As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blue Dragon: 37/40 from famitsu?

2»

• Options
    aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bruin wrote:
    Aoi wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    So I heard somewhere (don't remember where) that this game is on 3 DVDs.

edit - Here we go: http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/11/blue_dragon_on_.html

Yup. Um... ?
    I don't really care, but it's worth mentioning. Maybe Sony's onto something with the Blu-Ray thing? I dunno.
    I just think it's funny considering how many people here were in the "if Oblivion can fit on one DVD then any game can" camp about 6 months ago.

Now it's all "switching DVDs, big fucking deal".

aeolist on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Aoi wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Yup. Um... ?
    I don't really care, but it's worth mentioning. Maybe Sony's onto something with the Blu-Ray thing? I dunno.
    I just think it's funny considering how many people here were in the "if Oblivion can fit on one DVD then any game can" camp about 6 months ago.

People were stupid for saying that (the first thing) because Oblivion has little to no prerendered cutscenes, which is what usually takes up lots of disc space. I imagine that's the case with Blue Dragon, as most JRPGs are like that.

bruin on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Aoi wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Yup. Um... ?

I'm doubting that's anyone in this thread at the moment. I've never cared about switching disks. As far back as the PS1 days, especially games like Final Fantasy, it just meant it was likely to be a long damned game and I felt like I was getting my moneys worth at the very least. So as far as me, it's always been big fucking deal.
    bruin wrote:
    aeolist wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Aoi wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Yup. Um... ?

People were stupid for saying that (the first thing) because Oblivion has little to no prerendered cutscenes, which is what usually takes up lots of disc space. I imagine that's the case with Blue Dragon, as most JRPGs are like that.

Very likely considering who is behind this :D

Aoi on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bruin wrote:
    Aoi wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Yup. Um... ?

The thing is, does anyone actually care?

Because, I kinda don't.

Edit: Ah, in context I see what your comment is referring to.

I still don't care XD

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I don't give a shit about switching discs. If I could choose not to I wouldn't, but it really doesn't matter.

And maybe this means the game will come in a cool big case or something.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    bruin wrote:
    Yeah, I don't give a shit about switching discs. If I could choose not to I wouldn't, but it really doesn't matter.

And maybe this means the game will come in a cool big case or something.

I remember when I have six CDs for Baldurs Gate.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bruin wrote:
    Eteric wrote:
    Now if they'd drop the fucking price I'd actually consider this game.

$299 Premium PLZ!
    That's the price at Microcenter right now if you have any around you.

I don't. :(

*sigh*

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Eteric wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Eteric wrote:
    Now if they'd drop the fucking price I'd actually consider this game.

$299 Premium PLZ!
    That's the price at Microcenter right now if you have any around you.

I don't. :(

*sigh*

He was kind of exaggerating anyway. It's still $399, but there is a $100 rebate from them right now.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Zephos wrote:
    There it is, it's not that difficult. I say "Famitsu" because I know it from the inside, but in Japan it works like that everywhere. The magazine get the images and infos MONTHS before the official press release, but wait for the publishers before doing anything with them. There is absolutely no research from them.

All the pages about a game are sent and verified by each publisher. If they do a feature about Devil May Cry, it will be checked by Capcom who will send back the page saying them to change a title or some texts...

Care to substantiate these claims? I'm genuinely curious as to your source.

Someone was on the 1up Yours podcast the other week who had worked in Japan and now works for Ziff Davis. He said in Japan that the publishers might as well own the gaming press.

Anyway, Blue Dragon may be an awesome title for people who like that sorta thing, but it's not going to save 360 in Japan. How many titles have gotten that "potential savior" label? DOA, NNN, Enchanted Arms? Anything else? It's just not going to happen. Too little, too late. Especially considering the other consoles just launched.

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Zephos wrote:
    There it is, it's not that difficult. I say "Famitsu" because I know it from the inside, but in Japan it works like that everywhere. The magazine get the images and infos MONTHS before the official press release, but wait for the publishers before doing anything with them. There is absolutely no research from them.

All the pages about a game are sent and verified by each publisher. If they do a feature about Devil May Cry, it will be checked by Capcom who will send back the page saying them to change a title or some texts...

Someone was on the 1up Yours podcast the other week who had worked in Japan and now works for Ziff Davis. He said in Japan that the publishers might as well own the gaming press.

