As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UC Riverside

soshi367soshi367 Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So it looks ill be going to UC Riverside barring some life changing event. Anyone heard anything about this school? ive searched around on the web and the general consensus seems to be negative. I will be pursuing a English B.A while im there as i transferred from a community college. I plan on going to law school in the future. How would it look on a law school application to have a degree from Riverside? Ultimatley how is this school overall? will i get my moneys worth in terms of education? Any help would be appreciated. I should mention also that UC Davis accepted me but its 8 hours away whereas Riverside is an hour. whats looking like my best option here?

soshi367 on

• Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Your GPA and course choices are always far more important than the specific college (as long as it is an accredited college). So just ensure a strong academic presence and join a few extra-curricular groups (at least some of which should be unrelated to being an english major or a lawyer).

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    UCR isn't really a cheerful place. You tend to get the worst of So Cal weather and the location for it requires you either live on campus or don't mind driving on the busy freeways. You're stuck between mountain ranges and far away from the beach (although you're closer to Las Vegas than LA is.) I didn't go to UCR but I did visit a few friends there two years ago for a week or so. The academics of the school tend to lean onto the sciences with the other colleges not being well off.

Now, my view of it is two years old so a lot could have changed (except the weather part). Your college experience is what you make of it. I have no experience with the classes or the administration (although the labs are pretty hi-tech) so take this as you will.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Riverside Area- Hot, but close to everything. Hour and a half to the beach is not far at all. two hours to LA, SD, and the mountains. Riverside also has much less of a smog problem than it used to. Also, all the areas are being built up (The surrounding cities) so riverside proper is getting a lot of higher profile chains moving in and the malls are looking really nice.

UCR- I don't go there, but my girlfriend is a Lit Major there. She says the campus is pretty but she doesn't hang out there. The area around there has some really great sandwich shops and restaurants. She says the English department is a lot better than people give it credit for. You have freedom in what you want to study. You will not be forced to memorize canonical works. You can instead focus on areas of interest. She is focusing on race/civil rights and gender, for example. She also mentioned that a lot of the professors come from nice universities and are very intelligent. That being said. You will get what you get out of it, and that goes for everywhere from UCR to Harvard. If you go just go, you will not learn a whole lot .If you put your heart into it, you're going to learn a ton.

As far as law school, it will probably matter more about your entry tests, grades, and letters of rec rather than where you went to school. Unless you are planning to go someplace stuffy.

Riverside city is a nice place to live if you can take the heat. UCR is a school that is really known for its bio and agriculture, but it's not like people are going to laugh at you for getting a degree in something else from there. I am hoping to get an accounting degree from a primarily engineering school and am not worried about it.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    UC Davis also has a kick ass law school, so it would not hurt to already be here

mts on
    camo_sig.png