As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Estiah], Or how to play a mmorpg at work

• DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Playing now as Dyvion... going for cleric to eventual summoner.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I'm on under Kasyn. Maybe when guild systems are thrown in we'll make a PA clan or something.

UnknownSaint on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I have to say, I wasn't expecting much when I first started, and even thought it was a little boring at first, but now I look forward to my daily session of Estiah-ing in the morning, away from the watchful eyes of the bossman.

I didn't realize the username would also double as the player name though, otherwise I would have put more thought into it.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I have to say, I wasn't expecting much when I first started, and even thought it was a little boring at first, but now I look forward to my daily session of Estiah-ing in the morning, away from the watchful eyes of the bossman.

I didn't realize the username would also double as the player name though, otherwise I would have put more thought into it.

That's funny, because I play in -my- morning every day too... but my morning is 12:30 pm. Because I work swing shift. (See what I did there?) I get up and grab a bite of breakfast and Estiah myself for a bit.

In other news my blood flea hasn't won a single race yet, but I still valiantly send him out, hoping one day he will not get stepped on, or stop to smell a flower, or go daydreaming.

Dyvion on
  • TalTal Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit too. It's kind of nice to exhaust your daily options in a few minutes and then go do something else. I'm playing as Einar, since Tal was 2 letters too short.

And here's hoping my bloodsucking flea isn't the first one to drop out this time. :P

Tal on
    edited May 2008
    Tal wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit too. It's kind of nice to exhaust your daily options in a few minutes and then go do something else. I'm playing as Einar, since Tal was 2 letters too short.

And here's hoping my bloodsucking flea isn't the first one to drop out this time. :P

My new high... I dropped out fifth :)

e1: Ok, change in progression. They officially don't oppose multiplaying, because they've built it so that it's extremely difficult to cheat. So I'm going to take Dyvion up Novice>Sage>Slayer, and I'm going to take another character up recuit>cleric>summoner. I failed to apprentice my first character to anyone else (sorry), so could someone PM me so I can apprentice my second character to someone?

e2: Ceylor the (eventual) Summoner has been created, thanks UnknownSaint.

Dyvion on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, still enjoying the game quite a bit. Guilds are coming soon, I wouldn't mind making it and we can see what happens from there.

On a sidenote since we're on the subject, my main character's flea finally started winning some damn races. Not many, but a few. My alt has had amazing luck (well, it's a bit more than that) and has already mastered the other animal skill that you level up only after a win, which means he's won at least 6 times.

UnknownSaint on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, still enjoying the game quite a bit. Guilds are coming soon, I wouldn't mind making it and we can see what happens from there.

On a sidenote since we're on the subject, my main character's flea finally started winning some damn races. Not many, but a few. My alt has had amazing luck (well, it's a bit more than that) and has already mastered the other animal skill that you level up only after a win, which means he's won at least 6 times.

Wow... that's impressive. What kind of animal are you using? What kind of boosts do you give them? I generally give 1 or 2 high value items (like, 75 to 100g), mostly because I don't know if/what effect they have and I have 300g saved up and nothing to buy :)

Dyvion on
    edited May 2008
    It's been all with a bloodsucking flea right now. I've tried other animals but haven't won with 'em yet. A single trophy from winning used as a booster has given me the best success so far. Kind of have to win one in order to win more.

UnknownSaint on
    edited May 2008
    It's been all with a bloodsucking flea right now. I've tried other animals but haven't won with 'em yet. A single trophy from winning used as a booster has given me the best success so far. Kind of have to win one in order to win more.

Kinda like to get a credit card you need good credit and you need a credit card to get good credit to improve your credit enough to get a credit card? I think that worked out right. But in this case you have to be lucky enough to get a windfall you can use as collateral for your credit i.e. winning a race? I'll keep plugging along. Hopefully whoever I'm going up against isn't -also- using a trophy on their critter.

Dyvion on
    edited May 2008
    Hah, 1/1 on pvp. I was attacked by a guy named Tanked and squeaked out a win. He died of exhaustion and I was down to my last charm and 4/56 hp. I think I only got him down to 15/56. My setup needs some work.