Anyway, Blue Dragon may be an awesome title for people who like that sorta thing, but it's not going to save 360 in Japan. How many titles have gotten that "potential savior" label? DOA, NNN, Enchanted Arms? Anything else? It's just not going to happen. Too little, too late. Especially considering the other consoles just launched.

To be quite direct and frank about things, will an American made console ever succeed in Japan period to begin with?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aegeri wrote:
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Zephos wrote:

To be quite direct and frank about things, will an American made console ever succeed in Japan period to begin with?

Here we go. Coffee, burgers, mp3 players. My vote is that it's possible, so let's not accuse the entirety of Japan of racism until at least page 14.

Freezie KO on
    PM me.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aegeri wrote:
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Zephos wrote:

And for the umpteenth time, it's not the fact that it's American made that has given them such a stigma in Japan. American products can do amazingly well over there and sometimes completely dominate their Japanese counterparts if the company making them doesn't fuck them up on a level comparable to Microsoft's handling of the Xbox brand.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Aegeri wrote:
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Zephos wrote:

Here we go. Coffee, burgers, mp3 players, clothes, movies, music. My vote is that it's possible, so let's not accuse the entirety of Japan of racism until at least page 14.

aeolist on
  • Options
    BelenusBelenus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Blue Dragon is all well and good, but what is actually going on with it, gameplay/story wise? I've been spoiled by my Megaten's and my FFXII's lately, so stock-standard RPGs kinda bore me these days.

On that note, what's the status on Lost Odyssey? Just reading the concept of that one makes it an instant purchase for me.

Belenus on
    Contact Friend Code: 4038.0854.4554
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    syndalis wrote:
    Mistwalker and Microsoft Japan have a very fluid and organic relationship, as the head of Microsoft Games Studio Japan is a former Square bigwig, and is close friends with Sakaguchi.

Why do you sound like a press release when you talk about the 360?

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Aoi wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Yup. Um... ?

I was that guy who said "If Oblivion..."

And I still hold to my guns... as this game avoids the one caveat of my statement.

With the kinds of in-game engines we have nowadays, the need for constant FMV is fucking GONE. Occasional usage for MAJOR dramatic points is enough, but the game need not be saturated with FMV.

Blue Dragon is saturated with 720p FMVs. I am sure it will be gorgeous, but I doubt it was really necessary, especially in light of how great the game looks normally.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    syndalis wrote:
    Mistwalker and Microsoft Japan have a very fluid and organic relationship, as the head of Microsoft Games Studio Japan is a former Square bigwig, and is close friends with Sakaguchi.

Ahh, Terrorbyte, its been a while. Nice to see you jump in and try the old "accusational" game with me.

Pardon me, I am going to play my Wii.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    syndalis wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

Ahh, Terrorbyte, its been a while. Nice to see you jump in and try the old "accusational" game with me.

Your frothing paranoia about my posts increases.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Belenus wrote:
    Blue Dragon is all well and good, but what is actually going on with it, gameplay/story wise? I've been spoiled by my Megaten's and my FFXII's lately, so stock-standard RPGs kinda bore me these days.

On that note, what's the status on Lost Odyssey? Just reading the concept of that one makes it an instant purchase for me.
    Blue Dragon looks exactly like Dragon Quest, and Lost Odyssey looks exactly like Final Fantasy (gameplay wise).

Story-wise I don't really know much, but Blue Dragon will probably just be DQ in that area as well. Lost Odyssey sounds like it could be an interesting premise but the last video they showed of it was so supremely unimpressive that my interest in it fell through the floor.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    syndalis wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

Now you sound like Peter Moore. :P

Freezie KO on
    PM me.
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    syndalis wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

Syndalis is the greatest shill who ever lived, every word he types makes me want to buy a 360.

As for the multi DVD thing, I don't mind. I mind on the pc when it comes to installing games on multiple CD's, because that's just lazy these days. But disc switching is fine as long as it holds to the rule of four. Five Disc games are pushing it, but that's not the case here. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are on the short list of games I'll look up when I have a 360.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    Belenus wrote:

Blue Dragon looks exactly like Dragon Quest, and Lost Odyssey looks exactly like Final Fantasy (gameplay wise).

Story-wise I don't really know much, but Blue Dragon will probably just be DQ in that area as well. Lost Odyssey sounds like it could be an interesting premise but the last video they showed of it was so supremely unimpressive that my interest in it fell through the floor.

