As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics made by people named Allan (Shirt on page 15)

• Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    to be honest, i preferred the hatched black/drawn by hand look. it felt more personal, you know? like it was more connected to your life, because i could actually imagine someone drawing something like that on a piece of paper while they sat in class or something.

don't get me wrong, the solid colours look really nice, it's just that i thought the older stuff just fit in better.

Grim Outlook on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Your comic is fresh and enjoyable. Don't stop! :D

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Verily. Anachronistic word jokes are the best.

He does look like he's sniffing the bill- not sure if that was intentional.

Tam on
  • PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    inside_me.jpg

Pilcrow on
  • AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Your comic is fresh and enjoyable. Don't stop! :D

Thank you! :D
    to be honest, i preferred the hatched black/drawn by hand look. it felt more personal, you know? like it was more connected to your life, because i could actually imagine someone drawing something like that on a piece of paper while they sat in class or something.

don't get me wrong, the solid colours look really nice, it's just that i thought the older stuff just fit in better.

You bring up a great point... I was doing the whole drawing thing in class with these, and now I'm merely penciling rough draft so I don't forget what happened.

What do you think about maybe JUST the new style on the weekends or something?

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i think mixing up the styles would be pretty cool, that way people would get to see the nice, clean looking drawings, but you'd still be able to show off that "classic allan" style.

but don't go on just my opinion, some people might prefer the newer stuff more than the old ink ones.

Grim Outlook on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I agree with you, Grim. That old rough style brought a lot of character to the table. But, the new, clean style is nice too. Seeing both would be cool.

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    i think mixing up the styles would be pretty cool, that way people would get to see the nice, clean looking drawings, but you'd still be able to show off that "classic allan" style.

but don't go on just my opinion, some people might prefer the newer stuff more than the old ink ones.

Alright, I think what I'll do is:

Regular sketchy style Monday-Friday

Clean Digital 3-color style Saturday-Sunday

There are a few options for full color/shading that I'm currently considering for Sunday, but those are still under consideration.
    CapnMango wrote: »
    I agree with you, Grim. That old rough style brought a lot of character to the table. But, the new, clean style is nice too. Seeing both would be cool.

Thanks, Mango. I'll be sure to start using both styles ASAP!

Allan on
    edited May 2008
    I demand to know more about how you punched that guy in the head.

Tam on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »

He told people about his comic?

Godfather on
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

exact details about fist to head contact.

Tam on
    edited May 2008

As my metacarpals and phalanges compacted to his left zygomatic bone at approximately 17.8816 m / s, a swift "tud" could be heard. He spun rightwards, away from me, as his black-rimmed glasses fell to the floor, bent and skewed.

On his knees breathing heavily he mustered up not a word, shocked by the moments-ago event. I turned with my head held low and sauntered away--I had let my temper get a hold of me and I knew that trouble this way soon came.

Another wasted friendship.

Another Friday.

Allan on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Allan wrote: »

As my metacarpals and phalanges compacted to his left zygomatic bone at approximately 17.8816 m / s, a swift "tud" could be heard. He spun rightwards, away from me, as his black-rimmed glasses fell to the floor, bent and skewed.

On his knees breathing heavily he mustered up not a word, shocked by the moments-ago event. I turned with my head held low and sauntered away--I had let my temper get a hold of me and I knew that trouble this way soon came.

Another Friday.

Best post ever?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited May 2008
    Aumni wrote: »
    Best post ever?
    I don't want to took my own horn...

Yes. Yes it was.

Allan on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aumni wrote: »

Another Friday.

Best post ever?

Reported for awesome.

KalTorak on
    edited May 2008
    Uh oh Allan, looks like you got on Scott of VGCats' links page. If he manages to put that on the front page you best prepare yourself for a huge traffic spike.

Godfather on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The report for awesome forced me to check out your comic.

So far I am enjoying it. Reached the start of guest comics as you go to your great aunts funeral, I look forward to reading how the concert went.

Seg on
  • The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When I first this post I was like ... hmm, looks so crappy, but then I began to read them and like everyone else. I think I'm falling in love and we come to love not by finding perfection, but by learning to see imperfections perfectly. I love this comic!

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hi, Allen, I just finished reading all your comics. Just now. It's 5:06 AM here. I thought I'd let you know.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    The report for awesome forced me to check out your comic.

So far I am enjoying it. Reached the start of guest comics as you go to your great aunts funeral, I look forward to reading how the concert went.

YOU ARE IN FOR QUITE A SURPRISE!

Allan on
  • UpfishUpfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Allan I had a dream last night that it was your birthday and everyone from the internet was invited. Everyone from the internet was represented by people I know. The party was at my house, or at least somewhere I had a bed and desk. I bought you a DVD and I made you a card by drawing on paper with chocolate syrup squirted from a squeeze bottle. It was a two-panel comic; in the first panel, you said "My name is Allan."
    In the second panel you said "It's my birthday!". There was going to be someone else in the second panel saying "Allan I want you inside me" but I forgot to do this.
    So there's a party. And so many people are there. I am telling my sister about the DVD I bought you, when I realize that I can't find the DVD. I am so upset. I look all over for it, finding nothing. "I lost Allan's birthday present!" I say.
    I find you and give you the card. I apologize for losing your gift. The rest of the party goes well, and you say that the party will continue at your house, where everyone is once again invited. I follow everyone to your house. You go into your room with one of your friends and as I pass by the room, I hear you say "Yeah, I stole it." I press my eye to the keyhole, and see you holding the DVD I had lost. I would have given it to you anyway, Allan! It was your birthday!
    But even though I had heard it from your own mouth, I didn't believe it. I knew that the real Allan would never steal. For the rest of the night, I thought this to myself.

