As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is my e.coli resurfacing, or is this all stress related?

UnknownSaintUnknownSaint KasynRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I may go into urgent care later today if this doesn't get any better, and have a doctor's appointment scheduled for Monday (I have to miss my 1st day of a critical summer school course. Whee.).

So a little background. When I was in middle school about 7 years ago I had a very nasty summer where I got e.coli in the intestines and it basically fucked me up for quite a while. I was hospitalized for about a week with some of the most horrendous stomach pains I've ever had, vomiting, diarrhea, the works. It happened on a family vacation, and for the next few years I couldn't even go an hour out of town with them - the very thought of it would make me sick to my stomach again. I eventually got over that and here I am.

Except last weekend I ended up getting way sick, akin to the early stages of what I had last time. This was the morning of the day I had to shoot a good friend's wedding, but I muscled through it and did what I had to do, felt better since.

Until yesterday. Started a new job, boss bought me lunch and I couldn't eat a bite. Felt like I would hurl and could only stomach a few french fries. Ate light the rest of the day and passed out for 10 hours. Felt awful this morning, and drove to my boss' house/office, ready for my 2nd day of work. Except an hour into it and right before we were going to leave I make a fantastic first impression by getting sick, yakking in his toilet (I'm not sure he knows about that part) and excusing myself for the day. I'm at home right now, resting and recovering (still feel sick to my stomach, still running to the bathroom now and then but not nearly as bad as a few hours ago) and about to pass out again, if I feel the same when I wake up I'll head to urgent care.

What I want to know, is if it were possible that my e.coli from years ago is resurfacing, or if it could have possibly done something to my stomach. Or maybe this is stress related? Kind of an elaborate physiological response, but I have a lot of critical things going on in my life right now regarding school and this new job, and I have a little history with stomach illness induced mentally. And on a sidenote, I'm allergic to amoxacillin, which I'm aware is a potential treatment for e.coli.

I probably won't get better information here than I will at the doctor's, but like I said that's already scheduled and I'm wondering if anyone has anything helpful or insightful in the meantime.

Thanks H/A.

UnknownSaint on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man it's hard to say. It could be stress, it could be e. coli, or it could be an ulcer (related to stress). Your best bet is your doctor. But it wouldn't be too far-fetched if it was e. coli (however that stuff is natural isn't it?).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I wouldn't worry about what your boss thinks. It's your second day of work, you don't feel well, but you don't want him to think you're a flake, so you show up, and get sick. It's a perfectly natural reaction. If he holds it against you, he's a douchebag, anyhow.

I don't think it's possible for e-coli to "flare up" again years later. You kill it from your system, it's gone (other than what lives in your large intestine). It's possible you've gotten it again, it's possible it's stress, or it could just be a stomach virus. Your doctor will be able to tell you more.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Man, I wouldn't worry about what your boss thinks. It's your second day of work, you don't feel well, but you don't want him to think you're a flake, so you show up, and get sick. It's a perfectly natural reaction. If he holds it against you, he's a douchebag, anyhow.

I second that, don't kill yourself worrying about what your boss thinks. It's not worth it, and if this is a stress related illness, you're only making it worse.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    May be jumping the gun to assume it's e.coli. Could just be a more garden-variety stomach virus. Go to the doctor and find out.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    May be jumping the gun to assume it's e.coli. Could just be a more garden-variety stomach virus. Go to the doctor and find out.
    Yeah, the odds of any given person getting e-coli that badly are really fucking low. I don't know if having had it before would make you more susceptible or not, though. Odds are, stress or simple stomach virus.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just had a really nasty urinary tract infection that rocked my world for about 2 weeks. The pains you described reminded me of it. Definitely go to a doctor. He should be taking a look at your blood and urine. The first doc I went to didn't do shit; he looked me over, poked me in a few places, and told me I had fucking gastritis. I didn't.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright. I just woke up from about 4 hours of sleep after a ton of sleep last night. It's hard to differentiate hunger pangs from stomach pain, but I'm feeling better. That worries me a bit though, it's kind of hard to explain "Yeah I only get sick when I go to work because of the worry of a new job".

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright. I just woke up from about 4 hours of sleep after a ton of sleep last night. It's hard to differentiate hunger pangs from stomach pain, but I'm feeling better. That worries me a bit though, it's kind of hard to explain "Yeah I only get sick when I go to work because of the worry of a new job".

So don't say that. You had some stomach problems and went to the doctor. You're toughing through now though (say this is in case it is stress related and pops up again).

chromdom on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    Yeah, the odds of any given person getting e-coli that badly are really fucking low. I don't know if having had it before would make you more susceptible or not, though. Odds are, stress or simple stomach virus.

E. coli is normal microflora, everyone has E. coli all the time. The pathogenic strains (EG: O7 H157) may be present at a low level, but should not hang around for a considerable amount of time like that except in extreme circumstances. On the other hand, if you progress to bloody diarrhea that's probably a good bet on an enterohaemorrhagic strain.

There are a wide variety of pathogens that cause those symptoms including:

Campylobacter jejuni
    Salmonella typhi
    Helicobacter pylori (which can also lead to stomach ulcers later down the track)
    Rotavirus
    Norovirus

So there are quite a few on the list. If you had chicken, the first two are possibilities. If you had beef the night before, it's probably E. coli of some sort. If you're just plain unlucky, you have one of the viruses and that's not any fun (no antibiotic treatments for those, you'll have to stick either infection out). Most likely of the two viruses, it's norovirus, rotavirus is generally pretty rare.

If it's microbial in origin and persists for more than 2-3 days, you'll have to see a doctor and get antibiotics/something for it. The longer it goes on for the worse it will get.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    One of my brother's co-workers got E. coli and she threw up so uncontrollably she literally thought she was going to die of suffocation. Can't say that's the case for everyone, but I imagine you'd be hanging on to your toilet for dear life if that's what you had.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png