I 'unno...DQ backed by the power of the 360? I have no qualms.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Zephos wrote:

DoA, NNN, and Enchanted Arms are NOTHING compared to the creator of Final Fantasy. Microsoft signing Mistwalker was by far their biggest, boldest, and smartest move in Japan this generation. We'll see how it goes.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    Belenus wrote:

I'm sure it'll be good, but I haven't bought an old-school DQ style RPG in the past few years, since I've been too occupied with fresher ideas in the genre.

I'm pretty sure I just JRPG'd myself out.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    And I like syn, but to be fair that "fluid and organic relationship" line did sound like something from a Microsoft PR bulletin.

Terrorbyte is still a tool though.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I have a fluid and organic relationship with my Wii.

Freezie KO on
    PM me.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    Belenus wrote:

Dragon Quest VIII [and Tales of Symphonia] are the only two jRPGs I've ever played twice back to back. IE: Finish the game and IMMEDIATELY play through the game again.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Eh, I was waxing poetic. People were talking about how companies are being forced by Microsoft into making this stuff, I had one example to the contrary.

Looking back on it, yeah, it was a bit much... but it left Freezie there such a nice opening for a joke, how could I refuse?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    aeolist wrote:
    Belenus wrote:

I'm sure it'll be good, but I haven't bought an old-school DQ style RPG in the past few years, since I've been too occupied with fresher ideas in the genre.

I've been burnt out on JRPGs for years now. After playing FFVII (sadly, my first RPG), I played pretty much every other RPG under the sun, and since then I'm tired of the cliche'd plots and archaic gameplay.

...But that's just me, the first few RPGs were magical.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    aeolist wrote:
    Belenus wrote:

See, combat system isn't as important to me. Story is. And the last game story Sakaguchi wrote was FF9's, and that is my favorite Final Fantasy. This man wrote the stories for FF1 through 9 and Chrono Trigger. That is more than enough for me.

Plus I've been itching for a great musical score in an RPG for a long time. FF12's is bland. I miss Uematsu. (the last full game he scored was FF9), so that's another HUGE bonus. I love his music.

Then there's Toriyama designing the characters. And he's known to create the characters, personalities and all, not just the designs, and he did the characters for Chrono Trigger, which just happens to be one of my favorite games of all time.

Naturally, I'm hyped. The art style looks like Dragon Quest, but I think it will be a different game, story-wise.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aegeri wrote:
    aeolist wrote:
    Belenus wrote:

Dragon Quest VIII [and Tales of Symphonia] are the only two jRPGs I've ever played twice back to back. IE: Finish the game and IMMEDIATELY play through the game again.
    Trusty Bell looks a lot like the 360 version of a Tales game.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    syndalis wrote:
    Eh, I was waxing poetic. People were talking about how companies are being forced by Microsoft into making this stuff, I had one example to the contrary.

Looking back on it, yeah, it was a bit much... but it left Freezie there such a nice opening for a joke, how could I refuse?

hi5

Freezie KO on
    PM me.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    Aegeri wrote:
    aeolist wrote:
    Belenus wrote:

Trusty Bell looks a lot like the 360 version of a Tales game.

Then I'm glad I decided to jump on the xbox360 ship then XD

Though I'm still open to a PS3, but I'm hoping they tank for good exclusives.

But not even Sony would be stupid enough to lose their crushing hold on exclusives.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So its been a while since this game came out. How is it doing in japan? Any of you guys play it yet?

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    solsovly wrote:
    So its been a while since this game came out. How is it doing in japan? Any of you guys play it yet?
    It sold very well for a week, than dropped off the face of the earth. 360 console sales followed a similar pattern.

By all accounts it is an amazing game. If more games LIKE this come out, folks over there may bite harder, but ti seems the majority of sales for this title will be had in America and Europe.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:
    solsovly wrote:
    It sold very well for a week, than dropped off the face of the earth. 360 console sales followed a similar pattern.

By all accounts it is an amazing game. If more games LIKE this come out, folks over there may bite harder, but ti seems the majority of sales for this title will be had in America and Europe.

Between this and Ninety Nine Nights, it looks like MS' strategy of "winning" Japan with a few big titles isn't working. As has been said over and over, MS needed to follow that up with better localization (a lot of their games aren't even translated into Japanese when released there) and encouraging a stream of more modest games with strong Japanese appeal, and give people a reason to get a 360 beyond just one game.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293