Later on in the dream, I found my dog, which in the dream I had lost a few months before.

Upfish on
    edited May 2008
    Upfish wrote: »
    Allan I had a dream last night that it was your birthday and everyone from the internet was invited. Everyone from the internet was represented by people I know. The party was at my house, or at least somewhere I had a bed and desk. I bought you a DVD and I made you a card by drawing on paper with chocolate syrup squirted from a squeeze bottle. It was a two-panel comic; in the first panel, you said "My name is Allan."
    In the second panel you said "It's my birthday!". There was going to be someone else in the second panel saying "Allan I want you inside me" but I forgot to do this.
    So there's a party. And so many people are there. I am telling my sister about the DVD I bought you, when I realize that I can't find the DVD. I am so upset. I look all over for it, finding nothing. "I lost Allan's birthday present!" I say.
    I find you and give you the card. I apologize for losing your gift. The rest of the party goes well, and you say that the party will continue at your house, where everyone is once again invited. I follow everyone to your house. You go into your room with one of your friends and as I pass by the room, I hear you say "Yeah, I stole it." I press my eye to the keyhole, and see you holding the DVD I had lost. I would have given it to you anyway, Allan! It was your birthday!
    But even though I had heard it from your own mouth, I didn't believe it. I knew that the real Allan would never steal. For the rest of the night, I thought this to myself.

Later on in the dream, I found my dog, which in the dream I had lost a few months before.
    Oh my God.

Upfish, you can dream about me any time.

Tell me, what did I sound like in your dream?

Allan on
  • 8BitLoser8BitLoser Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was just scanning through the forum and was like "Allan? The Allan which I am aware of?" and sure enough it is! Sweet!
    Obviously I read Allan and enjoy it profusely (obvious to Allan anyway, since this is pre-established information for him, and now it is obvious to others because... I just said it.)

So yeah, just felt like acknowledging that.

8BitLoser on
    iBz0aDtohhUJR.gif The Secret Life of a Journal Comic -
    In which you watch my shameful life and hopefully laugh at me.
    edited May 2008
    20080527.gif

This made me laugh way harder than I should have.

My sense of humor is weird it seems.

Godfather on
    edited May 2008
    Oh my God.

Upfish, you can dream about me any time.

Tell me, what did I sound like in your dream?

I can't recall.
    I remember that the DVD was Street Fighter. Blanka was there and I think he was holding a glowing ball of ki.

Upfish on
    edited May 2008
    I can't recall.
    I remember that the DVD was Street Fighter. Blanka was there and I think he was holding a glowing ball of ki.
    This sounds like a dream I need to illustrate...

Allan on
  • Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Good comic man, I'm pretty impressed at it considering your age (yes that is a terrible thing to say).
    Website design is pretty rad as well man.

Shifty Fister on
    edited May 2008
    This sounds like a dream I need to illustrate...

I would be thrilled, Allan.

And quit that Age of Conan.

Upfish on
    edited May 2008
    I would be thrilled, Allan.

And quit that Age of Conan.
    That is like asking me to quit God.

Oh ye of little faith.

Allan on
    edited May 2008
    EDIT: Noooo let's not go there.

Godfather on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh God man, oh God.

I just hit comic 208. I felt instantly ill.

I don't know how you've sucked me in like this. I'm grateful, but at the same time... oh man.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
    edited June 2008
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Oh God man, oh God.

I just hit comic 208. I felt instantly ill.

I don't know how you've sucked me in like this. I'm grateful, but at the same time... oh man.
    I love that it actually gets a response out of readers. This is what keeps me going.

Allan on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i don't think i could do this kind of comic

if only for the sole reason that i couldn't trust myself to not exaggerate on the events of my life because my life is incredibly boring

Projeck on
  • The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I couldn't do it for the fact that it would depress me immensely to do one every day and what I know it will be about. Such is life.

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goddamnit, I can't put this shit down. Damn you Allan.

Christ though, it makes me realise how dull my teenage years were.

SpongeCake on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    so i just sat down and read em' all

i dig your style, got anything not from the comic?

Projeck on
    edited June 2008
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Your comic just helped me waste most of the day at work.

Cant believe I read them all.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Karen_LeslieKaren_Leslie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bookmarked you for later reading.

Right now I'm having a tiny bit of trouble reading the text at times, but it's still way more legible than my handwriting is:). Looks promising so far.

Karen_Leslie on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I was away for about a week and just now caught back up.

I had the EXACT same reaction to "The Truman Show" when I saw it. That movie seriously fucked my mind for years afterward. I'd be alone doing something and I'd be like "...well shit, what does the audience think about that?" And yes, I still get flashes of it too. Good to know I'm not the only one :P

KalTorak on