As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Theatre of Sounds

BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Social Entropy++
This a thread for lovers. Lovers of woofers and tweeters, of mics and speakers, of digital surround sound premiums and hoopty ass rides filled with distortion. We've got you covered.

If you prefer

pwrcd2ltszw9.jpg

or would rather

benefitsofheadphonesay4.jpg

I had a few questions actually:

My cheap ass old Sony headphones just aren't cutting the jib anymore and would like to get something new. I found some Bose headphones I liked but the price is steep as hell. I was wondering if that company really was the best to go with or if comparable quality could be had for less.

Also I am looking for a microphone for my PC for quality recording purposes. I'm thinking a standalone would probably be better than a headset but beyond that I am pretty lost. I've seen a combo pack out there that was reasonably priced and wondered if those were any good. Other than that I was wondering if more money automatically meant more quality of if there was a good happy medium to be had.

And yeah I could have posted this in H/A but I wanted more of a discussion with cool people than just a FAQ.

(tl:dr - talk about music making devices and listening devices.)

Bedlam on

• J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I prefer Astral Sex.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    banal sex

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bass so low and loud it cracks your ribs.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got a logitech mic the other day. It's really good at filtering out background noise, but it picks up on my breath way too easily.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/microphones/devices/221&cl=us,en

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I use sennheiser HD 202 headphones for my needs.

They work very well, I;ve yet to find a music file that noticeably surpasses their quality.

The Black Hunter on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cranial sex

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I got a logitech mic the other day. It's really good at filtering out background noise, but it picks up on my breath way too easily.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/microphones/devices/221&cl=us,en
    I was looking at somthing similar to This but im not too sure.

All I know is that the 15 dollar mic I bought a little bit ago dosent work with a shit.

Bedlam on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That looks niiiice. <3

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My Sennheiser "HD 280 pro" headphones are so fucking lovely and beautiful and way better than the god damn Skull Candy shit I've listened through at the guitar store for 20 dollars more.

I've got all my entertainment shit wired so that at any point I can listen to anything in my place through these headphones - I really had never realized what I was missing and I doubt I could've understood if I told my former self.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love my Ultimate Ears Super Fi 4's.

I want to buy some Ultimate Ears Super fi 5 pros, but I don't like the whole 'over the ear' thing.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like it when they scream too.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited June 2008
    JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    are those noise cancelling earphones I hear about any good?

Robcham on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    can i just ask

i bought some headphones in an airport a few moths back, and i didn't know what the fuck 'skullcandies' were

but now everyone is like dude bitchin' headphones

have i inadvertently bought something cool

Nuzak on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    They are in ear, but you have to wrap them over your ear, almost like a hearing aid. They look retarded.

They're supposedly sublime sounding, though.

edit - like this
    ultimateear-detail.jpg

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    JC of DI wrote: »
    They are in ear, but you have to wrap them over your ear, almost like a hearing aid. They look retarded.

They're supposedly sublime sounding, though.

Wow...I'd noticed people with headphones like that before for athletic things but it was either a plastic or rubber piece that just popped off if you weren't going to be doing cartwheels with your Ipod.

Edit to your edit:

Yeah that would annoy the hell out of me just functionally, much less aesthetically.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • pckl300pckl300 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »
    This a thread for lovers. Lovers of woofers and tweeters, of mics and speakers, of digital surround sound premiums and hoopty ass rides filled with distortion. We've got you covered.

If you prefer

pwrcd2ltszw9.jpg

or would rather

benefitsofheadphonesay4.jpg

I had a few questions actually:

My cheap ass old Sony headphones just aren't cutting the jib anymore and would like to get something new. I found some Bose headphones I liked but the price is steep as hell. I was wondering if that company really was the best to go with or if comparable quality could be had for less.

Also I am looking for a microphone for my PC for quality recording purposes. I'm thinking a standalone would probably be better than a headset but beyond that I am pretty lost. I've seen a combo pack out there that was reasonably priced and wondered if those were any good. Other than that I was wondering if more money automatically meant more quality of if there was a good happy medium to be had.

And yeah I could have posted this in H/A but I wanted more of a discussion with cool people than just a FAQ.

(tl:dr - talk about music making devices and listening devices.)

I have the lower model of Bose noise-cancelling headphones (the $299 one) and I can say that they are absolutely amazing. Put them on and you won't hear a thing coming from the vicinity of 500ft around you. If you actually play sound through them, you won't hear anything at all, except for the sound. Be careful though, a bear could sneak up on you and maul you to death. The sound quality is also very good. Deep punchy bass and clear highs. Definitely a go if you got the cash.

pckl300 on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I use sennheiser HD 202 headphones for my needs.

They work very well, I;ve yet to find a music file that noticeably surpasses their quality.

Yeah I think I have the next step up, the HD 215's.

But the 280's that JC of DI has are probably the best out of the three.

Anyway, the 215's are superb for personal stuff, like listening to music, or gaming. They are closed-back so they block external sound quite well.

Supposedly they ain't as good as open-backs when it comes to more audio-related stuff, due to the way sound resonates through the enclosed space or something like that - but for general use they are excellent value for money.

Also the cable can unplug from the actual headphones, and the cable also comes with a screw-in adapter jack for the larger 6mm inputs (like a guitar amp for example).