Tal on
    edited May 2008
    Tal wrote: »
    Hah, 1/1 on pvp. I was attacked by a guy named Tanked and squeaked out a win. He died of exhaustion and I was down to my last charm and 4/56 hp. I think I only got him down to 15/56. My setup needs some work.

Speaking of setups... do we ever get more than four? Right now 1 is my balanced setup, 2 is my melee setup (with only armors), 3 is my magic setup (with glyphs and no armor) and 4 is my all offense set (with no armor at all, just offensive abilities).

Also, does anyone know if completed skill ranks give bonuses to those abilities, or should I just constantly rotate charms to build up all my skills?

Dyvion on
    edited May 2008
    Good questions.

I'm currently rotating, as I have not noticed any bonuses to sword or frost (my 2 maxed skills currently). I'll max armor soon, and mace is at about 50%, but everything else is 15 or below so it might get pricey buying charms.

Might be time to spend a day or two's points on dungeon and then gathering. Is the item color generally like WoW? Such as the grey items I acquire can safely be sold to vendors without worry about being used in recipes? And then the green+ ones can be saved for the custom items?

Tal on
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That'll teach you to attack me UnknownSaint :P

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had a lot of success leveling my 4 gathering skills. That gave me a level or two. They're pretty easy and you can get some stuff that is good for vendoring too.

I believe I want to go the Inquisitor route, as I really like Shadow magic. I'm getting my ass kicked in pvp though.

captaink on
    edited May 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    I'm getting my ass kicked in pvp though.

Yeah this happens to me as well, I think the downside from the easy levels of gathering is that you don't get any of the dungeon charms. This fight was linked on the game's forums earlier http://www.estiah.com/character/combat/replay/id/6704/owner/10024 and I don't know where half the charms are from even though both players were two levels lower than I am now for this fight.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited May 2008
    Looks like some pvp gear and some crafted stuff. I noticed new crafting stuff in the initial town last time I came through.

Anything Battle ---- is pvp gear created from those soul dusts. It's pretty nice stuff.

The Yeti stuff I imagine is crafted or dungeon loot, but I haven't seen any Yeti stuff.

captaink on
    edited May 2008
    So I won my first race this morning. Bloodsucking flea with a raspberry as a booster.

I put in for another race using the raspberry and tin trophy as boost and was hauling ass, but stopped right before the finish.

Next race is testing with just the trophy and I'll know that in 5 hours or so.

Tal on
  • LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I havent figured out how/where to go to craft yet so can someone fill me in.

Lehman on
    Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
    edited May 2008
    It's in the market. Different towns let you craft different charms.

captaink on
    edited June 2008
    Akira wrote: »

Who are you in-game?

Yeah, I've had some shitty luck lately with attacking. Using power-ups at the wrong time or hitting with a string of magic after the opponent uses a bunch of wards. Somewhat annoying.

UnknownSaint on
    edited June 2008

Who are you in-game?

Yeah, I've had some shitty luck lately with attacking. Using power-ups at the wrong time or hitting with a string of magic after the opponent uses a bunch of wards. Somewhat annoying.

I'm Sakiro, and yeah both fights really should have been my loss if it wasn't for your luck.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited June 2008

Who are you in-game?

I'm Sakiro, and yeah both fights really should have been my loss if it wasn't for your luck.

Yeah, that was crap. >_<

Oh well, better to lose to a PAer than some random. Maybe we can guild it up in the coming weeks when they add that to the game.

We should consider a name sometime soon.

Anyone have any ideas?

UnknownSaint on
    edited June 2008
    How about "The Expected Result"?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/5/5/

Playing a nice simple game... then BOOM! muahahaha.

Dyvion on
    edited June 2008
    I was thinking "Fisticuffs"

Not entirely PA related, but god damnit I like the word and a few others in-game are onboard as well.

UnknownSaint on
  • BungletongueBungletongue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I honestly hope this was a random fight against me (McKilo) and not one this guy actually arranged... o_O

http://www.estiah.com/character/combat/replay/id/17274/owner/10285

Edit: Made fight Public so should be available for view.

Bungletongue on
    edited June 2008
    I honestly hope this was a random fight against me (McKilo) and not one this guy actually arranged... o_O

You have to make the fight public before linking us to a replay. If you did that already, then the link is borked.

