As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

advice for fighting a false speeding ticket.

DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
ok so I'm going on this road close to home. Limit is 35, I'm going 37. This cop goes past me on the other side of the road (as in, he was driving oposite to me). I see him whip around super fast and lights get thrown on. I'm still driving normal speed and keep going. Not assuming it was me. He catches up and pulls me over telling me I'm doing 52 (WTF?) in a 35. This was largely incorrect and seemed very odd he clocked me while going past and against me on the other side of the road.

I'm going to fight this stupid bullshit, but is there anything I should know going into it?

DarkSymphony on

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't have much advice as it is, but I just wanted to inform you of the fact that police officers certainly can clock you driving the opposite direction. Their lasers work that way.

In fact, I've received two tickets that way.

Edit: Actually, I might have some advice for you, albeit anecdotal.

How many other cars were there on the road? Was it crowded? Or were you pretty much driving alone? I ask because, if I recall correctly, old lasers worked on mass and speed. Faster, heavier objects would be picked up before smaller ones (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong). But the newer lasers are pretty darn accurate. I should know, my step-father is a police officer and I have gone on a few ride-a-longs with him (I think it's pretty interesting).

Is it possible you weren't paying as much attention as you thought you were to your speed? I only ask because if you do bring this up in court to fight it, it's pretty much the cop's word against yours. If he has a reading on you, there's little you can do. You might be able to get the fee and points lowered in court, but I'd say your odds of completely getting the ticket thrown out are pretty slim.

Again, this is just anecdotal, so someone more experienced might be able to be of further help.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    While what this might come down to is a case of he-said you-said, in my experience, it's always worthwhile to fight minor traffic violations.

For 1, it delays how long you have to pay the ticket (if you end up having to pay anyways)
    For 2, if you come off as genuine and contrite, the judge will almost always give you a reprieve of some sort (reduced fine or no loss of demerits)
    For 3, the issuing officer may not even show up or flub up his story, getting you a free pass.

Both myself and my father have done this multiple times and never regretted it. Instructions for fighting the ticket in your area should be printed on the back.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If he was driving at you, an analysis of his dash-cam will clear you. Also, everything Romantic Undead said.

TL DR on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so, when I go to court and fight it, in the event he shows up, do I ask for an analasys of his dash cam? I'm so intent on fighting this because I saw him in the distance and said to myself "better make sure I'm going 35" and sure enough, I'm at 37. I go by thinking nothing is wrong.

then bam, $144 ticket. BULLSHIT.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This may not be 100% percent correct, but I'm pretty sure that in order for them to get you via laser/LIDAR, the operator needs to be stationary. Does your ticket say how you were spotted?

I ask because I was recently pulled over for doing something pretty stupid, and in addition to that stupid thing, the cop mentioned speeding. Fortunately, I assume because I was polite as humanly possible during the stop, he gave me a warning on the speed. When I took a look at the ticket, the speed warning was written as something like "75 in 55 / overtaking."

Anyway, good luck with it. I'll drop by again if I think of anything more constructive.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    so, when I go to court and fight it, in the event he shows up, do I ask for an analasys of his dash cam? I'm so intent on fighting this because I saw him in the distance and said to myself "better make sure I'm going 35" and sure enough, I'm at 37. I go by thinking nothing is wrong.

then bam, $144 ticket. BULLSHIT.

You shouldn't have to ask, this info should be readily available as per standard procedure. Never back-talk the judge or cop though, assuming you know how to do their job better than them, that will get you absolutely nowhere.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This may not be 100% percent correct, but I'm pretty sure that in order for them to get you via laser/LIDAR, the operator needs to be stationary. Does your ticket say how you were spotted?

On older versions of the equipment this was true, but the new guns they have work just fine when moving, when going in the opposite direction, and from a really really really long range.

t OP:

-Was it a crowded road? Possibly he picked the wrong car. (Doubtful)

If you are going to take it to court, make sure you get the maintenance log for the radar gun, and make sure you get the dash cam. If you were really going under 40, you should be able to demonstrate purely on the dash cam that you were not going 25% faster than you really were.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Were you going 52 at any point? You sure you weren't clocked by some earlier/hidden cop?

Fats on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What Fats said is the only thing possible.

From what I hear if you set up a court date you have to pay court fees, which some times could be more than the ticket itself or almost not worth it.

He should have given you a court date, though. In that case, show up and talk to a DA or someone. Be polite, dress nice, and it should be reduced or some such.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What Fats said is the only thing possible.

From what I hear if you set up a court date you have to pay court fees, which some times could be more than the ticket itself or almost not worth it.

