As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First-Time Build Problem

RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
Well, my first-ever build is assembled. I power it on, all of the fans hum, the power LED lights up, the 4 phase LEDs on the mobo light up, the monitor is on and...blank. No video. I tried both DVI ports. I can't see the BIOS to confirm or adjust.

Also, there is no power going to my keyboard and mouse, and the mobo did not make a single beep.

My spirits are too dashed to search for a pic of one of the Oundan/EBA characters shouting for assistance, which is probably good since everyone is likely sick of that by now.

So...little help? Much appreciated if anyone can take some time to bail me out.

Raughn on

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Check your 8 (sometimes 4) and 24 pin power connections on your motherboard. If one of them (usually the 8) isn't plugged in, or missing some contacts your fans will spin up, lights will come but it won't actually start.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Check your 8 (sometimes 4) and 24 pin power connections on your motherboard. If one of them (usually the 8) isn't plugged in, or missing some contacts your fans will spin up, lights will come but it won't actually start.

Thanks! That was most of it: The 12V ATX wasn't connected (in my noobness, I thought the final four main power pins were the ATX when I was reading my instructions/guide). But the keyboard (USB) still isn't powered/recognized, and it wants me to hit enter after inserting the system disk. Any ideas?

Raughn on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The only thing I can think of for the keyboard is to hit del as it's starting up and see if it gets you into the BIOS configuration, if it does it means your USB ports are fine, but you need to enable USB keyboard support somewhere in the BIOS. If that doesn't work make sure your plugging your keyboard/mouse into the ports on the back of the computer that go directly to your motherboard so you can rule out faults in your cases front panel wiring. If neither of those work i'd try using an old ps/2 keyboard to make sure USB keyboard support is enabled in the bios, although pretty much every motherboard i've seen will let you into the BIOS with a USB keyboard even if its off, so that's a long shot.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, do USB keyboards still come with those little green USB-to-PS/2 converters? Save you scrounging up an old keyboard...

FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanks guys! I took the PS/2 keyboard from this machine and used it to enable USB keyboards in the BIOS. As far as I can tell, everything is ready for the OS install tomorrow.

One last BIOS question: I set my CPU heat warning at 90 degrees. Anyone think it should be lower?

Raughn on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes! put it at about 78 degrees. Unless you have stupidly bad fans, this shouldnt be a problem.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanks, Idoliside. I moved it down to 80 degrees, that was my closest option.

I hit another snag. I started the Windows XP set-up, allowed it to format the HDD, then it loaded a bunch of Windows files, then said it would restart and resume set-up. It restarted, but only goes as far as a disc read error, then directs me to reboot, leading to the disc read error, repeat. I tried booting with the installation disc to start, but that runs the installation from the beginning, which stops once set-up detects the already mostly installed OS.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Raughn on
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raughn wrote: »

I hit another snag. I started the Windows XP set-up, allowed it to format the HDD, then it loaded a bunch of Windows files, then said it would restart and resume set-up. It restarted, but only goes as far as a disc read error, then directs me to reboot, leading to the disc read error, repeat. I tried booting with the installation disc to start, but that runs the installation from the beginning, which stops once set-up detects the already mostly installed OS.

I don't know your hardware set up, it would be helpful if you posted that. But if you have a new machine and are trying to install XP using an XP install disc that does not have Service Pack 2 on it, you might have the problem you are encountering.

If you only have an original XP disc (like me) you can use nLite to slipstream SP2 or 3 and your Motherboard drivers right into the install (plus do other nifty things). This might get rid the problem you are having. You can find nLite here http://www.nliteos.com/

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    bloodr wrote: »

I don't know your hardware set up, it would be helpful if you posted that. But if you have a new machine and are trying to install XP using an XP install disc that does not have Service Pack 2 on it, you might have the problem you are encountering.

If you only have an original XP disc (like me) you can use nLite to slipstream SP2 or 3 and your Motherboard drivers right into the install (plus do other nifty things). This might get rid the problem you are having. You can find nLite here http://www.nliteos.com/

My XP install disc has SP2.

In regards to my hardware set-up, I'm not sure how much detail would help. These are the components, and I'll provide any additional info, to the best of my knowledge, upon request:

500W PSU
    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
    EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz
    2 X 2GB DDR 800 Mushkin RAM
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD
    ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

Raughn on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Found the problem. Turns out the BIOS settings that prepare the SATA drive for an XP install only apply to the first two SATA ports, and my HDD was running into the third port. I moved the HDD cable and ran the install again and it's now almost complete.

Paranoid question if anyone has a moment: Is the any negative trade-off to using the "(quick)" option to format the HDD for the Windows file system? I was so burned-out when I wanted to see if my change worked that I decided to just rush it.

Raughn on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sorry for posting three times in a row, but...

Holy shit posting from my working first-ever build!!!

:D

Raughn on
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Found the problem. Turns out the BIOS settings that prepare the SATA drive for an XP install only apply to the first two SATA ports, and my HDD was running into the third port. I moved the HDD cable and ran the install again and it's now almost complete.

Paranoid question if anyone has a moment: Is the any negative trade-off to using the "(quick)" option to format the HDD for the Windows file system? I was so burned-out when I wanted to see if my change worked that I decided to just rush it.

Grats on your first build. Not really as hard as they make it seem is it. It's just little quirks the one you ran into that can trip you up.

To answer your question about formatting, the quick format option does not check for bad sectors or format the sectors, it just rewrites the file allocation table. If you have already done a normal format then you have nothing to worry about.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the response and info, bloodr!

I am sad to report that things have not gone well since I thought the machine was working.

Late Friday night, I started to run into XP stop errors that Microsoft's support site lists as assoicated with memory. I tried removing the sticks and placing them in again, same problems. I made a Memory Test boot CD and the error counter was flying.

I suibmitted a RMA request for the memory and shipped it this morning.

Now I wonder if I wasn't too hasty.

If the errors were that plentiful, could the motherboard have been the problem? I really should have found out how to isolate error codes and write some down. I was just so damn deflated that my brain stopped working and I just gambled on the easy answer. Looking at Newegg's reviews, it seems that memory is RMA'd the most, so hopefully the odds are in my favor that I took the right step.

I guess another possibility is the memory not getting enough juice, but looking at my parts and power supply (a few posts above), I can't see how that's possible (again, unless it's a mobo defect). Is my thinking on the right track here?

Raughn on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would have manually set the memory timings and voltages in the Bios before I RMAed it. There's a good chance that the voltage your bios was defaulted to was lower than the ram's spec.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I would have manually set the memory timings and voltages in the Bios before I RMAed it. There's a good chance that the voltage your bios was defaulted to was lower than the ram's spec.

I just looked into how I would do that and, yeah, I definitely should have adjusted those settings before sending the memory out. I really wish I had kept my patience and just asked for help before completing the RMA.

Thanks for the suggestion. When the memory comes back I'll definitely test it and make adjustments before I even start the OS install.

Also, I think I'm going to start drinking when I work with this stuff. Need to stay calm. 8-)

Raughn on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The psu your using doesn't seem to bad, I had a 450 watt with 2 18a 12v lines and it sustained the exact same video card, 2 x500gb sata, optical drive and a power hungry p4 @3.4ghz. I've since changed machines but I had that setup for a month with no problems

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    The psu your using doesn't seem to bad, I had a 450 watt with 2 18a 12v lines and it sustained the exact same video card, 2 x500gb sata, optical drive and a power hungry p4 @3.4ghz. I've since changed machines but I had that setup for a month with no problems

Good to know, thanks!

Still waiting on my replacement RAM. UPS took a week to get it to Newegg. I might as well have tied it to the back of a turtle and kicked it toward the setting sun.

Raughn on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Next time you could try to use only one memory stick and track down which one was bad. chance are only 1 of the 2 had issues

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Next time you could try to use only one memory stick and track down which one was bad. chance are only 1 of the 2 had issues

I only had the two 2GB sticks, though, and I thought that for dual-channel memory to be read correctly, I needed something in both channels. But then, I'm also a total sytem-building newb.

Well, I don't want to jinx myself, but the machine appears to be working just fine. I got the RMA sticks today, ran memtest first-thing, with no errors. I have been running it for hours with none of the problems experienced after just 40 minutes with the old sticks.

Also, I think I may know what the problem was. When I received the first set, the sticks were loose inside a large plastic disc case. I thought this was rather odd and clumsy, but I also never bought memory before, so I figured that this was just how memory manufacturers rolled.

When I got my RMA sticks, they were securely locked into place in the case, using tiny clips that I did not even notice when I examined the first case. I'm thinking that the first sticks tumbling across several states, connectors rubbing against heat-spreaders, sides of the box, etc., may have done some damage.

Raughn on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, sounds like someone fucked up there.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You need two sticks for memory to operate in dual channel mode, but if you just have one installed, or have the two sticks installed in the wrong two slots if there are four, the motherboard just runs it in single channel.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!