Oh, and they come with a little pouch / case thingy.

So yeah, get yourself a pair bedlam, you won't regret.

EDIT: I got them for around $150AUD - the Bose ones above me would blow these out of the water, but you'll have to pay twice as much for 'em.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited June 2008
    I'm surprised the 280's didn't come with a case or anything really, but I take care of my shit anyway so it didn't matter too much to me.

Also got a sweet deal on them, finding them for 60 US bucks through an amazon dealer.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have Sennheiser PC 160s, although they aren't music headphones they're still decent quality and have a microphone because I like games you see.

stimtokolos on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    C-C-CALL ME SO I CAN GET IT JUICY FOR YA

Dadouw on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »

Actually you avoid a lot of PC noise issues simply by getting a USB mic.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bose is notoriously overpriced

potatoe on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gawd no, fuck bose. They're high quality but you pay entirely too much for what you get. When it comes to headphones there are really only two names. Sennheiser and Grado. You can get similar quality in different brands, but not without paying considerably more.

Overall, Grado has the best sound quality, but word is they're a lot more uncomfortable than Sennheiser. Sennheiser is what I've got. A pair of HD 555. They're open air, not noise canceling, but if you're going for sound quality then open air is better than noise-canceling.

That being said if you're really set on noise-canceling, you can't go wrong with Sennheiser. Just as a recommendation though, buy your set from ebay. There are some great sellers of the brand with great reps and they're all like 30 to 60 bucks cheaper than retail, including shipping costs.

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2008
    i love my grados, but they aren't very practical for work (they leak) so i've been thinking about buying some in-ears to keep at my desk

potatoe on
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I love my Ultimate Ears Super Fi 4's.

I want to buy some Ultimate Ears Super fi 5 pros, but I don't like the whole 'over the ear' thing.
    The over the ear thing is fine. Don't all of them have it?

RocketScience on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah the biggest disadvantage to open-air headphones is well everyone else around you can hear what you're listening to almost as well as you can.

Cilla Black on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • gnombolgnombol Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I bought some Koss KSC-50 clip-on phones on the recommendation of someone online, and they are awesome. Lots of bass and great bang for the buck. They don't make that model any more but the KSC-75 seems to be the replacement. If you like for the clip-on style check them out.

Bose are overpriced but I've tried them on and find them so comfortable to wear.

gnombol on
    edited June 2008
    i want 4

potatoe on
    edited June 2008
    All that bose I've tried on use that nasty hard plastic which sticks to your head after you've been wearing them. Ugh.

Cilla Black on
  • ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Air wrote: »
    rolly-1.jpg

I don't see the point of this.
    A speaker system that moves around the floor and "dances" to the music?
    This is just one step above the dancing hula girl you put in your car.

Zombot on
    edited June 2008
    haha its the greatest thing look at it

ive seen a demo of them
    if i recall they actually sound real good, but seems pretty limited and overpriced

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I wouldn't use it because I'd be afraid of someone stepping on it.

Zombot on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah, ever pair I've owned so far has been open and they've all leaked hella sound. so I hear everything around me unless I turn up the sound really high, and if I turn up the sound really high to solve that then everyone else gets to hear all my music, which is really no better.

I've been kind of passively interested in in-ear headphones as a solution to those problems, but, while I know enough about other kinds of headphones that I can steer myself toward a good pair whenever I've needed one, I really don't know anything about in-ear and I'm not sure which sites I can trust. so I had a few questions for the more knowledgeable.

basically, how much would I have to spend to get a good pair of in-ear headphones, one that would isolate me from the noise around at least a little while having great sound quality? which brand should I be looking at? can I do this without spending tons and tons of money?

thaaaankss

redhead on
    edited June 2008
    well you can put in on a desk

i think the whole spinning around and flapping thing actually helps to make it all sound better by changing how the sound comes out of the machine

um heres another video which seems to have better demo sounds that might give you an idea of what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTxdKi77G20

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    my sennheiser hd 280 have lasted about 2 years now... and when they wear out, I am buying another pair, because they are amazing

fallaxdraco on
    edited June 2008

i think the whole spinning around and flapping thing actually helps to make it all sound better by changing how the sound comes out of the machine

um heres another video which seems to have better demo sounds that might give you an idea of what i mean

I'd still be afraid of it falling off the desk.
    How much does it cost?

Zombot on
    edited June 2008
    redhead wrote: »
    yeah, ever pair I've owned so far has been open and they've all leaked hella sound. so I hear everything around me unless I turn up the sound really high, and if I turn up the sound really high to solve that then everyone else gets to hear all my music, which is really no better.

I've been kind of passively interested in in-ear headphones as a solution to those problems, but, while I know enough about other kinds of headphones that I can steer myself toward a good pair whenever I've needed one, I really don't know anything about in-ear and I'm not sure which sites I can trust. so I had a few questions for the more knowledgeable.

basically, how much would I have to spend to get a good pair of in-ear headphones, one that would isolate me from the noise around at least a little while having great sound quality? which brand should I be looking at? can I do this without spending tons and tons of money?

thaaaankss

EP-630.jpg

good and cheap

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Zombot wrote: »

I'd still be afraid of it falling off the desk.
    How much does it cost?

like fucking 400 bucks
    depending on exchange

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg