant it is available

Monoxide on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ouch. Painfully weak DLC week for me. Ah well, you can't win them all.

Endaro on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am buying Volcano and Cheeseburger in Paradise. I can't believe I am.

Feels Good Man on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so is the jimmy buffet/disturbed thing a sure thing yet?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited May 2008
    so is the jimmy buffet/disturbed thing a sure thing yet?

100 percent.

We are through the looking glass

Lunker on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Buying all 6.

This is a blissfully bizarre pairing, but goddammit, I like both artists and haven't spent much on DLC in the past month.

Edit: It's two separate packs:

Disturbed 3 Pack (Discounted Price)
    Buffet 3 Pack (Normal Price)

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't much care for Buffet, but...
    FUCKING FIST-PUMPS FOR DISTURBED!!

God, I've been waiting so long for Disturbed to get put into Rock Band. Sure, they put Stricken in Guitar Hero III, but Activision screwed the note chart so hard that it was a wash. I'm wondering what Indestructible sounds like, but I know the other two songs quite well and look forward to playing both.
    WOOOOOZE!!

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was iffy on Disturbed, but for a dollar a track, I'll grab all three. And I'm definitely grabbing the Jimmy Buffet pack too, even if it is easy.

Omeks wrote: »
    I'm wondering what Indestructible sounds like, but I know the other two songs quite well and look forward to playing both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwVTgLc7lQ

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    buying all the buffet

AIDS BURGER IN PARADISE!!

I nominate this for the next thread title

troublebrewing on