On a sidenote, replays are a pretty damn nifty feature of this game. For just two guys making it there is an impressive amount of polish to the game.

UnknownSaint on
  • BungletongueBungletongue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

You have to make the fight public before linking us to a replay. If you did that already, then the link is borked.

On a sidenote, replays are a pretty damn nifty feature of this game. For just two guys making it there is an impressive amount of polish to the game.

Link should be fixed. Does anyone know if fights against extremely lower level players still count towards your PvP ranking? Something in my brain causes me to resist the urge to fight someone 6 levels lower than I. Then again, I'm odd.

Bungletongue on
    edited June 2008
    When you fight someone more than 3 levels below you, the skillups in combat skills you would otherwise gain are replaced by 3 points in a skill called Cruelty. You still get a soul dust or fragment or whathaveyou, though you also don't gain nearly as much PvP rating.

It's really not worth it because you'd slow down your skillups massively, which I think is enough of a deterrance to people who would otherwise gank everyone.

UnknownSaint on
    edited June 2008
    Getting ganked is a benefit if anything though, PvP rank isn't used for anything yet so it basically just gives you free chances to get your Self Defense skill up.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited June 2008
    I found a Yeti in the City Aleas, dungeon Bunny Nesting Grounds. He attacks with 5 bunnies though, and I don't have the firepower yet to take them all out. The Yeti plays fairly defensively with armors/wards and self heals. I'm 0/3, all three times dying of exhaustion. I am only level 5 though, so maybe at 6 I'll have a better chance.

If I was paying attention though I'd of used my job this turn to get +1 pow. Then I could actually use the copper swords I've picked up in previous dungeons.

Tal on
    edited June 2008
    Have a bunch of soul dust in my inventory and was wndering what city to go to where it is used to craft? Dont feel like wasting my travel guessing where to go. Almost at level 6 and am going for a sword/shadow build so will probably pick mercenary when i get there. BTW my in game name is Draggan.

Lehman on
    edited June 2008
    The first city has stuff in the market you can trade it for. Battle "X" charms, they're very good.

captaink on
    edited June 2008
    Linking this super close fight that just happened, pretty entertaining:
    http://www.estiah.com/character/combat/replay/id/19950/owner/10067
    The link said I won but I didn't really believe it after how badly the fight was going for me at the beginning. Even then it's probably the closest fight I've had.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited June 2008
    http://www.estiah.com/character/combat/replay/id/20014/owner/10310

Awesome. I just defended myself against someone 2 levels above me. Take that, easy soul dust pickings!

Tal on
    edited June 2008
    Linking this super close fight that just happened, pretty entertaining:
    http://www.estiah.com/character/combat/replay/id/19950/owner/10067
    The link said I won but I didn't really believe it after how badly the fight was going for me at the beginning. Even then it's probably the closest fight I've had.

Holy crap, that was awesome.

Tal on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that was a good fight. Shaka is a monster, though it helps that anytime he's ever attacked me I throw down awful charms. He has a ton of skills mastered and knows the game a lot better than most, being a beta-er. Oh well.

I wasted over 100 AP today trying to beat the last boss of the Inachis Battle Tournament. >_<

I beat it first try yesterday and got too caught up today. I feel like a noob.

UnknownSaint on
    edited June 2008
    To anyone who played the beta, is it worth it to spend soul dust on the level 7 skills or just save them up for the lvl 12 pvp charms? About to hit 7 and not sure what i should do.

Lehman on
    edited June 2008
    You should spend them on level 7 charms. You don't buy the level 10-20 PvP charms with soul dust, you get them with soul fragments which is the equivalent of soul dust for when you win against someone level 10 or higher. You can exchange dust for fragments, but the exchange rate is like 6 to 1 and you're better off getting the badass charms at 7.

UnknownSaint on
    edited June 2008
    Is there a gold cost for the pvp charms or just dusts?

I'm stocking up on dusts tonight and tomorrow before moving back to the home area to buy charms as I (hopefully) hit level 7. Aside from weapon of choice, maybe an armor / ward or two, is there anything I must acquire?

I should just make an alt so I can look at the list of what's there so I can know exactly how many dusts I need.

Tal on