He should have given you a court date, though. In that case, show up and talk to a DA or someone. Be polite, dress nice, and it should be reduced or some such.

Court fees are built into the ticket, if the ticket gets overturned they eat the court fees. If you plead guilty to get it reduced those fees will not be reduced, and they probably total about 70$ out of the ticket.

If anyone was with you and they corroborate your story your chances are better. See if you can get the tape reviewed too.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My experience (one ticket of my own, and a couple from friends) is that tickets for minor moving violations (simple speeding, to a lesser extent parking) are almost always reduced if you bother to go in and contest them. Essentially, it's cheaper for the state to buy you off with a reduced fine than it is for them to go through the rigamarole required to assess you the full one, if you are contesting the charge.

You'll be in a muni or county court; the judge may even be in plain clothes. The proceeding will be about as informal as court proceedings get. Just go in, tell them the truth (assuming you going 37 MPH the entire time is the truth) and the ticket should get substantially reduced (or even waived.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fats wrote: »
    Were you going 52 at any point? You sure you weren't clocked by some earlier/hidden cop?

Ah yes, this is a possibility to consider. In a trap, a hidden cop will pin you speeding and radio over to his partner down the road who moves in for the ticket.

Is it possible this might have happened?

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ah yes, this is a possibility to consider. In a trap, a hidden cop will pin you speeding and radio over to his partner down the road who moves in for the ticket.

thats illegal in many jurisdictions

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

What, speed traps? It isn't up here in Canadialand, to my knowledge, and I thought it was pretty common for cops to watch for speeders from concealed areas.

It's not like it's entrapement or anything, there's so sign saying "MAX 60" and then 2 meters behind it saying "JUST KIDDING"

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are you sure your speedometer is accurate? Now 20 MPH inaccuracy would be pretty high, but still you could have been going faster then it was reading.

Neaden on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

You're going to have to provide proof of this. This is another one of those urban legends by people who don't know the law just enough to put 2 and 2 together and end up with a 5.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's illegal in zero jurisdictions. Yes, Entrapment is illegal, which typically involves buying drugs or sex in a sting operation, but a traffic speed trap is nowhere near illegal, nor is it uncommon.

This is the along the same vein as "if you're a cop you have to tell me" (no, they don't) or "you need a warrant for that" (Probable Cause is good enough in many cases, according to the law). It's BS and it'll just end up making you look foolish if you use the argument in court.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Makershot wrote: »

It's illegal in zero jurisdictions. Yes, Entrapment is illegal, which involves buying drugs or sex in a sting operation, but a traffic speed trap is nowhere near illegal, nor is it uncommon.

This is the along the same vein as "if you're a cop you have to tell me" (no, they don't) or "you need a warrant for that" (Probable Cause is good enough in many cases, according to the law). It's BS and it'll just end up making you look foolish if you use the argument in court.

buy drugs, or sex, isn't entrapment, and neither is selling, try again.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Entrapment. It happens mostly in drug- or prostitution-related cases.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I know what entrapment is, but as long as you do it right and make them mention money or purchasing, theres specific key words that they use in these busts, you won't be able to pull an entrapment defense.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Entrapment. It happens mostly in drug- or prostitution-related cases.

Yes, we get it, but there's a difference between Entrapment and a Sting Operation. But that's off topic.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    I know what entrapment is, but as long as you do it right and make them mention money or purchasing, theres specific key words that they use in these busts, you won't be able to pull an entrapment defense.

I am not a cop.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

It's illegal in zero jurisdictions. Yes, Entrapment is illegal, which involves buying drugs or sex in a sting operation, but a traffic speed trap is nowhere near illegal, nor is it uncommon.

buy drugs, or sex, isn't entrapment, and neither is selling, try again.

Entrapment has nothing to do with this thread, but if a cop comes up to you and offers to sell you weed and then arrests you when you pull out some cash, that is entrapment, because the crime would not have occurred without police action to incite the crime. Stings are an exception but those pretty much only get set up when pursuing people on the business-end of drug trafficking, not so much random pot-heads, and in order to set up a sting you need sufficient probable cause to get court approval, and even in the case of a sting the police generally have to be careful not to incite the criminal activity they're trying to arrest for. Also not everything that the police will claim constitutes probable cause will actually hold up in court, if you have a decent defense attorney.

A speed-trap, however, is never going to be entrapment unless a cop tells you to race them and then pulls you over. If you speed of your own volition, without any encouragement from the police, no means of ticketing you is going to constitute entrapment. Nor is a speed-trap really a sting-operation.

And thus there is no more discussion of entrapment here, because it's entirely irrelevant.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Depending on what state you're in you might be able to keep postponing the court date until the officer leaves. The New York State Troopers send their new guys to the northern towns (Like 150 miles north of Albany) to get broken in. They usually end up pulling a lot of traffic detail as there's no real crime and are gone in 6 months to 2 years. Its legal to postpone your court appearances -- so a lot of people just keep postponing until the cop is gone. Then you get off because they didn't show up.

Its a huge pain and takes a lot of effort on your part to be a slacker, but it DOES work.

Also, if you were seriously going 37 in a 35 and he said you were doing 52 you can probably figure out some sort of math that would back you up. Like, I passed this sign at 3:50 p.m. and he pulled me over at this location at 3:52. So if my calculations are correct -- we're in 1955. Or some such. Judges hate math. Anyway I've heard of people using math to back up their case.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Out of curiosity have you increased the size of your rims? Since a car's spedometer is calibrated to a certain size tire, increasing the size of your rims will throw off the spedometer. I've heard of them being as much as 10 MPH off.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mishra wrote: »
    Out of curiosity have you increased the size of your rims? Since a car's spedometer is calibrated to a certain size tire, increasing the size of your rims will throw off the spedometer. I've heard of them being as much as 10 MPH off.

Do you know if it generally goes one way or the other, as in incorrect-faster or incorrect-slower? I ask because the car I just bought has aftermarket 20" wheels (up from 18" stock, I think), and it would be something to keep in mind.

Thanks.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Do you know if it generally goes one way or the other, as in incorrect-faster or incorrect-slower? I ask because the car I just bought has aftermarket 20" wheels (up from 18" stock, I think), and it would be something to keep in mind.

Thanks.

I remember a similar thread a few weeks ago in which somebody claimed it was illegal for a speedometer to read under the actual speed (i.e. reading 50mph when you're actually going 60), but it is perfectly legal for the opposite to hold true (seeing 60 but moving 50).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Thanks.

The speedometer takes the number of rotations of your wheel and multiplies it by the circumference to get distance traveled. So increase the size, you get a larger distance traveled for the same number of rotations. So increase the size of your wheels without telling your speedometer and it'll underestimate the speed you're traveling.

Edit::Rough calculation your speedometer underestimates by about 10% so when you think you're doing 50 your doing 55. Test it out next time you see one of those radar things that announce your speed.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Edit::Rough calculation your speedometer underestimates by about 10% so when you think you're doing 50 your doing 55. Test it out next time you see one of those radar things that announce your speed.

Actually the opposite tends to hold true. IE think you're going 55 and really going 50.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Speaking from personal experience, most speedometers read about 5-10% faster than the car is really going. If you increase the total height of the tire, the speedometer reading:actual speed ratio will drop (taller tire results in lower reading because the axle rotates slower at a given speed).

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It looks like you're in Vermont. It gets said a lot, and it's very true, but unless the people who are advising you are in Vermont, their advice is pretty moot. In fact, unless they are in the county of VT that you're in, the advice is probably moot.

Traffic laws and procedures vary greatly from state to state. In some states, they are minor criminal offenses and in some states they are purely civil. Things are REALLY different from place to place. In some states, you can take a ticket to a jury trial. In some states, the state can get multiple continuences until the cop shows. I've even heard of judicial notice being taken over radar guns being accurate to within 1 mph.

So... find someone in your state. Then go from there.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Actually the opposite tends to hold true. IE think you're going 55 and really going 50.

No 18" tires have a circumference of 113 inches give or take or roughly 9.5 ft traveled per rotation, a 20" tire has a circumference of 125 inches or 10.5 ft. The speedometer takes RPM(well rph i guess) and multiplies by this distance to produce MPH so if it's reading 1000 RPH it thinks your traveling at 9500 ft/hr when in reality your traveling at 10500 ft/hr. Increasing your tire size causes the speedometer to underestimate.

Mishra on
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited June 2008

No 18" tires have a circumference of 113 inches give or take or roughly 9.5 ft traveled per rotation, a 20" tire has a circumference of 125 inches or 10.5 ft. The speedometer takes RPM(well rph i guess) and multiplies by this distance to produce MPH so if it's reading 1000 RPH it thinks your traveling at 9500 ft/hr when in reality your traveling at 10500 ft/hr. Increasing your tire size causes the speedometer to underestimate.

You're making it sound like a speedometer always underestimates your speed out of the factory in your original post. I was just stating for legal reasons the opposite tends to be true.

DeShadowC on